RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   can I run lipo batteries in a 14.4 traxxas e-maxx truck (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/9491880-can-i-run-lipo-batteries-14-4-traxxas-e-maxx-truck.html)

dannytraxxas 02-10-2010 12:36 AM

can I run lipo batteries in a 14.4 traxxas e-maxx truck

t9dragon 02-10-2010 12:51 AM

RE: can I run lipo batteries in a 14.4 traxxas e-maxx truck

You can but you can damage the lipos or your truck. If you are going to run lipos with the stock electronics you will need a LVC (low voltage cutoff), it keeps the lipos from dropping below 3.2v per cell

dannytraxxas 02-10-2010 01:03 AM

so can I run the 6400 megahurt 3s lipo?

dannytraxxas 02-10-2010 01:07 AM

I have been hearing about the 4 and 6s lipos but I haven't see. them for sale anywhere. When I go to brushless motors to I need to go to a brushless speed control as well?

dannytraxxas 02-10-2010 01:08 AM

I have been hearing about the 4 and 6s lipos but I haven't see. them for sale anywhere. When I go to brushless motors to I need to go to a brushless speed control as well?

mehrshad 02-10-2010 01:20 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: dannytraxxas

6s lipo will damage your brushed esc And yes you need brushless esc.....
for boosting the power you need a brushless conversion.
lipos just increase the runtime.

dannytraxxas 02-10-2010 01:27 AM

So I should stick with the 3s. Can you recommend a decent brand of battery to go with.

Slo-V Flyer 02-10-2010 02:21 AM

OK here's the thing. You can run two 2s lipos just like you would two 6-7 cell Nimh packs. You'd get better punch and either weight savings (from lighter batteries) or longer runtimes (more capacity).

BUT.... as mentioned unless you have a proper lipo voltage low voltage protection built into the ESC (most popular brushless ESC will) I would not run the risk of ruining a set of lipos by forgetting to check their voltage/temperatures during a run and draining past the 3.2v per cell (actually 2.8-3.0 and you're waiting for it to die right there).

Now, as for 2s or 3s or 4s.... you can run whatever your system can handle. BTW, 3s would be 11.1 volts, which (let's assume you get a LVC for lipos) would be slower than the recommended 14 volt dual 6-cell Nimh battery setup.. except that your truck will be lighter possibly (with whatever benefits that gives you of course).

I would suggest you wait, buy a good brushless system that supports lipo (in fact almost requires the good punch they have to run well) then get yourself some proper lipo batteries (around 4000+ mah and 20C discharge rate or so).

Some brushless combos:

- Castle Mamba Monster + 2200kv motor (a little pricey)
- Castle Mamba Max + 2200-2300kv Feigao 7XL or 8XL/whatever budget motor (cheaper, but motors are not as high quality.. BUT I run this and it's awesome).

Lipos:

- The cheap stuff like "Zippy" or "Rhino" 2s-4s lipos work great, are inexpensive alternatives to brand name Lipos and even good Nimh batteries, as long as you get the recommended size/discharge rate.

mehrshad 02-10-2010 09:04 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: dannytraxxas

So I should stick with the 3s. Can you recommend a decent brand of battery to go with.
No,your best choice is 2 X 2s 4000 or 5000mah but you need a LVC circuit.