Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Super Chipmunk EP arf

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Great Planes Super Chipmunk EP arf

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:41 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Super Chipmunk EP arf

4 flights today, I can comfirm that my Chippy is not pulling hard to the left no more than the normal, did some touch and gos, TO were made at 1/4 throttle also flew with flaperons without any need for elevator adjusment, The guys at the field get a kick when they see both of my Chipmunks side to side
Old 03-15-2013, 08:33 AM
IronButterfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried Lomcevak? I haven't been able to get the good rotation about the CG like the full-size one. Mine just corkscrews end over end as it falls. Haven't mastered the technique I guess.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:46 AM
los36
My Feedback: (1)

CARS II,
I just picked up one of these little Chipmunks and have not purchase a motor for it yet. I'm thinking about going with an OS .05 motor. I may have to move the firewall back as you did because it is 46mm from mounting plate to prop drive (16mm longer than Rimfire). How much of that length can be made by mounting cowl further forward?
The one thing that may be a show stopper is the diameter of the motor. It's a 37mm can vs the 28mm Rimfire. Is there room under the cowl for that? Also, the mounting plate is a 4-point, so I figure that I can mount it using 3 points and grind off the fourth. Is this just a terrible idea?
It may be a bad idea overall, but I'm tempted to just try it out. The OS sizing scheme seems to be quite different than the Rimfire. Electrifly's site says the 400 is rated for 220 burst watts (propeller unknown). The manual for the OS .05 says that with an APC 11x4.7SF, it's capable of 600 max watts! I estimate I would be using a 9x7E for about 450 max watts. That's twice the Rimfire 400 and still more than the Rimfire .10.
Anyway, I probably don't have the flying chops for something this fast, but that's what the throttle is for, right?
Thanks for the input!
Old 04-21-2013, 05:20 PM
IronButterfly

My 2 sense.  I am pretty sure the OS will fit on the firewall and in the cowl.  I have the Rimfire .10 in my Mini-Contender.  This plane is heavier than the Chipmunk but is much hotter.  A Chipmunk with the .10 should really scream.  I strongly suggest reinforcing the motor box with epoxy.  The CA they use won't take the vibration very long.

My Chipmunk with Rimfire 400 pulls 150 watts while my Mini-Contender with Rimfire .10 pulls 300 watts, measured on power meter, both with recommended prop.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:56 PM
Julio48

GuysI just crashed my Chipmunk and the firewall is destroyed. Seems is very weak or cheap wood. Anyway looking for the plans to rebuild the firewall. Any ideas where to get it from?Julio
Old 05-31-2013, 05:05 PM
Julio48

GuysNeed some help. I just crash my Chipmunk ARF and the firewall is destroyed. Anybody has the specs from the plans or suggestions on how to make one? The only thing that broke was the firewall, crappy wood.Julio48
Old 05-31-2013, 05:32 PM
OntAeronut

well, only two things I can suggest is to have someone trace the firewall for you or to contact Great Planes and see if you can buy a firewall or at least a drawing of the firewall.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:13 PM
IronButterfly

Crashed mine too, and hard nose in.  But firewall OK.  Broke fuselage clean off just behind thewing.  These things are built necessarily light andtherefore quite fragile.  I re-enforced my motorbox with epoxy in weak spots, maybe that’s what saved mine.  CA they use up front just won’t hold.<o></o>

Old 06-02-2013, 10:04 AM
CARS II

Los36

Like IB mention, the OS motor should fit just fine inside the cowl, I will suggest to keep it as a 4 mounting plate, since the holes will not be spread out evenly once it is cut.

The cowl can be moved forward but to a point I think that building a new fire wall is the best choice here.

I'm sorry I can't comment on the motors rating and watts as I'm not that savvy on the electrical side of it by it looks like IB can help on the part,

I hope this doesn't get to you to late, if you need more info on the fire wall build let me know please.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:16 AM
CARS II

Report on my EP Chipmunk.

