Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage reincarnation

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:29 AM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Savage reincarnation

After running the FLM chassis for about 5 years, I finally decided it was time to do a mid tank after breaking my 3rd tank in a few months time. This truck was purchased in '04, has around 23 gallons through it on 3 engines, and has been through a LOT.

Anyways, I opted for the OFNA 250cc tank for extended run time, I fabbed up some brackets out of 1mm stainless (scraps I had) for the front tank mount, receiver box mount, and battery mount. I bought an RPM battery box to run on the side of the TVPs, but IMO it made the truck look more cluttered so I decided to run the battery inside the frame. Here are a few pics, let me know what you think. I'm still trying to think of a way to secure the battery without using zip ties, apart from that I just need a servo horn for the throttle and 2 servo extensions. Ah and plastidipping the servo casings as well as heat shrinking all the wiring/ connectors.

I also updated the skids to the X style finally, which I really like in respect to the hinge pin retainers. I added some camber adjustable control arms for the rear because the Integy toe eliminators didn't offer a camber neutral position and were wearing the inner edge of my tires- not to mention it just looked stupid with negative camber in the rear only. I bought my first "real" servos, Savox 56 for steering and 58 for throttle/ brake, I hope they'll serve me well. I reamed out openings for an on off switch on the front box, an antenna mast mount, and also a notch in the back for the wiring to go through for a cleaner appearance.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:55 PM
rcnitrohead

Default RE: Savage reincarnation

Well... This forum died.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 AM
ejc34710

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, its pretty slow. I have the same TVPs and have been wanting to do the mid tank conversion for some time. I really like the way yours turned out, and love that tank. I think i will have to go about the same route you did. Looks good.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:15 PM
rcnitrohead

Man I remember the days when it was hard just to keep your thread on the first page, too bad. If I wasn't such a cheap bum I'd chuck all the FLM gear and go with Innovative but it just didn't make sense financially. Not to mention it would've been well over $150 for the chassis+ mid tank components.

Thanks man, I like it too. I've been slacking off on it but I should have it completed by early next week, I can't wait to try it out! It should be pretty unbelievable with 19/47 and Terra Pins on top of Picco 28 power- should be insane.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:59 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

Nice work!

Shame this forum is pretty much dead now. I guess the Savage and MTs in general just don't have the same kind of mass appeal they did back in the day. This is the first time I've been around in a while, it'll probably be another few months before I show up again, lol.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:20 PM
rcnitrohead

Thanks and I agree. Too bad I didn't take any new pics, but I threw some Terra Pins on it and finished the rest.

With 19/47 she ran a highest of 53mph, a little bog off the line but she still gets up and goes pretty quick. I think I'm going to pick up a 17t and it'll be perfect for my taste. Apart from that, I regret buying the Savox servos and will most likely sell them. I cant run my Futaba in HRS mode cause of the power drain, and my receiver battery lasts 40 mins. No thanks []

The mid tank setup on the other hand I'm very happy with, its like a different truck. Coming from vehicles that were plagued by half tank lean, this is like a dream come true. 30 min run times that are smooth and consistent without touching the needles, its so worth it.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:24 AM
-SomeGuy-

Nice truck man. the picco is just like it should be, road rash and bent fins lol.

I've been wanting to do a mid tank for so long, in fact since chronic hinted at making a kit. When I do decide to do it I will be going full Innovative, I never really liked the FLMs.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:25 AM
rcnitrohead

Thanks Someguy! Good to see some old timers still around. Yep thats been every engine on every MT I've ever owned lol.

Ahh, his TVPs were sweet. I wonder what ever happened to him, its too bad. Yes Innovative is definitely the way to go, they definitely make quality stuff from what I've seen. Not to say FLM is terrible, but the design on some parts is a little iffy. I bent up 2 of their engine plates like a pretzel and finally they sent me a solid 3mm plate lol, been holding up so far. The TVP has melted a bit where my old STS header used to touch it, along with clearance issues from the engine/ mount.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:17 PM
ejc34710

Hmm, would like to try those innovative. I just got recently FLM ext lcg tvps (love telling people that line when they ask what I did to the truck when they don't about rc) and love em.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:46 AM
rcnitrohead

The TVPs have been decent, the engine plates however- like I mentioned earlier.

I put a few more tanks on the truck and it was great apart from breaking an aftermarket CF tie rod. Receiver pack run time seems to have increased a bit, now I can go for 2 full tanks before it puking lol. I have a problem thats making this truck very expensive to run though. I'm burning up a plug after each tank, the tune is spot on and we have played with it to see if it helps but nothing. Leaner/ richer it keeps fouling plugs, what gives? []. This engine was always great on plugs, I'd change it maybe once or twice a year. Now it costs at least $18 a day in plugs to run for 2 hours [:@]

Also let me add- The engine was torn down and cleaned/ sealed of course. The only variable is that the fuel is old (ODonnell's- didn't sit on a cold floor, was in a cool dry place) but I've never had issues running fuel from last season. I'll have to try a fresh gallon out of curiosity.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:14 PM
savagerobbin

del

Last edited by savagerobbin; 01-15-2018 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:13 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Man i miss those savage vs tmaxx threads hehhehe...now i cant find all the upgrade parts made for savage back then..
Old 02-09-2019, 08:00 AM
bobbd

maybe a fueline air leak
Old 04-21-2019, 08:03 AM
jssouthtx

Originally Posted by rcnitrohead
Well... This forum died.
im kinda thinking the same thing. Scrolling around looking for somewhere to get my 10 posts in so I can start a build thread, and everything looks dead.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:15 PM
rcnitrohead

Default Update 7 years later, the Savage continues to live on!! Save the Savages and nitros!!

