Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Will these work?

Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM
thecomputerdewd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will these work?

Battery :http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Motor :http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...strSearch=5060
ESC :http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

I am wondering if these will work together? I notice that the ESC is rated for 2 pole, and the motor is 7.
But, according to this blog :http://howtomakeanelectricskateboard...running-again/it works fine.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:42 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Will these work?

If it worked there, then it should be fine.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:46 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how fast are you wanting to go?
that setup almost seems overkill.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:55 PM
thecomputerdewd

Its for an electric longboard. I honestly have been worrying that it wont be enough!

This is my first electronics build, as I usually do gas powered builds. (I've owned 2-3 RC Cars that I've just purchase built).

About 30 minutes before this post, I derped out... xD I connected the battery directly to the motor, not expecting it to explode! The motor instantly went to flames, and it left little holes all over my glass desk > The battery seems to be fine though.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:09 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: thecomputerdewd

Its for an electric longboard. I honestly have been worrying that it wont be enough!

This is my first electronics build, as I usually do gas powered builds. (I've owned 2-3 RC Cars that I've just purchase built).

About 30 minutes before this post, I derped out... xD I connected the battery directly to the motor, not expecting it to explode! The motor instantly went to flames, and it left little holes all over my glass desk > The battery seems to be fine though.
so, you plugged a 6s lipo into 2 of the 3 wires of a brushless motor?
brushless aint like brushed motors....which you could test by just putting the plugs to a battery.
glad you didn't get hurt.

post pics of the motor please!
Old 07-25-2013, 05:27 PM
thecomputerdewd

Will be posting, give me one sec.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:28 PM
thecomputerdewd

Do you guys know any good methods to store/charge lipos? The bags don't seem like a very good idea.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:34 PM
thecomputerdewd

The flame was probably about 5 inch. tall. It was right under my computer monitor, so i'm glad that wasn't damaged!

All of the parts are from HobbyKing. I also noticed that the charger I got isn't genuine! (The image shows Genuine, but it doesn't have the sticker!)
Old 07-25-2013, 05:43 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Do you guys know any good methods to store/charge lipos? The bags don't seem like a very good idea.
I don't bother with the bags...tho they are a good idea. they will keep the flames at bay long enough for you to throw the lipo out of the house.
Its not likely that a lipo will catch fire...and it basically takes user error or hammering a nail threw the pack for it to happen.

Some use a med sized metal box.

I treat my lipos the same as everyone treated nimh packs. In my experience, they are no more dangerous than they were. Both can catch fire, but both require a mistake or abuse for it to happen.

I don't leave my house with a lipo charging tho.....just in case. I wanna be home so I could chuck the flaming lipo out of the house should the need ever arise.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:45 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I wouldn't worry about the charger. there are a few models out there which are all the same...just sold under different names.

which 2 wires did you touch to the battery? with brushless motors, all 3 wires get used by the ESC. don't ask me what the 3rd does, all I know is that brushless motors put out a lot more power and are much more efficient than the brushed motors.
I do know that running any motor at max RPMs with No Load is not a good idea.
But in your case it looks like the power was too much and caused arching.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:47 PM
thecomputerdewd

Well, I've got quite the beafy battery here. 5000mah 6C, so I most likely will be using some type of container.
I will probably just grab some hinges, and weld together a sealed metal box :P
Old 07-25-2013, 05:48 PM
thecomputerdewd

Just the + and -. Im going to get a new motor, and proceed with my build.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Well, I've got quite the beafy battery here. 5000mah 6C, so I most likely will be using some type of container.
I will probably just grab some hinges, and weld together a sealed metal box :P
I have shorted out a 3s lipo before (crossed some wires)
I recall the blue light that blasted out. I can imagine that when you connected that second motor wire and 24v jumped across and that motor started going that it jumped you pretty good.

I don't think there is a way to test a brushless motor...other than plugging it into a ESC and powering it on.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:53 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

I don't bother with the bags...tho they are a good idea. they will keep the flames at bay long enough for you to throw the lipo out of the house.
Its not likely that a lipo will catch fire...and it basically takes user error or hammering a nail threw the pack for it to happen.

Some use a med sized metal box.

I treat my lipos the same as everyone treated nimh packs. In my experience, they are no more dangerous than they were. Both can catch fire, but both require a mistake or abuse for it to happen.

