RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Does throttle control speed or altitude on planes? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/1570071-does-throttle-control-speed-altitude-planes.html)

jettstarblue 02-27-2004 09:55 AM

Does throttle control speed or altitude on planes?

O.K. several times a year it comes to my attention that people are confused about the controls on a plane. Some believe that the throttle controls speed (like a car) while others believe that throttle controls altitude.
Please post your opinion, then explain why.
I am posting this poll (I hope) to clarify for others.........and because this is a can of worms that needs to be opened on occasion.

Jetts

jettstarblue 02-27-2004 10:02 AM

RE: Does throttle control speed or altitude on planes?

A glider will descend without thermal/slope/highstart intervention. All else being the same with two planes, the one with power will ascend, the one with the engine off will descend.
Pull back some elevator with the power on, you'll get a loop, or a temporary climb. Do the same with the engine off, you will climb, then stall, and crash.........
Just curious as to some of your thoughts, and theories.

Jetts

Matt Kirsch 02-27-2004 10:19 AM

I think you messed up. The common misconception is that elevator controls altitude.

Throttle controls power.

Elevator controls attitude.

A combination of power and attitude controls altitude and speed.

scottrc 02-27-2004 10:23 AM

Yup!

iflynething 02-27-2004 10:30 AM

OK......here's a thought.....only if you are talking about powered planes, then I think that it controls altitude....Because if you don't have power (throttle) then you can't keep going up.....eventually you WILL come down, but you can keep pulling up and up and up on the elevator and eventually stall and potentially crash like you said.....

Well, it is a different, a very different story for gliders, or unpowered aircraft. These things are so light, either that or they have a large w/s and also they are light, but you could technically fly all day if you had enough thermals and/or wind.......

This is just another thread that I will have to keep up on because it will be very interesting....

jettstarblue 02-27-2004 10:49 AM

Matt, You are correct! I'm trying to dis-spell the misconception that elevator alone doesn't make you go up....without an engine, you will not fly long. Keep pulling back elevator on full scale (for the most part) you will end up severely dead.
Jetts

jettstarblue 02-27-2004 10:50 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: jettstarblue

A glider will descend without thermal/slope/highstart intervention. All else being the same with two planes, the one with power will ascend, the one with the engine off will descend.
Pull back some elevator with the power on, you'll get a loop, or a temporary climb. Do the same with the engine off, you will climb, then stall, and crash.........
Just curious as to some of your thoughts, and theories.

Jetts

FLYBOY 02-27-2004 10:59 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

Throttle controls power.

Well said! That gets hashed out in the full scale class rooms many times and it is amazing how many people just don't get it. You change one, you change both to keep things constant. Otherwise your speed or alt will change.

jettstarblue 02-27-2004 11:27 AM

Roger that! Maybe I'll pull this, I was trying to get at the fact that elevator alone (ie gliders) won't make you climb. And that throttle alone is not a "speed control".

Jetts

daven 02-27-2004 11:32 AM

Both.

Throttle controls both speed and altitude.

jettstarblue 02-27-2004 11:40 AM

O.K. O.K., sorry I brought it up, both, neither, some of each.... time to pull this thread, it's going nowhere....

Jetts

Jimmbbo 02-27-2004 12:19 PM

jettstarblue -

Here, let me give you a can opener for the next can of worms you want to open! ;)

Give you mega credit for living on the edge - Wanna discuss Ford vs Chevy, Republicans and Democrats, a woman's right to choose and gay marriage while we're at it.?? :D

In over 20 years and 2500 hours of providing FS flight instruction, the best answer is what Matt said -

"Throttle controls power.
A combination of power and attitude controls altitude and speed."

To make it easier to learn, I teach new students that increasing power makes the airplane go faster (positive transfer from the student's driving experience), and that the elevator changes the airplane's attitude, and that changing either one will affect the other. Must be something to it - haven't lost a student yet... ;)

Cheers!