Despite this forum being dead, I still wanted to post an update with my truck to give hope to others who have given up on the nitro MT aspect of the hobby considering how many sad changes there have been in the industry with the HPI and aftermarket engine situation.

I just finished doing a good 10-15 hour teardown and refresh of the whole truck and engine, along with some mid tank setup changes. After completing the FLM mid tank conversion I elected to try out a set of Savox servos (They were all the rage 5 years back) and had nothing but problems. My Futaba 3PM FASST couldn't run them in HRS mode, I was constantly having brown outs and glitching (Even tried using a capacitor to aid in this, no dice), and my RX batteries would not last more than 20-30 minutes. If anyone wants them they are the 1256TG and 1258TG units I paid around $150 for and have less than 2 hours of run time in the truck. I'd be willing to let them go cheap just PM me.

The clutch had fallen apart, somehow the crank screw backed out (Not sure how as I'm meticulous about loctiiting EVERY metal to metal screw on the truck and made a huge mess. The shocks and diffs were blown out and needed a full service, along with other odds and ends. I ended up buying a flat RX pack and making a bracket to mount in the rear as well as relocated my RX gear to what previously served as the battery box all in the name of more weight bias and even weight distribution. As awesome as the mid tank setup is- I need my wheelies man!!

I was able to take the truck out for a test run yesterday and it still has some kinks that need to be worked out. The Hitec servos I put in are bigger than the Savoxes, the steering servo had to be mounted further back causing some linkage issues. I'll make a run to the LHS soon to see if I can pick up a longer/ stiffer servo horn and maybe cobble up a longer linkage because as is the plastic horn just bends and I can't really turn right or much at all. The Picco is also tired after 8-9 gallons now and isn't making the extreme power she used to. Finding a suitable replacement engine has been a sad experience, no STS (My favorite big block short of the Picco to this day), no Picco, no rotostart Nova 28s either. I've had bad experiences with LRP carbs so the 32 is a last resort but I inquired with Nova to see if they have any plans to sell a roto 28 again (As annoying as using turbo plugs would be, I need that Nova power baby).

Otherwise the truck ran super solid, can't wait to get her back to 100% and flying through the air again. With the Picco on terra pins and 19/47 my buddy and I clocked the truck at 53mph with his radar gun, I can't just throw in some lame engine now after experiencing such power and ease of running lol. Anyways, hopefully this inspires others to dust off their trucks and burn some nitro before the hobby completely dies out. Save the nitro MTs!

Last edited by rcnitrohead; 08-20-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:40 AM
wolfie1

Hello rcnitrohead, i mind you from when i was on here all the time, (was wondering if budbud was still about on here too) i still have my savage and have gotten back into the hobby again and its nice to read a familiar forum name 😊
Old 10-13-2020, 05:47 PM
rcnitrohead

Originally Posted by wolfie1
Hello rcnitrohead, i mind you from when i was on here all the time, (was wondering if budbud was still about on here too) i still have my savage and have gotten back into the hobby again and its nice to read a familiar forum name 😊
Awww the scale boat dude! Its nice to see an old timer still checking in . I can't believe time has flown by so fast, hopefully its been kind to all of you!

Side note: I've been in SoCal for a few years now and since getting the Savage running I can't believe how hard its been to find nitro. Gallons seem impossible unless I order them online, or maybe I just haven't found the right LHS yet. Worst case its time to hit the drag strip and brew up some home made methanol mix lol

Last edited by rcnitrohead; 10-13-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:22 PM
GYU HOBBY RC

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I look forward to reincarnation.
I also have Savage.
It's an interesting product.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:18 AM
rcnitrohead

Originally Posted by GYU HOBBY RC
I look forward to reincarnation.
I also have Savage.
It's an interesting product.
Interesting is one way to put it, but it was definitely the most bad@$$ and bomb proof truck out there in its heyday in my opinion. I'd like to think it forced Traxxas and everyone else to step their game up with regards to durability.

I have another update, I'm sorry to say that I'm a bit frustrated with this rig (Surprise surprise! Haha). I took it out a couple more times since my last update and it's been misbehaving. I ordered and installed an extended aluminum servo horn because I thought the stock HiTec one was flexing so much that it was simply acting like a spring and sucking up all the steering torque- I was wrong. For some reason this thing just won't steer, even at speed I barely get 10-20% and can only turn by hitting the brakes at full lock. There is no binding in the steering setup so I will take it apart one more time to confirm that, I don't see any reason why the truck would struggle to turn with a brand new Hitec 5645MG and Dynamite 1700mah RX pack.

The other issue is the Picco, I figured it was about done but this very last time I had the truck out- it was miserable. I'd be lucky if I got 10 minutes of run time and went through 2 glow plugs. I barely got any time to run before sunset but as I was packing up I noticed that my fuel return line had torn at the exhaust- so here's hoping that was the culprit!!! (Fingers crossed).

Otherwise I've been keeping an eye out for a new engine and I'm still not sure of what to do. Could go cheap with a Dynamite Big Red but I've been reading that the pull/ rotostart combo is garbage and breaks in short order. I could also go with an LRP 32 but once again, I'd have to figure out a starter situation and as far as my research got me- they no longer sell the roto adapter for these engines and I can't find any thread of someone cobbling something together. Essentially I'd have to buy one and hope I can make something fit. Short of that I don't see any more options and unless I get the LRP I don't see anything coming close to the Picco being able to hit second gear wheelies on such tall gearing (18/47).

I'm swamped with work for now so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get the truck out again, but replacement fuel lines should be here early next week so here's hoping for a change of fortune next time!