Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

water pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 AM
d.k.v

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump

do anyone know of a small pump i can hook up to the water cooling to cool the motor while im driving slowly?

thanks
matthew
Old 12-17-2009, 08:04 AM
cheesewizz69

Default RE: water pump

ORIGINAL: d.k.v

do anyone know of a small pump i can hook up to the water cooling to cool the motor while im driving slowly?

thanks
matthew
Something like this? http://9x4br.64n2f.servertrust.com/P...uctCode=WP3000
Old 12-17-2009, 08:38 AM
d.k.v

thats the idea how do it work?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:31 AM
cheesewizz69

Let me try to pull up a picture I labled for you, if I find it I will edit this post to include it.

The pump works by tapping into either the carb's iso block or to the crankcase, it draws water from your water pickup pushes it to your cooling head at idle but when you get moving the flow of the water overides the pulse action and flows freely thru the entire system. I guess I should have asked you for information about your boat, pictures would also help.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:36 AM
d.k.v

its electric... but this is not 4 a boat... its for a car but since you guys use water cooling all the time i saw it best to ask here insted of the car fourms...
Old 12-17-2009, 10:05 AM
cheesewizz69

The pump in the link will not work for you. It uses the pulse from the internal cumbustion engine to produce the pumping effect.

What you could do is buy the smallest winshield washer pump from your local auto parts or salvage yard and plumb it to a small radiator. A bilge pump used in RC boat combat may also work for you. I have seen a few radiators sold on ebay from time to time for the Conley.

You could also make a small heat exchanger to work with that electric pump. Take some small diameter tubing and coil it in a sutable water tight container that would be air cooled, fill the container with water. Then plumb the coil with water in line with the pump and whatever part you are trying to cool. The container needs to be of a material that would allow the air to cool the water alowing the transfer of heat.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:36 AM
fatboy9999

D.K.V. you could use an automotive windshield washer pump which shoots a good volume of water. You can get them from any automotive wrecking yard or automotove parts store. Watch that you don't get one that goes in the washer fluid tank, you want one that mounts on the fender, separate from the tank. Of course these pumps will run on 12 volts, so depending on what voltage you are running your boat on, you may have to put a second battery in the boat to run the pump, or special order a 6 volt pump from an automotive parts supplier. You can also have you uptake tube mounted behind you propeller. The faster you go, the more water it will push up the tube. As long as your propeller is turn, it will push water up the tube.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:25 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Run a thin walled piece of Aluminum tubing around the underside or the inside of the car.
You can bend it WITHOUT kinking, if you pour fine sand or salt into ALL of the tube.
It will do the job of a radiator . The pump could be done with 2 tiny 1 way check valves. 1 before the engine.. cold incoming line & 1 in the hot ...outgoing line. Thermal expansion will cause the water to flow all around...........This is how a electric Coffee pot works.
If you make the tubing long enough, it will not screw up the front to rear weight balance. It must have all the fittings ends connected with small pieces of plastic tubing. They need to be made leake proof with a few, 3 or 4 wraps of a small copper strand of wire,, that is simply twisted to snug up the wire. NO CUTTING into the plastic. NOT needed.

Rich
Old 12-21-2009, 02:23 PM
cheesewizz69

Fatboy999 go back and read his post. I already suggested that but his needs are for cooling a car not a boat.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:27 PM
cyclops2

do a web search for ...... small check valve ...... found some 6 mm..... 5 for $ 30 on the first ones..Automation direct. think of your car as a moving coffee pot.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:35 PM
rc-oldguy

ok the washer pump from a car is 12 volts too much and too large for most electric cars and trucks and they cost about $20 + dollars or more
however have you ever seen those lil rock things they sell for relaxation? you fill it up with water and it makes a waterfall well ive seen them and bought them for short money like $5.00 inside they have a 3 volt water tight water pump!! they run from 2 aa batteries but you can run it off the receiver batt 6 volts and it pushes the water pretty well i have one in my nitro dumas 40 boat its very small light weight and electric andlow voltage you could wire a pack and switch in pretty easy to do. ill attach a pic for you im gonna hook another one up 2 my shockwave 55 gas boat as a bilge pump

you might have to modify the in/out ports but that simple stuff to do good luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60874.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1350998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95528.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1350999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11788.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1351000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le92527.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1351001  
Old 01-06-2010, 10:37 PM
d.k.v

awsome thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 09:32 AM
cyclops2

Could you post wgere to buy them ?

Thanks Rich
Old 01-07-2010, 09:44 AM
rc-oldguy

ok im in massachusetts so i got the water fall thing from ocean state job lot but im sure you can get the things from a dollar typ store or walmart or target all it need to do is have water flowing and it has a water pump in it you have to tear the thing apart to get to it but that takes like 5 minutes and for the 5-10 bucks for it its worth the effort
Old 07-09-2010, 11:05 PM
isuzudude

One other thing you might try is a smoke pump for an rc airplane. I'm about to build a very large scale cruiser and I'm going to use one of my old Sullivan Smoke pumps for a bilge. I'm just going to put it on a seprate channel so I can flip it on only when I need it. Since it's going to be slow and scale like, I thought about using another one for my cooling water... Turn it on and leave it... I'll let ya know how it works out!!!