Jim

pettit 02-27-2004 12:24 PM

An old flight instructor story:

The grizzled old instructor tried to pound it into the heads of every student pilot he taught, that throttle controlled altitude and elevator controlled airspeed.

One day, completely frazzled by the instructors constant bantering about this, the student stopped at the end of the runway, firmly set the brakes and began pushing and pulling on the control yoke, with the elevators appropriately moving rapidly up and down.

The instructor asked "What in the world are you doin', kid?"

The student replied "Getting up my airspeed!".

Charlie P. 02-27-2004 12:53 PM

If you're trimmed so that you use the throttle to perform a loop you will have a sore left thumb by the time you land. :)

When I was gaining flight time for my 'real' pilot's license ('till the $ ran out) it was the throttle that held altitude and controlled ascent/descent. But it would be a real snoozer to fly R/C in multi-hour long straight lines. And how about R/C gliders?

And If I'm flying inverted and start approaching the ground, do I increase or decrease throttle to gain altitude?

For aerobatics with fully symmetrical wings, it's all elevator; with some throttle control for smoothness and consistant air speed.

jester125 02-27-2004 01:01 PM

What is attitude? I keep seeing this and I keep thinking its a typo.(please dont say its a state of mind or a feeling)

thanks chris

jettstarblue 02-27-2004 01:27 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimmbbo

jettstarblue -

Here, let me give you a can opener for the next can of worms you want to open! ;)

Give you mega credit for living on the edge - Wanna discuss Ford vs Chevy, Republicans and Democrats, a woman's right to choose and gay marriage while we're at it.?? :D

In over 20 years and 2500 hours of providing FS flight instruction, the best answer is what Matt said -

"Throttle controls power.
A combination of power and attitude controls altitude and speed."

To make it easier to learn, I teach new students that increasing power makes the airplane go faster (positive transfer from the student's driving experience), and that the elevator changes the airplane's attitude, and that changing either one will affect the other. Must be something to it - haven't lost a student yet... ;)

Cheers!

Jim
Jimmbbo- thanks, I'll discuss anything with anybody....but I'll pass on the opener.- Seems I got a good working one here!

Jetts

jettstarblue 02-27-2004 01:30 PM

Jester,
Attitude: pointy up- go slower, pointy down, go faster, fast.

Jetts

2 Piece 02-27-2004 01:51 PM

Quote:

I think you messed up. The common misconception is that elevator controls altitude.

Throttle controls power.

Right on Matt, but I think you left out what power controls. I would state it like this:

Throttle controls power.
Power controls altitude.

2 Piece

goliath-RCU 02-27-2004 02:47 PM

Depends on the plane. an aerobatic plane with a symmetrical wing, zero down thrust, and zero wing incidence, the throttle should not effect the attitude or altitude. a trainer with 4 deg of down thrust and 2 deg of positive wing incidence will change attitude and gain altitude as a function of speed. I.E. the faster you go the more altitude you gain.

Jim Schwagle 02-27-2004 03:44 PM

As I was told when learning to fly (Full Scale)...

To go up, pull back, to go down, pull further back.

Warren 02-27-2004 03:50 PM

Throttle is merely potential for either speed, altitude, or a combiniation of both dependant upon the attitude of the aircraft...

jettstarblue 02-27-2004 03:55 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: 2 Piece

Quote:

Throttle controls power.

Right on Matt, but I think you left out what power controls. I would state it like this:

Throttle controls power.
Power controls altitude.

2 Piece
Roger that, that's what I was tryin' to say....

Jetts

FLYBOY 02-27-2004 03:57 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: jester125

What is attitude? I keep seeing this and I keep thinking its a typo.(please dont say its a state of mind or a feeling)

thanks chris

Attitude is what people throw at you if they don't agree with your post.

In an ref to an airplane, it is the aircrafts pitch, bank and yaw as compared to the horizon. Nose up attitude for instance.