Debris in Fuel Jug

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Debris in Fuel Jug

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

Again, in my case, the white flakes were in a jug of Cool Power. No castor content whatsoever.
Back in the late 1970's, when I first got into RC, I had a ST .40 in a Rookie 40 trainer. I ran Cool Power, 10% nitro, at first because my instructor used it. One day the ST ran badly at the field so I took the HS needle out of the carb. There was a flake of white stuff that looked like parafin (remember that stuff?) on the end of the needle. Turned out the carb's spray bar was partly clogged with more of the white flakes. One of the old-timers told me that was a characteristic of Cool Power fuel. My local hobby shop carried only Morgan fuel so I switched to their Omega, which is a castor/synthetic blend. Never saw the white flakes again.

CR
Old 07-15-2013, 03:51 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On ya mate and since you can't chose a thumbs up here's a verbal one
Old 07-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Ernie Misner

>>> Again, in my case, the white flakes were in a jug of Cool Power. No castor content whatsoever. >>>

A couple of guys at the club swear that for a while they were getting little hairs from corn husks in their new jugs of glow fuel. What are the sources of methanol..... corn, wood, and? I realize it would have to be a bad day at the refinery for this to happen.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:24 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I've heard of little white hairs or fibers in CoolPower.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:54 PM
SrTelemaster150

Here we go bashing Cool Power.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:50 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

Here we go bashing Cool Power.
I don't see it as such. It's an imperfect world, and not everyone has had as good of results or experiences as you have. So maybe just let it go?

And for the record, I'm not bashing CP OR you.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:52 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

>>> Again, in my case, the white flakes were in a jug of Cool Power. No castor content whatsoever. >>>

A couple of guys at the club swear that for a while they were getting little hairs from corn husks in their new jugs of glow fuel. What are the sources of methanol..... corn, wood, and? I realize it would have to be a bad day at the refinery for this to happen.

All present day methanol is made from natural gas.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:46 AM
blw

I used Cool Power as well as some of my friends. I learned better and switched over to Omega 15% with a few oz of additional castor added. I was only stating something that I had heard myself years ago.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:01 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: blw

I used Cool Power as well as some of my friends. I learned better and switched over to Omega 15% with a few oz of additional castor added. I was only stating something that I had heard myself years ago.
Could you go into detail as to how you "learned better"?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool power 2 stroke 15% is rated at 17% lubricate. A little on the low side for most 2 stroke engines so just add an additive sold for two stroke gasoline engines to raise the oil content. I use nothing but Cool Power Helicopter fuel in all my two strokes and its' oil content is 23%.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:18 AM
Rudolph Hart

Hi mate the op started off by asking a question about how much shoot you get in your fuel or tank over time.Interesting answers and i reckon you are robbing your engine of horsepower by running so much oil.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:43 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Old Fart

Hi mate the op started off by asking a question about how much shoot you get in your fuel or tank over time.Interesting answers and i reckon you are robbing your engine of horsepower by running so much oil.
Hi mate, I was addressing another poster not the original. As far as robbing my engines of BHP your right but you don't fly in desert do you. I'm only pointing out the oil content of Cool Power fuel as a warning to others.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Ernie Misner

There's a recent article somewhere about how much power you actually do NOT loose when the oil percentage goes up. Wish I could find it. A lot of scientific testing went into it. Will sure keep my eyes open.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:01 PM
the pope

%20 oil , at least 1/4 of that castor . Life is good , easy ratio to mix as well
Old 07-18-2013, 02:30 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: the pope

%20 oil , at least 1/4 of that castor . Life is good , easy ratio to mix as well
Saito recommends Cool Power fuel. 17% oil is more than neccessary & castor is not needed in a Saito. Well over 60 gallons of Cool Power run through my FA150 proves that.

You can run varnish producing bean oil in your engine for added "insurance" if you feel you need it, but W/CDI I don't need it. In fact, I'm even considering dropping to 10% lube W/no castor.

