Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Cleaning glow engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:26 AM
JCFLYR
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning glow engines

Anyone have a good way to clean glow engines? In the past I have used a little glow fuel and elbow grease. Can I use steel wool on the motor? There has to be a better way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, JC
Old 05-17-2010, 11:50 AM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cleaning glow engines

Try this tread....................
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_83...tm.htm#8341022
cymaz: I looked it up. It is made by Proctor & Gamble who make Dawn Power Dissolver for the USA. I read the ad copy for FPS and it reads the exact same as DPD. I expect the two of them work the same way. Sounds to me like FPS is the "go to" product for cleaning up old burnt on castor or gummy fuel oil residue if you are in the UK/EU.

The ingredients are very similar, but not 100% exactly the same. Here are the MSDS (USA) and SDS (UK) for each product:

Fairy Power Spray

Dawn Power Dissolver

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_83...#ixzz0oCr3d2FG
Old 05-17-2010, 12:48 PM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also use the "Crockpot" method. This requires an old crockpot and standard antifeeze. Cook the engine over night - say 8 hours in warm, not boiling, antifreeze. Then clean up with an old tooth brush. Never ever use the crockpot for human consumption again as anti freeze is toxic. Also do this process in the garage or out of doors, never inside - the fumes are toxic.

Clean up the engine, oil it, reassemble it if disassembled (really the only way to go).

BTW, there are dozens of threads on how to do this. Do some surfing and find out.

Cheers,

Chip
Old 05-17-2010, 12:48 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dawn Power dissolver works very well with a old tooth brush

Let it stay on about a half hour

Long term immersion in Dawn Power Dissolver or Fairy Spray is not recommended as it will discolor diecast aluminum parts

The potpurri pot and warm antifreeze works very well but the parts must be completely submerged in the solution or there will be discolorations at the liquid surface level

Do not boil the antifreeze or it will discolor the alumiinum parts

Old 05-17-2010, 10:32 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For an engine that's been stripped, or for parts like a muffler or cylinder head, I've been using a small ultrasonic cleaner with a little CLR Oil and Grease Remover (black bottle) poured into the water. If you have to justify buying one, tell your better half it's perfect for cleaning jewellery .
Old 05-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Campgems

I'll second the ultrasonic. They are best if they have a heater built in. My choice for cleaning engines for function, not cosmetically, is glow fuel I put the engine parts in a glass beaker and put the beaker in the ultrasonic.. It doesn't do much for crash dirt though. That requires soapy water.

There are basically three types of curd that builds up on our engines. The worst looking but least troublesome is the baked on Castor Oil. Dawn Power cleaner will tackle it but it requires time and maybe three or four applications. Read the instructions and pay heed to the part about not using water until you are ready for the final cleanup.

The second type is the oil and wear curd the builds upIN the engine over time. Here, glow fuel does a great job of breaking it down and leaving a nice oily coat on everything when it is done.

The last is crash dirt. Sand, clay and what ever else you find in the pasture, requires some soap and water tor remove. Ithough I had the answer as one of our guys was polishing his engines and painting them, but wanted a method to clean the polish compound off. My suggestion was my Jewelery cleaning stuff that I've used for years. A little typo on the sample I sent him resulted in a very strong solution and it destroyed his polish on the aluminum parts. I'm not sure the standard mix wouldn't have done nearly the same, but in any case, if you are going to experiment with cleaners, be prepared for some discoloration.

I'm just finishing up an engine rebuild that I soaked for 24 hours in glow fuel and then through the ultrasonic for 15 minutes. The inside looked great. The fins still had a coating of red desert dust on them. A couple minutes with some Kurd buster and a tooth brush and things looked good as new. The glow fuel didn't touch the dirt though. Ithink it would be best to attack the engine with the Dawn first, soapy water to get the dirt second and then a bath in the glow fuel as a finishing touch to make sure the water is gone and every thing has at least some oil on it. Thenliberal after run oil on the assembly.

Don

Old 05-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Motorboy

I cleaned the engine parts direct in the ultrasonic cleaner, see this link of my ultrasonic cleaner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOlcxZrdCTQ [sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Nothing of the parts was soaked in fuel or used crock pot before ultrasonic cleaning..