Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
 Homemade Hot Wire Foam Cutter for $30-40! >

Homemade Hot Wire Foam Cutter for $30-40!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Homemade Hot Wire Foam Cutter for $30-40!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 11:35 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade Hot Wire Foam Cutter for $30-40!

I'm preparing to put one of my first fiberglass kits into production and wanted to try making the plug out of fiberglassed foam. I researched home built hotwire foam cutters on RCU but didn't find anything to my liking so I went www surfing and found [link=http://www.instructables.com/id/EK8Q92824BEP286S6S/?ALLSTEPS]THIS[/link]. Pretty much followed the directions except I added a 120V red LED as a power indicator and made the "wand" out of PVC (figures 1-4). Works excellent and the dimmer switch regulates the temperature of the hotwire. Check out the test cut (figure 5).

Mods
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55073.jpg
Views:	1464
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	556197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68562.jpg
Views:	2155
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	556198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69179.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	556199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77797.jpg
Views:	1361
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	556200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs95035.jpg
Views:	1104
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	556201  
Old 11-07-2006, 11:53 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Homemade Hot Wire Foam Cutter for $30-40!

I have some at the supplies at home. The radio shack 24 volt, 2amp transformer and the light dimmer switch. I am putting a fuse between the main line and the power supply for safety. Where did you get the plastic box? I purchased a similar size one, except metal. The pvc tubing should work for a bow. Someone was and has suceeded to sell $5.00 worth of electrical pvc conduit as a $30.00 cutting bow. Just can't believe it. The versions I have of sw are too old and don't have the sketch picture function in the tool bar, so I am sketching up the profiles in autocad and importing these. In fact there is a conflict with the video drivers on my new pc to sw 2001. If I create a series of profiles in a sketch; go to the loft tool bar, the profiles "disappear" on the screen.

I your threads very informative.
ORIGINAL: Mods-R-Me

I'm preparing to put one of my first fiberglass kits into production and wanted to try making the plug out of fiberglassed foam. I researched home built hotwire foam cutters on RCU but didn't find anything to my liking so I went www surfing and found [link=http://www.instructables.com/id/EK8Q92824BEP286S6S/?ALLSTEPS]THIS[/link]. Pretty much followed the directions except I added a 120V red LED as a power indicator and made the "wand" out of PVC (figures 1-4). Works excellent and the dimmer switch regulates the temperature of the hotwire. Check out the test cut (figure 5).

Mods
Old 11-07-2006, 11:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Jim_Purcha

I have some at the supplies at home. The radio shack 24 volt, 2amp transformer and the light dimmer switch. Where did you get the plastic box? I purchased a similar size one, except metal. The pvc tubing should work for a bow. Someone was and has suceeded to sell $5.00 worth of electrical plastic tubing as a $30.00 cutting bow. Just can't believe it. The versions I have of sw are too old and don't have the sketch picture function in the tool bar, so I am sketching up the profiles in autocad and importing these. In fact there is a conflict with the video drivers on my new pc to sw 2001. If I create a series of profiles in a sketch; go to the loft tool bar, the profiles "disappear" on the screen.

A fuse! I know I forgot something [:@].

I bought project box from radio shack for $8.50. Sorry about SW, but design anyway you can!

Mods
Old 11-08-2006, 07:04 AM

For those interested in foam cutting, here's another link that shows how to build a cutter for about $30 and there's a good video within the how-to column. I know the author and can attest to his expertise in foam cutting, vacuum bagging, etc.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462759
Old 11-08-2006, 10:07 AM

Cool beans! Now I know what my next project is!

Brad
Old 11-08-2006, 04:09 PM

Here was another good link:

http://www.nsrca.org/technical/tip_t...wer_supply.htm

The project box is no longer available from Radio Shack as of this spring. This is design I was planning to build for foam wire cutting. The use of the dimmer switch, removes the need for the circuit board, potentiometers etc.

