Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

Camera questions... GOPRO OR...?

Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

Camera questions... GOPRO OR...?

Old 06-07-2013, 07:38 AM
Bmx2996
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camera questions... GOPRO OR...?

I have just bought a fpv kit and it came with an adapter for a gopro.. Problem is I don't have a gopro and man. Those things are expensive! I have a sport camera that I have been using to record flights but the output is a usb type and I haven't a clue how to wrire that up. I tried but could not get a live feed. Are there other cameras that I could use? Perhaps one that has AV outputs on the camera so all I have to do is splice cables together? Maybe one that I could get from walmart... Kinda new to this hobby of fpv. Also I've seen gopro that go for around 100 bucks on amazon but they are the 'Naked' model and I would like something that has good video and not something that will set me up for a list plane bc of the picture. Appreciate the advice.
Nick
Old 06-14-2013, 01:35 PM
c130nut

Default RE: Camera questions... GOPRO OR...?

Well I am not sure if this is advice, but I have put 2 gopro cams up to 95,000 feet on our school weather balloons and they came back to earth with no problems. They are awesome little cameras for sure.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:28 PM
harralk
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Camera questions... GOPRO OR...?

I'm not an expert with FPV yet, but I have done a fair bit of research into the cameras that are available and my opinion is, if you plan to go with FPV try to get the GOPRO.  It has the best resolution and clearest image of any camera I've ever seen for this purpose.  With other cameras that I've seen through a FPV setup the image quality is so poor that it almost isn't worth the effort.  Most high resolution recording cameras with usb/streaming output will usually reduce the video quality for live streaming to the point that you can barely see anything.  The latest GOPRO models have wifi streaming, which yes is a bit more expensive to get set up, but it's able to stream a 1080P image at 60fps!!  But if you want to play around with a fairly inexpensive setup I think hobbyking.com has a few options and accessories although I haven't used any of their FPV equipment.  But image quality is most important for me, so that's my opinion. 

As for cameras that are available, I have a sport camera that also has usb streaming and I remember seeing a usb wireless transmitter somewhere, but damned if I can think of the place I saw it now.  And you can get standard video transmitters all over.

Hope I didn't just confuse you even more....