RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   ABS plastic prep for paint. (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/9824253-abs-plastic-prep-paint.html)

JawzSS 06-24-2010 11:37 AM

ABS plastic prep for paint.

I am using automotive paint/clear but would like to know the best way to prep the ABS. I had another thread when i thought the hull was fiberglass but just now realized that it was ABS. Would it go something like this:

1. use prep solvent to wipe down boat

2. sand or wet sand? what size grit ..320?

3. prime, can I use a duplicolor rattle can white primer?

4. sand/ wet sand again with finner grit like 400?

5. base coat

6. clear

dicko 06-24-2010 06:06 PM

RE: ABS plastic prep for paint.

That'd do it, just make sure the primer is compatible. I sprayed a ABS yacht a while back & that's the procedure I followed, but I had to make sure the primer was compatible with the plasticn & paint I used, your local hobby shop should have some in stock.

gtopillado 06-24-2010 10:30 PM

Use to spray models years ago with automotive paint, fine line on how much you can apply. Make sure its sealed or primered and slowly apply your coats.

JawzSS 06-25-2010 08:40 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: gtopillado

Use to spray models years ago with automotive paint, fine line on how much you can apply. Make sure its sealed or primered and slowly apply your coats.

what do you mean?

gtopillado 06-25-2010 06:30 PM

Solvents in automotive paint are more agressive than paint that you buy at a hobby shop (which is made to paint plastic), they are made to be applied over steel, FB etc.. Didn't make since for me to go out and buy paint when I had a mixing machine that would allow me to mix any color I could think of,, a couple of times I layed on a few extra heavy coats for a slicker look and solvents attacked the plastic and ate into it. The model was ruined so the next time I slowly applied the paint and clearcoat, came out fine but make sure you put a sealer or primer down to give it a bit of a barrier coat. Don't know how thick the surface your painting is but models are thin so just throwing caution your way. Probably easier to go to your local hobby shop and buy plastic friendly paint.

JawzSS 06-25-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: gtopillado

Solvents in automotive paint are more agressive than paint that you buy at a hobby shop (which is made to paint plastic), they are made to be applied over steel, FB etc.. Didn't make since for me to go out and buy paint when I had a mixing machine that would allow me to mix any color I could think of,, a couple of times I layed on a few extra heavy coats for a slicker look and solvents attacked the plastic and ate into it. The model was ruined so the next time I slowly applied the paint and clearcoat, came out fine but make sure you put a sealer or primer down to give it a bit of a barrier coat. Don't know how thick the surface your painting is but models are thin so just throwing caution your way. Probably easier to go to your local hobby shop and buy plastic friendly paint.
now ya got me worried.. i just ordered a blue metallic paint from sherwin williams automotive and its supposed to me in next week. The paint is a single step base and clear together so there wont be a seperate clear that i do. However, i am going to prime with a white dupli-color primer out of a rattle can... ahh everyone says something different and now you got me worried like i said. I dont want to ruin my brand new boat, however, automotive paint seems to have a much better quality look... i think im just gona give it a try but just be careful i guess. Ill do the hull cover first and see how that turns out.

gtopillado 06-25-2010 08:53 PM

Not trying to worry you, just making you aware.
Single stage paint is less agressive than basecoat/clearcoat, just don't try to hog it on and you'll be ok. Good idea on doing the hatch 1st.

JawzSS 06-27-2010 05:17 PM

ok cool.. ill be sure to let you know how everything turns out..

gtopillado 06-27-2010 09:33 PM

kool and post some pics too[sm=thumbup.gif]

misshydro 06-28-2010 11:07 AM

You can paint ABS plastic with automotive paints as long its primed up. Been painting models car and trucks with them for along time with no proublems. Other modelers been doing that too. Most use base coat clear coat urethanes and some have used lacqures. Just dont dump the paint on.

JawzSS 06-28-2010 12:57 PM

yea im gona be using a regular HVLP spray gun, which i run around 20 psi correct?

misshydro 06-28-2010 02:58 PM

yes. I run mine between 15-20PSI,depending on the paint.

JawzSS 06-28-2010 03:07 PM

ok great, thanks