RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

stuck up hobby shops

Reply
Old 07-15-2013, 02:26 PM
  #26
SyCo_VeNoM
 
SyCo_VeNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: chicago, IL
Posts: 12,770
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: stuck up hobby shops


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Foxy


Quote:
ORIGINAL: flatpickhippster

HS owners are just trying to stay afloat and that sometimes means the true enthusiaist gets treated like the goober.
And herein lies the problem. If the 'hobby' shop is not looking after the needs of the 'hobbyists', it might as well be selling vaccuum cleaners as far as I'm concerned.

When did people start thinking that a successful business model was what was good for the business and not the customers....

Give it a few years and the same 'hobby' shops will be wondering what went wrong

''Hot dam, I sold Traxxas models all through the difficult years, to thousands of spotty teenagers who I knew had sod all interest in the hobby, because it made my bottom line look good, now I'm closing because the kind of people who buy traxxas either; stay in the hobby but move onto other brands (which I don't stock because they don't pander to my terrible business skills, or my inability to manage my stock needs), or; only wanted traxxas style 50mph instant gratification, after which they sold it on ebay to someone in another state who doesn't buy his parts here. Where's my repeat business yo?''

To which my reply is ''you shoulda sold more hobby products to more hobby people and supported them and listened to them and respected their opinions, and, and, and...''

flatpack, you aren't wrong, and really I'm just playing devil's advocate and going for the other extreme, as always, the truth is somewhere in the middle, but really, bottom line, and the first rule you will learn if you get into a really serious multi million dollar corporation, is that you don't criticise the competition, you just do it better, and you always, ALWAYS treat people with respect, colleagues, customers, competitors, hobos, hookers, zombies, everyone.
This seems to be whats happened to my LHS
They USED to stock parts for the greater majority of vehicles, and brands. OFNA, HPI, Traxxas, Kyosho, Losi, Tamiya, AE They also had on any given day 10-15 ppl shopping at once in the shop during off times like afternoon on a week day

Now 80% of their offerings are Traxxas. Traxxas has 10 parts bins, and 5 aisles dedicated to it, greater majority of models on display are also Traxxas(I'd say 7 out of 10), last I looked HPI has 3 bins, Ofna had 2 bins that haven't had new stock in years (which are thrown in a closet that some employees don't know about), AE 3 bins, Tamiya 2 bins Kyosho only Dnano stuff. With the change at the same times I used to go in from a crowded shop they now usually have more employees on hand then customers(they also got crappier rules that drove people away like no borrowing screw drivers to take a part off to try and fine a replacement)... I used to go there a lot, but after the changes its like why should I waste my gas when they have nothing I want. When I used to go there I'd always walk out with $40-50 in parts a bare minimum, but since they became traxxas *****s last 5 visits I've walked out with $10 tops (usually paint) in purchases it any...
SyCo_VeNoM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:49 PM
  #27
stoneenforcer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: mt dora, FL
Posts: 517
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: stuck up hobby shops


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Foxy

Focus RS500>Any Mustang in any contest.
[img][/img]

nice looking fucus. ive had a couple of the them, one st, one svt. ditched them both and now I drive an sti with 425hp at the wheels, just a weekend ride. pricey vettes and stangs cant touch me. only thing to beat me so far was a lotus who walked me @ 130mph, as I ran out of my rally gearing.
stoneenforcer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:57 PM
  #28
nitrosportsandrunner
Thread Starter
 
nitrosportsandrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: skowhegan, ME
Posts: 9,502
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: stuck up hobby shops


Quote:
ORIGINAL: stoneenforcer


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Foxy

Focus RS500>Any Mustang in any contest.
[img][/img]

nice looking fucus. ive had a couple of the them, one st, one svt. ditched them both and now I drive an sti with 425hp at the wheels, just a weekend ride. pricey vettes and stangs cant touch me. only thing to beat me so far was a lotus who walked me @ 130mph, as I ran out of my rally gearing.
recently watched a youtube vid of a 700+WHP lotus. compound charged, super and turbo chargers. 2 fuel tanks, one gas, one methonal. 0-60 in 2 seconds. completely crazy ride. Car is widened by 9 inches! Rubber is crazy. But its a street driven car.

My dream car is still a Volvo 740 turbo with 300hp. Nothing crazy, and nothing done to the outside. A sleeper...oh, and a wagon at that! 2.4l engine with 25psi of boost. A "quick brick" if you will. something like this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9iTcFy3G5Q[/youtube]
nitrosportsandrunner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:22 PM
  #29
Rob2160
 
Rob2160's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,786
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: stuck up hobby shops


Quote:
ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

there is a difference between sharing one's opinion and stating fact. they way they spoke they were stating fact.
The same people will flat out say that redcats are junk...rather than saying that they are OK for the price. And I know for a fact they they haven't owned a redcat either, but rather based their opinion (which they state as fact) on the word of others.


Foxy, I totally get what you were saying about hobby shops selling what makes "quick" money...rather than doing biz that gets repeat customers.
And traxxas does equal quick money...cause many newbs only know of the traxxas name and as it was mentioned traxxas will lower the overhead cost for hobby shops where other companies may not.

