Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Rcexl Opto Gas Engine Kill Switch v1.2

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Rcexl Opto Gas Engine Kill Switch v1.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:35 PM
clivemc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rcexl Opto Gas Engine Kill Switch v1.2

the way i see ityou cant fault the RCEXL kill switch in this case. they do work really well, and if you need it to cut under failsafe your TX equipment needs to be able to set it, to do it.

May be a good reason to upgrade Txtell the wife what you have is just not safe anymore
Old 11-30-2010, 09:30 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: clivemc

the way i see it you cant fault the RCEXL kill switch in this case. they do work really well, and if you need it to cut under failsafe your TX equipment needs to be able to set it, to do it.

May be a good reason to upgrade Tx[img][/img] tell the wife what you have is just not safe anymore
Very true, but you replied to me, when it's "Rick" that has the odd setup.

My Futaba 10CAP is perfect, the Super 9C is as well.
It's those Spektrum's that'll give ya grief for F/S issues.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:41 AM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: Mluvara

Thus, without going into great detail, I stand by my statement that 2.4GHz is far superior in inherent noise rejection methodology.

Michael
Excellent analysis, and I agree on your explanation of the two.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Rick.

thanks again a1pcfixer for trying to set it straight for me! I fear that since i can't set my Rx channel5 or Aux to failsafe mode, i'll not be able to get the full safety benefits of the kill switch - like i said, ideally they should work such that a Rx signal is required just to keep the switch closed. Loss of just the throttle control is no biggie as long as the Rx is working fine, cos I'll just kill the engine with the kill switch from the Tx. The issue is if the Rx fails - not just detecting the transmitted control pulses, but i mean quits-dead! THEN, if the opto switch remains closed the engine will continue to run with no radio control of any functions........

Yes-a new Spektrum Tx would be nice but its a costly leap. I kept my Futaba 9c and 'Spektrumised' it because i like its features (mixes and timers that can be throttle stick activated - good for eleccy models).  Of course a twin Rx and secondary batt setup would be a solution, but i'm not going down that route for weight and cost reasons.

My smaller models have worked fine for years without all the safety backup stuff - but the very expensive and potentially more dangerous FG20 would be a lot of cash to see just flying serenely away over the horizon............................

I've yet to test the RCexcel opto unit with a voltmeter under simulated Rx failure mode, so maybe i'll postpone panicking until then!
Old 12-02-2010, 02:13 AM
a1pcfixer

Rick,

Your welcome!

One question though; Why did you choose a Spektrum (JR) module for your Futaba Transmitter?
I went with Futaba/Futaba.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:19 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Most people that switch from the Futaba brand do so because of the high cost of their 2.4 Ghz module/Rx units. I plan on using a FrSky 2.4 Ghz module /Rx to switch my Futaba 8UAF from 72 Mhz to 2.4. as I have heard only good things about this system, which if bought from Hobbyking can be had at a great price.

Karol
Old 12-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

The Futaba 10 C will only work if your useing a 10 or more channel receiver. When the 7 channel is used the only F/S thats available is on the throttle. I about pulled out my hair before I figure this out .
When I set up all my gas planes I use 72MHZ to make sure there is not any RF in my setups. Well Ok I was running a new plane and engine setup with my eclispe 7 and wanted to just run the engine W/O radio power, I shut off the TX and the engine died .
I called up Smart Fly and asked why the light didn't go out when power was lost from the TX, when useing 2.4 Thats when I learned it needed to be programed in from the F/S of the radio.
I sort of figured since it worked in the Hitect it would with the Futaba, but I was Wrong!!!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:24 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why is the words so small now?????? I cannot seem to make them big anymore????? HELP
Old 12-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Rick.

HOORAY - SUCCESS - RCEXCEL OPTO KILL DOES WORK PROPERLY

conducted a proper bench test with voltmeter to find out under what conditions exactly the opto kill will function as intended.

Most importantly, the engine WILL be 'killed'' if the rx simply packs up inflight, simulated by pulling its batt lead out - which means guys that all your carefully set servo failsafe positions are rendered useless!!!! the opto kill sensed the loss of rx signal and disarmed - thank goodness.

