Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Bridi Rearwin speedster build?

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Bridi Rearwin speedster build?

Old 06-27-2013, 03:36 PM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bridi Rearwin speedster build?

I would think so. It's about 5 inches at the narrowest( at the very front) you may have to get creative, but I think so. What engine are you thinking?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Walther
My Feedback: (1)

A 3.2 Brison.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:20 PM
stevegauth30

I had to shorten the engine box to fit the ST 3200 . I still don't know if ill have to cut the cowl for the exhaust yet. I'm hoping not. The 3.2 should pull it just fine I would imagine.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:43 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw this build... nice choice! I have the Ikon N'West Rearwin Speedster kit. I've got the fuse complete along with the tail feathers and wingtip bows.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Cliffc

This is a very nice build and I am greatly pleased to have found it.  The plane is one that I've greatly admired and while I was aware of the Ikon N'West version I didn't know about this kit which seems pretty stout.  Look forward to your completing it  and seeing some of these other planes in work.  Best Regards, Cliffc
Old 06-28-2013, 09:58 AM
HOT COALS

HI STEVE,  I REMEMBER building  the speedster  back in the 70st. It had a  S/T  3000 in her. Flew very well & fast.  And the pylon racers couldn't  keep up with it.. Still hanging in my old house in N.J. That my son owns now.  I enjoy  watching  building  threads & how this hobby has come a long way.  Keep up the work guy's &  don't let  the amrf  get ahead . ( lazy man building ).    GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BUILD.   HOT COALS.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry about the 3250 having enough power. I flew a Morrsie Bravo with a ST 3000 and had more than enough power....

Larry
Old 06-28-2013, 02:02 PM
stevegauth30

Thank you guys for taking an interest in my speedster thread. I have loved this plane since I was just a little kid. Growing up I spent a lot of time in northern Maine at my grandparents where the farmer next door owned a 6000M. My passion for anything aviation can be attributed to him. By the time I was 9 or 10, he would take me up almost daily. The time of my life. As soon as I got into rc, which was only a few years ago, I started searching for a speedster to build. After a while of not having any luck, I met a guy on Craigslist who had a stockpile of kits for sale, and there it was. Walaaaaah, a 1/4 scale rearwin. I didn't want to try to build it right away, I wanted to get a few builds under my belt. So here I am, build number 13. And as for the build, I would say the most enjoyable to date. I'm ready to stop slacking and get this bird done. I'm dying to see it with the cream trim and all painted up. So, enough blabbing. Thanks for listening, Steve.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:14 PM
stevegauth30

Well, I made some progress, no matter how small. I finally ordered an inverted Pitts muffler for the 3250, and final sanded the fuse for covering. I thought I would be able to order the last roll of fabric as well, but it will have to wait till next week. At least now ill be able to start the break in on the engine. I'm also probably going to install smoke on it. I think this plane would be a good candidate foe a smoke system. No shortage of room inside. I also think I'm going to cut in a functional door and build a scale cockpit if the weight is still on the low side. ( not that weight is an issue with the big beast under the cowl). Little by slow I'm making progress again. Steve.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Walther

I would say that the door is almost a necessity, that is what I am going to do.

Tom.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:05 PM
stevegauth30

Yeah, I thought about it during the framing, but didn't think it was all that much of a nessecity. What was I thinking. That's alright, still easy enough to do now.steve.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Walther

Well lets get on with it!
Old 07-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Walther

Steve; did you ever order the louvers for your Rearwin?
Old 07-13-2013, 12:54 PM
stevegauth30

no, not yet. money has been real tight. im finishing it little by little as i can afford to.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Walther

No sure where you work, but was looking around for louver, and almost cut up my pc case there are some nice aluminum louvers in the bottom of it, maybe a guy should look for some old electronics for some. The ones we are looking at seem a bit pricy.

Tom
Old 07-13-2013, 03:29 PM
stevegauth30

holy crap. your genius. as i read that i looked over at the old desktop and sure as @#%&, a perfectly sized set of them. even like the real plane. each side has a big one and a smaller one. thanks so much for the great idea.steve.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:32 PM
stevegauth30

probably a tad heavier, but not a big deal with the big ST.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:46 AM
Walther

Hey Steve; What brand and model of pc is it? Might save me some looking.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:53 AM
stevegauth30

It's an old compaq pc. Not sure the model. All I had of it was the one side of the tower and the guts. Not the front. There's actually not quite enough on it to do it how I wanted, but I may try to figure out a way.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Walther

Steven; what are you going to use for a muffler on that ST.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:50 PM
stevegauth30

I got the bisson inverted wrap around Pitts. I think it will be a good fit. I just haven't had the time yet to install it.im REALLY. Hoping to NOT. Have to cut any holes in the cowl. Hopefully.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:04 AM
stevegauth30

Wow, I didn't realize just how much work was left to do. I finally got the rest of the fabric for the fuse, and thought it was ready for covering. Well, I was wrong. I still have to cut and prep the windows, and a ton of sanding. I also really want to cut a functioning door in, but I don't think it's worth it with what's involved due to the way it's framed and the servo tray inside. Who knows, I might still do it. Then I have to start looking in to matching the paint for the fiberglass pieces.other than that, she's almost done.( sarcasm). On another note, I still need to build a new test stand to break in the engine.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:28 PM
stevegauth30

At last, some progress. I decided agains the door for now. I think there's plenty of room and access from the bottom, even for a smoke system. If I decide later to do it, it will be just as much work as if I do it now. I'm just happy to be working on it again, and to see some red on it.now to get the engine broken in...well, after the fabric is complete, of course.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36470.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	1903399  
Old 07-24-2013, 10:54 AM
stevegauth30

Ok, I really don't think that anyone is still following along anymore, with the exception of Walther, but I'll give an update anyway. I'm a bit annoyed that I still need another roll of fabric for just the elevators and the landing gear, but that's life. I will order it in a day or two. Also, I thought I had a lot more of the cream colored fabric than I do for the trim, but I will have to get more of that as well. Enough of the complaining though, on a good note, I'm VERY pleased with the weight of it. I was expecting around 17 to 20 lbs, but its just under 14. That's with everything except servos, which I still need as well, but I can't see six servos weighing all that much. All in all, I'm quite pleased with it so far. If anyone it still following along, what's your opinion? As for the wing struts, should I paint them or wrap them with fabric? If I paint them, the color may not Mach properly, if I cover them, it may peel off. Although I have had success in the past with covering them. Any input would be nice. Thanks, Steve.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Walther

Steven; The lone voice! What are you going to use for paint on the cowl? I would use that. Your weight sounds good. I picked up a 3250 and I think that this is the way to go. I will be here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.