Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
 Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 build >

Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 09:35 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 build

Hi friends,

There are also CG Ultimate lovers at this side of the pond. Here is a photo of my RTF Bluehawk RTF version powered by an ancient OS 120 FS (first version). I am second owner as it was asembled by a clib mate about 5 years ago and I bought it from him just two years ago.

I have done about 50 flights with it and I am very proud of both the model/engine combo: no 3D possible but performance well beyond that of a real plane with vertical out of sight accelerating climb just after take of just to name a maneover.

Only thing I found with mine is it needs a bit of up trim even I have checked C. of G. several times as well as engine incidence and both seems to be right so I think the reason may be on the wing/stabilizer incidence but anyway nothing important for my sport aerobatic flying.

Just today I have flown it after a major overhauling and had to stop flying due to the silencer presure nipple screwing off making the engine quit at the top of a wing over on the downwind side of my landing strip. I just kept the model vertical to about 30 ft and then leveled to reach the strip; touched down just in 1/3rd lenght with a bit overspeed, lightly bounced and just had to add a little more up to make a greasser second touch and retrieving the model from just the middle of the tarmac.

After retrieving the model previous owner offered buying it from me again!, answer........a big smile.
Best of luck with your Ultimates on maiden and best regards from Spain

Jesus Cardin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18821.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	849838  
Old 01-13-2008, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bienvenido Jesus!

I'm jealous, my Ultimate is in cold storage until spring!

Ken
Old 01-13-2008, 05:08 PM

Jesus...............Good show mate. Don't sell it back. I have about 10 flights on mine. Powered by a Saito 120 4/s. Here are two pictures, one picture not that good, but it is in flight trimming doing a low pass, checking out the sink. I fly off grass with a nearby pond, you can see the pond on the second picture behind me. I have reinforced the soft landing gear with piano wire on the back of the stock landing gear, it is much better now. Transporting in one piece is my only problem, even in a Toyota truck, but it just fits in.
Nice flyer.

Right now I'm in the same situation as Ken (iflyfisher) mothballed for the winter, but I have given her a maintenance check out about a month ago. Vibration from an engine this size and landings are bound to get screws to come undone. So check her out after each flight. Don't get too cocky with this one, you have to keep ahead of it. It goes where you aim it. The Blue covering is beautiful when on the ground, but can go quite dark very quickly, I have added Cub yellow on the Leading edges and yellow strips underside, and I might also add yellow to the interplane struts. With this dark blue color always depends upon the sun location. But it is a nice color.

Good luck.
Charles.

Name:	Nl29749.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	850307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13627.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	850308  
Old 01-13-2008, 05:22 PM

Hello Ken..................Santa was good last year. After deciding what I want for Christmas, I went for the Hangar 9 F4U Corsair. I did a little bit of research on it and decided to go for it. Horizon was back ordering this kit as they had quite a bit of demand. When I got mine a few days ago, I found on inspection the fuselage first couple of formers where badly damaged, so I had it returned and received the replacement after a week. Now I have two projects to work. We are just crazy people.
This kit has some nice covering job, although I don't like their retracts, so I have ordered a set from Sierra Giants, they make a 95 degrees rotating especially for this Corsair.

Cheers and Happy New Year

Charles.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:02 PM

Hi Charles,

Nice addition. Santa gave me no new RC gear for Christmas. I guess she figger'd I had enough already. I have more planes than I can seem to fly now, plus I have a Goldberg Chipmunk that has had the wing and fuse built for about three years, and I have done nothing with it. I keep saying this winter, but I don't seem to make any progress. Now with the Ultimate flying, I really don't feel a push to get it done. My winter project is an acoustic guitar. I decided to branch out a bit!

