Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Pay it forward (Was freebie and fee engine) >

Pay it forward (Was freebie and fee engine)

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Pay it forward (Was freebie and fee engine)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 05:37 PM
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pay it forward (Was freebie and fee engine)

Since the movie was Pay it forward and that has basically become the theme of the Freebie thing Razor started, lets use this thread for that purpose.

I would like to suggest that the link to this thread be passed on so this thing can do what it's designed for and that is to get as many people involved as possible

The only rule is that you need to give back to someone that has a need or flat out just needs help in the hobby. If getting some of these free items helps you get a trainer completed so you can train newbies, are a newbie (young and not so young) that really needs things that they cannot afford, etc...

Please do not ask the person that is offering an item or items for them if it just because you want it and don't have it yet. Please let the person doing the offering decide what, and how and who and do not flame, trash, or otherwise downplay their generosity. If you ask for something please follow through. Use "PM" to talk in private about any deal for something that is being offered.

The person that is giving an item has the sole discression as to who gets it. There is no "panel" or "group" that makes that decision

Here is a suggested way to handle this but it is not "set in stone" or is the "required way". Good judgement is the key.

If you are looking for an item, place a post asking if anyone has it
If you have the item and wish to give it to the person asking, then PM the person, get a conversation going and then make the decision yourself if or if not you feel the person deserves the item.

If you have an item or items you wish to give away:

Place a post of the item(s) and be as thorough as you can about the item
If you see an item that has been posted and wish to acquire it, then PM the person that is giving it away and get a conversation going.[/b]

I wish to make it well known that RC Universe (RCU) has graciously allowed this post to be pinned permanetly to the top of the beginners thread and I thank them [sm=thumbup.gif] along with the excellent start that Razor did with him giving away the first item in another thread, thank you very much Razor, well done and way too coo!!!!

We can now accept donations. You may send a donation using Paypal to pif @ rcuniverse.com
Old 11-19-2004, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pay it forward (Was freebie and fee engine)

Maybe the mods can take this post and turn it into a subtitle under Beginners<yeah know like some forums have support forumsd> This is a great idea for a freebie forum... Guys on here are to generous![8D]
Old 11-19-2004, 08:58 PM

This would be a good thing , but on the internet how can you tell if they need it or are just trying to make money on Ebay. I have things that a person could use but paying S&H and who is going to take responsibility for clames against sender. If a person could keep it local it might work, like with in the state or area!
Old 11-19-2004, 09:02 PM

Hmm that's a good point... Those people ruin things for people who REALLY need it...We do need to think of a "system" to tell if a person really needs something...If the person really wanted to know they weren't giving somthing to someone who didnt need it they could check past posts ect.. But of course you cant do this w/ people new to the forum...
Old 11-19-2004, 09:13 PM

It is hard to put something like this down but we have young people that can scam you better than a pro. Any Ideas that could and may help, Club sponser, Scotts, or even a school project. Any way to verify that they need or have no way to advance in the hobby
Old 11-19-2004, 09:21 PM
My Feedback: (50)

Mr James- Well done! I have always like this principle of "Pay it forward"

The engine and 4 servos I mentioned are spoken for (Sorry guys have not shipped them yet- you know who you are)

I also have an OS-46FX that runs awesome, (Keepin' the Tower muffler though) but the rear needle valve is broken--- Does not effect performance- I will try to JB weld it back on for the future owner---

Can anybody put me in touch with a deserving individual for this?

Bubba- Thanks for starting this thread, It is something that can grow beyond you and I---

Happy Holidays folks!
james
Old 11-19-2004, 09:37 PM

Would it work to have request and ads what you have on the forum and all transactions on PM or Email, That way it would keep it some what Private!
Old 11-19-2004, 10:27 PM

Razor,

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]The thanks most definitely goes to you. [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

You started it back a week or so ago with the free engine thing you did. I just took it one step further
Old 11-19-2004, 10:46 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I put in a request to have this post pinned to the top of the forum.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:46 PM

S! All

I say keep it up front and open to the public to view. Yep- you'll get a few trolls and scam-man who find their way here due to the "free for newbee" link..we should change that and post this thread in a "most deservering that reads our forums threads"..BUT..
the new guy to RC aircraft will also be likely.. new to searching for Rc info..like I was and am!

Force alittle conversation before give-aways..you'll probably rule-out most of the non-needy or atleast feel better about who you give up your 'babies" too. Do we give to the food bank cuz we are SURE we are feed the starving? I know- the internet is different but the idea of starting off new fellas into this hobby is worth the risk. I never thought I'd be here but I am..and I will never forget those that share the info that they have already gathered...

