Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

YS61RE Classic

Just wanted to thank Richard Verano and William Bartlett for bring this motor to reality. Removed my AR and installed the motor this past weekend - what a monster. Fired right up and idled beautifully. I cut the head pipe to 4" and used the standard Hatori short stroke pipe. When I tell you this motor has power, power is what it has. I didn't have a tach but flying pattern for the last 30 years and YS motors only, I trust my ear. If I had to guess, after 4 tanks of fuel and settings between a good 4cycle and just to peak, 14500 - 147500 would be a safe estimate. Can't imagine what this motor will unload in the existing a split-S. Actually, it was a little scrary herring the motor scream. YS has definitely nailed this one
    Will fly this weekend

Thanks again Richard and Will for all your efforts and dedication to this hobby.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: YS61RE Classic

Awesome!!

Back to back comparison of new YS -vs- YS AR on the same airframe...That's excellent:

"What a monster" compared to the AR...Now that's impressive!!!

What airframe is this in??

Thanks...

Chuck

The less I fly....The less I crash...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Auggie,

What prop did you have on the engine and nitro content?

Wayne

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Auggie, what prop were you using? I'm guessing by the rpm you might be using a 11x8 or 11x9? Would you have a chance to test it with an APC 11x7?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Where's Kevin?

As the West Coast rep, he might also have some numbers and impressions by now.

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The prop used was APC 11x 8, nitro content 20/20, McCoy #9 plug. Essentially, I took exactly what I had in the flight box, what I've been using in the past. The airframe is my trustworthy Summit III. This weekend, I'm really going old school - DW 10 1/2 x 7 3/4 balance prop + engine tach.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Auggie I'm sure your Summit is grinning from cowl cheek to cowl cheek.

Can you get tach numbers for the APC 11x8 before you take it off? If you can get numbers for an APC 11x7, that would be perfect!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MY second run this weekend will be with 10%. Running YS60RE short stroke back in the day, I used 5 - 10% nitro. I didn't start using 20/20 until the AR's came out which are long stroke. I think 20/20 would be to much for this motor on a initial run. The pipe/header length are at their max base on last weekends run. I'll play it safe and keep it there. The neat thing about this new motor, the word "Classic" on the head. BTW, the 4" header length I spoke about, came from Richard's trail testing. Richard indicated he was getting 14100-14200 on his runs. My runs seemed only what my ear was telling me and I could be off somewhat. To really get an accurate reading, I'll use a tachometer this weekend. One thing for sure, this motor is every bit of the old school performance and then some. I've also got a Classic in an Aurora - that's next after the Summit