Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

OS .10 Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 05:17 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: OS .10 Trainer

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

Yes, I am in the same boat too with several RC planes in near finished configuration. Think you'll try a .60 RC sized CL plane plane later on say, 70 feet lines?

I certainly want to build a big one, say 55" span with at least a .40 in it.
Ha-ha that is funny George
80, 90 foot maybe.
Or a much bigger slower flying plane.
I still have the engine and pipe. Bent the crank when I crashed that plane. But I think I now know how to straighten a moderately bent crank.

Now dog gone it George you got me dreaming about it again.

But with my new handle it is doable.
Oh here is the rest of that plane

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54084.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1898444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31598.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	1898445  
Old 07-07-2013, 05:28 PM
flyingagin

I built a bunch of .35 powered planes as a teen. I used Enyas back then. plain bushing baffle piston engines.
This is the only pic I have from then (Pic 1)

Speaking of .40 powered I built this one before "Just Bananas" another Magician From the same set of plans as the crashed in pic 1

Ken

Name:	Nk28029.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	1898447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31440.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1898448  
Old 07-07-2013, 06:13 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice photos (except the crash one, ouch! [:@]). I think the .35 sized planes like the Ringmaster, Magician, Clown, etc. are a good compromise between wind penetration and reasonable but not excessive pull on the lines. Perhaps even a slight move up to a .45 sized one. Plus the .35 ones are reasonably quick to build. Inasmuch as it would be fun, I don't think I'm going to move up to pulse jet.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:24 PM
flyingagin

Darn
It would be a real hoot to watch.
I had no clue thst line tension could be adjusted when I built Just Bananas. and 70 foot lines were the longest that could be bought.

My next cl will be a ST .51 powered bird.

Ken
Old 07-09-2013, 03:59 AM
GallopingGhostler

There are some YouTube videos on pulse jets. I think they are flown on 80' lines doing around 100 mph. One was stunting it as though it were a stunter. Thing weighed 6 lbs. I can't find that video, but here is one doing 211 mph.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2DZtFvd6Ho[/youtube]

That .51 powered one should be a really nice one.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:48 PM
flyingagin

Some time I saw a video of a pulse jet being stunted. Now I cant find it either. Looked really cool, But still a work out. I have also seen one fellow stuning a Super Tiger 3000 powered plane. A 2 fister and a heck of a work out.

I have aSuper Tiger 3000 and just can't emagine hanging on to a set of lines with it on the other end.

Ken
Old 07-17-2013, 04:29 PM
flyingagin

I did not accomplish any work what so ever this past week end. I spent every minute I could in my Lazy Boy nursing my back. It is already pretty bad and work Friday really tore it up. I have another appointment with the pain management Dr. in a little more than a week. Even if he just gives me more bad news I still can’t wait. The nerve, back and neck pain just stop me from doing anything much of the time,
But enough of that.
Today I took the day off for a different Dr. appointment and some lab work, so I got a little don on the plane.
I think I worked in about 10 or 15 minute stretches the back to the Lazy Boy to rest the back and let the pain levels settle. There were a good number of short sessions today. So all in all I accomplished most of what I wanted.
The radio box has been rebuilt a bit, longer and deeper. Now things fit nicely. I even added a Futaba type switch with a JST connector between the battery and the UBEC inside of the radio box. I ran a piece of real small piano wire to the switch and outside the box with a loop on the end to actuate the switch.
The UBEC is mounted on the opposite side of the radio box (in board and opposite of exhaust) with double sided foam tape and a zip tie.
The hatch for the radio box did not quite clear the servo and power connectors at the radio. And I also wanted a clear window of that part of the Rx so I could see the bind LED.
I explained that I was thinking plastic little parts plaster pack might work real good to my wife. She told me to bring her bead box to her. She rummaged around in it for a bit and pulls out a blister pack of little bitty beads. Asked if I thought it might work. Looked about right to me. So the beads went into a little plastic bag. The blister pack got cut to the right size and glued to the hatch. I am thinking I will keep her (wife that is). So the last thing to do to the plane is to iron some cote onto the radio box.
I am really, really happy I made some progress today.

