Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

Hpi Sprint 2 Drift Rtr - Tire wear, Belt wear, and related issues

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Hpi Sprint 2 Drift Rtr - Tire wear, Belt wear, and related issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:42 AM
sidpat_apl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hpi Sprint 2 Drift Rtr - Tire wear, Belt wear, and related issues

can someone help me out- i usually will be driving the car on asphalt or the pavements..is it recommended.......or does it need a very clean surface.......
and will it damage the parts more on the asphalt tarmac roads.

n how lond does the orignal tirs last, and also the belts.?

also i wanna know if i put normal touring tires on to the drift car, how would it affect the handling and speed....?

thanks ppl..........this forum is real helpful, and have got most of my queries sorted out, just these few i cudnt figure out.......

Old 05-14-2008, 07:14 AM
magnat

Default RE: Hpi Sprint 2 Drift Rtr - Tire wear, Belt wear, and related issues

To run a Sprint 2 it needs to be clean... not ultra shiny but it needs to be pebble free.. you cannot run a sprint 2 on a gravel surface and expect to get any life out of the rear belt

Car will handle fine on either drift or racing tyres.

Tyres will last a fair amount of time.. the Rear belt how ever, its life span can be listed in minutes.. I got 11 months out of my original rear belt but I was religiously cleaning it every run and inspections on the rear belt at every battery change... others have gotten 10 minutes and their Belts have shredded.. Just buy a few rear belts when you get the car just in case.....
Old 05-17-2008, 06:59 PM
klloyd

I love my car!!! A rock got stuck the first day and started to wear the belt, but i did the diff. upgrade and no more issues. I just recently locked my rear diff and i think it makes bigger/widder drifts better, but im still learning so its up to you there. Had the car for about a month and my stock tires are slicks now, but i use it every day for hours. A guy i work with has a tt-01 and im not impressed with it, seems slower and less torquey. For the $300 i paid i would do it again, car is deffinately worth it. Im not too sure about touring tires, im going to buy a set of antique wheels and drift compound tires and see how those work. Im doing up a panda trueno(initial d Themed), the 8 spokes r perfect for it..... sorry off topic. Basically this is the car to get, perfect to learn on and you can mod anything on it as you grow in the sport.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:06 AM
MTboy

What is the diff. up grade? I would like to get and do all to help with the rear belt. Any info would really help. Thanks guys..
Old 06-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Ultra Vip

yeah what is this diff upgrade you speak of?

i just got my sprint 2 about a week ago. ive driven it on the road in front of my house mostly. its not super smooth but it really rough either. ive probablly got about a total run time of >3 hours. im about to shread the belt already and double check your esc wires. the way mine was installed by the factory caused it to rub up against the upper deck and fray the wires so it almost cause it to sort out. gave me a reason to put the sidewinder in. also watch out for pebbles i pick one up when i was drifting in a parking lot and it tore up my spur gear so thats why you see i have a white one now in the pic.

heres a pic of my belt
Old 06-09-2008, 11:33 AM
MTboy

Ultra vip, How fast is it out of the box? Is it easy to learn to drift? Have any good mods to get for it? Sorry for all the questions just looking for info and so far the only info I'v got is to have extra rear belts... What batts. should I use?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:41 PM
peetiewonder

tt01d > sprint 2 imo
Old 06-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Ultra Vip

ORIGINAL: MTboy

Ultra vip, How fast is it out of the box? Is it easy to learn to drift? Have any good mods to get for it? Sorry for all the questions just looking for info and so far the only info I'v got is to have extra rear belts... What batts. should I use?

well first off let me tell you im new to all of this too. so my input might not be as useful as some of the other veterans here. with that out of the way anything i can say take what you want out of it.

How fast is it out of the box?
it is relatively fast out of the box imo. there are probablly faster ones out there but with the 15t motor. i thought it was fast. i met another guy out here with a tt01 with a 27t motor and i blow the doors off that but its kinda unfair there.

Is it easy to learn to drift?
being new im still learning how to drift. the car will drift on the rubber tires that come with the kit but you have to coax the tail to come out with burst of speed and once it slides you have to be ready or it will go all the way around. i suggest getting some abs tires like the ones made from sushi i think. ive tried to make my own with pvc pipe like what people have said on here but with the 15t motor i dont go anywhere.

