RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Drifting (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-drifting-304/)
-   -   TT01 upgrade parts are mostly useless! (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-drifting-304/6427534-tt01-upgrade-parts-mostly-useless.html)

ben805 09-29-2007 02:15 AM

TT01 upgrade parts are mostly useless!

I've seen all these bling bling aluminum and alloy upgrade parts from GPM, 3Racing, or Tamiya for our TT01, other than the ball bearing set and aluminum drive shaft, the rest of the "hop-ups" are mostly junk like arms, brace, suspension, and all that crap, which have very little to absolutely no performance increase other than the bling factor, why oh why nobody make some higher grade tranny gears? show me some steel/hardened spur/pinion and differential gears dang it! :D:D

peetiewonder 09-29-2007 02:27 AM

RE: TT01 upgrade parts are mostly useless!

dude the suspension parts can make a big difference on the cars handling

Drift Noob 09-29-2007 02:51 AM

And many idiots buy the crap, one day, I will too. Talking about bling, will four grand wheels make your car go faster? Nah ah. Well, if their lighter then yeah, but you know what I mean.

The purple aluminium is for posers. Titanium doesn't have any distinguishing colours to it, does it?

ben805 09-29-2007 04:21 AM

suspension upgrade can be useful for racing only, but for drifting....I found the upgrade made very little to no difference comparing to the cheap friction type. Bling factor can be cool but with the shell on who are we to show off our bling aluminum upgrades? LOL I don't see many people drift with the body shell off, or use the unpainted transparent body shell to show off da bling bling... :)

peetiewonder 09-29-2007 04:56 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: ben805

suspension upgrade can be useful for racing only, but for drifting....I found the upgrade made very little to no difference comparing to the cheap friction type. Bling factor can be cool but with the shell on who are we to show off our bling aluminum upgrades? LOL I don't see many people drift with the body shell off, or use the unpainted transparent body shell to show off da bling bling... :)

i beg to differ in a BIG way. The adjustable dampers definately can make the car more drivable while drifting. My buddy psychorevo ran his tt01 with a one way last week and it was solid but super snappy. after some tuning of the shocks, he was able to make the ebrake effect managable and switch backs smoother with more speed on the same style track. That alone shows me that the dampers are worth it.

DirtBonez 09-29-2007 05:49 AM

There are lots of useful upgrades for the tt-01. What about adjustable a-arms, turbuckles, metal motor mounts, or alloy wheel hexes just to name a few. But your definatly right about the drivetrain upgrades. I'm sure the brushless guys would really love that.

ravenlunatic 09-29-2007 07:06 AM

hells yeah, some metal gears would be nice. also i gon't get the point of the metal motor mount. wouldn't it just be more wieght?

DirtBonez 09-29-2007 07:07 AM

Well the metal won't melt if you have a high performance motor that likes to get hot.

Jordandarkmagic 09-29-2007 07:33 AM

hello.. Aluminum motor mount is lighter than the plastic. But I would consider something like the batter mount to be bling.
And I think it's okay if the hop-up replaces one of the stock parts to make the car lighter and stuff, but things like stabilizers, upper frames, just add weight to the car.

TIGER76 09-29-2007 08:53 AM

The ali motor mount is also very useful it stops the heat from melting like the standard plastics ones,
and yes most hopups are just for show to add bling,but then we arent running for speed are we? so we run for looks [8D]

studysession 09-29-2007 09:15 AM

All these same comments can be made for any brand or model of RC on the market.

An off road RC you buy hop-ups to be tough and plastic usually breaks easier. Onroad if you aren't racing and getting stiffer stronger parts then mainly for the bling factor.

It's all matter of what you like or dislike. I mainly bash & drift my TT-01. It's all stock even plastic prop shaft except for bearings and shocks. I run a Hack C40 6 Turn brushless in it and have not stipped out gears or broke the shaft yet, but when they do that's when I will upgrade to better parts and yes if they had metal gears would get those over the plastic when i do eventually upgrade.