One more thing. I bought some 20# braided spectra fishing line. Now to learn to tie some knots. ADOUBLE UNI-KNOT is supposed to be as strong as the line itself. most knots are substantialy weaker than the line. http://seaguar.com/seaguar-community...e-uni-knot.htm
Ken

Name:	Rp42696.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1901643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18064.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1901644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98819.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1901645   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10430.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1901646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37594.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1901647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12576.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1901648  
Old 07-20-2013, 07:20 AM
flyingagin

Ok I now consider the plane done. Maiden is the last thing required for the plane. I still have 3 holes to drill in the handle and build the line plate back stops. Then make up a line.
The radio box had to be covered. I had some more of the red Hobby Shack coat left. I just would not stick no matter what I tried. So heck with it I did the smart thing and gave up. I had some white Monocote and that worked like a charm. SO I have a white radio box. I don’t care I am done. I don’t expect the Hobby shack film to stick to the rest of the plane very long any way.
So now to finish the handle. And then some flying.

I will try to get some in flight pictures and some video.
Ken

Name:	Vt56132.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1902337  
Old 07-20-2013, 10:56 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to it Ken!
Old 07-22-2013, 02:02 AM
GallopingGhostler

Looks like it is coming right along, Ken, look with anticipation toward a first flight report!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:09 PM
flyingagin

I was a set to test fly this morning. I had added tip wight, engine offset. I had made up a set of lines with spectra multi strand 30# test. Technically I made one line (about 90') since it loops through the line plate effectively giving me a set of 45" lines.
Learning to tie the 5 turn uni knot was frustrating. I got a nice loop in one line (much desired) and the other knot cinched all the way down. I think I need a form (dowel) to get it to make a nice loop (to facilitate removing and adding line clips).

The only thing that I need to do is neutralize the lines. Can't do that in the apartment. That only involves loosening the clamping bolt (nylon 1/4 20 RC wing bolt) pulling the lines till the elevator and handle are level and then tighten the bolt.

My wife is scare to hold planes with the motor running, so I need a stooge. I made one up that uses a piece of small diameter rope (maybe 1/8") with two loops. One loop is permanently fastened to the stooge and the other is retained by a sliding rod (ny rod yellow inner).

I wanted to make sure the release loop did not get hung up on the plane. So I did not tie a knot in it. I formed a loop and then secured the loop by wrapping some Kevlar thread (1/2A fling line) around the end. I then put some heat shrink over the end. Makes for a nice smooth loop end with nothing to catch and hang upon the plane.

Well I awoke to the sound of thunder this morning so I just rolled over. A little later it was pouring down, about the time I had planned to be at the site I was going to fly at. I had been scouting out possible flying sites for awhile now and found a dirt parking lot in an industrial area about 8 miles down the road I live on. It is rarely used during work days and then only as a staging area, and never ever on weekends. It is not fenced or posted or marked in any way. Noise will not be a problem.

Here are some pictures of my stooge. It is just some Ny Rod blue outer and yellow inner with a 2/56 rod in one bent into a loop for the pull string. The base is a piece of 1/8" ply door skin that I fasten to my starter box with a spring clamp. Not very heavy duty but should hand up to maybe a .25 or .35 powered plane. I can beef it up by adding a peice of music wire inside the yellow inner and fiber glassing over the blue outer.

So I hope to test fly next Saturday.

Ken

Name:	IMG_2534.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	1906749   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2535.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	1906750   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2536.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	1906751  
Old 08-12-2013, 07:58 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ken I like your simple stooge looks like it will work well with your airplane

John
Old 08-17-2013, 05:04 AM
flyingagin

Thanks John
I can also pull the release when at reduced throttle, that will also help.
This is the 3rd stooge I have built. We simply will not talk about the first (I was in mid teens), the plane ended up a total loss.
The second was similar to this one, except that I had a hold cable and loop permanently attached to the back of the fuse. Held a piped .60 at full song easily.

Well no rain this morning, but scattered lightning so again no flying, and as much back pain as I was in last night I simply ain't interested in any place than my lazy boy.

Had a lower EMG Thursday. End of this month I get a couple of spinal injections.

I am going to go out no matter what and get some supplies for my next CL plane I am planning. A sheet wing bi-plane. .ST .34 power.

