Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Old 07-07-2013, 06:50 AM
2.4ghs
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

that is what i thought, I did double check CG and it is right on Now but that 2lbs dead weight is stupid. I think it would be best to pull that out without even trying to fly it and I have a 45cc that will be much better, I just thought sense it was there I would try it, but i am also at 5800 ft ASL

thanks for the input
Old 07-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

How did you check your CG? Back in this thread there is a simple method. Make a mark on the fuse handle 1 inch forward of the rear bolt and balance there.That is what I use and it is good.

I use a DA-50 in mine but I had to move my battery far back into the fuse and add a little tail weight to get it to balance. I am sure the DA is heavier than the ST-2500, but not by 32oz, maybe 20 oz. But I would go with the 45cc, get better performance rather than add dead weight.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:38 AM
2.4ghs

that is the way I did it also, I first did it on the venessa rig and then under the top wing 6 3/8" back then I read the posts and found the easy way It is right on the money now, but that is with 2lbs in the nose I don't like adding dead weight, your right the 45 will give it way better performance. I also have a 55cc and I am thinking that also but I think that is over kill but I like over kill to a point. As you can see I love over kill, I just got back into RC after 15 years of building show cars and doing the show curicut and let me tell you this is a lot cheaper and a hell of alot more fun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42446.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	1898317  
Old 07-07-2013, 11:30 AM
mstcitabria73
My Feedback: (1)

2.4ghs,
listen to Uncas as I agree with him and go with the 55cc, great combo with the Ulti, you will not be disappointed.......
Old 07-07-2013, 01:10 PM
2.4ghs

Thanks again I will do that, I believe it will be alot more fun.

Thanks guys for the input

ORIGINAL: mstcitabria73

2.4ghs,
listen to Uncas as I agree with him and go with the 55cc, great combo with theUlti, you will not be disappointed.......
Old 07-09-2013, 11:17 AM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

UPDATE ....
For last couple of days I've been working on completing m Ultimate. The fuel tank, receiver, switches, voltage regulator, fuel lines, and CDIare now installed. I've ordered two new LIFPo batteries to power the receiver and ignition and Ihope they will be here by the end of the week. I had intended to install an opto-kill but, have run out of receiver ports so, I'll use the throttle cut function for that purpose. I'll be running the right and left ailerons on separate channels which will give me better control over trim functions/adjustments. However, mechanical adjustment between upper and lower ailerons on each side will need to be very accurate and the linkage provided should make that fairly easy. I've matched the 4 servos in type and model in hopes that they will accurately move the same. If not, I'll replace them with programmable servos.
It's getting closer to completion and I'm getting a bit nervous about mounting the top wing. I know it's a critical issue and Iwant to get it right the first time. Ineed to study and trial fit everything to ensure all goes well.
Next time Ipost it should be with pictures of the completed bird ....I hope.

RJ
Old 07-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Fl_Matt

I would try and procure a receiver with more channels. IMHO throttle cut is not a reliable way of shutting down a gasser for many reasons.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:53 PM
PropsnWings

You will be fine. I see no reason you "must" have an optical kill. Throttle cut , along with a switch on the plane is the way many of us flew gasses for years.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:56 PM
2.4ghs

been working for me for 25+ years without a problem, I ike to make sure that it will kill at even 50% throttle. The only problem is that if your servo goes bad then your SOL
I just hate plugging in extra stuff in my rx.
I have never had a throttle servo go bad also, if it does I guess I wait till it runs out of gas.

