Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

White Siliconized Elastomeric RV Roof Coating

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

White Siliconized Elastomeric RV Roof Coating

Old 06-19-2013, 06:46 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Siliconized Elastomeric RV Roof Coating

Has anyone used the White Siliconized Elastomeric RV Roof Coating on the roof of their RC Plane Trailer, I understand that it seals the roof and repeals the heat a little bit, is this stuff worth the trouble?
Old 06-26-2013, 07:58 AM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: White Siliconized Elastomeric RV Roof Coating

As a the owner of a travel trailer I do have a little experience with the stuff; I can't see why it wouldn't work to for a plane trailer roof, but I also can't see why it would be necessary. If the roof is too dark and absorbs too much heat, I suggest you paint it. If the roof is leaking, I suggest Eternabond tape.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 AM
dasintex

Right now the trailer roof has either bare galvanized or bare aluminum with that self leveling caulking on the joints; I thought of painting it as well but figured that siliconized stuff is flexable and would be more durable than paint, not to mention the chance of adherance problm with the paint, and considering the trailer is older, the extra waterproofing it would provide, wouldn't hurt.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:34 AM
bob62
My Feedback: (28)

You can take a gallon to your local paint store and get it tinted to what ever color you won't
Old 06-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used a product called Snow Seal {same stuff} on my old camper and it does lower the temps a bit. Not enough to write home about but it also gave my old camper a much longer life. I put it on the first time I discovered a leak and got many more years out of it. If it's an older trailer then it is well worth the cost and trouble. The camper was built in 1967 and always stored outside without any cover. It was still in use 7 years ago before I moved and gave up duck hunting and fishing. It was still hot in the summer and cold in the winter inside no mater what. It just didn't leak when it snowed or rained.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:22 PM
daytonarc
My Feedback: (5)

It will work fine for both lowering solar heat gain and sealing the roof. Make sure you thouroughly clean the roof and apply 2 coats to get a good thick flexible coating. A heavy duty airless sprayer is the best way to apply if you have access to one. The light duty homeowner sprayers will not work well because the material is very thick.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:41 PM
dasintex

I don't have a decent Airless sprayer, the area is not that big, I will just roll it on with 3/4" Nap roller like the can instructions have suggested, appreciate all the thread replies.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:37 AM
rvroofmagic

Instead of using ordinary coatings use RV Roof Magic. First it can be applied over any type of RV trailer or mobile home even if there is a 3rd party coating applied over the original roof. There is a built in mildewcide to deter mold from growing on the roof and it has a very high percent of volume solids a high tensile strength making it hold up in all types of temperature extremes. Comes with a 5 year warranty and is easily applied with a long nap roller.