PM shipped

Jim
Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 AM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: GAS/GLOW HOW TO....

Hello All,

I was wanting to see what oil's you are using in your GAS/GLOW mix.

Last night I did some testing with Echo synthetic and Sthil universal oil. Nether oils mixed with methanol.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

If you read the instructions on the first page, it says that you add no oil at all to the Gas/Glow mixture. All the oil the engine needs is supplied by the glow fuel you mix with the gasoline. The oil mix, using the standard Gas/Glow formula/mixture, ends up being approximately 32:1. If you add oil, you will have a too rich oil mixture.

One part 10% oil, 10% nitro glow fuel to Two parts premium gasoline. If you are trying to make up your own mix using methanol instead of glow fuel, sometimes a bit of Acetone in the mix can help things mix and stay mixed. And in that case, just research an oil that is recommended for use with methanol. The nitro percentage in the standard Gas/Glow mix is pretty low, but it does help.....

AV8TOR
Old 04-15-2013, 11:54 AM
computermonkey

Correct I'm mixing my own fuel. Just wondering what oil others are using besides Amsoil.

Thanks
ComputerMonkey
Old 04-15-2013, 11:58 AM
av8tor1977

I haven't mixed my own fuel other than using the Glow fuel. I am not sure what all oils will mix ok with methanol, but there are several. I don't want to get into another oil discussion, but I have just heard and seen too many problems with Amsoil to recommend it. Try Klotz, I am sure they have an oil that mixes with methanol.

AV8TOR
Old 04-16-2013, 03:20 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I received my Glow Adapter from fujiman today and it's beautiful, the machining quality is very very good, in fact I was surprised to see just how good it is,

no worries if you want to buy one, it's quality is much better than some of the stuff I have bought in the past for the RC flying hobby

Jim
Old 04-16-2013, 03:40 PM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANKS a million Jim for the rave review!!!!! It's things like this that motivate me to continue with my efforts in aiding guys who want to use this great gas/glow tech. I pretty much break even doing these, so it's not the money that keeps me going. I'm retired, so it just keeps busy and active. SO keep the requests coming guys!!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:41 PM
the Wasp

thumbs up

Jim
Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 PM
the Wasp

has anyone tried the G/G Mix in a 4st Glow Engine ??

I was thinking, because the needles on my son's Magnum 180 (30cc) wobble like a cat's tail, I thought I could very simply mount a Walbro on it, then I thought I could use the G/G Mix and add extra oil,, and for that matter> to keep the RPMs up I could use 30% in the Mix

comments please

Jim
Old 04-18-2013, 04:30 AM
Flight Risk

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sure we discussed using G/G earlier in this thread with 4 strokes. Things to be aware of would be keeping the glow plug lit and the right amount of oil.

RS
Old 04-18-2013, 04:33 PM
the Wasp

I believe the K&B 4st Plug is hotter than the OS F4
Old 04-19-2013, 06:06 AM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: the Wasp

I believe the K&B 4st Plug is hotter than the OS F4
How does the Fox Hose Nose plug compare to either of these?

Has anyone tried the Fox plug for gas/glow?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 09:00 AM
av8tor1977

Yes, I tried it. The OS four stroke plug works better, at least for Gas/Glow.

AV8TOR
Old 04-19-2013, 09:49 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: computermonkey

Correct I'm mixing my own fuel. Just wondering what oil others are using besides Amsoil.

Thanks
ComputerMonkey
Klotz KL 100 will mix with anything.
BCCHI
Old 04-20-2013, 04:53 AM
computermonkey

Thank you bcchi. I ended up buying some Morgans Omega oil.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 PM
beck529

I am working on a big (140 cc) gas-glow motor for non airplane use. Fujiman set me up with a beautiful adapter. I couldn't find the 10% oil glow fuel locally. I purchased some 18% and did the dilution to cut it to 10% with straight methanol. All of our local gas stations gas has ethanol in it at or above 10%. I live in the corn belt. I wanted to stay away from that. The only fuel I could purchase locally without ethanol was 100 octane low lead aviation gas. I picked up a couple of gallons. I just mixed the first small test batch of fuel. It separated. I have acetone on hand so I gave it a dash, and shook it. The separation level changed so I gave it another dash and shook again. No more separation. I mixed another small batch using 100 ml of glow fuel, 190 ml of avgas, and 10 ml of acetone. After shaking there was no separation. I dumped the 2 small batches together and put them on the bench to check out tomorrow. Is this amount of acetone acceptable in the fuel? Will it harm the engine or performance?Thanks for all your help on this thread.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:14 AM
computermonkey

I had the same problem with the oil separation. I bought a case of Cool Power oil from Morgans fuels. Mixes with gas and methanol without any problems of separation. Cool Power is full synthetic oil. The Omega will also mix with gas but it is 70% synthetic and 30% castor.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:10 AM
av8tor1977

The acetone shouldn't hurt a thing. Actually raises the octane a bit and helps keep the engine clean.