Excess lube does reduce power & causes higher fuel consumption to boot as well as more carbon deposits. (especially castor)
Old 07-18-2013, 03:22 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

[&:][:'(]

Why do nearly ALL threads involving even the smallest snippet about fuel turn into a oil war? Get over it...

Do I have to read these threads? No I don't. But I choose to in the (lately) slim chance of learning something. I guess I'd be better off reading the newspaper instead.

[sigh] I'm done.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:22 AM
Rudolph Hart

Take no notice of popey i just heard a bad rumour that he likes jett(engines)and flys helis the mongrel
Old 07-18-2013, 08:16 AM
blw

The current small engine manual* from Saito recommends:

CoolPower
Omega
Hangar 9 Aero Blend
K&B
Powermaster

The only mention of castor is that Saito recommends against using all castor for lubrication.

Notice that Omega, Aero Blend, and Powermaster all contain some castor.

This is not to contribute to any castor or CoolPower war, but only to clarify the erroneous claim that Saito recommends against castor, and to point out that that Saito actually recommends fuel that contains castor.

I don't care what anyone uses but I do care about false claims.

* note: I'm talking about what Saito has recommended in the last 10 years, and not whatever was printed in the 1980's or 1990's.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:37 PM
the pope

ORIGINAL: Old Fart

Take no notice of popey i just heard a bad rumour that he likes jett(engines)and flys helis the mongrel
Now you've gone too far .No heaven for you ! If anyones interested and I know one is defiantly not but anywho the saito manual here in aus says no castor and seeing that I know more than them it gets some . As for the dreaded carbon castor build up , after 50hrs on one of mine there was a slight build up on the exhaust valve and the top of the piston just wiped off with a rag . So there , and to O.F. stop stirring the pot . Cheers the pope
Old 07-18-2013, 05:34 PM
SrTelemaster150

The current small engine manual* from Saito recommends:

CoolPower
Omega
Hangar 9 Aero Blend
K&B
Powermaster

This is not to contribute to any castor or CoolPower war, but only to clarify the erroneous claim that Saito recommends against castor, and to point out that that Saito actually recommends fuel that contains castor.

I don't care what anyone uses but I do care about false claims.

* note: I'm talking about what Saito has recommended in the last 10 years, and not whatever was printed in the 1980's or 1990's.

ORIGINAL: the pope

If anyones interested and I know one is defiantly not but anywho the saito manual here in aus says no castor

Saito only states (in their US manuals) that small percentages of castor are "acceptable".

They do not recommend castor as neccessary or Cool Power would not be on the list.

Funny that they would keep the no castor spec everywhere but in the USA. I still think it might have been a concession to all the castor fans in the USA to avoid turmoil.

Then again it could be that they don't trust Americans to tune their engines properly. American ammunition manufacturers do the same thing W/the 8X57 IS. They load it to a pathetic (low pressure) 2400 FPS W/a 170gr bullet to protect themselves from possible lawsuits when "Bubba" loads 8X57 IS ammo into an '88 "Commision Rifle.

The European ammo makers assume that "adults" will be using the ammunition & load the 8X57 IS to 2700 FPS W/a 198gr bullet.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:14 AM
spaceworm

OK, W8YE, bring out the deer/panda/squirrel eating popcorn video clip, please Thanks.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:07 AM
blw

This started out with the white flakes and white fibers that float around jugs of either CP or Omega. Interesting enough to wonder about. Flycatch has a good point about flying out there in Barstow. I've been there! There's a sign that says they get only an inch of rain a year, or about that amount, and that all falls at once. Anyway, I'm for keeping the thread going if we can keep it nearly on subject.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:48 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I used Melitta coffee filters. When I consolidated fuel jugs the other day. They are even cone shaped to fit the funnel i used. Works as well or better than using cheesecloth which would work as well.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:06 PM
spaceworm

a 3 dollar felt clunk filter works great on the end of the pickup tube in the can. Will last forever and designed for filtering fuel.