Have any good mods to get for it?
the only mod i have on my car right now it the side winder 5700kv brushless motor. i only did this because like the warning i had in my previous post the ESC chaffed itself on the upper deck of the chassis. so i needed to replace it. other than that i dont know what to mod. i might lock up the rear diff soon. if i do ill let you know how it turns out.

What batts. should I use?
batteries depends on your budget. i hear lipo's are the best for run time but very costly.

right now i have 4 1800 nicad packs and 2 3200 nimh packs. the 1800 were relatively cheap about $13 a piece but have very short run times. the 3200's were $25 a piece and give you decent run times. enough to make the motor warm imo pinion to take a break to let it cool down for awhile after.

truthfully if i wouldve done my research before making such a spontaneous purchase and all ive spent in the last week. i probablly wouldve just bought the sprint 2 drift kit with no electronics. just have gotten the sidewinder brushless off the bat. a nice lipo battery, a lipo charger and a decent controller for the same money. so if you havent ordered your car yet. think about that route.

hopefully something in my ramble helps you out some.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:21 PM
MTboy

Thanks ultra, It really did help but I all ready ordered...lol Thats ok I like to modd and change things almost as much as driving.. I have a couple 4500 6 cell batts from my sons truggy I'm going to be using. Thanks again and let me know if you figure out any good modds...
Old 06-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Ultra Vip

yeah those 4500 should just work fine for you then.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:42 AM
klerrick

I believe it's somewhere around 30-35mph out of the box. That's what the guy told me at the hobby shop. It seems quick.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:45 AM
calum b

Hi,i have just use my sprint 2 for 20 mins and the rar belt snaped.what do u think coused this
Old 06-14-2008, 09:54 AM
TIGER76

Where were you using it too? was it on rough ground like a road cos those lil stones love to chew belts up[]
Shaft drive ftw
Old 06-14-2008, 07:08 PM
magnat

As I have stated before... the Sprint 2 can't be effectively run on roads that contain alot of debris.. Ideally, they are a track or Court Car...

They Do great on concrete like Netball courts and Tennis Courts or Multilevel car parks but because they have a protected Rear diff, they wont last long on rough Black top..

I mean I got 11 months of continous use off my rear belt.. all it takes is a little bit of care and caution to get the maximum out of your sprint 2...

If your going to drift on unprepped surfaces then a TT-01 or TB-02 is a much wiser choice...

I have drifted and owned, a TT-01,Cyclone S and the Sprint 2 and for me the sprint 2 drifts superior to both the TT-01 and the cyclone S... It just feels better to slide.. wether its freestyle or Track...
Old 06-16-2008, 08:55 AM
klerrick

ORIGINAL: TIGER76

Where were you using it too? was it on rough ground like a road cos those lil stones love to chew belts up[]
Shaft drive ftw
Yeah, rocks, pebbles, and debris can wreak havoc on the belts in the RC car. You may want to give the area you are running your car a quick look to ensure that you are not running the car in a bad environment.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:56 AM
fl0PPsy

ORIGINAL: magnat

As I have stated before... the Sprint 2 can't be effectively run on roads that contain alot of debris.. Ideally, they are a track or Court Car...

They Do great on concrete like Netball courts and Tennis Courts or Multilevel car parks but because they have a protected Rear diff, they wont last long on rough Black top..

I mean I got 11 months of continous use off my rear belt.. all it takes is a little bit of care and caution to get the maximum out of your sprint 2...

If your going to drift on unprepped surfaces then a TT-01 or TB-02 is a much wiser choice...

I have drifted and owned, a TT-01,Cyclone S and the Sprint 2 and for me the sprint 2 drifts superior to both the TT-01 and the cyclone S... It just feels better to slide.. wether its freestyle or Track...
Geez Magnet I would have thought that by now you'd have moved on from the Sprint2 and other cheap RTR chassis.

The Sprint2 has inherant problems with chewing belts. You can help the situation some by cutting away the rear plastic gard behind the diff so that pebbles etc can fly out the back but you'll still have more wear on the belt with a Sprint2 than you would alot of other belt driven chassis. The idea of only being able to use this car on a track or court is just silly since it limits your fun in a big way. My advice is move on from the Sprint2. Trust me you wont look back once you do. Try a TA05
Old 06-18-2008, 08:46 AM
magnat

lol I sorta like sticking with what works fl0PPsy..

Tamiya parts in my area are a PITA..

