Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

The mini everyone has always wanted, losi 1/14th 8ight

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

The mini everyone has always wanted, losi 1/14th 8ight

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 03:45 AM
booh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The mini everyone has always wanted, losi 1/14th 8ight

ORIGINAL: neiloid

Hi booh

Are you using the whole MLST2 shock or just the Ti-Ni shafts from them?
Good job on your homemade carbon goodies, I look forward to seeing what else you come up with.

Also looks like a custom painted shell in the third pic, any chance of a better picture?

T-Bone bumpers are very good, I've got the smaller race version (?) on the front and skid on the rear.

Be sure to post pics once they are installed.

there just the ti-ni shafts i had them lying around from when i had a mlst2 and forgot i had them until i found them again so i thought lets see if they fit and they did the custom shell is just a ftx fury body i will post a nother pic later and your right about the t-bones they do save me from breaking things andaim not sure any more carbon goodies wil be coming for awhile unless i break something else and heres the best bit of news ive heard in a while guess who`s making new a arms for this little beast any guess`s

some good news rpm rc are making a arms for the mini 8ight heres the email i just reieved from them.

RPM Answer Man [email protected]

12:45 AM (11 hours ago)

to me

Dear Stuart,

You're in luck. We're in the final stages of completing the molds for both front and rear a-arms for the mini 8ight. We're hoping to have them posted on our website by the end of the week. They should be widely available in the USA within a month after that. With respect to availability in Scotland, as soon as you see them posted on the RPM website, contact our UK distributor (CML Distributing) and make sure they get some in stock for you. I hope this helps.

take care and thank you for your interest and support of RPM products. If you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to send us another e-mail.

here the ftx body

Old 06-12-2012, 07:17 AM
neiloid

Good news on RPM making A arms, not that I've broken any yet, but if I do I know where I'll be going for replacements !

Just got a couple of hop ups from Lee over at UK-microRC (4 cell racer) I wasn't looking to replace the rear shock tower or upper deck but the deal was too good to miss.

They are from RC Imports and are nicely finished (countersunk where they need to be) and all the holes lined up and it was a 10 minute install. Also took the opportunity to take out another couple of silver lock nuts and replace them with black ones - it all looks very stealth.

Love the look of the parts and hopefully the rear tower will add strength and the upper deck also, whilst lowering COG slightly

You can also see my vent hole in the last picture.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62333.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1771455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34465.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1771456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz66952.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1771457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29533.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1771458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr93258.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1771459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg63175.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1771460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt33285.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1771461  
Old 06-13-2012, 09:37 PM
J0EC00L
My Feedback: (3)

Booh,

That's awesome RPM is making some arms! I have always enjoyed their products and literally have ordered a set of arms for every RC I've owned.

Can't beat their quality and craftsmanship. It takes a serious amount of retarded effort to break one of their arms. My apologies to anyone if hearing the word retarded is offensive. My intentions were aimed at the acting not the diagnosed

Old 06-13-2012, 09:39 PM
J0EC00L

Neil.

That buggy is looking better every time we see a photo. I ordered that iPhone stand by gorilla mobile. Can't wait to try it out.

Pretty soon you're entire rc will CF

Joe
Old 06-14-2012, 07:48 AM
booh

ORIGINAL: J0EC00L

Booh,

That's awesome RPM is making some arms! I have always enjoyed their products and literally have ordered a set of arms for every RC I've owned.

Can't beat their quality and craftsmanship. It takes a serious amount of retarded effort to break one of their arms. My apologies to anyone if hearing the word retarded is offensive. My intentions were aimed at the acting not the diagnosed

they`ll be availible on the 3/7/2012 acording to the rpm site iam hoping to get some but i think they will be sold out pretty quick
Old 06-14-2012, 08:31 AM
neiloid

Joe, that is the last of the upgrades, unless something breaks !

The only other thing would be the ESC to either an EZrun or a CC Mini Micro Pro (I've got a spare Sidewinder micro but I've read it's not up to the job).

Had a blast yesterday driving and jumping it in thick short grass, then spraying stone on a loose gravel surface and finally balding a set of worn stock tyres on a newly tarmacked road outside the house.

Got 30 minutes plus out of a Turnigy 2200 2S pack and whilst the ESC was hot it wasn't burning hot to the touch and the motor was just hot - obviously the venting has helped. I might vent the windshield next....

Anyhow, at some point during the proceedings I lost drive to the front wheels - but on inspection it was the grub screw that holds the centre drive cup had backed off so I simply re-tightened it and blue loc-tited both front and rear to stop it happening again. Luckily it didn't come all the way out or I'd never have found it !

Dead chuffed with how tough this little guy is, I had a few three foot drop landing that were less than perfect and it didn't bat an eye and just kept on running - I'm sure in part that is due to the aluminum hinge pin holders.

Also like the way the little lexan rear axle guards kept the grass and such like from wrapping round the drive shafts, it's a great little add on.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:38 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Hey guys. Looking at this buggy again. Still looks interesting to me. What is the biggest size 3s lipo it can fit? I want good run times. How does the motor/esc hold up on 3s? Does castle have any combos to swap out motor/esc?
Old 09-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Eman77

I'm no Losi mini 8ight expert, but 3s on a regular 1/10 scale is just insane, asking for drivetrain issues. I can't imagine you'd want 3s on a 1/14.