I just feel if I owned a hobby shop (and boy would I love to) that 1) I wouldn't sell/carry a model if I had owned it and felt it was crap and 2)If I shared my opinion of a model I would make sure the person knew that was my opinion. I wouldn't speak it like it was from the Bible.
I 100% agree with all your posts.

I fly planes and Helis but the same thing happens in Hobbyshops, they will promote one product (which is fine) but then criticise another brand in ways I know from my own experience are untrue.

If you had a hobbyshop, I imagine you would have loyal customers because you have ethics.. Unfortunately not all people are the same..

I always tried to share my business equally among the several hobbyshops where I live. You soon realise which ones are spin doctors and which ones take care of you..

I now only use one shop (unless they are out of stock and I need the item "today")

Its the world we live in..

Rob2160 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:17 PM
  #30
flatpickhippster
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: , NC
Posts: 55
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: stuck up hobby shops

Quote:
i wouldnt be relying on rc to pay the bills as most hobby shops seem to do.
Well since you don't own a store I guess the whole discussion is moot.

Where I worked.....I was surprised how much the store's profits were based on the card games like Warhammer, Yu Gi Oh amd Magic
Those I peeps shell out some serious cash weekly for those cards and models.

Good luck
flatpickhippster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:41 PM
  #31
cumquat
 
cumquat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 6,812
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: stuck up hobby shops


Quote:
ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner


Quote:
ORIGINAL: stoneenforcer


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Foxy

Focus RS500>Any Mustang in any contest.
[img][/img]

nice looking fucus. ive had a couple of the them, one st, one svt. ditched them both and now I drive an sti with 425hp at the wheels, just a weekend ride. pricey vettes and stangs cant touch me. only thing to beat me so far was a lotus who walked me @ 130mph, as I ran out of my rally gearing.
recently watched a youtube vid of a 700+WHP lotus. compound charged, super and turbo chargers. 2 fuel tanks, one gas, one methonal. 0-60 in 2 seconds. completely crazy ride. Car is widened by 9 inches! Rubber is crazy. But its a street driven car.

My dream car is still a Volvo 740 turbo with 300hp. Nothing crazy, and nothing done to the outside. A sleeper...oh, and a wagon at that! 2.4l engine with 25psi of boost. A ''quick brick'' if you will. something like this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9iTcFy3G5Q[/youtube]
mine is an 80's ford country squire with a built 460 under the hood no one will expect a 2 and a half ton station wagon to blow past!
cumquat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:52 PM
  #32
JohnP2
 
JohnP2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 1,163
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: stuck up hobby shops

I too have noticed that hobby store owners can be flat out jack-asses (at least the ones I go to here in Tarrant  County). This is not to paint a broad brush, as I don't mean to generalize this, only letting you know my experience.

There is a place near my house that is small and is mainly an electirc shop (i.e. no nitro suff). I brought a MegaTech buggy in recently to see of he had a part. He trated my son and I like were complete idiots to "the hobby". I laughed when we left because  his customers are guys that bring their Traxxas Revo's in to be worked on beccause they "can't  start it" and he charges them an arm and a leg.
JohnP2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:40 PM
  #33
SyCo_VeNoM
 
SyCo_VeNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: chicago, IL
Posts: 12,770
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: stuck up hobby shops


Quote:
ORIGINAL: flatpickhippster

Quote:
i wouldnt be relying on rc to pay the bills as most hobby shops seem to do.
Well since you don't own a store I guess the whole discussion is moot.

Where I worked.....I was surprised how much the store's profits were based on the card games like Warhammer, Yu Gi Oh amd Magic
Those I peeps shell out some serious cash weekly for those cards and models.

Good luck
Magic is a great game I have shelled out quite a bit for cards in the past when I was an avid player.
Warhammer never got into I used to be into BattleTech(this was like 14 years ago before they botched up the rules), and remember buying the figures for $15-25 a pop.

Too bad game shops dried up by me or I'd probably still play
SyCo_VeNoM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:43 PM
  #34
SyCo_VeNoM
 
SyCo_VeNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: chicago, IL
Posts: 12,770
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: stuck up hobby shops

Quote:
ORIGINAL: JohnP2

I too have noticed that hobby store owners can be flat out jack-asses (at least the ones I go to here in Tarrant County). This is not to paint a broad brush, as I don't mean to generalize this, only letting you know my experience.

There is a place near my house that is small and is mainly an electirc shop (i.e. no nitro suff). I brought a MegaTech buggy in recently to see of he had a part. He trated my son and I like were complete idiots to ''the hobby''. I laughed when we left because his customers are guys that bring their Traxxas Revo's in to be worked on beccause they ''can't start it'' and he charges them an arm and a leg.
Outta curiosity was it a 1/18th megapro/pro-pulse?
SyCo_VeNoM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:10 AM
  #35
JohnP2
 
JohnP2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 1,163
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: stuck up hobby shops


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM
Outta curiosity was it a 1/18th megapro/pro-pulse?
Yep. Pretty cool little buggy. it was my son's years ago and just sitting around. I got it going and gave it to one of my neighbor's kids.
JohnP2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:14 AM.