Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Electrostik by Electrifly - any good?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Electrostik by Electrifly - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Wayne Miller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrostik by Electrifly - any good?

Hi,

I just got the new Tower Hobbies flyer and they show a 52.5 wingspan Electrostik. It looks big enough and may be a good backup plane for my "glow" stiks. It can be purchased complete with motor as an option.

Has anyone tried it yet? does anyone know if it would have enough power to do loops etc.?

Thanks for your help.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Old 06-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Gary L.

Default RE: Electrostik by Electrifly - any good?

I saw that to, don't know anything about it though..
Old 06-21-2008, 10:10 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tower has none it is listed as early July. So i would have to say not yet.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:18 PM
djcmeeks
My Feedback: (11)

The ARF is supposed to be available the end of this month on Tower's site. I am planning on holding out til mid-july for the RXR version which comes with a Rimfire Motor, Silver Series ESC, and servos installed. I imagine the 42-40-1000 motor should have plenty of power for basic acrobatics. The ESC will take a 4S lipo. Typically I would just get the ARF and install my own electronics, but for the money ($239.99 on tower) the RXR will give me another fun sport plane to put in the air quickly while I spend my time building other projects.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:48 PM
djcmeeks

I received my Electrostik this past week. Everything looks good. Nice covering job. I'm waiting on a set of replacement wings becuase one of them were damaged in shipping. I will hopefully maiden this weekend.

I am doing a couple of modifications. I am doing away with the single servo for the ailerons and installing independent servos on each side of the wing for faster response speed and larger throws. This is an installation option listed in the manual. Servo mounts are already located under the monokote on each side. Piece of cake to install.

The only other change I am making is the tail wheel assembly. There is a small guide wire that clips to the under side of the rudder to help control tail wheel steering but I find it barely enough to have much authority. Given the fact that I will be taking off from grass I am going to upgrade the tail wheel assembly and install a seperate servo to help control ground steering.

Should be fun to fly. Can't wait.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:46 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I got mine a couple of weeks ago. When It arrived, I was pleased with the quality. I found the whisker for the rudder steering a bit of a problem, but I drilled the nylon bearing in the horizontal stab and it seems to work better. When I got it I tried a variety of motors I had on hand with "X" mounts and they wouldn't fit. They included AXI 2826, and Eflite Power 46. I decided to get the recommended Rimfire so as not to destroy the firewall. Make no mistake, this is a .40 sized plane. The Rimfire finally arrived and now I have to install connectors on my Phoenix 60 ESC. I use Sermos or Powerpoles. I'll also be using a Castle BEC as the battery will be a 4-cell A123. One more thing, I will probably relieve the center hole in the firewall where the back of the motor goes. It's a little tight. I'm using HS-81MG servos and replaced the wheels with Dubro super light 2 3/4 inchers. I fly off grass.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:53 AM
sevans16

what aileron servo is provided? I would like to go with a second aileron servo myself!!
Old 08-14-2008, 01:55 PM
djcmeeks

sevans16,

It comes with a single Electrifly brand ES80 Micro Servo. See link for servo stats http://www.electrifly.com/miscproducts/gpmm1210.html

I ended up cutting out a servo opening in the bottom of the tail of the fuselage and used it as a tail wheel steering servo. It works great.

I used two JR 331 micro servos for the ailerons.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49281.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1011483  
Old 08-14-2008, 02:30 PM
sevans16

Thanks! I found them(GP/Electrifly) on tower for 10.99 each. I will just order one and skip the tail steering.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:38 PM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

to any1 who has flown this plane,

any chance of posting a video of it flying ? the video at tower shows it ok but its hard to tell how it flies.

also as listed on tower, it show this motor using 11.1 to 14.5 volt packs has anyone tried the higher volt packs (4S ) to see how it performs ? ive been looking at this plane since they announced it as a good knock around plane for some fun flying.

bassman
Old 08-14-2008, 08:04 PM
djcmeeks

I'll try to get some video. I think it is a good "knock-around" plane. Compared to my others this thing is light as a feather yet pretty responsive for basic aerobatics. I have not flown yet with a 4s pack. I am actually running two 3s 2200mah packs in parrallel to get super long flight times. I am looking forward to trying the 4s soon once I can buy another pack. I am sure th vertical will be much better.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:55 AM
sniclefritz

Did anyone have to add wieght. Mine seems to be nose heavy. I have the RxR one.

Mark
Old 08-28-2008, 03:16 PM
lewkor

I am just thinking of getting into RC flying? I have had some actual flying lessons in a Cessna 152 and I actually soloed before I found it too costly to continue; so I know the theory of flight. It'll also be a hassle for me if I have to get someone to train me and I will probably not learn to fly if I have to arrange for someone else to go with me for the first little while.

