Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What RC car should I get?

Old 04-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Gliff159

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What RC car should I get?

My friend and I areinterestedin getting into RC cars. I have never driven any 'real' RC cars I had a smallish RadioShack buggy in the 90s it didnt really go fast i think i could do minor repairs to a car. I plan on driving around on a golf course that is behind my house its a pretty hilly wide open area, tho there is sand in some pars is this bad for RC cars. I looked at some nitro RC cars in the 1/8th scale and they looked pretty cool. Anysuggestionsor advice would behelpful.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:12 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: What RC car should I get?

Whats your budget?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Slo-V Flyer

I would advice you to NOT get into 8th scale nitro buggies as your first R/C experience unless you have a big budget and have researched nitro engines and maintenance some. Sure some guys just start with nitro and love it, others have a negative experience and are put off by the learning curve from R/C.

My advice would be to get a "simpler" r/c car to start out, nitro or electric (I will state that I am bias toward electric due to its initial plug and go simplicity).

Traxxas makes great beginner level but quite upgradable and popular models. Bandit, Slash, Rustler, Stampede, or even the T/E-Maxx trucks; most are available in nitro or electric. Others are the Duratrax Evader line of trucks and buggies (2wd) electric and nitro. Of course there are also the mini/micro 1/16th and 1/18th scale stuff that is cheaper like Mini-T or Mini-Desert Truck, Duratrax Vendetta etc.

Just remember there is always some maintenance and the occassional broken parts so you must be comfortable and somewhat adept with a screwdriver and common wrenching tools, maybe even a little soldering for the occassional busted wire/connection. And patience. It took a few months of research before I was comfortable with spending the $190 on a Rustler back in '03. I'd advise you to budget yourself to start out with at least "decent" level batteries and more importantly a charger that can handle and charge batteries of different types so you dont have to by another later on.

Oh, and see what your LOCAL hobby shop carries and supports with parts etc. That will be a key factor in what you want to get so your initial experience is more pleasant, with help and parts physically closer rather than a "click away." Avoid Redcat or other cheaper off brands. They usually don't have local parts support like a Traxxas/HPI/Losi/Associated/Ofna, but more so they are not as higher quality, or tough compared to Traxxas or other brands like Tamiya, etc. though there are always bad apples/lemons in any bunch/brand.

I'm sure there is plenty of useful info in my short rambling there.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Gliff159

ah crap left that our id say 250-350
Old 04-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Slo-V Flyer

For $250-$350 for everything I'd then say avoid Nitro for now at least, and use that toward a good electric setup. You can get a decent charger/battery and a ready to run R/C model for about $275-$300.

Go on towerhobbies, horizonhobby . com and take a look some of the products I mentioned and branch out and see what fits your bill, then come back and ask for opinions on those and other juicy info like upgrades and options.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you want nitro for $350 the Jammin X1 from amainhobbies.com is pretty good they have a $25 off coupon so its $325 + shipping. It comes with everything but nitro in the box and is pretty simple to tune.
Nitros generally around $20-35 a gallon (depending where you live)
only thing is the steering servo that comes with it is crappy and it could use a $30 Hitec 645MG or similar

I wouldn't suggest nitro for use in sand though. Sand can royally screw up a engine if any gets in.
You might be better with a Brushless electric
but most those are around $320ish and need some hefty initial investment in batteries and gear to charge em.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:30 AM
Kalani938

I was in your exact same boat about two weeks ago. Ihad no idea what I wanted and I had about the same budget you have. I was looking at nitro first, but after I saw all the maintenance you have to do everytime you drive it, I decided to go electric. After a couple weeks of doing research I decided to go with the Traxxas Slash 4x4. It's about $379 at Tower Hobbies and it comes with everything you need. They also let you use an EasyPay option that allows you to pay it out over 3 months. I got my truck a few days ago and I absolutely LOVE this truck! It comes with a battery and a charger, but I would advise to get a better charger and a better battery. I got the Onyx 240 chargerand so far it's working out very well. I also grabbed a Tenergy 5000mah 8.4VNihm battery pack to go along with the 3000mah that comes with the truck. Out of the box I'd say it does about 40mph, but that caneasily increase with Lipo batteries and the Mamba Monster motor upgrade. I've read that it will go over 80mph with these upgrades.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Gliff159

i see looking now it looks like the 1/8th sizes for nice brands are pretty expensive if i went down to 1/10th scale would that survive some sweet jumps and or drops?
Old 04-09-2010, 05:36 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All those that say dont get 1/8th scale are jokers, your running offroad, 1/8th is the control factor you need.
A GOLF COARSE, is usually a prosecutable tresspassing offence, so to get around it most of the time l would suggest a Brushless LIPO set up , so quite they wont notice unless they are on the spot.
Also brushless lipo are faster than nitro, less mess, no tuning issues, no de-tuning from weather, for a first timer, try a brushless lipo set up, l bought all me nephew2 [ 3 of them ] hyper 7s, nitro, for x-mass, not one of them still drives the things, because of the mess and hassle, yet they always want to drive my E-Revo. Which blows a hyper 7 away anyways.
l recommend 1/8th brushless Truggy or 1/10th E-Revo, which is technicly the same size as a 1/8th machine anyways.
l recommend turnigy LIPO batteries for the first timer, at 29$ each for a 5000mah 30c burst 20c constant battery.Chargers start at 40$ for lipo chargers.You will spend far more on nitro servicing and maintanence and fuel than batteries in the long run.