To me it is different than anything else I've 'searched' for... hard to explain... I've build Ak47s off the internet..earned my paycheck and moved forward from things I've learned from the internet.. I guess this is something I've dreamed of doing but never though I'd find time or find those who would share and inspire me to learn. Special thanks-http://www.krcs748.com/ and flyers for their special attention to new guys.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:56 PM

Thanks Minn

Luckeyned has a great point and has some very valid ways to help weed out the "bad guys"

Lucky...you comin over to the LHS tomorrow (SAT) I'll be there with the Funtana 90 and also the P-40 you gave me (Yep it's finished, actually I just got done with it a few minutes ago. It was great weather today. I flew all day long and got 6 flights on the Funtana, 4 on the Ultimate and 2 on the SSE, I couldn't take it anymore so I took the day off because I was going through withdrawl [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] not being able to fly for the last couple of weeks ) Dang near burned a gallon of fuel

Even though I do not need to help, Lucky gats my vote of thanks for what he gave me (and I haven't even started instructing him yet)
Old 11-20-2004, 08:20 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I can understand the problem with worrying about someone taking advantage of someones generosity. It happened a few years ago on a boating forum. A kid was asking for whatever he could get his hands on that no one else wanted. People were shipping stuff to him free. A few weeks later, the very same things were found for sale on eBay.
I'm all for the Pay It Forward thing and have done it before the movie came out. I am giving away an outrigger hydro today and have given away other boats that I no longer have used to children.
One bad example hasn't deterred me. I'm the same way at a race. If you need something, my toolbox is open.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:55 AM
My Feedback: (50)

OK- What does everyone have? And remember it does not have to be large items, sometimes just a couple of props or a servo make a difference---

Some folks make copies of plans or instruction manuals, copies of videos etc. Let's see the generosity of all y'all [8D]

Have a great weekend!
James
Old 11-20-2004, 02:56 PM
My Feedback: (13)

I have a Magnum XL 61AII RNV ( .61 2 stroke with rear needle valve) not fully broken in that I'm not using and see no use for in the future that I would be willing to donate. PM me or email.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

OK- What does everyone have? And remember it does not have to be large items, sometimes just a couple of props or a servo make a difference---

Some folks make copies of plans or instruction manuals, copies of videos etc. Let's see the generosity of all y'all [8D]

Have a great weekend!
James

Razor,

I never thought of prop and manuals as I have quite a few of each. Most manuals can be downloaded for free from the respective manufacters web site, but SIG and Carl Goldberg come to mind.

Off the top of my head, I have an electronic (PDF file) for the Carl Goldberg Ultimate ARF, A SIG Four Star 40 paper manual, and a SIG Somethin Extra ARF

As far as props I will go take inventory later tonight and then list them in this same post.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:36 PM

OK Bubba I will step up to the plate. I want you to be sure of the person who gets this one. I have a NIB Aristocraft Challenger 550 PCM radio. Complete, manuals included servo's and all hardware. Only opened the box for inspection. It IS GOLD STICKERED! I would just like to throw that in. I will never use it. It is something a cash strapped person could use. So PM me and I will send it along to someone who would really use it. Anything else I would need to really look in my boxes of stuff. It would take hours. So lets start with this. Pay it forward.

Mark Shuman

PS: PM me here, otherwise I may miss it (Ihardly ever remember to check my E-Mail)
Old 11-20-2004, 05:44 PM

Ahhh the donations have begun... For my part I'm donating my trainer and my time to my father, gonna teach him this spring... Also going to teach one of his highschool tstudents to fly... So does any one have a TT .46 for donation? Thanks, Cody
Old 11-20-2004, 08:43 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, the powers that be gave the green light, so I pinned this to the top.

I think rather than list what we have, it might be better to let people list what they need.

By listing what someone has, people who are less than "In Need" may go ahead and take it if no one else lays claim to it. whereas, if someone says they are in need of something, it just might jog our memories (Oh yea, I have one of those, It's in that box I never look in)

Know whut I mean Vern?
Old 11-20-2004, 09:53 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Ok, the powers that be gave the green light, so I pinned this to the top.

I think rather than list what we have, it might be better to let people list what they need.

By listing what someone has, people who are less than "In Need" may go ahead and take it if no one else lays claim to it. whereas, if someone says they are in need of something, it just might jog our memories (Oh yea, I have one of those, It's in that box I never look in)

Know whut I mean Vern?