Also, tested by just pulling the opto lead to the rx out, same result - engine kill........ great!

Turning off tx - simulates going out of range OR internal tx fault (can happen!) - not so good since opto kill remained armed - BUT, thats no biggie cos under that circumstance the failsafe throttle close kicks in (which even my spektrumised Futaba 9c does do). So, shes gonna comes down, but engine WILL still be running - at idle.  I may be able to re-bind the rx with the throttle trim right back - that might just provide a throttle close failsafe that'l actually stop the engine - yet to try.

Only real caution: if aircraft rx and ign are switched on, say during set-up at the field, but the tx remains off, the opto kill will be armed (and its bright LED illuminated) - but the engine would have to be primed and flicked over to start, so again, no biggie (and of course no-one deliberately switches a plane on before the tx anyways.... do they!

In conclusion - i'm totally happy now, that in the worst case scenario of a flying plane losing on-board radio, the RCEXCEL unit WILL cut the engine.

Rick

Old 12-05-2010, 06:53 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Why is the words so small now?????? I cannot seem to make them big anymore????? HELP
Thanks too aipcfixer....I got the print big enough to read now. Thanks again....Capt,n
Old 12-08-2010, 03:44 AM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just got a couple opto kill v1.3 for my planes. ground testing in the extra It seems to work as advertised, no interferance. did have to set the fail safe on channel 5 (futaba 9c 72mhz, dual 149 rx's) light goes out with switch or turning the transmitter off.
have not flown with it yet, just fired off the engine and did a range test. So far i am very happy with it.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:02 AM
mpascual
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Rick.

HOORAY - SUCCESS - RCEXCEL OPTO KILL DOES WORK PROPERLY

conducted a proper bench test with voltmeter to find out under what conditions exactly the opto kill will function as intended.

Most importantly, the engine WILL be 'killed'' if the rx simply packs up inflight, simulated by pulling its batt lead out - which means guys that all your carefully set servo failsafe positions are rendered useless!!!! the opto kill sensed the loss of rx signal and disarmed - thank goodness.

Also, tested by just pulling the opto lead to the rx out, same result - engine kill........ great!

Turning off tx - simulates going out of range OR internal tx fault (can happen!) - not so good since opto kill remained armed - BUT, thats no biggie cos under that circumstance the failsafe throttle close kicks in (which even my spektrumised Futaba 9c does do). So, shes gonna comes down, but engine WILL still be running - at idle. I may be able to re-bind the rx with the throttle trim right back - that might just provide a throttle close failsafe that'l actually stop the engine - yet to try.

Only real caution: if aircraft rx and ign are switched on, say during set-up at the field, but the tx remains off, the opto kill will be armed (and its bright LED illuminated) - but the engine would have to be primed and flicked over to start, so again, no biggie (and of course no-one deliberately switches a plane on before the tx anyways.... do they!

In conclusion - i'm totally happy now, that in the worst case scenario of a flying plane losing on-board radio, the RCEXCEL unit WILL cut the engine.

Rick

The RCEXL engine kill-switch works as expected for me.

Futaba F10TC transmiter
Futaba R6008 receiver and new Frsky 8 channel FASST comaptible receiver.

On both cases, ignition cut the engine when TX is turned OFF, but i must set the RECEIVER FAILSAFE MODE on Frsky, and turn off failsafe on channel 5 on TX (used for the opto switch device)
Also cut the engine with the assigned switch (H in my set-up).
Cut the engine also if i remove the battery on RX .
Thats all i need to have a secure method to kill the engine on all situations for my gas airplanes.

Regards

Old 12-08-2010, 05:50 AM
gsmith6879
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We just tested the Kill switch on the Airtronics SD10G with the 8 channel receiver and the unit worked perfectly. The manual switch of course worked as it should. The assigned switch on the transmitter worked to turn the unit off and on. The unit turned off when the transmitter was switched off and then back on when the transmitter was turned back on. The unit turned off when the receiver was switched off and then back on when the receiver was turned back on.