Cyclone S goes alright on Poly's but I just prefer the feel the sprint 2 gives back...

With the weather the way it is, I spend more time off roading then I do drifting lol...
Old 06-18-2008, 06:22 PM
fl0PPsy

ORIGINAL: magnat

lol I sorta like sticking with what works fl0PPsy..

Tamiya parts in my area are a PITA..
Stick with what works ??? A Sprint2? wow ok hehe. Thats like saying that you'll stick to driving a Datsun 180B rather than moving up to a R35 GTR but whatever

As for Tamiya parts being a pain, again I have to say WOW ... sucks to be on the east coast Over here on the best coast, sorry I meant the West Coast Tamiya parts arent an issue. The same stores that carry the kits carry the parts as logic would dictate

I'm also surprised that your still talking about Poly. Over here we now use the HPI Drift-T tires as the control tire for Comps and Sunday bashing. They give a much better balance of grip and slip than Poly does and are cheap anyway.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:58 PM
BBY RPN FKK PIG

The 180B to R35 comparrison is retarded, it's not like the sprint 2 a hunk of ****. Just HPI is too ****ing stupid to make a belt guard.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:34 PM
fl0PPsy

Alright how about a Hachi compared to a R34 then hehe ...
Old 06-22-2008, 11:27 AM
ak_mal2

why should compare between car chasis so u can have better drift..just stick to what u feel ok with ur budget, then learn from it..got nothing be a pro just because a chasis,,just think someone that own a smartech, or Heng Long (China brand and really cheap) can drift better from thus who have better chasis like TA05..
have tried drift with sprint 2....seem ok, noow used trinity monster and LRP Sprinter( didnt have reverse) and still can drift well (with ABS tire) ..just think to upgrade to brushless like the sidewinder..
for the belt problem, just cut-of the rear belt housing/guard so stones or other thing can go out
sorry broken english
Old 06-22-2008, 06:01 PM
fl0PPsy

Well if you want to put it that way then yeah even my cheap TT01 can drift as well as a Sprint2 if its setup correctly. I totally I agree with you there.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:11 PM
JDM BUCK

hey i had the same problem when i had first gotton my hpi srint 2 sport drift rtr the same next days its the rear stock plastic housing it rubbed against the plastic casing where it protects the belts and axle gears i had to use a small rotary tool with fine sand bit etc grooved where the belt was rubbing problem solved also still running my stock belt it looks like its shredded but you will no my freind when the belts ready my buddy had broken quite a few im running a 46oo mah and its last me about 45 i was told with the stock 15t motor you can go 4600 mah to 5000 mah and wont damage the motor
Old 08-23-2008, 04:38 AM
ak_mal2

me used sprint 2 to drift...my version is kit version one
normal to belt car to have this problem belt been chew up..just cut of the belt guard box n lower chasis at the rear pulley....hard work to do but will give best rsult..
me just mod the battery place a little bit front using saddle pack setting-i used stick pack- n this give car 50-50 weight distribution...believe me ur car will car to over spin on the rear...n more easy to handle...sprint 2 chasis also give smooth drifting..as the weight distribution on the center(battery place on centre) not much as some car battery on the left -right side...now proD also come with centre batt place (on rear)
this is the best chasis i think after try some tamiya... hobby is creativity..if u wanna buy perfect one,then no challenge on the set up that u need to do...or just go to rc drift event, bought the champion car..
Old 08-23-2009, 11:34 PM
d1tree

bought a Sprint 2 Drift two days ago factory rear belt went after 3 rd battery, Bought replacement and instaled it and it started to shred on one side about 3 min. into a run , Dissassembled it an dchecked it out a piece of plastic flashing from the manafacturing process was robbing , Cleaned it up with a dremal but belt continues to pick up every piece of dust sand and grit around. Belts cost just shy of ten dollars around here and involve a 45 min.drive. I have made a smaal lexan gaurd that monys to the lower deck bends up 90* and is cut out too fit tightly around the aluminum motor/ rear brackets ant the belt. Have run two packs through now belt is wearing and a much slower rate. My long winded point is maybe we should all be e-mailing calling writting HPI and letting them know there is a design problem.( the large moter hole in front of the rear dif.) If they get enough inqiries/ complaints maybe they can come up with a free fix for us. I double checked the box does not mention the need for a sterilized runnig enviroment.

D Wood