Ken
Old 01-13-2008, 06:49 PM

Ken...........what can I say ! Wow.........Acoustic guitar, my favorite instrument. Years back I took classical guitar lessons for about a year, and then life got complicated, family demands, besides keeping finger nails the right height, without biting them [sm=lol.gif]. We then moved house and never got back to it. I was doing so well, sometimes I can still hear that wonderful sound of a classical guitar. I still have this wonderful Yamaha classical guitar. Like you I keep saying "Someday I'll get back to it". I played by reading music and not by ear. I just don't have that special talent, so I need to read the music. My favorite classical guitarist Leona Boyd. Country guitarist Billy Ray, Johnny Cash, Garth Brooks just about all the country boys. You know sometimes you have to do something different, otherwise it gets boring.

The Chipmunk, nice plane. I know a guy who did his Masters Thesis on the Chipmunk at the University of Tennessee Space Institute in Tullahoma Tennessee. It had something to do with a spin. This guy is a Canadian Military Air Force Major. Also at that same period my daughter who is a Captain also in the Canadian Air Force was doing her Masters Degree Majoring in Aero Space Engineering, at the Space Institute in Tullahoma Tennessee. Her Thesis An Experimental study: Using Honeycomb to Reduce Secondary Flows in Curved Ducts. Too technical, too much math for me.

Anyways good luck with your project. PM pictures of your project, occasionally.

Charles/Garth
Old 01-14-2008, 07:22 PM

Ken and Charles, many thanks for your wellcome and be sure I will not resell my CG Ultimate. In fact I bought second hand as I adquired one of the first kits that arrived in Spain well in 1991 and due to work and home changes I never started it finally selling to a good friend about five years ago in a difficult economic moment.

So things going better and suddenly having the opportunitty to buy this RTF version I didn´t think twice and made an offer to my club mate who quickly accepted. Next Sunday wether permiting I will take it to my flying field and will take some photos for posting here.

Although I live in the mountains nearly Madrid, this year is Spain is quite dry and we do not have snow nor even important rains, but this last Sunday surely was quite cold and all at the field left early due to it.

Again thanks for your consideration and best regards,

Jesus Cardin
Old 01-15-2008, 08:59 AM

Jesus.................that's nice that you are able to fly at this time of year. When you say COLD, how cold is it ?. I don't imagine it's as cold as in North America. Our flying season starts in about three more months. Some guys will still fly with skis on their planes, unless one's fingers freezes on the stick [sm=lol.gif]. Not my kind of enjoyment. I would hate to dead stick, then you'll need snow shoes. But there are always the Bravehearts.

Charles.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:34 PM

Hi Friends, sorry for delay posting again but I forgot my camera last sunday and till just today I have been unable of taking some more photos.
Charles, here where I live wich is in the mountains north of Madrid we usually reach during winter middays arround 2-3ºC which equals 38-40ºF, although this year we have enjoied a very fine not too hot summer and now have a not to cold winter (the global heating effect perhaps?, who knows!).

Two weeks ago we were just at 40ºF but with a north wind just from the mountains that froze the fingers and we decided to call it a day and head for home for a hot coffee and have a morning building season.

Today, in the other hand, it was just like a spring day: quite warn and with little wind. Enclosed I include two photos, one of the parking area (note how club mates avoid parking their models in the shadow) and then of my Ultimate between models from other club mates.

I also leave a link to my club website where you can find details, videos and photos of the members planes and, finally, a link to Google Maps so you may take an idea where my club flying field is and to which you are invited if someday come to Spain, of course.

Hope you like it and best regards.

Jesus Cardin

http://www.aguilasrc.com/

http://maps.google.es/maps?f=q&hl=es...&t=h&z=16&om=0

Name:	Bz77778.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	862426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99020.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	862427  
Old 01-27-2008, 04:11 PM

Jesus................that is one nice field you have there. I belong to two clubs, ten minutes apart from each other. The field that I go to most times is about 24 Km., roughly 25 mins. away from home. Here's are pictures of one of the fields that I go to. Weather still very cold and snowing.

Charles.

