Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Reaction 54 Jet Kit >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 07:15 PM
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

ORIGINAL: tschuy

A couple of cool ones will be in the cooler waiting for ya...

Cheers,

:-))

Dave
Old 04-29-2005, 04:25 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No snow out here Dave, but I did run the Wren 54 Mk3 today.
I took my R54 to my local field and went through a few startups and did some of sort of high speed taxi tests.

The field had been invaded by the local cows so it was a bit of a minefield.

The Wren ran beautifully and the R54 looked great. I can't fly it yet till I arrange for the Turbine Inspector and go to a more suitable field. Todays tests have made me a lot more confident I will have success with this thing.

My friends were suitably impressed.

Regards

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41681.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	264484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28623.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	264485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81813.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	264486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18165.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	264487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi61323.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	264488  
Old 04-29-2005, 04:27 AM

Some more photos of The Gang.

Name:	Sq46803.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	264489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19485.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	264490  
Old 04-29-2005, 04:57 AM

Tommy,
Yeah! Way to go! Looks GREAT! You're gonna love it.

I gotta ask......

Did you run into any "pies" while doing the taxi tests????? :-(

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-29-2005, 06:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tommy

Model looks good and it has the right power plant! Great to see you youngsters enjoying turbines!

John
Old 04-29-2005, 06:27 AM

G'day John and Dave

No, I kept clear of the cowpats. It has become sort of a required skill at this field. Sort of an additional takeoff and landing hazard. The worst is when you get all the retract mechanism full of Cow S--t.

This hobby makes me feel young, I wish I was about 30 years younger and have no arthritis and more hair.

The large checks on the bottom are for my tired old eyes to see which side is up.

The new Wren 54 Mk3 is a really great engine. I use external starting and gas, and the thing is running in about 30 seconds from first push of the starter button.

Regards

Old 04-29-2005, 06:39 AM

ORIGINAL: TommyWatson

G'day John and Dave

No, I kept clear of the cowpats. It has become sort of a required skill at this field. Sort of an additional takeoff and landing hazard. The worst is when you get all the retract mechanism full of Cow S--t.

This hobby makes me feel young, I wish I was about 30 years younger and have no arthritis and more hair.

The large checks on the bottom are for my tired old eyes to see which side is up.

The new Wren 54 Mk3 is a really great engine. I use external starting and gas, and the thing is running in about 30 seconds from first push of the starter button.

Regards

Tommy,
You're young at heart! You'll have a blast flying the R54. Flies as good as it goes together. Don't get hurt lifting it! 22 plus pounds with a full tank takes some getting used to......

Rumor has it your BEST servo is on the steering channel?? :-))

Keep us posted!

Dave Rigotti

Old 04-29-2005, 08:38 AM

Tommy,

The ship looks great and wish you the best with your inspection and maiden flight. This bird does slice through the air pretty quick, but she's a dream to fly at the slower speeds to. Very much like the ole' time pattern fliers. Just about lands the same too....

Cheers,

Old 04-29-2005, 05:16 PM

G'Day Tim,

This is my Bridi UFO. It has a Dubb Jett .60 BSE Engine and goes like a scalded cat. Top Speed is limited a little by the wheels hanging in the breeze but i love the way it flies. I built it from plans and the surfaces are covered in silk and dope.
I hope the R54 flies half as good.

Regards

Name:	Db84380.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	264685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17132.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	264686  
Old 04-29-2005, 06:58 PM

G'Day Tim,

This is my Bridi UFO. It has a Dubb Jett .60 BSE Engine and goes like a scalded cat. Top Speed is limited a little by the wheels hanging in the breeze but i love the way it flies. I built it from plans and the surfaces are covered in silk and dope.
I hope the R54 flies half as good.

Regards
Tommy,

It flies better Just remember to strap in for a ride of your life.

Cheers,

Old 04-29-2005, 09:05 PM
My Feedback: (31)

Tim came down to fly his and i watched it. Beautiful airplane, seemed like he could NOT stall it on the high slow-flight test he was doing. Plane is a Lot bigger than you would think but it still got small quick with the FTE 500 and he was only about 1/2 throttle. I have a feeling i MAY be building one of these in the future, either this or a bommerang Arf for me. Russ
Old 05-01-2005, 02:04 AM

Tim,

I just worked out the wing loading of the R54 and compared it to my World Models Giant Extra 300. The Extra is 33 Oz/Sq Ft and the Reaction 54 is just 29 Oz/Sq Ft. It should fly better!!!.

Regards

Old 05-01-2005, 07:42 AM

But what makes it even better is that sound of thunder coming from the turbine.....

Cheers,
Old 05-01-2005, 08:52 AM

I can't wait.!!!

Old 05-09-2005, 06:14 AM

Folks,
8 more flights this weekend bringing the total to 20. Turbine run time at over 3 hours. Shot some video and will try to post a movie some time this week.

Tommy, any update on your maiden flight?

Any others getting close?

Dave Rigotti
Old 05-09-2005, 06:47 AM

I got a total of 5 in for the week. Participated in a event ( Space Day) for one of the local school districs here in KY and my R54 made into the local Newspapers. Got a picture of my R54 on the front page!!

Will post a picture of it when I get a chance to hook up my scanner.