So far it has been very windy around here, one day it went up to 40 mph+, not even the commuter turboprops were allow to fly into SFO because of the nasty winds. This is normal for this time of the year here in the SF bay area ( not the high winds [:@] ) you could say it is slope soaring season

At the moment the Chippy is in the storage awaiting more calm days and they are around the corner [&:]

On the other hand yesterday Sat. I put six flights on my 60 size one ( awesome flyer!! )

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50521.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1887934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52798.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1887935  
Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 AM
CARS II

Julio

Sorry to hear that happened to your Chippy.

My only suggestion and I would do it this way is to glue the box parts together with CA then you can use them as pattern to cut a new engine box from light ply.

When you work with wood anything is possible [&:]

Let us know what you decide to do and how it came out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83980.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1887950  
Old 06-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Julio48

I will order the aluminum motor holder from Great planes to replace the wood box. Im sure will add some weight to the nose but will give it a shot. Let you guys know how went.Thanks
Old 07-15-2013, 10:03 AM
los36

I just maidened mine this morning. There might have been a 1mph breeze. The plane flies like its on rails in the calm air. How does it fly in the wind?
At first, I flew the elevator and ailerons on low rates (25% expo on all surfaces). Pretty soon, I felt comfortable enough to use the recommended high rates on the ailerons. Fun!
I do have a couple of questions. The CG was spot-on but it took a ton of down-elevator trim to keep it from climbing at any throttle setting. The amount of trim is most easily described as the balance tabs of the elevator are sitting about 1/8" above the horizontal stab at their most forward point. It glides fine on approach and handled easily. No signs of being tail-heavy once trimmed. Should I try to move weight forward anyway?
When I went to high rates on the elevator things were OK due to the expo, but when I would get aggressive with it, the plane would snap roll. I think I'm going to reduce the throw and test just so I don't get myself into trouble one day when I jerk the gimble trying to get myself out of trouble.
I did end up passing on the OS motor and just ran with a Turnigy SK3 2830 1020kV motor w/ an APC 9x6SF prop. It cruises at half throttle and at full throttle can pull the plane vertical long enough for 3 rolls before falling over. Good enough for me.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:08 AM
IronButterfly

Landing in wind is a challenge, need to use a little power. Wheelpants became unrepairable after many hard landings on asphalt so I removed them.  I have to bend landing gear back forward quite often and finally broke one at the bend at wing after so many hard landings.  I have to use a good bit of down trim also.  Maybe I affected stabilizer incidence when I trimmed slot to make it level with wing.

Mine has funny response to full up elevator, sometimes wants to snap roll as you said.  Full up with power also causes it to do a tight loop but with an odd hesitation in the middle of the loop like the elevator momentarily returning to neutral.  It's like it just quits flying for a second. Could be pushrod flexing or servo can't hold full up.  Probably too much throw to begin with.  I am using stock equipment. 

Slow flying and shooting landings in no wind is loads of fun especially with flaperons.  I can get 12/13 minute flights if I really conserve power. Anyway still fun but I think the kit is overpriced and Tower Hobbies cost of replacement parts parts like cowl is outrageous.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:11 AM
OntAeronut

Been flying mine all winter on the iceroad, and now into summer off our grass runway. it doesn't like too tall of grass, but it's doable with a bit more throtle. I have flown mine in about 10 mph winds, it's not too bad, granted its a small light plane it's going to be effected more then a bigger plane.

As for these nasty snap rolls your getting on full elevator, mine has never done that and I can sit then and do tight loops till the cows come home and no snap rolls. Heck , I have even had a buddy of mine wring this baby out in some serious aerobatics and not a bad habit at all.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:39 AM
ChinoDiablo