I have some at the supplies at home. The radio shack 24 volt, 2amp transformer and the light dimmer switch. Where did you get the plastic box? I purchased a similar size one, except metal. The pvc tubing should work for a bow. Someone was and has suceeded to sell $5.00 worth of electrical plastic tubing as a $30.00 cutting bow. Just can't believe it. The versions I have of sw are too old and don't have the sketch picture function in the tool bar, so I am sketching up the profiles in autocad and importing these. In fact there is a conflict with the video drivers on my new pc to sw 2001. If I create a series of profiles in a sketch; go to the loft tool bar, the profiles "disappear" on the screen.

I bought project box from radio shack for $8.50. Sorry about SW, but design anyway you can!

Mods
Old 11-08-2006, 05:41 PM

Here was another good link:

http://www.nsrca.org/technical/tip_t...wer_supply.htm

The project box is nolonger available from Radio Shack as of this spring.

Mods
LOL! That was one of the sites that I used as a circuit refence. The project box is not availible? I bought mine last night. Just go down to radio shack or call. They have them at one of the stores in your area.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:28 PM

You're using the abs project box , not the all metal box p/n#270-253, which was discontinued. What part number did you purchase?
Old 11-08-2006, 07:45 PM

You're using the abs project box , not the all metal box p/n#270-253, which was discontinued. What part number did you purchase?
True, this is the ABS one. Here's the link: [link=http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062284&cp]Project Box #270-1807[/link]
Old 11-08-2006, 08:06 PM

Sure it's not the [link=http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062285&cp=2032058.2032230.203 2276&allCount=9&fbn=Price%2F%246.00+-+%249.99&fbc=1&fr=StorePrice%2FRSK%2F00000600%2F00 000999&parentPage=family]270-1809[/link]

Radio Shacks no longer exist in Canada, most got bought out by "The Source". It still carries some of the radio shack stock. Not like the old days in Radio Shack.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:25 PM

Either one will work, but I have the 1807
Old 11-08-2006, 10:18 PM

The photo on the radio shack must be wrong, it looks to narrow to be the yours. What are you using for wire. Nichrome? Doen't the ABS box get hot? The original 270-253 project box had vents for hot air.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:50 AM

The photo on the radio shack must be wrong, it looks to narrow to be the yours. What are you using for wire. Nichrome? Doen't the ABS box get hot? The original 270-253 project box had vents for hot air.
I thought that too. I used regular 18 guage stainless steel wire. The box doesn't get hot but the transformer does get a little warm. I was thinking about adding a 12V CPU fan on the output side of the circuit and drilling holes on each side of the box for cooling. I should start building the plug this week and will know more when I start using the cutter for longer periods.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:24 AM

I had a spare guitar string in my case, so I measured the resistance. A 42 inch wire only had 2.5 ohms resistance. By my calculations, that means you could easily overrun the current rating of the 24v 2a transformer. Has anyone measured the actual current necessary to heat a steel guitar string to the right temperature? I'm thinking a lower voltage, higher current transformer would give better dynamic control of the wire heating.

Brad
Old 11-09-2006, 07:40 AM

I even thought of purchasing this wire for foam cutting: [link=http://www.skykingrcproducts.com/accessories/foamcutterwire/renewire.html]Rene Foam Cutting wire[/link]
I'll try this after nichrome wire.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:50 AM

I even thought of purchasing this wire for foam cutting: [link=http://www.skykingrcproducts.com/accessories/foamcutterwire/renewire.html]Rene Foam Cutting wire[/link]
I'll try this after nichrome wire.
I just bought some. Let you know how it turns out.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:51 AM

I am now (and have been for years and years) using single strand stainless steel fishing leader. No problem. I am also using the power supply I built from the plans mentioned above. It is the latest in a long string of power supply/transformer setups I have lashed together and it works the best so far. Get the parts from Mouser or AllElectronics, forget Radio Shack. It has become the home of toys and telephones instead of an electronic hobbyists store.