I don't leave my house with a lipo charging tho.....just in case. I wanna be home so I could chuck the flaming lipo out of the house should the need ever arise.
NiMh's explode not catch fire

Funny thing I had a AAA Alkaline explode a few weeks back that was in a LED flashlight blew it into pieces sucker sounded like a M80 going off. It would have shattered my monitor if it was like an inch over as it hit the border of the monitor and ricocheted across the room. I will be honest I have had thousands upon thousands of batteries in things, and never once seen that happen. Funny thing was right after I picked the battery leftovers up they weren't even warm so I have no idea why it exploded either.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:00 PM
thecomputerdewd

Haha. Well, I have just ordered a second motor.
I am hoping that I might be able to get my money back for the charger, and the motor, as the charger was described as genuine, but its not. Still waiting to find out if the battery is good though.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:16 PM
byrne1157

First, take all of the parts, and especially the batteries you have, seal them into a lock box, mail someone the key, and explain to them that you want to build a brushless setup, and shouldn't have access to this stuff until you have gotten someone with experience to teach you how to procede safely. 
 This stuff is not for kids, or inexperienced adults. The LIPO batteries are designed to dump all of their power at once! But this comes at a high price, in the way of heat, hydrogen, and damage. 
 A brusless motor is a 3-phase dc motor, consisting of nothing more than copper wire, and magnets. This is why you must use an ESC to control it. An ESC has an amp rating. If you exceed that rating for more than a second or two, you will burn it out. 
 You really need much more education before attempting to handle hese things.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:26 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: byrne1157

First, take all of the parts, and especially the batteries you have, seal them into a lock box, mail someone the key, and explain to them that you want to build a brushless setup, and shouldn't have access to this stuff until you have gotten someone with experience to teach you how to procede safely.
This stuff is not for kids, or inexperienced adults. The LIPO batteries are designed to dump all of their power at once! But this comes at a high price, in the way of heat, hydrogen, and damage.
A brusless motor is a 3-phase dc motor, consisting of nothing more than copper wire, and magnets. This is why you must use an ESC to control it. An ESC has an amp rating. If you exceed that rating for more than a second or two, you will burn it out.
yes yes, he could have been hurt but lucky he didn't and sometimes that's how we learn.
Granted, for most of us the idea of plugging a brushless motor into a battery seems wack....but if you haven't had someone teach you the difference between brushed and brushless then how would one know?

I must have burned up several brushed motors back in the day...attempting to get more speed with lower turn motors and sometimes higher gearing, when what I really needed was Lower gearing. Only after admitting my mistake on RCU was it explained that the higher performance brushed motors had more RPMs but less torque...and needed to be geared down and not up as I thought. Toasted a couple of $50 motors before I learned. Bought a $20 temp gun and haven't burnt up a motor like that in a long time.

Yes, lipos can be dangerous, but no more so than any type of battery....or combustion engine....or any of the many things we use every day. The key is learning how they are to be used and treated. Its safe to say the OP will never test a brushless motor again like that. And Im sure its now engrained in his mind how a brushless motor differs from a brushed.
Don't be so hard on him. Yes, caution is a good idea when messing with tech one is not used to. But its no reason to tell some one to stop altogether what they are trying to do.

I have to admit, electric powered skate board seems pretty cool. A guy in town has one (not RC, but with a remote and offroad tires) and it looks like it would be fun to ride.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:35 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

You need to test the load amps for this motor, it is likely too small and will draw a higher current then advertised.
In that case your battery will fry, at more then 100 amps it will deliver less then 3 minutes of run time anyways.

This is where a gasoline engine has it's advantage. Runs forever on a small gas tank and you will notice when it's overloaded
Old 07-25-2013, 06:52 PM
thecomputerdewd

Thanks for this post
Well, its not really going to be "RC," just for throttle.
I also just got my first balance charger, and let me tell you! These things are FREAKINCOOL!
It literally makes charging a fun thing to do! Just having an operating system on your charger is so awesome xD
Old 07-25-2013, 06:54 PM
thecomputerdewd

I have actually considered using gas power for this, but am not sure(read below). Do you think a 1:8 scale RC engine would be any more powerfull than this electric setup?

The reason I purchased electric parts, is because this ESC/Motor setup allows for reverse/brakes. I have also read about "regenerative brakes," can someone explain in SIMPLE words how this works? Also, will this ESC/Brake setup allow regenerative braking?

Old 07-25-2013, 07:32 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I have actually considered using gas power for this, but am not sure(read below). Do you think a 1:8 scale RC engine would be any more powerfull than this electric setup?