Name:	Ol31282.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	862643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58182.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	862644  
Old 01-27-2008, 04:15 PM

Received your PM. Very interesting what you're doing. My Sierra retracts for the Hangar 9 F4U Corser are on their way, eager to see what they look like.

Charles.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:17 PM

Jesus, que bien que puede volar durante el invierno alla. Yo estoy approvechando aqui, pero tengo que volar entre tormentas de nieve! Solo tengo un avion que puedo usar y es un chiquito hecho de espuma. Los otros estan quardado en el sotano esperando la primavera!

Ken
Old 01-30-2008, 08:41 AM

Ken.....that is so impressive !.

Charles.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:14 AM

Charles,

I lived in Chile for a few years. I don't get to practice my spanish very much!

How's your F4U coming along?

Ken
Old 01-30-2008, 11:24 AM

Ken............I understand. Bi-lingualism is important.

Just received my Sierra rotating retracts for the F4U Corsair. I have not started anything just yet. I just completed my main landing gear struts mod. on my (Pica) Waco YMF 3/5 1/6TH. Scale. Had to reinforce that part of this plane. I've also finished completing the U-CAN-DO .60 which will test fly early in the spring. My Waco is about three years old, but I did'nt fly it last summer. If you would like to see pics. I can download a couple.

Charles.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:29 PM

Ken, many thanks for your answer and top congratulations for your excellent spanish, sir!.

Best Regards,

Jesus Cardin
Old 05-17-2008, 05:46 AM

Tuwood, just started an ultimate build and taken alot of inspiration from this thread so thank you very much for that! Have made any further progress on your ultimate a.k.a "MKII"?
Old 06-03-2008, 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: fallingleaf

Tuwood, just started an ultimate build and taken alot of inspiration from this thread so thank you very much for that! Have made any further progress on your ultimate a.k.a "MKII"?
I'm glad to see you've gotten some good out of it all. I've unfortunately been slacking for quite a while on my building so I haven't made any progress yet on Ultie II. It's still sitting with the wings & tail feathers completed as it has for quite some time.

Between work & my kid's sports, I barely find time to fly my foamies around in the back yard let alone do any building. []
The good news is that I know it's out there & I will finish it one of these days.

Tony
Old 07-01-2008, 09:50 PM
My Feedback: (50)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I’m running into a small problem. I have an old used goldburg ultimate. I love this plane. Anyway. The bottom wing is attached with two bolts. Bold through a large washer then the wing into a blind nut. The front bold keeps vibrating out. Tonight I was lucky and came in with the front bolt gone. Suggestions for fixing this.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:17 PM

Hi Cub Man,
I would either use thread lock every time you bolt it in (messy and alot of hassle). Or I would try get the old blind nuts out and re-srill and seat a new blind nut set with 1/4" dubro nylon bolts. I have three in mine, one in front and two at the rear. Soild as.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:43 AM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all, here is a couple pics of mine. Its appx 16 years old and Im the 4th owner ! I rebuilt it last winter and had to do ALOT of wood replacement in the wings as well as other stuff to get it flyable again. but she's a screamer now!! YS 120ac powered.
Im wondering if this plane will do any 3D stuff? Anybody out there tried it with an ultimate?
[img][/img][img][/img]
John

Name:	Wu60278.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	982690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu63953.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	982691  
Old 07-02-2008, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi John,

The Ultimate is very aerobatic but not 3D. However when powered like yours it will hover. If you wan't real 3D performance you need a different model.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 07-02-2008, 08:08 PM

I have my eye on an aeroworks yak 54 90-120 for my next model. Looks like a really sweet 3d plane and will rock with my os 120ax, or the GP Sukhoi 160 too. I don't think the dynamics of the Ultimate and the design allow for very stable 3d stuff, I will see though when I fly mine when its finnished!

looking very nice by the way John
Old 07-02-2008, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Crash and Leaf [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
John
Old 07-05-2008, 01:35 PM

You guys are wrong. The Ultimate can do just about any 3D you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.