What I need is a plane that I can learn to fly by myself. I have looked at some 3 channel aircraft and I just have the feeling that if I get a 3 channel aircraft I will get bored with it as soon as I can takeoff, land and do some aerobatics. I really want something with ailerons.. Am I biting off more than I can chew? Should I just buy a cheap 3 channel plane like the Flyzone/Skyfly2 and just consider that plane disposable? Is the ElectroStik too much aircraft for an absolute beginner?
Old 09-03-2008, 05:35 PM
skypup50

djcmeeks

Can you tell me if this plane has enought room to run (2) 3s1p 2100 batteries to make a 4200 battery? I already use the 2100's in my heklis. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: lewkor

I am just thinking of getting into RC flying? I have had some actual flying lessons in a Cessna 152 and I actually soloed before I found it too costly to continue; so I know the theory of flight. It'll also be a hassle for me if I have to get someone to train me and I will probably not learn to fly if I have to arrange for someone else to go with me for the first little while.

What I need is a plane that I can learn to fly by myself. I have looked at some 3 channel aircraft and I just have the feeling that if I get a 3 channel aircraft I will get bored with it as soon as I can takeoff, land and do some aerobatics. I really want something with ailerons.. Am I biting off more than I can chew? Should I just buy a cheap 3 channel plane like the Flyzone/Skyfly2 and just consider that plane disposable? Is the ElectroStik too much aircraft for an absolute beginner?
This looks to be a good performer. I wouldn't try flying it without someone to help you even if you have some full scale time. You need to get used to the controls getting reversed when it is flying towards you. Some sim time would be more help than time in a 150. BTW I have a license, but gave up flying due to the expense about 8 years ago.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:32 PM
MrMulligan

There is plenty of room in the battery compartment. I have a 4cell A123 there now and there is still a lot of room. This is a large aircraft, really a .40 size. I'm having some issues with getting the motor running. I think I have a bad connection from the motor to the ESC.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:53 PM
skypup50

Thanks MrMulligan. Is it possible that you don't have your atv's set high enough? I had an esc in a heli that wouldn't work until I set the atv for throttle from 100 to 125 %. Just a thought. Did you get the rx ready version? Thanks.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Ed Couch

Plug and play variation took only 45 minutes to assemble and install radio. Flown following morning with no problems noted. Everything worked as advertised. Using a 4S3850 Common Sense or 4S3700 Rhino battery package. Radio is Spektrum DX6i. Very nice aircraft if brother would just lift his nose a little bit before landing. He has been out of the loop for 27 years and still needs a few more flights to get back in the groove. Had to glue landing gear block back in twice but is no fault of air vehicle. ed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25065.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	1025728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95252.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1025729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18175.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1025730  
Old 09-03-2008, 10:57 PM
MrMulligan

I tried that. I didn't have the throttle trim all the way down, and when I did it tried to start. It rotates a little and then just growls. There's an issue between the motor, a 42-40-1000KV Rimfire and the Phoenix 60 with a separate Castle BEC. I use Sermos connectors and occasionally one doesn't seat well in the plastic housing. I have to take off the motor and check all connections. I think the more expensive one with the servos, motor and ESC is a tremendous bargain.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:17 AM
skypup50

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a bargain to me too. Do you think it will fly ok on 3s?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:25 PM
MrMulligan

A 3s pack is recommended, I think about 3200. I have a couple of 3700's and a 4400 in case my A123 setup doesn't perform as I hope. I use these now in an Ultra Stik 25E, another great flyer.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:28 PM
skypup50

I have the mini ultrastik........ditto there too.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:56 AM
djcmeeks

skypup50

Yes. There is plenty of room in the battery compartment. I actually have been running two Thunder Power 2200mah packs together. I just made a parallel connector with deans wire and connectors. I was in the same boat as you. I had many 2100 and 2200 packs for my T-Rex450 Heli and didn't want to have to buy a larger capicty 3s pack. The plane flys great and I get incredibly long run times. I have run for almost 15 minutes and still had 20-30% left in my packs.

I have several planes but this one is just a fun all-around-fly that I can take anywhere. The other day there was a moderate crosswind at our airfield. I pointed her into the wind and cut the power completely off and she just hung in the air like a kite.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:50 PM
MrMulligan

That's the way a really good Stik flies. I've had a few over the years in different sizes. All have been reliable and a great deal of fun. I haven't flown my Electrostik yet as the Rimfire motor was defective. All it did was growl and turn once. I sent it to Hobby Servces after calling them and just got an email that they received it. I had plugged an AXI into the system to check it and the A123's make it sing. With this great weather, I can't wait to get the motor back. As to why I didn't replace the Rimfire with another motor, none of my other motors will fit the mount pattern and I didn't want to butcher the firewall.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:33 PM
ZRAT

Anyone have problem's with Electrifly/Greatplanes warranty coverage? I just bought an Electrostik RXR for Hobbytown USA, ailerons were so poorly installed they wouldn't work. Monocote was bubbled and peeling from wing surfaces. I took it back and Hobbytown checked the two ARF versions in stock and they have the same or worse issues with the wing build. Other than the wing the plane appears well built and may actually be a 1Hr build as advertized. Replacement is due in within the week, thusfar I have received no response to an email to [email protected]. I'm leaning toward a refund then picking up an Eflight Ultra stick 25E or Minipulse XT. If GP has reasonable customer service I'd like to stay with the Electrostik, bench racing and looks vs. US25E and size vs MPXT. I'm new to the forum thing, comments welcome. [:@]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.