The reason I purchased electric parts, is because this ESC/Motor setup allows for reverse/brakes. I have also read about ''regenerative brakes,'' can someone explain in SIMPLE words how this works? Also, will this ESC/Brake setup allow regenerative braking?

no regen braking my friend.

a 1/8 nitro rc motor will not put out enough torque for the job. compaired to the brushless motor, the torque output and torque curve is very different.
rc gas motors make decent HP and torque, but only at high rpms. the brushless motor can put out torque even at very low rpms.

runtime will be an issue. And judging by the pics that motor does seem a bit small. It probly wouldn't have much trouble with say...30-60 pounds of weight on the board....but if say 150 then it will draw a lot more from the battery.

don't attempt without a temp gun. You will need to know how hot the motor/esc get. they can run in the 150-160 degree range safetly...which is too hot to keep your hand on. 180 or higher is running a risk and at the least, will not provide a long life.
duratrax temp gun is around $20.
I don't mess with motors that could pull that kinda weight.....tho Ive had an emaxx that could pull my 60 pound kid in her jeep power wheels. so, near 80 pounds. but only at a walking pace and at full throttle on 14.4v
Old 07-26-2013, 04:11 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: byrne1157

...A brusless motor is a 3-phase dc motor, consisting of nothing more than copper wire, and magnets. This is why you must use an ESC to control it. An ESC has an amp rating. If you exceed that rating for more than a second or two, you will burn it out.
A brushless motor is an AC motor, not DC. The ESC alternately pulses the power leads thus eliminating the need for brushes that do essentially the same thing. That "copper wire" is esentially a short circuit to a DC voltage and that is what burned. The same thing would probably happen if you took a standard home (AC) light bulb and connected it to your car battery.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:24 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for this post
Well, its not really going to be "RC," just for throttle.
I also just got my first balance charger, and let me tell you! These things are FREAKINCOOL!
It literally makes charging a fun thing to do! Just having an operating system on your charger is so awesome xD
I have to ask - how old are you? Seriously, man, the things you say just don't add up at all to your handle. You are playing with LIPOs and just got your first balance charger? Contrary to what one other person said, LIPOs are much more dangerous than most other types of batteries, primarilly because of mischarging. A LIPO cell can, in fact, discharge to a negative value so if you have say a 6 cell, 5000MAh battery and you put a ful voltage charge across it without a balance charger you now have one dead shorted cell and a big flame. much like your motor.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:19 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Brushless motors are great, but if you want to ride on this board, you will need something bigger then what you have.
Run times will always be short, you'd need a heck of a battery to ride it for more then 5 minutes.

Like I said, a gasoline engine (not glow) will do just fine here. Some 20cc weed whacker or chain saw engine puts out enough power and you can ride all day long on a gallon of fuel.

You will need some sort of clutch. Installing a brake would be a good idea...
Old 07-26-2013, 07:15 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

Thanks for this post
Well, its not really going to be ''RC,'' just for throttle.
I also just got my first balance charger, and let me tell you! These things are FREAKIN COOL!
I have to ask - how old are you? Seriously, man, the things you say just don't add up at all to your handle. You are playing with LIPOs and just got your first balance charger? Contrary to what one other person said, LIPOs are much more dangerous than most other types of batteries, primarilly because of mischarging. A LIPO cell can, in fact, discharge to a negative value so if you have say a 6 cell, 5000MAh battery and you put a ful voltage charge across it without a balance charger you now have one dead shorted cell and a big flame. much like your motor.
a car battery will blow up in your face and maybe kill you (or at least make you look not so pretty) if you don't treat it right.
Yes, lipos will emit a fairly large flame when then go. But you have to either puncture them....or seriously over charge them. The latter requires use of the wrong type of charger as most lipo chargers will cutoff if you try to charge a lipo to fast.
The only other way is to put a lipo in a setup which will draw WAY to many amps. With rc's....that not usually a worry as there are plenty of baseline examples. So, even if you are trying a custom setup you can usually guess an approprieate lipo spec.
With the skate board setup, one would need a watt or volt meter or something to know what the motor pulls under full load. But even the danger of overloading the lipo can be avoided by doing short tests. If you get the setup together and do a 10 minute test without checking things then it could damage the lipo. if you did a short test then you would see the lipo pack puff up and it would get warm before anything dangerous would happen.

running a lipo too low or getting the cells unbalanced just results in a unusable lipo. If the cells are unbalanced you can try to charge it but it wont every get the cells back to the same amount. and if the cells went below 2.9v then it may not be possible to charge it at all (been there, done that one)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.