Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Magnum Xls-91 2 Stroke...need Feedback Before Spending Hard Earned Money

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum Xls-91 2 Stroke...need Feedback Before Spending Hard Earned Money

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 10:18 PM
pault
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum Xls-91 2 Stroke...need Feedback Before Spending Hard Earned Money

hello.......i am considering a magnum xls-91 2 stroke to run on my next plane.......i have been running 4 strokes for the last 4 yrs ,so i'm out of touch with the new 2 strokes....magnums have been getting alot of praise lately on this forum...thought i would try one..........i have had very good luck with the magnum 4 strokes.....i would appreciate any feedback.......thanks....pault
Old 08-27-2003, 12:22 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Default Magnum Xls-91 2 Stroke...need Feedback Before Spending Hard Earned Money

I have been flying a Magnum .91 XLS two-stroke in my Kangke CAP 232 Sport, APC 13x8 prop, 15 & 20% nitro, having a blast. Engine right now has 7 gallons through it. Give the prop three turns with carb choked @ full throttle, re-set throttle to 1/4 of full, apply the ignitor and usually starts first back flip with chicken stick. Vertical is unlimited, loves to go straight up on 20%, but I normally use 15% and still have more vertical than I need. Have been running it a few clicks rich, like to see that exhaust stream in a blue sky. Haven't touched the needle valve since it was first tuned, because I have all the power I need and no flame-outs. OS "F" plug. Actually I did have a couple flame-outs from having idle set too low, so now I keep it @ 2500. If I start with lower than 1/4 throttle, engine will start backwards with a back flip (I'm flipping too hard, I guess), but when that happens I just reduce throttle all the way down with glow igniter still hooked up and it will reverse itself and spin normally.

I run the engine dry at end of the day, then run an ounce of FAI fuel with extra castor added, just to clear all the nitro out of the crankcase. Keep flipping until engine doesn't fire anymore, then 15 drops of oil down the carb throat, turn the prop over with nose hanging down to saturate the bearings, put it away until next time.

I haven't tached the engine recently, but it peaked at 11,100 during break-in, and I have been running it a few clicks lower than that. I think my low end is still a touch rich, but I run it up briefly before every take-off and have had no stumbling when I open the throttle. I should mention I am using the Jett muffler, which may give me a few hundred rpm better than the stock muffler.

I like this engine so much I bought another one, probably put it in an Extra ARF.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:34 AM
rsieminski

Great , strong, reliable engine. You wont be sorry.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:03 AM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

As for Magnum/Global service!click here!]
Old 08-27-2003, 07:32 PM
pault
My Feedback: (34)

thanks for all the feedback.i was hoping the magnum 2 strokes were as good as the 4 strokes...i also have had only positive dealings with magnums service dept..thanks.......pault
Old 08-28-2003, 04:59 PM
homrich
My Feedback: (7)

i just put a 91 on my uproar 40 man exceleratus maximus verticus for real,good runneralthough i found that the head gasket was leaking a bit snuged up the bolts carfully while it was hot ,seems to have stopped,only other problem is if i set it to the optimum setting i lose the glow plug could be that the prop is to small but im as big as i can get on plane(ma 13/8-3 blade)i just run it rich and be happy,i love my mag 2 strokers 32-40-46-91 ,in fact i prefer them.