If you want more runtime, go for a bigger capacity 2s, not a 3s! You want more capacity for runtime, not voltage.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:22 AM
cumminspower5.9

Oh I know Eman. I was reading BigSquidRC's review on this car and they were running 3s on it so I figured it would be ok. So what would be the max mah with a 2s I could go?
Old 09-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Eman77

Ah, sorry, my bad then. Carry on!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:46 AM
cumminspower5.9

I see what you are saying tho. I mean I only run my XS on 2s.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Paron34
My Feedback: (1)

2s are terribly boring .... 3's are more like a nitro engine in speed torque, but your right running 3s on the Mini 8ight will give you drive train problems my sons has been clicking when turning almost the sound a CV joint makes on a car when turning ill be buying some 2s for him after I find the problem with the car.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:48 PM
J0EC00L

Hey guys,

If any of ya'll are interested, I'm sure no one is, but I'm letting go of my stock ESC and Motor, along with a Carbon Fiber Top Plate and Sway Bar kit (both in packaging).

Also letting go of my Mamba Micro Pro ESC and Castle CM4600 KV Motor. I haven't driven my M8 in months. Don't want to sell it, cus I've got a lot invested, and have the suspension dialed in. Electronics can easily be replaced though, so figured I'd let them go to someone who would get more use out of them for the time being. The castle electronics are practically new, only a handful of runs on them.

PM me if interested.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:30 AM
neiloid

Hey Joe
Thought you'd been a bit quiet - what you moved onto now?
PM sent.
Cheers, Neil
Old 11-17-2012, 07:43 PM
baddley

Hi

I know this has probably been covered already but what battery will fit in this buggy for maximum run time ? I realize you can mod the frame to fit a bigger battery but I would like to keep it simple for now.

My son will be getting this buggy for christmas, he will use it for bashing not racing so I am looking for the most run time and performance out of a 2 or 3 cell pack. What is your reccomendation ?

Also has anyobdy expierenced overheating or thermal cutoff issues on the stock ESC with a 3s LIPO ?

Thanks for the help
Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 AM
KRO

ORIGINAL: baddley

Hi

I know this has probably been covered already but what battery will fit in this buggy for maximum run time ? I realize you can mod the frame to fit a bigger battery but I would like to keep it simple for now.

My son will be getting this buggy for christmas, he will use it for bashing not racing so I am looking for the most run time and performance out of a 2 or 3 cell pack. What is your reccomendation ?

Also has anyobdy expierenced overheating or thermal cutoff issues on the stock ESC with a 3s LIPO ?

Thanks for the help

My fave 2s pack are these ......
[link]http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15088__Turnigy_1700mAh_2S_20C_Lipo_Pack_Suits_1_ 16th_Monster_Beatle_SCT_Buggy_.html[/link]

I dont run 3s but I have heard of overheating problems running it , 2s is plenty IMO and its easier on the car ....
Old 11-25-2012, 10:33 PM
beaker151

Your correct that this is not a rally car but with a little tuning of the suspension with both internal and external limiters on the shocks and a change of tires this car could definitely dominate the traxxas 1/16 rally. I'm about to get two mini 8ights, one for off road racing and one for rally and I have a few hop ups that should allow this car to preform much better than the the traxxas rally. Though I'm not letting cat out of the bag yet, need to put it together first but I believe some of these hop ups will also carry over to off road.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:18 AM
flutag

Bought a mini 8 yesterday, raced it last night. I race indoor oncarpet. Anybody know of foam tire/rim combo that would fit on the mini?
Old 03-22-2013, 04:12 PM
bbqflyer

I bought a mini 8ight a couple of months ago and it's a blast.  Recently though, it has begun to act up.  It acts glitchy and then will not respond to the transmitter.  Horizon replaced the receiver for me, at no cost, but it is still doing it.  Could it possibly be the ESC?  Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:53 AM
fernandoelizondo

Hey guys, ive been looking at the losi mini eight for a while now and i was wondering if some of you could tell me if you'd recommend it for a semi begginer. I recently built a tamiya blitzer beetle and it is a fun car but it doesnt have the power im looking for. I want a car that can jump, and that i can drive anywhere, dirt , track, backyard, ect. Would you recomend this car for that?
Old 01-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Shocknyou

I have the mini 8 and think it could handle 1/10th scale motor and electronics however with the available 1/18th scale options I don't think this would be necessary. You will want to upgrade the servo in the future
Old 01-27-2014, 06:46 PM
Shocknyou

Originally Posted by bbqflyer
I bought a mini 8ight a couple of months ago and it's a blast. *Recently though, it has begun to act up. *It acts glitchy and then will not respond to the transmitter. *Horizon replaced the receiver for me, at no cost, but it is still doing it. *Could it possibly be the ESC? *Any help would be much appreciated.
Its a great beginner car. I have a 9 yr old son that can run the hell of it.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Shocknyou

Originally Posted by bbqflyer
I bought a mini 8ight a couple of months ago and it's a blast. *Recently though, it has begun to act up. *It acts glitchy and then will not respond to the transmitter. *Horizon replaced the receiver for me, at no cost, but it is still doing it. *Could it possibly be the ESC? *Any help would be much appreciated.
first try the new batteries and possibly rebind it. Also if you are running 3s lipo you might have damaged the esc as the car doesn't seem to handle that battery strength well