Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
 Is buying a used nitro rc car a good idea? >

Is buying a used nitro rc car a good idea?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Is buying a used nitro rc car a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 09:49 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is buying a used nitro rc car a good idea?

Is it a good idea to buy a used nitro. They could have not broken in the engine and it may die on you and tehn you are screwed. Or are the people that sell pretty honest and dont try to rip you off??
Old 08-25-2005, 10:12 PM

Default RE: Is buying a used nitro rc car a good idea?

If you know something about rc cars and can see the thing in person it's often a way to get a good deal. If you are new to rc cars and don't really know a lot about them, it's a good way to get screwed.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:23 PM
My Feedback: (6)

So in other words id get screwd
Old 08-25-2005, 10:24 PM

yea i got a used tmaxx and it ripps
[&o]
Old 08-25-2005, 10:34 PM
My Feedback: (5)

lol for used stuff when you are new dont to it satisfy ureself with a brand new one get the knowledge of it and then get used so you know what to look for and was it something inpacticular you were going to buy or something
Old 08-25-2005, 10:40 PM
My Feedback: (13)

I went with used because I was on a limited budget, my T maxx was in fine shape other than being an old style. the engine ran but it was weak, but when you get a $400+ car for $235 you can afford to put some money into an engine or something, plus, a somewhat slower engine can allow you to learn how to drive a little more than getting a brand new overpowered car when you're used to cheapie cars that go walking speeds...
Old 08-25-2005, 10:43 PM

that is true but sometimes for a newbie to put 250 on a used truck and it cost them like 500 in replacement stuff i would have said you should have got a new one kinda like used real cars and trucks
Old 08-25-2005, 11:30 PM

I personally would never buy a used RC. By the way, i`m typing this post on my PSP. sweeeet.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:51 PM
My Feedback: (3)

I have sold multiple rc trucks on ebay . just sold a savage 4.6 and I have a revo selling now.. and I have always been straight forward and honest. just make sure you ask questions and they have the right answers if you buy used
Old 08-26-2005, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I buy used stuff only for the parts. Like rollers and stuff. [&:]
Old 08-26-2005, 11:01 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I think you should always plan on replacing the engine or sleeve/piston, but if the price is right, you can save HUNDREDS of dollars...way more than the cost of the engine.

Especially Maxxes, as you're usually getting one that has been hopped up to some degree (steer servo/braces/bulks/shocks/towers/wheels & tires/....). People often put $400-500 worth of stuff on them ($1K truck), but they'll never get more than, say, $500.

Same is kinda true for other vehicles, specially buggies & on-road, where you might get 5 sets of tires/wheels thrown in.

So there's no real answer to this...getting a stock maxx for $300-350 is kinda stupid when you figure in $150-200 for a new mill.

But $500 for a loaded maxx/savage might be great, as it would cost you $1300 to replicate it.

It depends more on what's in the package than the vehicle itself.

Dean
Old 08-27-2005, 09:45 AM

I do a lot of work for other people, and as an example of what I'm talking about, I recently received a used revo from a guy that wanted me to build a race truck out of it for him. After a complete teardown and inspection, his truck is going to take right at $250 in replacement stock parts just to bring it back up to decent condition. He's adding another $350 or so in aftermarket so the parts bill alone is going to break the $600 mark. He paid $350 for the truck, so without shipping charges and less body, prep, and paint he's already pushing a grand. I've seen good used trucks equipped with the aftermarket parts he wants sell for $500~$700. Granted, these trucks would need a few minor things to bring them back to 100%, but it would still be less than a grand by quite a margin. In short, the guy didn't know what to look for and it's going to wind up costing him much more to get what he wants. I offered to get him one of the deals I had seen, but he could only see the $ difference between the $350 he paid and the $500 or so for the other trucks. In his case he would have come out better to just buy a NIB revo and recover some the cost by parting out what was not going to be used. I recently did exactly that for another guy and he wound up with right around $200 in a brand new base platform after the unwanted parts were sold off. I see a lot of used trucks, buggies, etc., and I'd say 1 in 10 are decent deals, so you stand a 9 out of 10 chance of taking it in the shorts if you don't know what you are looking at.

Used does offer some killer opportunities for someone that knows what to look for and as deamdome pointed out, especially in the maxx arena. Many now see the maxx as obsolete and are dumping some very nice rigs for very little money. The same cannot be said for more current models like the revo. There are good deals, but demand for the revo is still high enough that plenty of rolling junk will go for way more than it's worth.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:34 PM

Well said