Cheers,

Old 05-09-2005, 07:05 AM

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Well folks,
It stopped snowing! Since I could not fly and polishing the Monokote took only an hour I thought I'd install my Revolution whip antenna. Install was pretty straight forward. I located it pretty close to the RX and away from the ECU. Drilled (2) 3/16" holes in the nose wheel well floor I added. (this is not included in Bruces kit!) Trimmed the RX antenna to 4" and soldered on the connector. I mounted the antenna to the side of the fuse with wing seating tape. This stuff is great for retaining servo wires, air lines, etc. Next I connected it to the RX and taped the joint to prevent what would be a catastrophic event should it come apart! I located the exit point in the hatch and installed a 3/16 ID grommet. I cut one "flange" off of the grommet before CA'ing it in place. Makes installing the hatch before flying a bit of a pain though as I have to "find" the hole with the antenna tip to feed it thru. Overall, looks a LOT better than the RX antenna wire just taped to the fuse side. I'll range check with and without the turbine running before I fly. ALL posts on this subject suggests an increase in range!
What do you think?

BTW...Notice in the right most picture the orange surveyor tape? This is attached to the tank vent plug to HELP to keep me from losing it! Sort of a "remove before filling" reminder too! Never did find the first one I HAD!

I flew with the new Revolution whip antenna this weekend. WOW! what an increase in ground check range. I walked out 550' with the TX antenna in the case and still had solid control with and without the turbine running. Moved the TX though all sorts of orientations too. Did some high altitude range checks also. Rock solid. I highly recommend this antenna and setup. NO failsafe counts reported in the ECU.

Dave Rigotti
Old 05-09-2005, 02:56 PM

Dave,

it's good to see yours is going well. I had a flying day with the inspector arranged for saturday last but it rained for the first time in months. We needed the rain but!!!.
I hope to do it next saturday.
The delay is giving me time to really go over the R54 and make sure everything is in order. The flaps needed a little bit of adjustment which I did with the Hitec programmer.
I also have fitted a whip antenna and expect to do some more range checks tomorrow. I will do this at the field where i will do the maiden. I have fitted a really neat gas connection I got from Wren. It seals the gas line when I disconnect the gas bottle.

I see bruce has a new page on his web site just for the R54. Looks good.

Regards

Name:	Jh15063.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	269207  
Old 05-09-2005, 04:27 PM

Dave,

it's good to see yours is going well. I had a flying day with the inspector arranged for saturday last but it rained for the first time in months. We needed the rain but!!!.
I hope to do it next saturday.
The delay is giving me time to really go over the R54 and make sure everything is in order. The flaps needed a little bit of adjustment which I did with the Hitec programmer.
I also have fitted a whip antenna and expect to do some more range checks tomorrow. I will do this at the field where i will do the maiden. I have fitted a really neat gas connection I got from Wren. It seals the gas line when I disconnect the gas bottle.

I see bruce has a new page on his web site just for the R54. Looks good.

Regards
Tommy,
I'm sure the inspection will go well. I know how you feel about waiting for the first flight! She flies like a dream!

Is that a Sr. Falcon wing in the background?

Dave Rigotti
Old 05-09-2005, 05:16 PM

Hi Tommy,

I know how you feel. I had to wait for almost a month due to weather, logistics and everything else. I was really surprised that I beat Dave to the punch with getting my R54 airborne first. But all in all, when you see this thing lift itself off the ground and start to let lose, it's worth all the time you've had to wait. For those who didn't get the e-mail, Bruce has the Reaction54 page up on his site: http://www.btemodels.com/r54.html Very nice work and I like how it has a link to this forum. Lots of good information which the newer guys will certainly benefit from. I'm almost tempted to build another one and put a P70 on it...

Cheers,
Old 05-09-2005, 09:07 PM

"Huston, we have lift off" (note slight up elevator)

"Huston, we have touch down" (with bounce) Note the puff of smoke from the P60? JetCatUSA says send it back.

More to come.....

My very good friends son took these.

Dave Rigotti

Name:	Qo41458.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	269322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21966.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	269323  
Old 05-09-2005, 10:24 PM

G'Day Dave,

I was all revved up ready for saturday, but it did not happen. I really want to get this over with and then I can stop being just a jet owner and become a jet pilot as well. I have had my Wrens for nearly three years, so it is about time. I have two BVM Sabres I flew as Ducted Fans, and I have a BVM Bobcat kit that I have not started. If this thing flies as well as you all say I will probaly sell the Bobcat.

You guys have given me great confidence that the first flight will be a non event. I don't have to demonstrate any manouvers, I just need to get it back on the ground in one piece. Our inspectors are more interested in how you can handle the engine, and that you are not going to blow yourself up or set fire to anyone.

Yes that is a Senior Falcon. I got the kit from a bloke over your way called Bob Harris. I saw his name in RCU in the vintage forum. It is a great kit. The R54 has slowed down my progress on the Falcon. I will do it with silk and dope. I have a near new K&B 61 for it.

Regards

Old 05-09-2005, 10:29 PM

G'Day Tim,

Yes it is annoying, but it has given me time to make sure everything is OK. I think the whip antenna will make a big difference.
I have a BVM Bobcat kit not started. I will probably sell it. I would like to build another R54 and glass the fuse and tail. I am not happy with my monocote job on the fise. The wings are OK but the fuse looks a bit rough. I have always liked glass cloth and epoxy. If I only do the fuse, I should be ablt to keep it light.

Regards

Old 05-10-2005, 09:11 AM

ORIGINAL: tschuy

I got a total of 5 in for the week. Participated in a event ( Space Day) for one of the local school districs here in KY and my R54 made into the local Newspapers. Got a picture of my R54 on the front page!!

Will post a picture of it when I get a chance to hook up my scanner.

Cheers,

Here ya go guy's...Hey Bruce, this must make you proud....

Name:	Ay75611.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	269467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31046.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	269468  
Old 05-10-2005, 11:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh man, Front Page - that is too cool! Do you have an extra copy? (Tell the truth Tim, I'm guessing you picked up a dozen copies or more) :-)

BTW, who is this Tim Shoemaker and why is he flying your airplane? Ha! Gotta love reporters

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.