JMO

wst50 09-29-2007 11:32 AM

How does the plastic propshaft cope with BL? How come the steering assembly hasn't been shattered by the driveshaft hitting it?

I suppose it helps the drivetrain, as the plastic driveshaft will snap instead of any more expensive parts...

studysession 09-29-2007 11:51 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: wst50

How does the plastic propshaft cope with BL? How come the steering assembly hasn't been shattered by the driveshaft hitting it?

I suppose it helps the drivetrain, as the plastic driveshaft will snap instead of any more expensive parts...
If I start off WOT then you hear the gears making noise, long as I do soft starts then all is ok. But eventually sure it will eventually go and then will get an aluminum shaft. ;)

C.A.R. 09-29-2007 06:32 PM

Bling is bling. It's a statement. It says, "I have more money to spend than you do" or "I am more outrageous with my money than you". Either of those makes for a more interesting person than someone who criticises the upgrades for these cars.

I'm building a TT01 at the moment, it's my 7th TT01. IT will have a complete aluminium suspension setup, ball differentials and all other essential upgrades. It will be unique, and that's what makes you do it;)

Chris.

///Toddy 09-29-2007 06:59 PM

all the parts are worth it except the ball diff. I heard the ball diff arent made for outdoor. Correct me if im wrong. Upper carbon fiber helps to keep the frame a little more stiffer than without it. I say its def worth it too.

qaz393 09-29-2007 09:34 PM

diffs should be useful.

http://www.3racing.com.hk/x_descript...ducts_key=9133
is that useless??

Jordandarkmagic 09-29-2007 10:21 PM

I'd say that wishbone suspension w/ camber adjustment is useless with ABS or Yokomo drift tires. The plastic won't warp in tight turns as easily as rubber ones.

Quote:

ORIGINAL: qaz393

diffs should be useful.

http://www.3racing.com.hk/x_descript...ducts_key=9133
is that useless??
I'd definitely get that. Thats like a crap load lighter than the plastic tub chassis. And it looks better as well.

360!! 09-30-2007 01:00 AM

i would like 2 se a cardon fiber shassyyy made 4 TT01....... that would be super cool! and i reken u can drift better wif 1 as welllllll.. what are your guys view on them?

DirtBonez 09-30-2007 06:04 AM

Is that chassis out yet or wat? I dont care how much I am gettin it.

studysession 09-30-2007 07:11 AM

Here you go a slid axle -

http://www.3racing.com.hk/x_descript...ducts_key=9192

Some other bits:
http://www.3racing.com.hk/ search for tt-01

///Toddy 09-30-2007 05:41 PM

wait a minute, a carbon fiber TT01 chassis? no way, when its gonna come out?! i def like that one.

ravenlunatic 09-30-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: studysession

Here you go a slid axle -

http://www.3racing.com.hk/x_descript...ducts_key=9192

Some other bits:
http://www.3racing.com.hk/ search for tt-01
the axle is aluminum but the gear is not. it'd be nice to find alu. spurs and other drive gears.

ben805 09-30-2007 07:29 PM

not sure if it helps but I have been toying with heat treating my new pinion gears, threw it on the stove or oven for no more than 3 minutes(heat it up to about 500'F) then drop it into ice water, repeated this process like 4~5 times. I melted the first pinion gear the first time I did it, oven set at 600'F and left it in too long, when I saw the gear started to sweat I used a needle nose plier to take it out, the darn thing melted like butter as soon as I touch it LOL

qaz393 09-30-2007 09:56 PM

i dont think you properly heat treated the metal. you have to heat the metal until it loses all it's magnetic property and then you can cool it.

Suprachrgd82 09-30-2007 10:30 PM

Definitely awaiting the chassis from 3Racing. The solid, heatsink motor mount is a sure fire way to fix the gear stripping problems.

That chassis in coordination with the adjustable upper arms will bring the TT to a race spec level.