Hey guys,
I'm new to this thread but have been flying the Super Chipmunk for about 6 months.
I'm actually on my second Chipper as the first one was blown to bits on a full speed inverted dive into the ground.
I thought I would chime in with my thoughts about this plane:
    [*]400 sized motor is under-spec'd. Kinda dull flying with barely enough grunt to do a full wide loop and virually no vertical performance. Once the original firewall was too dinged to repair, I removed it and cut the ply back to the covered fuselage and mounted a salvaged motor mount from a SkyArtec Cessna 182. I then mounted a G-Force 480 1100kv. A near perfect fit with about 25% more power. Vertical performance was greatly improved as were just about all of the basic aerobatic maneuvers.[*]It's not a 3D plane. it's a scale-sport flyer. [*]needs throttle coming on landing. you can't just glide her in. As such, you shouldn't dead-stick or you'll most assuredly incure some damage.[*]the landing gear is a pain and constantly needs re-bending. only on the most perfect landings does the LG stay taught.[*]the wheel pants dont stay in place. mine have been taped on since the third landing.[*]ground handling is great. [*]the cowling is a fragile POS. white and red electrical tapes will be your friend.[*]IronButterfly is right about Tower pricing on parts. but under the right circumstances, you can get a Chipper NIB for about $100, shipped.[*]The Super Chipmunk EP was my first balsa/ply plane. i have over a dozen foamies. getting used to the flying characteristics of a balsa plane took a little doing but more than anything, it's taught me how to be more deliberate about my landings. In the air, she flies crisply and predictably. She does get kicked around a bit on windy days so she tends to stay grounded more than my other planes.[*]However.... for the money and the flying experience, my E-Flite Mini Ultra Stick is a far superior flyer than the Chipmunk with better low speed handling (due to lower wing loading), tighter rolls and overall fun. It's even great on a windy day. Having said all that, it's the Super Chipmunk's great looks that keep me interested in her.[/list]
Old 07-17-2013, 07:46 AM
OntAeronut

Wow... I have logged probally 60+ flights on mine, and not once have I bent the landing gear, had my wheel pants come loose or any problems with the landing gear. I flew her off a iceroad with an inch + of fresh snow, grass runways, shot and a bit long that would cause her to nose over on take offs.

Also, the only time I have had to have power on when landing was in strong winds. Normally I come around for final and chop the throtle and bring her in for a nice slow gentle landing...

Old 09-25-2013, 11:31 AM
los36

I snapped my firewall a couple of months back. I rebuilt it 6mm back to fit in a Turnigy SK3 2836 1500kv motor (50A ESC also). I put a GPS in the plane and it reported 82mph straight and level, triple digits in a shallow dive and a nice, easy 35mph cruise. I didn't think about all the battery I'd need to support that motor. I'm shoehorning in a 3s 2200 for 6 minutes of mixed throttle flying. On the positive side, even with all of that battery it is a very nimble plane and landings continue to be low-stress. Vertical rolls go on forever. I'm still working on tumbling. Perhaps more elevator and rudder throw are in order ... along with a dose of expo?
42 amps
340 watts
APC-E 8x6
Old 11-07-2013, 09:17 PM
CARS II

I finally had a chance to fly my Chippy the right way, I moved back to my previous town SAC, here is the right place for this electric, the winds are non-existent some days at the moment and it is nice and warm much more than the SF bay area.

I'm back at my old club where I usually have the field to myself on Fridays after 12:00 pm, last Friday I put 4 good flights on the little devil ( I also flew the big brother ) even my friend had a chance to give it a flight, we were surprise of the performance and agility of the Chippy, loops, rolls, snaps, slow flight, dives, unlimited verticals, stall turns and much more, I will try to give it some more controlled flights tomorrow to check motor thrust angle to make sure it doesn't climb during high speed passes also I will try a smaller prop on it, what a blast, we were changing batteries on the runway to keep flying.

Last edited by CARS II; 11-12-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:21 PM
CARS II

Looks like the thrust angle on the engine is right on the money, it doesn't climb or descend when gunned from half throttle to full.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:13 PM
rossmgolf

I got one at Christmas, flew very well, fun to fly. Last week I was flying, 3 others in the air, and I had a mid-air, ripping one wing off and crashing my plane - BAD! I'm looking to get another airframe soon. I would recommend this plane. It is sturdy, landing gear very tight and strong.
A couple times I landed into the grass and the back of the wheel pants penetrated the wing without breaking out the LG. Yeah, it's a good one for the price.