AV8TOR
Old 06-21-2013, 11:01 AM
beck529

Thanks for the help guys!
Hoping to fire the motor this weekend.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

I haven't mixed my own fuel other than using the Glow fuel. I am not sure what all oils will mix ok with methanol, but there are several. I don't want to get into another oil discussion, but I have just heard and seen too many problems with Amsoil to recommend it. Try Klotz, I am sure they have an oil that mixes with methanol.

AV8TOR
Yes Klotz KL 100 will mix with any combo of meth and gas.Used it for years on Glo engine converted to Ign.Now use Stihl Ultra.
BCCI
Old 06-22-2013, 08:11 PM
beck529

I have Klotz TechniPlate on hand but didn't use it for my mix because I wanted some nitro in the end mix. I don't know where to purchase nitro locally. Because of that I purchased a qt of 15% nitro 18% oil glow fuel. I measured the actual amount in the quart bottle. It was exactly the right amount. 1 QT = 946.353 ml. Then I added 757 ml of methanol. That brought me to 10% oil and 8.33% nitro. After mixing with the gas and the acetone I posted about before. I have the 3.33% oil and 2.78% niitro finished fuel. I doubt if the motor will know that little bit of nitro is in the fuel. I am wishing I would have bought the high nitro glow fuel to start with now.
I still have concerns about the 3.33% acetone that I have in my mix. There is as much acetone as there is oil.
It doesn't look like my motor will start this weekend. I didn't get the fuel tank worked out as I had hoped today. It is going to take a custom made one. Since it is non airplane it won't need a clunk. It will have to have a large diamater supply tube. I plan to solder one up like the U-control guys did back in the day.
What kind of fuel tubing is everyone using? My father (88 yr young) just purchased his first model airplane gasser. He tired using the glow silicone tubing for his test run. I told him it wouldn't work... In the first run session the tubing failed. With 1/3 glow mix will the yellow Tygon type line hold up? I'm sure the silicone won't survive. What type of rebuild diaphrams are you buying for the carbs?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:25 PM
no_spamola

Old 07-08-2013, 10:14 PM
av8tor1977

Tygon seems to work fine. Viton is better but very expensive. Even that little bit of nitro should help with throttle transition and in keeping the glow plug lit. Probably a touch of power added as well.

There are three different fuel pump diaphragms available, and either the brown one or the blue acetate ones work fine; avoid the black one. As for the regulator diaphragm, as far as I know the only one available is the black one. I remove the fuel, fuel up with a mixture of Coleman fuel and 20:1 oil, and run the engine briefly before storing the plane. (Leave that mixture in the tank.) When you go to fly again, remove the "storage fuel", fuel up with the Gas/Glow mix, and you're good to go.

AV8TOR
Old 07-09-2013, 07:33 PM
beck529

I attempted to get my motor up and running. It didn't go so well.Durring starting the motor was not happy .The motor would idle but roughly. As soon as throttle was applied it would quit.I'm using an automotive starter adapted to a 3/8 bolt in the crank to start the engine. The bolt kept backing out when the motor would try to start. The same thing happened when I would let off the starter. The overriding clutch has been disabled in the starter since I had to modify it to spin the other direction. After repeted attempts to start the 3/8 grade 8 bolt broke in the crank. Durring the starting attempts and rough idlingI destroyed the clutch (rember this is a not aircraft usage). That spun the crankshaft. I had removed material from the top of the jug and the head durring the build. Thinking I have to much compression now, I installed a stock head. I thought I should check the glow plug while I had it out, I found an interesting problem. I had the plug mounted in the head. I have wiring running to the glow plug for a remote glow driver. I pressed the head to the jug and applied power to the glow plug. It just dimly lit. I switched to a new battery with the same results. I put a glow driver directly on the plug and it lit brightly. I finally figured out the problem. The block and head don't pass electricity well. I have now put a ground on the plug adapter instead of the motor case. I have not had a chance to try starting again. The clutch is back at the mfg. They think I'm messing with them. They say it is impossible to break the hub in the clutch. I don't know how but it did. I will have to have another crankshaft modified for a clutch. I am going to try to start the motor without the clutch before removing the crank when time permits. Currently I'm swamped at work and home.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: bcchi

ORIGINAL: computermonkey

Thanks
ComputerMonkey
Klotz KL 100 will mix with anything.
BCCHI
That is what I use(KL100) in my Gas/glow fuel...works good! Capt,n

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.