After driving the maintenece is about 10% of that of a nitro machine.Beer o-clock !
Old 04-09-2010, 05:45 PM
rooker
My Feedback: (1)

You can't hear electric ones!!!  I am a newbie and started with nitro.  It is not bad at all and smells,sounds good!!!    GO NITRO
Old 04-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Kalani938

It all comes down to how much time you want to spend maintenancing your RC. If you don't mind 90% more maintenance than with an electric and you love doing stuff like that, then go NITRO! Me on the other hand, I'm gonna stick with electric, at least for now. I like tinkering with mine, but it's by choice, not by necessity.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Gliff159

actually i don't mind doing maintenance as long as its simple i cant rebuild an engine but I can do simple stuff
Old 04-09-2010, 09:40 PM
vinnielopez
My Feedback: (7)

As a newbie I got into this just a few days ago and a friend at the LHSsuggested the slash 4x4 and my wife and I took it out yesterday and we had a blast it is fun and I beat the hell out of it the first time out and it is tough. I love buggies but they are way out of my price range but maybe one day I can swing it. Also check local parts availability its nice to run down and just get a part you need in a few minutes and be running again as opposed to ordering online which will take a few days to get a part.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:48 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: piddlefoot

All those that say dont get 1/8th scale are jokers, your running offroad, 1/8th is the control factor you need.
A GOLF COARSE, is usually a prosecutable tresspassing offence, so to get around it most of the time l would suggest a Brushless LIPO set up , so quite they wont notice unless they are on the spot.
Also brushless lipo are faster than nitro, less mess, no tuning issues, no de-tuning from weather, for a first timer, try a brushless lipo set up, l bought all me nephew2 [ 3 of them ] hyper 7s, nitro, for x-mass, not one of them still drives the things, because of the mess and hassle, yet they always want to drive my E-Revo. Which blows a hyper 7 away anyways.
l recommend 1/8th brushless Truggy or 1/10th E-Revo, which is technicly the same size as a 1/8th machine anyways.
l recommend turnigy LIPO batteries for the first timer, at 29$ each for a 5000mah 30c burst 20c constant battery.Chargers start at 40$ for lipo chargers.You will spend far more on nitro servicing and maintanence and fuel than batteries in the long run.

After driving the maintenece is about 10% of that of a nitro machine.Beer o-clock !
you must be smokin crack man electric aint quiet at all
my 1/12th scale BL truggy is almost as loud as my MT2. I can hear the MT2 about 100 feet (33.3meters) farther away than the brushless. Only time electric is quiet is when your not moving it, where as nitro still has the engine running
its just a different sound. Electrics are a whinny high pitched noise vs nitros sound like a lawnmower
I also find Brushless break a hell of alot faster due to the extra power behind em.

also he said $350 range not $750-900...
the friggin esc and motor in a 1/8th is almost his whole budget alone
Old 04-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Kalani938

Which body style did you get and have you done any hop ups on it? I love my truck so far. Great vehicle and very durable
ORIGINAL: vinnielopez

As a newbie I got into this just a few days ago and a friend at the LHSsuggested the slash 4x4 and my wife and I took it out yesterday and we had a blast it is fun and I beat the hell out of it the first time out and it is tough. I love buggies but they are way out of my price range but maybe one day I can swing it. Also check local parts availability its nice to run down and just get a part you need in a few minutes and be running again as opposed to ordering online which will take a few days to get a part.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:54 AM
vinnielopez

I got the 4x4 Mike Jenkins edition it's a lot of fun. I bought the sway bars but have not put them in yet I will install them this weekend.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Kalani938

Mike or Mark? LOL. Igot the Mark Jenkins edition #25. I'm having a lot of fun with mine as well. No hop-ups yet, but definitely planning on some in the near future. Let me know how the sway bars work.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:34 PM
vinnielopez

LOL I will let you know how they work out i can tell you i was running fast on some rough terrain and it only flipped once so its working well for me as is lets see how the sway bars work out. As far as the original poster I will say that I'm loving this slash but there are other choices please let us know what you end up getting and what you think about it after you run it.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:25 PM
bronx boy

you can get a nitro rustler for 199.00 at stormer and a thunder tiger 1/8 nitro buggy for 229.00 on ultimate hobbies both rtr the buggy will tear up a lot of lawn real fast bud so the golf coarse is out if you want a real nice truck look for the associated mmgt 3.0 they go for 229.00 or 239.00 they are a real nice truck and fast to with most nitro you need a glow starter and a gallon of fuel and your good to go
Old 04-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Gliff159

what about this one?