I like the list idea and thank the powers that be for all of us.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:51 AM

Okay, here are my current needs that I cannot afford at this time:

1. Attitude adjustment for my wife. She needs to understand this is more than a hobby, less than a drug addiction. It is addictive, but I do not need therapy!
2. More time for flying, building, hanging out at the hobby shop, etc.
3. My boys to get a little older so I can get them on the buddy box.

Just thought I would throw a little humor in here And I know what some of you are thinking, there is very little humor to this

Seriously, I applaud you guys for your generousity. I have only been in the hobby for a little over a year now, but have gotten immense satisfaction out of it. I would not be where I am now without everyone's help. From the questions answered to advice freely given.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:36 PM

1. Attitude adjustment for my wife. She needs to understand this is more than a hobby, less than a drug addiction. It is addictive, but I do not need therapy!
I am wondering about the therapy thing myself. Although my girlfriend works weird hours, she understands the need to get out and do some stress management and that's what my flying does for me. Try putting it that way to her. As far as therapy goes, I flat out refuse to get any for this addiction as it is WAY TOO MUCH FUN.

2. More time for flying, building, hanging out at the hobby shop, etc
Work sucks as it cuts into my flying and hanging out at the LHS way too much. Just don't do what I did and get a part-time job at the LHS, WAY too much temptation.

I have been into this for just under a year and I felt that this thread was something to get going as I saw it as a way to give back what I got. It actually started with Razor-RCU and his free engine thread and he deserves a ton of thanks for giving me the idea for this.

Well, time to get back to the hobby, err addiction or whatever you wish to call it.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:11 PM

Hi guys,

Just found this thread.. what a wonderful idea! I've been an R/c Addict since I was a little kid. For me it's been 99% spectating so far though, simply because I/my parents couldnt afford to drop $300+ on getting me started. I stuck with Rockets and my radio shack r/c cars. Now that I'm married and "on my own," I've been able to allocate some funds for my hobbies.. but I'm by no means rich Anyway, year before last my grandmother gave me some birthday money, and I went ahead and bought my dream trainer (TT Trainer 40). Over the next year I was able to get an engine and radio by selling some stuff and saving what I could.. then the unthinkable happend... I crashed.. well. I knew it would happen (it's inevitable) but in my case, could have easily been avoided (didnt charge Tx).. wont make that mistake again. Anyway.. I still have the radio and engine (see my post below), but I could really use a trainer to put it in... I dont care how ugly it is, as long as it flies. Or even an unbuilt one I could start working on... I hope this isnt a selfish request, but I really dont see myself purchasing a new plane for quite a while (just cant sacrifice the funds right now).. hmm... diapers or plane... lol. Oh the other thing I could use is a glow igniter... I had a dynamite one but it was lost at the field... still have the charger. If anyone is feeling generous.. e-mail me at [email protected] or reply here. I really appreciate it, this is a great idea.. and I hope I will be able to do the same for someone and "pay it forward" someday.

Thanks,

Reuben
Old 11-22-2004, 09:26 PM

this is a great idea .... Minnflyer thanks for getting added to the top..... OK Guys lets hear it... I have gone through my stuff and I am ready to help someone get started in this great hobby!
Old 11-23-2004, 02:24 AM

Default RE: Pay it forward (Was freebie and free engine)

Well I have a bunch of things that I wouldn't mind parting with to the right person. I'd much rather give it to someone that is trying to get into the hobby than someone who just wants to add to his/her collection. The problem is the distance. I am in Taipei, Taiwan. Anyone want's some free stuff, I'm all for "paying it forward". If there's someone here, I'm willing to part with a whole gamut of things (of course NOT to the same person!) pm me here on rcuniverse.

BUT... "paying it forward"wasn't about giving things away that you don't want... it was about giving away things that you DO want... but I'm sure we can let that technicality go :-)
Old 11-23-2004, 06:19 PM

Default RE: Pay it forward (Was freebie and free engine)

I think this is a great idea. I know when I started flying, my instructor taught me for free, gave me a few bits here and there as I needed them... I really appreciated it. Then again I've been broke ever since he got me hooked on all this r/c stuf... Really though, I have a few items that I'll probably never use. I'll gather it all up and see what's there.

One thing I could use is a trainer cord that'll link a Hitec transmitter to a Futaba transmitter. I'd like to teach my nephew to fly, and would feel more confident with a buddy box. Even if noone has one to donate, could someone point me in the right direction as to where I can buy one cheap? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.