For our set up, you have to have both the transmitter and receiver switched on, the transmitter assigned toggle switch in the correct position, and the manual switch turned on to start and run the engine. Plenty of safety features for me!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:47 PM
dukeofearl

I have just ordered a Rcexl Kill switch and I have question about battery setup. I had planed to run one battery for my ignition and another for my receiver. However after thinking about how the switch works I'm now wondering if I should just run one battery for both. Is there any advantage having separate batteries. The way I understand it is if direct power is lost to the receiver the switch kills the engine, if the direct power is lost to the engine the plane dies anyway. So if i had two separate batteries and the one dies say the receiver battery then the switch will kill the plane despite the ignition/engine battery still being ok.

The only reason I can see for two batteries would be if the engine battery dies I would still have control of my surfaces via the second receiver battery to try and bring the plane in. I can also see that having separate batteries would increase flights times between charging. However I was going to use a 2200mah Lipo through a ice BEC and bring it down to 6v to power both. A 2200mah should give me plenty of flight time powering both the receiver and the engine. Any thoughts on this or should I just stay with two separate batteries ??
Old 06-08-2011, 10:16 PM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

they do make a IBE for using one battery. the supply to the ignition is filtered so it cannot return noise to the the battery (still not sure how they can do that succsessfully for all ignition noise) The optikill is not a IBE. The reason i use a separate pack for ignition is to keep the systems as as separate as possible. a 4.8 batt is 3-4 oz. I would just run the extra batt.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:40 PM
jedijody

The Rcexl optical switch is user modifiable to be used as an IBE, works great.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:26 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: jedijody

The Rcexl optical switch is user modifiable to be used as an IBE, works great.
Interesting! The instructions to do that are included with the switch?
Old 06-09-2011, 04:51 AM
dukeofearl

The top example is the one I was thinking of . So I am assuming that the switch will isolate ignition noise from reaching the receiver from both input wires. The RCEXL to the Receiver and the BEC to the Receiver is that correct ?

Old 06-09-2011, 05:58 AM
jedijody

ORIGINAL: ahicks

ORIGINAL: jedijody

The Rcexl optical switchis user modifiable to be used as an IBE, works great.
Interesting! The instructions to do that are included with the switch?
Yes, you'll need a magnifying glass to read them though.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:59 AM
jedijody

ORIGINAL: dukeofearl

The top example is the one I was thinking of . So I am assuming that the switch will isolate ignition noise from reaching the receiver from both input wires. The RCEXL to the Receiver and the BEC to the Receiver is that correct ?
Yes, that's the whole object of the switch.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:03 AM
dukeofearl

Arrived today and I end up using two separate batteries. But the switch works like a charm... great product and well priced in the market.

Thanks for your responses...

Old 06-26-2011, 06:45 PM
musterpilot

I have installed this switch and am using a jr dsx9 2.4 radio
I use the gear switch for the kill and have had no problems
gear switch down ign off gear switch up ign on turn off rx
ign off in other words loss of signal ign is cut off
settings on gear switch are with gear switch in up position 0
gear switch in down position +40
Old 07-27-2011, 05:51 PM
dukeofearl

Unfortunately my first experience with these switches has not been very good. After fitting one up successfully to my 70" extra running a DLE30 I have suffered 3 dead sticks after flying 5 sessions,a complete unexpected loss of power without warning. I removed the switch last week and replace it with a choke servo to varify that it was in fact the switch and I haven't had a dead stick since. I'm not sure if I got a bad one or knot but after causing $80 damage through one of the dead stick landing I don't think I would like to take the risk again.  Its a shame because I bought 2 of them that are now sitting in a draw.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:47 AM
goldy48

I have a Futaba 2.4 gh radio and powering the receiver with a 4.8 battery. my opto switch is going to be powered with a 5 cell 6v battery. i also have a sonics
smoke system with its own 6v battery. Both will be running off channels in my receiver. Will it be all right to RUN TWO different voltages to my receiver?
using a DLE 30 engine and switches and chg jack combo for each power system. Need HELP...my first Gasser setup Thanks
Old 01-25-2012, 09:46 PM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Read post wrong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.