Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wing loading question for f3a style plane

hello all
    i am still very much a beginner and prefer building to flying. I have built an f3a style plane for my friend with these stats;
    dry total weight; 2600g
    wing area; 34dm2
    length; 150cm
    wingspan;140cm
    power; picco .60 with mousse can muffler

Now my question is this too heavy/high cubic wing loading? I have seen threads for the TWM spot on 50 with similar quoted weight but is this inclusive of fuel? +/- 300g of fuel makes a big difference in the equations but I don't know if 'flying weight' or 'all up weight' includes fuel. Thanks again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: wing loading question for f3a style plane

Check out the Wind 50 for reference:
    http://www.sebart.it/50E-class.html
    Joe Marri
    Enjoying all things aviation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In general, larger models are a bit more tolerant of heavier loading than smaller models...

Many years ago arule of thumb was developed stating that pattern models fly well at a loading of 1 lb (454 g) per 100 square inches (6.45 dm^2), or about 70 grams per dm^2. You can vary that +/- 5% more or less and still have a model that flew very well. Some of us prefer much lighter wing loading, closer to -10% of that figure, to achieve a rather light feel in flight. Some fly with a loading of at least +20% and the model still flies okay, just not as light feeling.

I'd say you are in the general vicinity.....the model won't feel feather light but should fly adequately...
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks very much that's encouraging. Just to ask again, does the commonly quoted 'flying weight' on many arfs include fuel?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For Pattern, the convention is sans fuel for glow or gas powered engines but with batteries for electric power.
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GaryBarry

Thanks very much that's encouraging. Just to ask again, does the commonly quoted 'flying weight' on many arfs include fuel?
    For electric it will often it will say 'flying weight minus batteries' since the user has the option to use lower capacity packs for light weight, or larger capacity packs for increased flight time.
    Joe Marri
    Enjoying all things aviation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks and fir a glow powered? I appreciate your answer Mattk but just to be sure any arf kits the quoted 'flying weight' is minus fuel for glow? if so that gives me a cubic wing loading of 13 which is high, perhaps a bit tip stally but ok i think in light of Mattk's response

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GaryBarry

thanks and fir a glow powered? I appreciate your answer Mattk but just to be sure any arf kits the quoted 'flying weight' is minus fuel for glow? if so that gives me a cubic wing loading of 13 which is high, perhaps a bit tip stally but ok i think in light of Mattk's responseΒ*
    For IC-powered models, the weights quoted are - virtually without exception - always without fuel.

Since the model is already built and the weight is not wildly out of whack, why not just go ahead and fly it?

Also, sounds like a great project! Is it your own design, scratch built? Can you post some photos/video?
    Bob