I am intending to make a pair of composite sheet wings. 2 layers of $ tree foam laminated together to foam the core. Carbon spars, and Kevlar drag lines in a x pattern, plus carbon caps on either side of the spars. and then sheet both sides with 1/16" sheet balsa. Inter-plane ca-bane (spelling????) struts to tie both wings together, plus functional flying wires from 1/2A Kevlar flying lines. I also have plans to cut the radio weight by almost half.

Ken
Old 08-17-2013, 09:17 AM
flyingagin

Never got the thunder storms. The weather was gorgeous. S about 9 am I said to the wife lets try this. So we went out to the site I had found. Did all the set ups, and adjusted the line centering.

But I could not get even a pop from the engine. It was not getting a drop of fuel. Found the feed line had a cut at the tank, so I replaced and still would not feed. I finally had to give up when my back stated screaming louder than I could stand. I will solve this here at at home.

I am going to have to make something to put the airplanes at a comfortable height when setting up and starting. I think maybe a old second hand TV tray might be a good starting point. I had my back brace on and with my gut: bending means no breathing. I really do like breathing, a lot. Plus bending hurts like bloody h____!

Also using my starter box to hold the stooge was not a good ideal. That puts the starter cord in a really bad place. So next time I will use a pair of real large nails into the ground to hold it.

So some problems to resolve with my fuel system. I will work on those and do some short engine test on the apartment patio. The kids around here make more noise, and I don't mind that; so I will make a little noise just to sort out my running problems. And doing it here means I can elevate things to a comfortable height.

The control handle removable line plate was a great ideal.I can unroll and re roll easily. I can also leave the plate at the circle center, while having the TX beside the plane when starting, and the once it is stated re-attach quickly at the circle center.

I will shoot for next Saturday again.

Ken

Last edited by flyingagin; 08-17-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:01 PM
flyingagin

I sorted out my fuel system. I rebuilt the tank. The two brass tubes now make 90 degree bends immediately out of the tank, so the lines clear the engine, no rubbing.

I started the engine on the patio and adjust the hs needle. The idle air bleed screw needs to back out a bit. And the plug is no good. Will only run with the igniter attached. This engine last ran in the nose of a power glider back around 95.

I hope to try to fly again next Saturday.

Ken
Old 08-21-2013, 02:53 AM
GallopingGhostler

I see you're getting closer to a flight report, Ken. I had the same thing happen with an old Swanson Fireball Hot glow plug. It had lost it's catalytic action. A new one solved the problem. Yet I have an old Enya #30 glow plug from the 1960's. It fired right up.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:46 AM
flyingagin

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
I see you're getting closer to a flight report, Ken. I had the same thing happen with an old Swanson Fireball Hot glow plug. It had lost it's catalytic action. A new one solved the problem. Yet I have an old Enya #30 glow plug from the 1960's. It fired right up.
I put a new plug in it and fired right and stayed lit with out the igniter. So this morning went out to a local park where CL flyers have permission to fly. No Flyers there. Could it be because it was to windy this morning?

So another week yet to wait. Oh well. I forgot to bring the camera any way.

About to start my next CL project. I am waiting on my order from Brodak to arrive. 2 sets of Ringmaster Jr. wing ribs. It is going to be a Ringmaster variant. A bi-plane, built up fuse. The wings extended to be 36"s. About 470 square inches total. Power to be a ST .34.

Ken
Old 08-27-2013, 09:43 AM
adanjo

I cannot find a tip weight in the pictures of your model. Have you attached it?
Aki
Old 08-27-2013, 01:59 PM
flyingagin

Originally Posted by adanjo
I cannot find a tip weight in the pictures of your model. Have you attached it?
Aki
Here you go Aki

It is attached. Just a small nut, but it was just laying there in front of me, and seemed to be about the correct weight.

Ken

Name:	IMG_2542.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	1913922  
Old 08-27-2013, 10:31 PM
adanjo

Good. 10FSR is a wild beast, so I hope you will enjoy the taming by throttle control.
Aki
Old 08-29-2013, 02:33 PM
flyingagin

If the weather holds and nothing else gets in the way, I will find out this Saturday morning.

Ken
Old 08-29-2013, 03:04 PM
JohnBuckner

Got my fingers crossed for you Ken.

John
Old 08-29-2013, 04:30 PM
flyingagin

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
Got my fingers crossed for you Ken.

