Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
 Kershaw Designs Grenadier III 4WD 1/5th Scale Brushless Buggy >

Kershaw Designs Grenadier III 4WD 1/5th Scale Brushless Buggy

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Kershaw Designs Grenadier III 4WD 1/5th Scale Brushless Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kershaw Designs Grenadier III 4WD 1/5th Scale Brushless Buggy

Kershaw Designs Grenadier III 4WD 1/5th Scale
Brushless Buggy

New from Kershaw Designs:

This third generation of our most popular large scale buggy brings all the latest innovations throughout the RC industry to the RC enthusiast. Boasting such innovations as Savage 3 speed automatic transmission, dual 700-HO motors or brushless power, 4WD, this car can back up its looks with performance. Just check out the specs below. Large scale gas owners...Beware!

Features:
[ul][*] Power from your self-installed motor/ESC, the ever popular 700-HO brushed motors, Fiegao brushless motors or Castle Creations motor/ESC combos. [*] Choice of 4 transmissions from center slipper gear to Savage 3-speed automatic w/ reverse installed. [*] Chassis made from 100% natural 6061 heat treated aluminum. [*] Adjustable weight distribution by moving batteries in increments of 12mm. [*] Remove front differential, CVDs drive shaft. Move batteries to the rear most position for 2WD high speed and donuts. [*] XTM aluminum 1/8 scale shocks for the front. Integy MSR8 heavy duty rear shocks.[*] Proline LPR Bow Tie tires in the front. 40 Series Bow Tie tires in the rear. Black wheels. [*] 19.8 inch wheelbase. 18 inches wide. 29.5 inches overall length. [*] Top speed of 40-60+ mph depending on choice of drivetrain [*] Other possible options include Traxxas or HPI 3-channel radio system installed ($60), and high torque servo 203 oz/in torque ($20). Contact Kershaw Designs with questions or Kershaw Designs will contact you after deposit is made to discuss possible options. [*] Full parts support and free e-mail consulting with engineer. Includes parts list
[/ul]

$899
Link to... [link=http://204.186.93.64/Grenadier.htm]Kershaw Designs - Grenadier III[/link]

Dan Fischer
[email protected]
KershawDesigns.com
Old 09-18-2009, 06:40 PM

Default RE: Kershaw Designs Grenadier III 4WD 1/5th Scale Brushless Buggy

I can't really tell, is there a means to support the motor on the rear end bell?
Old 09-18-2009, 06:49 PM

No there isn't. But I have yet to see a design on a car/truck/buggy that does. Am I missing something
Old 09-18-2009, 07:52 PM

The Feigao press fit can is / are known to separate from the end bells due to G-Forces... RC Monster makes a brace for them.

The NEUs are normally OK. The bigger / heavier the buggy, the more the G-Forces due to the harder hits.

Its a lesson learned form the electric 1/8 scale game.

The buggy looks interesting, Im just offering advice if the Feigao motor is chosen.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:58 PM
My Feedback: (1)

i havn't either i made a mount outta 20 gauge steel for a 540 and it has zero flex it is braced but honestly i don't think that should be a worry i just wish they laid the motor down... it wouldn't looked much better...

the lug
Old 09-18-2009, 08:05 PM

RC-Monster Brushless Heatsink/clamp:

Available exclusively at RC-Monster, this heatsink was designed with the brushless user in mind. It wraps perfectly around the motor can for the most effective heat dissipation, and also functions as a clamp to keep Feigao, Hacker and similar pressed endbell type motors intact. "S", "L", and "XL" sizes available for 50mm, 60mm, and 74mm motors. This heatsink will fit any 540 size motor (36mm diameter can), brushed or brushless, and is a great heatsink that will not fall off your motor (rear clamp not necessary for all motors).

"S" fits 50mm can length

"L" fits 60mm can length

"XL" fits 74mm can length

http://rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=RCM01

We sold ours when we upgraded away from the F/go motor.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:08 PM

Yes, very familar with the RC-Monster clamp for Fiegao motors. However, the motor pictured is aactually a Kershaw Designs house brand motor that looks very much like a Fiegao motor. I purposely speced the motor with an endbell that is held in place with screws for that very reason.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: milemarkers

Yes, very familar with the RC-Monster clamp for Fiegao motors. However, the motor pictured is aactually a Kershaw Designs house brand motor that looks very much like a Fiegao motor. I purposely speced the motor with an endbell that is held in place with screws for that very reason.
Cool choice. I was going on the info from above:

"Power from your self-installed motor/ESC, the ever popular 700-HO brushed motors, Fiegao brushless motors or Castle Creations motor/ESC combos"
Old 09-18-2009, 08:44 PM

Okay. Now I see. I should clarify then. There is a little know 580L Fiegao motor that this chassis really is meant for and the motor I was thinking of when I mentioned Fiegao in the description. Favorite motor of mine only because few know about it and it beats up on so many other brushless motors.
It is 45mm in diameter (as opposed to the ordinary 35.8mm for Fiegao). A real powerhouse!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:46 PM

Old 09-18-2009, 08:55 PM

There you go, big difference. After part way thru our first season (two years ago), we broke open the purple 540 XL in our first electric 1/8 buggy. The heat sink / brace helped us finish the season.

Note, the picture above shows the purple one. For marketing reasons, folks who race electric 1/8 buggies may recognize it, or at least wonder about it. I think the 1/5 scale brushless buggy will be exciting, it might be wise to be obvious about a screwed on end bell motor choice in the picture?
Old 09-18-2009, 09:03 PM

Ah, yes. Good point. I'd have to think that if someone is going to splurge on such a creation, they'd probably go for the top end motor too. Should have that motor pictured. I'll be getting out the camera again.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:15 PM

Question. For folks who may have an extra 1/8 buggy to use for doner parts, maybe you could offer a chassis kit and folks could use their own front and rear suspensions while you supply the chassis, center diff, mounts, and drive shafts?
Old 09-18-2009, 09:31 PM
My Feedback: (32)

Very nice, I have the dual 970 kit for the e-maxx, and the work Dan does is great.  What kind of steering servo are you using on the 1/5th?
Old 09-18-2009, 09:37 PM

Just an ordiniary high-torque after market servo. I believe it is rated for 203 oz/in. The buggy is not significantly heavier than a monster truck, so there's not that much weight to have the tires dig in. The servo does not need to work any harder to swing the tires than it would with offset wheels on a monster truck.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:40 PM

Absolutely. I should tell you that each buggy is built one by one and by hand. Doing so makes it easy to make any alterations or even customize the buggy to however a customer might want it designed and built.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:40 PM

Are the hubs standardized (hex) with normal monster truck wheel types?

(I don't know much about wheel specifics, but it seems using monster truck tires might be an option if one has them)
Old 09-18-2009, 10:07 PM

ORIGINAL: HandyRacing

Are the hubs standardized (hex) with normal monster truck wheel types?

(I don't know much about wheel specifics, but it seems using monster truck tires might be an option if one has them)
Yes, they are. The buggy can be built up with any hub size available on the market, any wheels and any tires. Although wheels or hubs with at least 1/2" offset make for a width that is properly proportioned.