Tom
Old 11-09-2006, 11:41 PM
c/f

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nichrome wire is a comon staple in supply houses that cater to heating and air conditioning industriey. It is used in most all commercial ice making machines and needs repair from time to time.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:51 PM

Picked up a 270-1807 case today. Very inexpensive, only $5.99. All the other components I have at home. Still debating between getting a triac and making the pcb or just using the dimmer switch. Dimmer switch would probably make it quicker to fabricate. How's your cutting samples using rene wire coming along? Are you happy with your power supply? I'll probably work on mine next weekend when I'm at home.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:21 PM

Picked up a 270-1807 case today. Very inexpensive, only $5.99. All the other components I have at home. Still debating between getting a triac and making the pcb or just using the dimmer switch. Dimmer switch would probably make it quicker to fabricate. How's your cutting samples using rene wire coming along? Are you happy with your power supply? I'll probably work on mine next weekend when I'm at home.

I started foam cutting my plug yesterday and it is coming out pretty well. One distinct difference between the rene wire vs the stainless is the rene does't not take as much power to cut the foam (the resistance is lower?), but it is more elastic than the stainless. I'm very happy with the power supply. I barely have the switch half way and it cuts through the foam easily.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43996.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	563133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33828.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	563134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37381.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	563135  
Old 12-17-2006, 09:13 AM
My Feedback: (58)

anyone have a part number at Radioshack for a fuse they would recomend ? Im heading there this morning and have no clue :&gt
Old 12-17-2006, 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: btomlinson

anyone have a part number at Radioshack for a fuse they would recomend ? Im heading there this morning and have no clue :&gt
Try these [link=http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=1a%20fuse&origkw=1A%20fuse]radioshack 1A fuses[/link]

and a [link=http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102786&cp=&origkw=fuse+holder &kw=fuse+holder&parentPage=search]Fuse Holder[/link]

Mods

Old 12-18-2006, 10:06 AM
My Feedback: (58)

I have a few questions :

I'm going to install a cooling fan... I assume I need a 24v fan and install it on the 24V output side of the transformer ?

I was thinking about some sort of panel meter or light to show the power setting.. Would I need something that shows in amps, watts or volts ? and what range ?
Old 01-05-2007, 07:49 AM

The original design had a 1 amp fuse installed. The transformer is 2 amps. So your panel meter shouldn't be more than 2.0 amps. You could put another light between the transfomer and the cutting wire after the dimmer switch.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Newc

For those interested in foam cutting, here's another link that shows how to build a cutter for about $30 and there's a good video within the how-to column. I know the author and can attest to his expertise in foam cutting, vacuum bagging, etc.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462759
That's a very good article, but it punts on how to make a power supply, which is the main cost of a simple foam cutter.

Here's a useful article from RCU:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558772

some highlights:

1. new train model transformers aren't the way to go; some old ones are okay

2. A good way to go is a 12V or 24V transformer from All Electronics.com on a dimmer. 12 volts is probably sufficient for up to a couple of feet. 24 is preferred for big stuff. (You need the same amps either way, but more volts for longer wires. You can finesse this a bit by using very thin wire, but people seem to prefer 16- or 18-gauge stainless steel. It's strong enough to crank pretty taut for striaght cuts.)

3. a lot of people prefer stainless steel to nichrome for hot wire cutters. You can get a roll of 16- or 18-gauge stainless wire from Cabela's for about $9. (And you get hundreds of feet of it! Give some away.)

4. regular guitar strings are pretty low resistance, so you'll need more amps from your power supply if you use them. You can get stainless guitar strings, but you can't beat the cost of the wire from Cabela's.

5. You can gang two RadioShack transformers (or other transformers) of the same make and model together to get twice the amps. (That's what I did, when I decided I wanted 4 amp capability to cut dense and/or strange foams.) But usually it's easier to buy one higher-amp transformer from allelectronics, and costs about the same.

Paul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.