Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Bought a Duratrax 835B Buggy

Old 07-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Zonked
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bought a Duratrax 835B Buggy

Good deal.

ordered a few parts from tower including 183347 which is lightweight center diff joint set for the Duratrax Raze. Will update and let you know if they fit but for 2.19 a set it may be worth a shot.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:32 PM
MastuhWaffles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, I just ordered some new duratrax x cons pre mounted on yellow wheels for the track, As for the tires I have on now, they are just bald, but hey they work even better as street tires now! I'm going to buy some brushes or something to clean the gunk off becuase it gets hot and smokes, not like it does anything but I should keep it clean.Also, customer support for duratrax has been awesome! They give feedback and help you out!
My friend took a video.
[youtube]Rz0Qx5hxXE4[/youtube]
Also, I think I'm going to do the carb restrictor removal mod and get some 25% fuel, I want to see how much power I can get out of this thing. I've been reading alot and hopefully I can get it up to 60mph.
So I pulled the air filter anddddddd, theres no carb restrictor. Well looks like all I can do is try 25%.
Also, are the electronics waterproof? I don't think they are.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:59 PM
MastuhWaffles

Damage report today at the track. A arm split in half, on off switch was being stupid, steering servo went nuts, exhaust fell apart I manged to snap the a arm back on and now it works fine, fixed the steering servo, put the exhaust system back together. The number 1 thing that is pissing me off is the screws, what are they made out of? Play Doh?! They strip so easy and it's really annoying, the a arm works so I dont know if I should take it off and send it in. A guy at the track gave me some good tires and I was able to get some okay runs in. But the engine does not have the low end acceleration, I cant get good jumps because I can't accelerate fast enough. It's bashed up bad but I'm going to run it later and fix all the broken stuff.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Zonked

Would imagine that arm will split again so might as well send it in. No issues with the screws so far but I use VP Pro tools also cant comment on the exhaust, what happen there ?

The ST.27 will never have the snap a good .21 does but you can run it hot as hell and it keeps on ticking lol. Have one in a MT that has saw 420 before

Oh good switch http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0&I=LXZTE2&P=K should have mentioned that before

Old 07-03-2013, 05:36 PM
MastuhWaffles

Well really what I should say is that the a arm split right at the part where it wraps around the bar, it was really hard to get back on so, hopefully it should be good, but I guess I'll send it in. The exhaust system pulled apart where the blue piece is, I just put everything back in and it's fine now, just bent up a bit. I have to get a grinder and grind the screws to a flathead. The engines not really that good as I found out. This is going to be a $500 dollar rc by the time I'm done with it, could have bought a better one for that price.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:47 PM
flatpickhippster

The 835B is a begiinner 1/8th Nitro buggy/basher under $400......the engine reflects that and IMO its a helluva bargain.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:18 AM
Zonked

ORIGINAL: flatpickhippster

The 835B is a begiinner 1/8th Nitro buggy/basher under $400......the engine reflects that and IMO its a helluva bargain.
+1

Can actually be purchased from Tower with discounts for around 250.00 bucks, there is no other RC car that gives you as much bang for the buck and still get top notch CS with a 1 year warranty on parts.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:17 AM
flatpickhippster

You can easily drop $1000+ in 1/8 Nitro Buggies and no one in their right mind would drop that much into a buggy to bash in the neighborhood and do speed runs in the streets.....thats what the 835B is aimed at for bargain price . Those high $$$ buggies are for expirienced racer who can take advantage of the fine tuning options in gearing/suspension. differtionals. IMO $300 buggies AND $1000 buggies will have the same plastic failures when bashe around......racers aint launching their $1000+ buggies thru the ditches and parking lot curbs....take advantage of the Stress Tech replacement program and learn all the tuning aspects, tires options, ....etc.

Plenty of time for the $400 steroid engine!!!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Zonked

Plenty of time for the $400 steroid engine!!!
They are nice and can rip the dirt up but they are also difficult to start,tune and maintain. Hopefully before the summer is out will upgrade mine with a decent .21 and tuned pipe. For now bashing around and racing sportman class this chassis will be just fine.

Hoping to pick up a 835E later for a HEAVY SC conversion

Old 07-04-2013, 11:47 PM
MastuhWaffles

I asked if I could just send the buggy in and get the a arm replaced and the steering servo arm is stripped and won't grab well so it just ends up getting stuck and will not turn.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:46 AM
Zonked

Is the servo horn stripped ?

Old 07-05-2013, 03:12 PM
MastuhWaffles

I'm not sure, when it turn the wheels get stuck and it won't turn back.
I emailed them and they said to send it in to get it fixed.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:43 AM
flatpickhippster

Take off the steering servo horn.

Now turn on TX/RX and test the steering servo.....turn all the way to the right and left.
Can you see servo shaft turning? Release steering....does servo shaft return to neutral?
If it does not return to neural, then bad servo!!
If shaft is turning all way right/left and returning to neutral....the check linkage for binding
and check that servo horn is not stripped...i.e. the lil teeth are worn down and not gripping servo shaft.

My steering servo crapped out after within a month of purchase with same issues ur having and its a common problem.
I replaced with a good quality steering servo and no problems.
Duratrax may send ya new one. Call'em on it.

Cheaper and quicker than sending it back.

Good Luck

Old 07-06-2013, 02:23 PM
MastuhWaffles

They told me to just send the buggy In and they will fix all the stuff on it.
Which is good because I'm gonna be gone for 2 weeks.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:41 PM
flatpickhippster

they will fix all the stuff on it.
Sweet....IME for best results include a 5x7 card outlining all repairs you expect to be addressed
Throw some pics in the cloud and a link on card. It had a air filter when I sent it....here's a pic!!