ORIGINAL: PropsnWings

You will be fine. I see no reason you "must" have an optical kill. Throttle cut , along with a switch on the plane is the way many of us flew gasses for years.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:55 PM
rowdyjoe

Ooooops. Ijust remembered ....I could connect the opto-kill on a Y connector with the receiver power terminal (another advantage of Hitech receivers)but, I'm using throttle cutoff on my other gassers and it works fine. If throttle cut doesn't work Ican always turn off the switch but, it's nice to be able to cut it off remotely. Ihad an opto-kill on my 30% Edge and it worked well but, found it wasn't a necessary piece of equipment.
I've never had a throttle servo fail but, I've had one come loose. An add-on servo mount came loose and the throttle was stuck at about 1/4. I had set the throttle cut-off set as a backup and it worked. I dead sticked into the grass and then hit the power switch to kill the ignition. No damage at all.
There's no danger of that happening with the Ultimate as the throttle servo is mounted in the slot on the engine mount box. It's pretty solid there.
The only advantage I can see to the opto-kill is the LEDthat tells me when the ignition is on. Ican wire one of those into the system very easily without it. I'd like to mount the LED in the cockpit so Ican see it easily through the canopy.

RJ

Old 07-10-2013, 06:12 PM
rowdyjoe

I gathered up my nerve and decided to tackle the upper wing assembly and installation today. I attached the ailerons and installed the servos and linkage and then dry fit the wing halves. I set up a rack in the garage and mounted the lower wing, install the "I"struts and assembled the upper wing. Using 30 min. epoxy, Ihad plenty of time to work with getting the wing installed. The slowest part was tightening the bolts on the cabanes. Those small nuts and bolts are hard for this old man to work with but, Imanaged to get it done with time to spare.
While the epoxy was setting, I carried it gently out in the yard for some pictures. It won't be long before it's ready to fly. I'll let it cure over night and remove the wings tomorrow and finish installing the servo leads into the fuselage. What a pain that will be at the field. I wish now Ihad thought it through a little better. I may still replace the long servo leads with shorter ones so I can connect them outside the fuselage. I'll install the long ones on the receiver and just join them at the cabanes. I think that will work better. Any thoughts or better ideas?

RJ

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79066.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	1899297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77660.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1899298  
Old 07-12-2013, 11:49 PM
rowdyjoe

Well, it's finished except for CG balance and engine test run. I probablly won't put the wheel pants on until after the first couple of flights. Finishing it up went faster than Ithought. I cut the cowl last night and fitted and mounted it today. It looks really good. My batteries came in and they're all charged up and ready to go. Guess I'll mount the wings tomorrow and get him balanced and run the engine. The CG is very close withe wings off and I'm wondering how much difference it will make with them mounted.
I won't be able to get an accurate weight because my little digital scale only goes up to 11 lbs. I'll have to find a bigger scale.
Oh, Ihaven't mounted the pilot and canopy yet becaue if i have to add weight behind the CG, I figure that's a good place to hide it. The pilot bust is hollow and I can stuff some lead in there. I'm hoping Iwon't need it.
The weather is supposed to cool down below 100f next week and it looks like the winds will cooperate too. I hope to have a good report on the first flight sometime next week.
I'll post some pics of her assembled and ready to fly tomorrow.

RJ
Old 07-13-2013, 11:54 PM
rowdyjoe

I checked the CG this evening and it was right on the factory recommended spot. Guess Igot lucky because Ididn't have to add or move anything. I haven't weighed it yet because my small digial fish scale is too small for this plane. I'll have to find something that will handle more than 11 lbs.

After hooking up all of the servos for the first time and doing a control check, I found that Ihave one servo on the upper right aileron that is backwards. It's mounted the same as the others but, it moves opposite of the way it should. If I move the stick to the right for a right turn, the bottom aileron moves up but, the top one moves down. The left side moves like they should. I'm running the right and left pair on separate channels using a Y cable to connect bottom and top servos on each side. All four servos are HS-625MG. The odd ball servo isn't marked any different than the others so, I'm confused as to why it moves opposite the way it should. Oh well, I'll order a new one and wait for it to come in. Looks like Iwon't be flying it 'til late next week.

The engine run went fine. I had to replace the crankcase vacuum line as it was a bit too large and kept slipping off. Ireplaced it with slightly smaller tubing and now stays connected. Imanaged to get most of the four stroking tuned out and it transitions well now. I need to set the idle-up to give me a couple of hundred more rpm in flight at idle. It wants to drop too much rpm when coming back quickly from full throttle (maybe a new carb will fix the problem). I didn't get to put a tach on it this evening because it was too dark for an optical tach when I ran it. I need to get a plug in digital tach for my gassers. It would make tuning so much easier.