John
Thanks John. I really appreciate that.

I had a procedure done on my back today (numbed the nerves on the left side) and already the pain levels are down, so I am more confident as a result that I can stay on my feet long enough.

I went over to a fellow member of The Brotherhood of the Ring today that lives about 3 miles from me. First time to meet in person. Real nice guy. We are going to meet this Saturday morning at a county park that grants permission to fly CL at. The park maybe about 6 miles away.

I am really looking forward to it.

Ken
Old 09-02-2013, 08:53 AM
flyingagin

Smile On the ground; When does the Barfing start, but Maiden successful

On the ground; When does the Barfing start, but Maiden successful.

Got the test flight in today. I was out by myself, flying buddy did not show. So it was a good chance to test the stooge. Worked like a champ. Perfect releases. The restraining line slipped off smooth as silk.

Had some problems with throttle rod not being adjusted properly. I was able to adjust that with the few tools I had with me, i.e. needle nose pliers. My 20 + year old igniter (nicad) died, but I used my panel supply by the 12v starter battery to light the plug.

I failed to hydrate properly before leaving the house, just coffee, had not drank a drop of water. I was sweating like a pig and dripping by the time I got my lines out and set up. heart rate and respiration up to much. To stubborn to slow down and rest awhile.

First 2 or three attempts to take off ended up not enough concrete runway area and ran into the grass at the end and just sat there. So I kept changing my angles in relation to the available concrete till I had enough run room. I was trying to stand in such a position that I would not wit the Light pole that was there when I came around. Also I had to avoid the concrete parking blocks. With out a helper it was just trial and error. And the most important thing I did not want to hit was my own car!!!!!!

Own the the 3rd or 4rth try I got airborne. Was almost surprised, but I quickly back peddled to insure enough room before coming around.

Now the actual flight report.

#2 The airplane yawed outwards like crazy on take off rolls, increasing the take off roll.
After the first lap I noticed I had significant line tension, much more than I expected for such a small plane. It was yawed out more than needed in level flight. Remedy reduce the engine offset and the move lead out guide forward.

#3 At full throttle the airplane was hunting up and down, maybe 5' up and down excursions. Manageable, but uncomfortable. At around half throttle the hunting almost completely stopped. So that is were I spent most of my flight time.

#4 I counted my lap times with the one thousand and one, one thousand and two method, and at 1/2 throttle I was getting 8 second laps. At full song I was counting about 6 second laps.

#5 At full song and a maybe 3 or 4 minutes into the flight I explored the control response with some full up elevator. Slow and no were near enough elevator. I will move the elevator ball link in all the way.

#6 When I could tell the that I was just about out of fuel. I went to full throttle and waited. cut out about two laps later. Ran out of up elevator on the glide down so landing was a bit nose down. No damage.

now #1 I was not properly prepared for physically for this little adventure. insufficient hydration, over heated before I even got the engine started. Wearing my back brace helped with my back but also was even hotter.
I started to get dizzy pretty quick, but stuck it out. As soon as the plane was on the ground so was I. Went to my knees, and then onto my back. The world was spinning, I was real nauseous and just hoping I could manage roll to my side if I started barfing. I was actually a little scared at that point that I would throw up and be unable to clear my breathing. My wife has informed me I will never be out like that by myself again. She will go next time, incase a flying buddy does not show She can at least call 911.

Biggest mistake was trying this with no else there.

But you know what It was fun. I will try again. This was my first CL flight in about 20 years.

Ken
Old 09-02-2013, 11:32 AM
JohnBuckner

Outstanding and congratulations Ken And yes please have someone there. Most folks at first just go round and round so the dizzys come pretty fast but when you can do loops then horizontal eights Perhaps with a more airobatic airplane then its very easy to take breaks from the spinning and avoiding the dizzys.

Also happy your throttle worked well and this is a big help for you and would recommend you not push the flight time but keeping early flight to just perhaps one minute or so.

If your flying site has concrete or asphalt where the pilot stands then with your particular medical problem I highly recommend using an old wheelchair. Yes of course it sounds counter intuitive however its anything but. Learning to use a wheelchair in controlline can and will open up a whole new world for many and not just the fellows who are confined to the chair but many like you who I know using the chair will help trememdously while flying.

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.