RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   JU-52 transport plans and construction article (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/440044-ju-52-transport-plans-construction-article.html)

dinosaur454 12-26-2002 10:13 AM

JU-52 transport plans and construction article

Just downloaded and zipped plans and article for the JU-52-3m transport. Anyone want copies let me know :p [email protected]

Hemikiller 12-26-2002 12:52 PM

I'd like a copy please...

[email protected]

greyfly 12-26-2002 02:35 PM

Ju 52

What size is the model and what power is required?

dinosaur454 12-26-2002 08:21 PM

Sorry people, but I have to retract my offer on these plans. Gyronut gave me a heads up on copyright infringement. I was just so excited about sharing my good fortune that I didn't take into account the legalities of it. I will be contacting the mags in question and asking permission to continue, but if they say no, then so be it. Much as I'd love to share it's not worth getting my a** in trouble. I apologise to you all.

DocYates 12-26-2002 08:28 PM

RCM version

If this is the version from about 1972-74, then it is around 90" ws. The original plane was flown with two small .070 (or something similar) on the wing and a K&B .61 in the nose. THe plans were very good with a built up center section and two outboard foam pieces. The outboards are hard to cut due to the large taper, but McClain Wing Cores has them for about $30. I know about this plane becasue it has been sitting here to be built for almost three years. I have finally gotten around to cutting out all of the parts and getting everything ready. I plan on putting two OS 52 in the wing and a .70 in the nose. I am going to use my computer radio (helicopter mode) to control the two outboards seperately. With flaps and fixed gear it will be a great flying and unique airplane. I tried contacting the orgianl designer but did not have much luck a few years ago. I have the orignal article at home in my archives, if you have problems locating it.
Tommy

Uncle Heinkel 12-27-2002 03:35 AM

I bought Graupner's small electric Ju-52 and enlarged the plans and traced around the wooden parts so I could enlarge them as well. Not a problem if you like to build from plans. I beefed it up for glow engines.

It's not exact scale(flat bottom airfoil) but it can be made to look very close.

Almost done, just applying the corrugation. +- 1/9th scale, 120" span, 3 piece wing, aiming for 30 lb and 3 Saito 91's.

There are a couple of all fiberglass kits on the market if you have $3000 to spare!

Built a 1/14th version 3 years earlier from Graupner plans...flies great!

Excellent subject for a project....

H.

DocYates 12-27-2002 01:43 PM

Favorite Transport

It has been a favorite of mine since I saw the CLint Eastwood movie "Where Eagles Dare" as a kid.

How are you doing your corrugations? I thought of stripping small balsa triangle and individually glueing each one on, just will take an increadible amount of time.
Tommy

Uncle Heinkel 12-27-2002 07:12 PM

Hi Tommy,
I first saw the Ju-52 in "Where Eagles Dare" too. I've loved it ever since.

I'm considering using that paint scheme but am leaning towards the more common green camo colors. The corrugations are going to make masking a difficult job.

I'm using plastic strips glued end to end with thin CA for the corrugations. I considered wood strips because they are longer but worried that they would dent easily. Yes, it's very time consuming but the results will be worth the effort. All that's left is a small wing section and the control surfaces and then it's ready for primer and paint.

The door will open in flight, drop paratroopers, and then close again.

"The Dirty Dozen..The next Mission" is an awful movie but it features a Ju-52 near the end....some pretty good footage....rent the movie and fast forward to the end. You won't miss much!

BTW, if you like the Ju-52, here's the official website for it:

www.junkers52.de

H.

DocYates 12-27-2002 07:29 PM

Ju-52 3M

I thought about using the small white plastic L-beams (^), which would make a much better looking plane, but they are expensive and finding them in bulk is the only solution. WHere did you find yours?
Tommy

Uncle Heinkel 12-27-2002 08:20 PM

Tommy, I'm using half round strips...not exactly scale but it looks good. The strips that you mentioned looked a little too pointed to me and would've left open ends that need filling so I went with the half round. I think scale is somewhere between the two and this is not an exact scale project.

My local hobby shop orders them for me, Plastruct is what I'm using.

Even with the excellent deal they give me, I've still spent a lot of money on them, enough to buy a big kit or an engine.....my hobby shop and their distributor think I'm certifiable but this is a labor of love and love is blind........

Do you know what the finished weight of your kit is supposed to be? I'm still not sure of my engine choice and am wondering if Saito 91's and a 30 lb plane are in line with your engines/finished weight.

H.

DocYates 12-30-2002 01:32 PM

Weight

I don't think you would be looking at 30# with this plane. The original was somewhere around 15#, but I don't see how. I am changing the design of the center of the wing a little bit and going with 6 servos in the wing rather than bellcranks. It will make setting it up a little easier. Right now all I have is the parts assembled. Essentially I made myself a kit. I still need to cutt a few more formers for the fuse, but planned on starting with the wing in the first place.
Will dig out the original article sometime soon and see if I can get you a copy if you want.
Tommy

Uncle Heinkel 12-30-2002 07:22 PM

Thanks, Tommy...Think I got you confused.....This isn't the same one you're building.....mine is about 1/10th scale and has a 10 foot span.

Right now it's at about 20 lb without paint and engines and gear. I'm allowing about 10 lb. for all that stuff. I think I'll be safe with 91's but just trying to cover all bases.

I'd love a copy of the article! Thanks!

H.