The pilot and canopy are installed and, aside from an aileron alignment when the new servo arrives, it will be ready for flight very soon. I'm nervous about it but, ready to see it fly.

RJ

Old 07-14-2013, 07:24 AM
2.4ghs

let us know what the weight is, mine came in at 16lbs right on the money, CG is right on also with no weight. I am running a 56cc in mine.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:49 AM
rowdyjoe

2.4ghz ...

I met a guy at our last warbirds meet who told me he had a DLE55 (5.5 hp) on his and he said it had so much power he was afraid to fly it at full throttle. He said he was afraid it would it tear it apart. Ihave read about and seen vids of Ulitmates with 50cc sized engines and they all seem to be holding together fine. So, he may have been exagerating a bit.
I'll bet your 56cc is a rocket. Which prop are you running?

RJ
Old 07-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Fl_Matt

Mine had the new DLE 55RA with a 22A vess prop (needed a 23A). I could fly it at W.O.T with no issues. The DLE 55 was not able to rip the plane apart but the OS .46AX attached to an escapade shredded it to pieces.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:01 AM
PropsnWings

I sometimes wonder if a 35RA would be sufficient? Or maybe a 40cc

I have a DA 50 for my still in box Ultimate, but since I don't hardcore 3D am wondering if this is overkill? 
Old 07-14-2013, 10:02 AM
2.4ghs

well I am at 5800 ft here in NM and i am running a 23 x 8, there are guys here running the 50cc and one guy with a 60cc and they are doing some wild stuff with them, I did beef up the motor box a little more that was the only thing i did on mine.

no problems at all, I am just wondering if anyone out there that has one has checked there incidence ?
Old 07-14-2013, 10:04 AM
2.4ghs

I flew mine first with a 2500 super tiger and it flew fine, it did not have any vertical but it flew it fine for just rolls and loops but you had to dive for loops.
a DLE 30 would fly it fine.

ORIGINAL: PropsnWings

I sometimes wonder if a 35RA would be sufficient? Or maybe a 40cc
I have a DA 50 for my still in box Ultimate, but since I don't hardcore 3D am wondering if this is overkill?
Old 07-14-2013, 10:08 AM
rowdyjoe

I watched a video on YouTube of a GP Ultimate wiht a DLE30 (3.7 hp) and it flew great. There were no details of the build so, don't know if the owner made any other "adjustments" to the plane to lighten it. Frankly, there's not much in there to remove to make it lighter so, I'm guessing it's stock.
The DLE30 looked like a great power plant for this bird.

RJ
Old 07-14-2013, 10:09 AM
2.4ghs

yep it is even at 5800 ft ASL
Old 07-14-2013, 12:58 PM
rowdyjoe

Hey, I've figured out a way around my wrong-way servo issue. Ihave the same servos mounted on the elevator so, I'll swap one out with the reversed aileron servo and reverse it with the radio (if necessary). Don't know why this didn't dawn on me earlier but, I guess the mind works slower the older you get.

RJ
Old 07-14-2013, 12:59 PM
2.4ghs

much slower, I feel your pain

ORIGINAL: rowdyjoe

Hey, I've figured out a way around my wrong-way servo issue. Ihave the same servos mounted on the elevator so, I'll swap one out with the reversed aileron servo and reverse it with the radio (if necessary). Don't know why this didn't dawn on me earlier but, I guess the mind works slower the older you get.

RJ
Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 PM
rowdyjoe

DISCONTINUED.
Iwas browsing Tower Hobbies site last night and noticed that they've discontinued this great plane. Too bad. I'm glad I got one before they did it. If you need spare parts you'd better get them now.

RJ
Old 07-14-2013, 09:39 PM
PropsnWings

Wow I was hoping I wouldnt see this for quite some time.  Too bad.. as it was one of the greatest planes they made.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.