Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Help with Servos

Old 07-10-2013, 03:54 AM
new@hobbybarn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Servos

I am fighting and searching and being very patient in searching for inexpensive servos. My first major airplane purchase is a Magic 300L Extra Arf, and the second is a Giant Stik. Does anyone have or know someone who has 5 or 6 servos for sale maybe 4 Futaba s9001 and 1 Futaba s9202 or something close to those as far as torque and stuff goes. Please Advise
Old 07-10-2013, 04:06 AM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help with Servos

I would use hitech 645 mg's there good servos and you can find them reasonable..
Old 07-10-2013, 04:07 AM
JIMF14D

Try E-BAY for used ones if you can live without new ones.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:52 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am using these in a 90 sized 3D plane. They have been really good servos. They would be total over kill for torque, but the cost is hard to pass up.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d772.html

Even these are more than you need.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d228.html

Buzz.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:06 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I have been using some Hobbypartz Solar A109 90 oz/in. analog servos in my Big Stik 60 and so far they are performing quite well and I am impressed with their centering ability for such budget priced units.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:21 PM
new@hobbybarn

Thanks a lot for the input y'all the 8 dollar one is in my price range to.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:55 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: new@hobbybarn
I am fighting and searching and being very patient in searching for inexpensive servos.
My first major airplane purchase is a Magic 300L Extra Arf, and the second is a Giant Stik.
Does anyone have or know someone who has 5 or 6 servos for sale maybe 4 Futaba s9001
and 1 Futaba s9202 or something close to those as far as torque and stuff goes. Please Advise
Earlier today answered similar question on another forum as follows:

"As a good reference point start with the
. 2013 Hitec Servo Chart - pdf.

Then note that the cheaper servo, offered by others, are that way because of the cheaper motors used
which burn out quite quickly and are power hungry especially on start up or under load such as a diving turn.
Many an expensive model lost because of several cheap servo all under sudden load at same time,
dragging the voltage down.
Their owners then tend to blame their Tx or Rx in lieu of the servo demand killing the battery:
. Servo - FAQ : Which servo to buy - Peak Servo Current Test Results.
the bigger the cheap servo, the higher the power spikes.

Cheaper servo also use phenolic circuit boards inside,as opposed to the green coloured fiberglass circuit boards.
Phenolic board is brittle, and when subjected to stress, tends to crack.
Resultant hairline cracks are difficult to spot without say a 10x>12x microscope.
. Servo - Burnout. Cause & Prevention

Much more information available under sub sections
"Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - Causes and Cures"
"Servo - Alterations, Calculators, Databases, Leads, Repairs, Convert to an ESC or winch & FAQ."
e.g.
Servo - Database - Anders (650+)
Servo - Database (2168+ comparisons & Reviews)
Servo - Database + Download Winzip Program "Choisir ces servos"
Servo - Database Comparison Chart by Fatlion.com
Servo - Database Wiki rc-network
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links "

Alan T.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:27 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must agree with Allen. Cheap servos work well for awhile, and then when you least expect it- no control and no servo. Don't chance a good plane on a cheap servo.

You don't have to use the expensive servos that cost $39.99, but Hitec servos that are priced between $12 and $19 are good servos that will last a long time.

I use a servo for about a year then move it to something less demanding like throttle, rudder, flaps or retracts. I can lose anyone of those items and still land my plane. Loose ailerons or elevator and it get a little tougher to land.

Frank
Old 07-13-2013, 03:59 PM
JIMF14D

Very good advice!

I also find that in addition to the normal up/down, left right etc control checks that it does not hurt to once in a while to put a little restraining force with your hand on a surfaces and make sure things move quietly and smoothly with a little load. Every once in a while Iget an indication that a servo is sloppy or rough that way.

I stick with Hitec servos as Ihave had good luck over the years with them. The only electric failure Iever head was a throttle servo after sitting over the winter. Looked like fuel had gotten to it over the long term and it was erratic.

Jim D

Old 07-15-2013, 04:55 AM
new@hobbybarn

Cheap servo to mean right now means money cheap thats what I am needing, So if its a good rated servo and its 8 bucks i want that servo....Thanks for the input all good stuff
Old 07-15-2013, 06:11 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Next thread will be "cheap servos caused my plane to crash and I want the manufacturer to pay for it"
Old 07-15-2013, 04:24 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been around long enough to remember Hitec as being the "CHEAP" servo no one would recommend.