Be sure and hit ur engine/carb up with "After Run Oil" before shipping. Drain all fuel...

Good Luck!!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:30 PM
JohnP2

Sweet....IME for best results include a 5x7 card outlining all repairs you expect to be addressed
Throw some pics in the cloud and a link on card. It had a air filter when I sent it....here's a pic!!

Be sure and hit ur engine/carb up with "After Run Oil" before shipping. Drain all fuel...

Good Luck!!
I think it's good to document the current snapshjot of your setups. I got tired of remembering the last time I changed bearings, which areas need to be addressed. changes/effects to stock setup, planned upgrades, etc. with my vehicles.I created my own 'service guide', that details everything for each vehicle. This is not to replace a setup sheet, but instead to ensure I keep my pules on everything. Attached are some screen shotsof it. Prettysimple....I'mengineering this into a web application(not for public use, just for my ownuse) but if anyone wants to use it let me know, I'mhappy to share.As noted, I tailored it for my own sanity, butimagine anyone can get use from it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77357.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1898499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78359.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1898500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr39751.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1898501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo38243.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1898502  
Old 07-08-2013, 07:32 AM
Zonked

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

Good Luck!!
I think it's good to document the current snapshjot of your setups. I got tired of remembering the last time I changed bearings, which areas need to be addressed. changes/effects to stock setup, planned upgrades, etc. with my vehicles.I created my own 'service guide', that details everything for each vehicle. This is not to replace a setup sheet, but instead to ensure I keep my pules on everything. Attached are some screen shotsof it. Prettysimple....I'mengineering this into a web application(not for public use, just for my ownuse) but if anyone wants to use it let me know, I'mhappy to share.As noted, I tailored it for my own sanity, butimagine anyone can get use from it.

That looks nice, especially handy if you have multiple cars to keep up with. i would like a copy of it once you get done.

Picked up another 835B from craigslist cheap. Has a Hyper .21 pullstart motor and it rips pretty good

Old 07-08-2013, 08:46 AM
flatpickhippster

Looks great JohnP2. [8D]
Old 07-08-2013, 07:34 PM
JohnP2

Thanks, guys. It really does help (me at least) else I start making mistakes. ;-)

I'm not that good with Excel....so as noted am going to createan applicationto host all of this. This way I can control what how I want the service guide to behave. Might seem like a lot of info to gather, but my I willadd a config tool to create dynamicviews for my app. As an example,if I wantfilter a page/report to show me all the "Needed to Run"needs for all my vehicleswith those that need a part andgive me the status of theordder. Or show me all the upgrades I have planned of a medium importance for my OFNA Hyper7.

I'm also going to add alerts so if you don't perform x maintenance on a specific vehicle everyy days notify it wll notify me. The initial table design was by car/tasks/values, but now will change it to user/car/tasks/values so that others can create their own service guide.

I won't charge for this, asI'm sure II can find an open source place where I can upload my code, etc.

If there is anything specific you guys would like to see in a "Service Guide" let me know and will look to add that feature.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2013, 08:33 PM
MastuhWaffles

Hopefull they will fix everything on it including the stripped screws. I just wrote a note in word so I'll throw that in there. After every run I always drain the fuel and use after run oil.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:46 PM
flatpickhippster

Just a FYI on 835B parts: The (suspension arms) that were back ordered since late April from Tower arrived today which I hope means replacement A-arms are now in stock via all outlets.

Really enjoying the Losi Street Tires on the streets!!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:05 PM
MastuhWaffles

Okay, I think it's the steering servo arm. The teeth on it are stripped I put it halfway onto the servo and turned the wheels and the servo knob didn't turn but the servo arm was. And I could feel the bumps when it slips, really that's all I need is just a new one of those and the screw that goes with it. And I can order an aluminum one here.http://www.amazon.com/Duratrax-Alumi...rvo+Arm+Single

Or I can get the replacement parts here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duratrax-DTX...item4d0e61ab07
'
I might just get the aluminum replacment arm and the screw is just a 3x8mm which I can get a hex one.
http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Button...ds=3x8mm+screw

Old 07-10-2013, 05:04 AM
Zonked

Just a FYI on 835B parts: The (suspension arms) that were back ordered since late April from Tower arrived today which I hope means replacement A-arms are now in stock via all outlets.

Really enjoying the Losi Street Tires on the streets!!
Raze arms fit if you ever get into a pinch.

@MastuhWaffles

I would get a Aluminum servo horn not sure about the Duratrax model you listed, personally dont care for those plastic inserts.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rion-Savox-ACE

http://www.racers-edge.com/product_p/rce10370bk.htm

Old 07-10-2013, 12:58 PM
MastuhWaffles

That's what the first link was, it was a aluminum cast of the stock servo horn.
You know what, I got my new tires today and I took the wheels off to put the new ones and what do you know, the wheel nut won't go back on. Somehow the threads got mashed on where the wheels go...
I'm just going to send it in and let them fix everything I thought I could just fix the steering and be fine, but might as well have them fix all of it. From the a arm, to the stripped screws, to the wheel hubs...

Old 07-14-2013, 02:15 PM
flatpickhippster

I rcvd some medium rated springs (Yellow used on 835E)) and while swapping them with OE springs I've discovered one of the front shocks has a leak. There was no shock oil in it. :-(

Lucky for me I ordered a shocks rebuild kit with the springs and will rebuild next week after Phish tour.

OUESTIONS:

1) Anyone rebuilt these shocks? Experience? ..etc.

2) For mostly bashing......which # of piston holes and oil weights would ya suggest with a stiffer spring?

Thanks for any input.

FPH

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.