Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Blue Arrow 25A Brushed ESC

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:38 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blue Arrow 25A Brushed ESC

Running this ESC in my GWS slow stick with a 1000mAh 10C 11.1V lipo. he motor is the stock 400 D geared motor and also running 2 HS 55's. All of this programmed on a DX6 with AR6000 RX.
What happens is I get about 3 to 4 minutes of stick banging, then the ESC cuts out. At first I thought it was a low battery so installed a fresh 1250 mAh 8C 11.1V lipo but still the ESC was cutting off. Not a RX lockout as the servos still work regardless of the motor running or not. I droopped my throttle EPA's down to where I am no linger *****g out the ESC at 3/4 stick. The ESC is designed for 2-3S lipos per thier manual for the PP-25C brushed ESC. Nothing programmable about these that I can figure out. So my question is what can I do to figure out if its a heat buildup issue (the ESC is sitting on a stick in the prop wash) do I have a faulty ESC?
A link to thier generic ESC chart/manual : http://www.ltair.com/en/download.php I can't post it on here as its a PDF file. Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:13 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Default RE: Blue Arrow 25A Brushed ESC

Took the SS out again yesterday after posting this and ran into the same issue. Funny thing is........ I could continue using the ESc as long as i didn't use full throttle. I flew for at least 10 minutes before I had the first cutout. Just to check my theory I ran it to the end of the battery never using full throttle. I guess i need to see how many Amps I am drawing at full throttle as the ESC never got even close to warm. Fairly cold out yesterday (probably only 40 to 45F) so I am convinced it isn't a heat issue but a overamp issue.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely reaching a low voltage threshold in the esc. Could be due to high amp draw or batteries that can't deliver without a big enough voltage drop to cause the esc to cut. You need to lower the amp draw at full power, put in a bigger or higher C rating battery or adjust the esc to a less sensitive voltage setting. Most do not have that ability. I know the Castle esc's do and I was told by Castle that if it hits the cutoff for even a fraction of a second, it will cut out unless you can adjust it to insensitive. Then it needs an extended period at low voltage before it will cut out.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:56 AM
ArrowNaughtic

thanks ual767,
I was having a hard time figuring out why it was cutting off but was able to restart just by lowering the throttle. by your explanation, I actually don't have a 25A ESC but more like a 12 A ESC. Even so, according to the motor chart for the EPS400C power system with D gearbox and using a 10 x 6 prop, the maximum amps i see it can pull is only 10.4A

Of course that chart is only showing NiMh batterys and the max voltage is only 10.8V. So even with an 11.1V lipo 10c 1000mAh I should never even be reaching a low voltage cutoff . Nor should I be over Amping a 25A ESC which by thier chart shows that the ESC I am using is made for 3 cell lipos. I can't remember what I paid for it but I think I possibly just got what I paid for.

What am I missing here? I had this setup in a GWS Estarter too and blamed it on the RX. Here is the link to the ESC I purchased: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...6&pid=NBA06105

Heres the link to the Power System I am using : http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produc...em/eps400c.htm

And have a Esky 11.1V 1000mAh 10c lipo installed or a CSRC 11.1V 1250mAh 8C battery installed. I forget the formula for calculating max continuous amp draw and burst amps, but am I using to small of batterys?

Old 02-05-2008, 12:00 PM
ArrowNaughtic

I just reread your post ual767......... you actually just answered the questions I was posing in my previous post. bigger battery............more power! I will give that a try and reset my thottle EPA's and really give it a good stick thrashing.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:14 PM
DCT129

Well one thing it could be??? Is that brushed motor. I hate brushed motors.....And don't forget to check the bearing in your gear box.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:13 PM
KidEpoxy

Even so, according to the motor chart for the EPS400C power system with D gearbox and using a 10 x 6 prop, the maximum amps i see it can pull is only 10.4A
<..>
And have a Esky 11.1V 1000mAh 10c lipo installed or a CSRC 11.1V 1250mAh 8C battery installed.
The motor wants to draw More Than the chart 10.4a if you are using 11.1v lipos
Both of your batts nominal C ratings are 10a. 10c x1.000 = 10a, and 8c x 1.250 = 10a
Add a servo or three to that & the voltage drops, due to the over C rating load on a batt thats been run down a few minutes.

-------

On a side note, does the documentation for the BlueArrow 25A ESC say what the max input is without BEC?
I'm looking to get one for a project that would run up at 14.8 ~ 18.5v, and dont see that info online