Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying! > 3DFoamy Support
Reload this Page >

Questions on the build as I go

Community
Search
Notices
3DFoamy Support Click here to get all your 3DFoamy support questions answered.

Questions on the build as I go

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 01:23 PM
mmabc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on the build as I go

After glueing in the main fuselage spars, step six has you glueing the 2mm laminates on one side of the fuselage. Step 7 says: CA the 2 carbon spar slots over the landing gear area if you intend to mount the 3DF Carbon gear set.

What does that mean? We just covered up the spar slots in step 6. There are also two slots in the core fueselage one about 5.5" straight, the other about an 8" arc. It's right under and foward of the wing right where the landing gear would go. The manual never mentions these slots. What are they for? Are you supposed to glue in carbon spars into those slots, even though the manual never mentions it?
Old 07-21-2013, 01:40 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Questions on the build as I go

Hmm, let me check the manual and see whats going on.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2013, 01:53 PM
JohnVH

8. Repeat the process for the other side of the fuselage.

in step 6 you laminated one side, then you flip it over, and if you want to use gear you can put two carbon strips in, then in step 8 you laminate that remaining side. Does that make sense?
Old 07-21-2013, 05:07 PM
mmabc

Ok, I figured the strips were supposed to gothere, but it just wasn't clear. Thanks
Old 07-21-2013, 08:44 PM
JohnVH

no worries, one of these days when I have the time I need to redo ALL the manuals.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2013, 12:18 PM
mmabc

John,

I was thinking about this a bit more. I was thinking about getting landing gear. Do you agree that's a good idea, or do you think that's really unnecessary?
If I were to get landing gear, what size would Iget? I was thinking maybe 100mm in height. Then the plans are calling for 2" wheels.Is that correct?
For the installation, again the instructions are lacking. It looks like from the pictures that they are cutting the slot for the gear about 1/2" from the bottom of the fuselage. That's exactly where this straight CF slot is. Exactly where does the slot for the wheels go, both horizontally and vertically?

I see there are detailed plans for many of the other kits. Are there any detailed plans for this kit available?

If I don't install the landing gear, is it still necessary to install these CF strips?

Old 07-22-2013, 12:25 PM
JohnVH

you dont need the strips with no landing gear, and Im confident the plane would be fine with no strips and landing gear, its just a little something extra in there to make it strong with gear.

The slot for the gear does not go through the carbon slots, but should be near them. There is no cast in stone spot, just in the general area.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:11 PM
mmabc

For installing the main spar, the instructions say:

22. Flip the wing over so you are looking at the top of the wing with all the lightning holes exposed. Bend the main wing spar to the shape of the spar slot. Test fit it in place. Remove the spar and then permanently glue it in place.

Glue it with CA?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:50 PM
JohnVH

the way I do it, is join the wing, laminate the bottom flip it over and put the spars in, laminate the top, that's how I do all my planes.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:25 AM
mmabc

My question was should I use CA glue? 
Old 07-23-2013, 06:36 AM
JohnVH

sure, you can use CA.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:23 AM
mmabc

Just a couple of comments:

The stabilizer has a 1/8" slot on the TE for a plywood hinge. The skin layers had the slot cut in the wrong place that didn't align with the core layer (like an 1/8" off). I had to cut out new pieces from the included spare pieces to correct that.

There's a slot in the ailerons for a control horn. There's no mention of it's purpose in the lamination step. I had to read ahead to the elevators or rudder to learn its purpose. I assume it's critical in the lamination step to align this narrow slot in all three layers. That should be emphasized in the instructions.

Itried the 3m77 glue. It worked ok on the fuse and its side pieces, but I'm not a fan. The 3M glue was incredibly expensive. It's messy, covering everything in a large area on the work bench, and it sticks to everything. I gave up on it after the first few pieces. I didn't see any way to use that on these flimsy wing pieces and having any hope of getting them perfectly aligned in one-time-only hit or miss proposition.I'm sticking with a 50/50 mix of water and white glue.