Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Charged battery acting dead

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 05:32 AM
_r_b_h_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charged battery acting dead

Hey guys,

I have a Slash 5803, with the following components:

- XL-5 ESC

- Titan T12 550

- Traxxas PowerCell 8.4V 5000mah

- HiTec X1 Plus charger

My Slash has been running well, had it for a year - not very much wear and tear. A few months ago the 3000mah battery that came with my Slash leaked, and I had to buy a new one. I bought the 5000mah version, new, from my LHS. I also bought, at the same time, the HiTec X1 charger.

I hooked up the battery to the HiTec using the banana plug to TRX adaptor (purchased separately), and began the charging process. After 4 minutes, the battery was done...

I thought that was strange since i didn’t think the batteries were sent from the manufacturer with a full charge. Anyways, i disconnected the battery, and then hooked it up to my truck. The ESC lights up, as does the receiver box, but the truck barely moves - its acting like the battery is nearly dead. So i then grabbed my voltmeter, and the battery was indeed showing 8.3 volts.

So, my question is, can a battery that has a full charge, act as if it is completely dead? or am i looking at an ESC problem?

I’m fairly new to RC, so hopefully someone can give me some insight.

I don’t have any spare parts for testing, so i want to have some idea of what the issue could be before going back to the shop.

thanks.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:57 AM
Goldenduff

Default RE: Charged battery acting dead

It may be that the peak sensitivity of the charger is detecting a full charge when it is not. The first forming charge should be done by a dumb charger.

Basically divide the capacity, 5000mah, by the charge rate, say 250mah. That gives 10hours. Charge the battery for 13hrs, in this example, to account for inefficiencies.

If you do not have a dumb charger try decreasing the peak sensitivity, mV, of the hitec charger. Say from 5mV to 10mV.

That would be my guess.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:17 AM
_r_b_h_

Thanks for the suggestion. But wouldn't the fact that the voltmeter is reading the voltage as 8.4volts, mean that the battery is indeed completety charged?
If all 7 of the 1.2 volt cells were not completely charged, the voltmeter would't report that high.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Goldenduff

1.2v is nominal voltage. Charged is higher. Look up charged voltage per cell of whatever chemistry you're using......
Old 07-08-2013, 08:24 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a charged nimh is 1.5 V +/- .1
the 7 cell charged should read 10.5V ish.