Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Savage reincarnation

After running the FLM chassis for about 5 years, I finally decided it was time to do a mid tank after breaking my 3rd tank in a few months time. This truck was purchased in '04, has around 23 gallons through it on 3 engines, and has been through a LOT.

Anyways, I opted for the OFNA 250cc tank for extended run time, I fabbed up some brackets out of 1mm stainless (scraps I had) for the front tank mount, receiver box mount, and battery mount. I bought an RPM battery box to run on the side of the TVPs, but IMO it made the truck look more cluttered so I decided to run the battery inside the frame. Here are a few pics, let me know what you think. I'm still trying to think of a way to secure the battery without using zip ties, apart from that I just need a servo horn for the throttle and 2 servo extensions. Ah and plastidipping the servo casings as well as heat shrinking all the wiring/ connectors.

I also updated the skids to the X style finally, which I really like in respect to the hinge pin retainers. I added some camber adjustable control arms for the rear because the Integy toe eliminators didn't offer a camber neutral position and were wearing the inner edge of my tires- not to mention it just looked stupid with negative camber in the rear only. I bought my first "real" servos, Savox 56 for steering and 58 for throttle/ brake, I hope they'll serve me well. I reamed out openings for an on off switch on the front box, an antenna mast mount, and also a notch in the back for the wiring to go through for a cleaner appearance.

Team Pontiac

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Savage reincarnation

Well... This forum died.
    Team Pontiac

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yea, its pretty slow. I have the same TVPs and have been wanting to do the mid tank conversion for some time. I really like the way yours turned out, and love that tank. I think i will have to go about the same route you did. Looks good.
    T-Maxx, Savage X, Savage XS, MT2 18ss, Speedwing 250mk2, MS composite swift, GP Eagle 580, GP spitfire, Erratix, furion 450

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Man I remember the days when it was hard just to keep your thread on the first page, too bad. If I wasn't such a cheap bum I'd chuck all the FLM gear and go with Innovative but it just didn't make sense financially. Not to mention it would've been well over $150 for the chassis+ mid tank components.

Thanks man, I like it too. I've been slacking off on it but I should have it completed by early next week, I can't wait to try it out! It should be pretty unbelievable with 19/47 and Terra Pins on top of Picco 28 power- should be insane.
    Team Pontiac

Nice work!

Shame this forum is pretty much dead now. I guess the Savage and MTs in general just don't have the same kind of mass appeal they did back in the day. This is the first time I've been around in a while, it'll probably be another few months before I show up again, lol.
    \"Politicians and diapers are both full of crap and should be changed regularly\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks and I agree. Too bad I didn't take any new pics, but I threw some Terra Pins on it and finished the rest.

With 19/47 she ran a highest of 53mph, a little bog off the line but she still gets up and goes pretty quick. I think I'm going to pick up a 17t and it'll be perfect for my taste. Apart from that, I regret buying the Savox servos and will most likely sell them. I cant run my Futaba in HRS mode cause of the power drain, and my receiver battery lasts 40 mins. No thanks []

The mid tank setup on the other hand I'm very happy with, its like a different truck. Coming from vehicles that were plagued by half tank lean, this is like a dream come true. 30 min run times that are smooth and consistent without touching the needles, its so worth it.
    Team Pontiac

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice truck man. the picco is just like it should be, road rash and bent fins lol.

I've been wanting to do a mid tank for so long, in fact since chronic hinted at making a kit. When I do decide to do it I will be going full Innovative, I never really liked the FLMs.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Someguy! Good to see some old timers still around. Yep thats been every engine on every MT I've ever owned lol.

Ahh, his TVPs were sweet. I wonder what ever happened to him, its too bad. Yes Innovative is definitely the way to go, they definitely make quality stuff from what I've seen. Not to say FLM is terrible, but the design on some parts is a little iffy. I bent up 2 of their engine plates like a pretzel and finally they sent me a solid 3mm plate lol, been holding up so far. The TVP has melted a bit where my old STS header used to touch it, along with clearance issues from the engine/ mount.
    Team Pontiac

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hmm, would like to try those innovative. I just got recently FLM ext lcg tvps (love telling people that line when they ask what I did to the truck when they don't about rc) and love em.
    T-Maxx, Savage X, Savage XS, MT2 18ss, Speedwing 250mk2, MS composite swift, GP Eagle 580, GP spitfire, Erratix, furion 450

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The TVPs have been decent, the engine plates however- like I mentioned earlier.

I put a few more tanks on the truck and it was great apart from breaking an aftermarket CF tie rod. Receiver pack run time seems to have increased a bit, now I can go for 2 full tanks before it puking lol. I have a problem thats making this truck very expensive to run though. I'm burning up a plug after each tank, the tune is spot on and we have played with it to see if it helps but nothing. Leaner/ richer it keeps fouling plugs, what gives? []. This engine was always great on plugs, I'd change it maybe once or twice a year. Now it costs at least $18 a day in plugs to run for 2 hours [:@]

Also let me add- The engine was torn down and cleaned/ sealed of course. The only variable is that the fuel is old (ODonnell's- didn't sit on a cold floor, was in a cool dry place) but I've never had issues running fuel from last season. I'll have to try a fresh gallon out of curiosity.
    Team Pontiac