Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Battery questions from a noobie... thanks for the help!!

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Battery questions from a noobie... thanks for the help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Shapechanger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery questions from a noobie... thanks for the help!!

Hey folks, thanks ahead of time for any advice, it's very much appreciated!

I'm looking to build a serial battery pack out of LiPo RC batteries. There are a lot on hobbyking to choose from, but I don't know exactly which to choose. I am thinking I should use LiPO because this will be used in a canoe and my understanding is these, should something bad occur, will ultimately be safer in the environment. Powered by a 12v Minn Kota trolling motor (Endura C2 30 12v). Eventually I will get 2 of these motors and have them operate together by remote; but one thing at a time as Id have to learn how to set up a controller, etc. So, battery first and that will probably be fine for season 1! Then later 2 motors for security, etc.

Im disabled and can't paddle well (I can operate like a normal healthy person if needed in case of emergency but muscle exertion causes damage so I have to have next to no muscle activity wherever possible), and with 2 kids in the canoe, I want to be sure I have plenty of battery power - but I also need to be able to carry the battery (plus motor and gear) from the house down to the water, and even if I wheel it down I have to lift it into the canoe, and the exertion here concerns me. This is why I am trying to find a solution around the traditional marine batteries which are too heavy for me. Even 2 batteries that can be swapped would work.

For instance, this battery at 185grams would give me roughly 2.5 batteries per pound (http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Lipo_Pack.html), so assuming 2 batteries per pound, 40 of them would weight 20 lbs plus whatever watertight container I make, so 25lbs for 88000 mAh. This is just based on the upper weight I need the battery to be.

I dont know how to convert mAh to show how long this will last against the draw of the motor. Not likely to be use much as we just like to explore along the rivers, but would be nice to know.

Can anyone point me in the right direction and explain how much battery I need, or point me to a place where I can learn how to stripe them? Im assuming to just get some decent wire and solder the lines from the batteries together into a line, unless there is a more efficient safer way that treats the batteries better.

Anyways, this is not my area of expertise but Im certainly willing to learn. I REALLY want to be able to get my children outside in a way that I can physically manage, as this is not their fault, so we can learn and have fun outside together and do a few of the things that would be fun, like fishing or exploring eddys and inlets. So if you could explain what to do here I'd be very grateful indeed. Thank you much!
Old 06-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Goldenduff

Default RE: Battery questions from a noobie... thanks for the help!!

Wow, what a project. The advantage of lipos is they are light and energy dense (and can release energy rapidly). 

Before you get going even a 2000mah 3cell can be very dangerous if not charged or stored correctly- let alone 88000mah, that's a lot of energy! You will also need a decent a charger otherwise a weekly boat trip could be difficult!

Read hangtime hobbies info on lipos.

As for working out your runtime:

Divide the capacity (mah) of your batteries (series adds voltage, capacity is no accumulative) by 1000 to get amp hours. Take 30% off because you must NEVER fully deplete a lipo. Simply divide this number by how many amps your set up draws and the number will be in fractions of an hour so .33 would be 20mins. 

Whilst I remember best not to mix battery mah, voltage or age.

All the best!
Old 06-23-2013, 02:35 PM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

40 packs is a lot to take care of, and maybe the wrong type of battery to have around in such a small place.
If something bad happens it goes up in angry flames.
I think the best solution is somehow keep the standard battery in the canoe, and use a charger and a some LiFe batteries to power the charger, so that the standard canoe battery can be charged. That way it will weigh maybe less than 5lb and you will have far less ammount of batteries to take care of.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:24 PM
mehrshad

RC packs are not a good choise for your application.
you need something like this:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/lifep...753660024.html

About the runtime:
its an almost 1000wh pack.(12*80=960) and 200watt average is a good assumption.(average power of a 70kg young healthy person http://www.bodytransform.co.nz/Blog/...+exercise.html)
So you can get around 5 hour or so. But you can get 1 hour for sure!
hope this helps.