I have not had many servo failures in all of the time I have flown. I can count on one hand how many have failed in flight, yet, I would need more than my hands, feet and a few other people the number of times a servo showed signs of going bad before it stopped working.

I had (2) high dollar servos show signs that they were not doing well. I pulled them and sent them back to be looked at. Was told they would cost 1/2 the price of new ones to be fixed. That is the start of my not buying name brand servos and high dollar servos.

Anything can and does fail. Does not really matter what sticker is on it.

Buzz.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:43 PM
jmdairplane

not worth buying cheap servos use good ones its a no brainer good luck
Old 10-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Bob of Aurora

Hello guys, I have had 3 Hitec HS485 servos and 2 HS635 servos go bad in flight in the past 2 months. A couple were in the aileron channel and the planes crashed. A couple of them were in rudder or throttle positions and I was able to save the planes. I sent all of these servos back to Hitec and they repaired them for me-2 had bad motors and 2 had bad amplifiers (probably just a transistor). I have a HS 5985 that has a burnt transistor or something on the bottom of the circuit board that does not work but I have not returned that one to Hitec yet. 5 bad servos for one person in 2 months inexcusable. I have been using only the 4.8 volt battery packs not the 6 volt type so I have no idea what the problem is. Have any of you had similar problems? Thanks, Bob in Aurora, Colorado
Old 10-10-2013, 07:38 PM
A.T.

Originally Posted by Bob Brelsford
Hello guys, I have had 3 Hitec HS485 servos and 2 HS635 servos go bad in flight in the past 2 months.
A couple were in the aileron channel and the planes crashed.
A couple of them were in rudder or throttle positions and I was able to save the planes
. I sent all of these servos back to Hitec and they repaired them for me-2 had bad motors and 2 had bad amplifiers (probably just a transistor)
e person in 2 months inexcusable. I have been using only the 4.8 volt battery packs not the 6 volt type so I have no idea what the problem is.
Have any of you had similar problems? Thanks, Bob in Aurora, Colorado

As in post #7 07-12-2013 above, to many to be a coincidence.
What type and size of model? What engine type & size?

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 10-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Bob of Aurora

Hi From Bob in Aurora--I had these failures in 4 different airplanes with different engines. They were 40 size sport planes. I know of no common connections between the planes or servos. I even used two different transmitters. Hitec actually found and repaired the problems when I sent them in for repair. It seems strange to have this many failures. I wonder about Hitec's quality controls or engineering. Take care, Bob
Old 10-11-2013, 11:40 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Bob,
The only problem I have had with Hitec servos was about 5 years ago. I and 2 friends had failures of about 6ea HS-225 servos. All had motor failures. We sent 4 of the motors back to Hitec and never heard from them again. Our inspection showed the brushes in the motors were deforming. We checked some newer HS-225 servos and the motor design was changed and we had no more failures.

I have had no other servo failures of any brand in the past 20 years, Futaba, JR, Airtronics, Royal Electronics, Polk.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:46 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

A lot of guys, including me, use these Tower Pro SG-5010 servos with good results - never a failure with me, I use them on a 1/4 scale Cub for one - I have found them for $5 to $7.50 each - here is one link, check out specs and reviews - http://www.hobbypartz.com/kahaoubrmo14.html or http://www.valuehobby.com/review/product/list/id/368/

Most of my servo failures over the years have been the older JR's and Hitec's.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:50 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ronwc
A lot of guys, including me, use these Tower Pro SG-5010 servos with good results - never a failure with me, I use them on a 1/4 scale Cub for one - I have found them for $5 to $7.50 each - here is one link, check out specs and reviews - http://www.hobbypartz.com/kahaoubrmo14.html or http://www.valuehobby.com/review/product/list/id/368/

Most of my servo failures over the years have been the older JR's and Hitec's.
I recently bought two T- Pro SG 5010's as possible replacements for a some Solar A109's and found them to be very noisy, coarse running and did not center well in comparison to the Solars which are very quiet, smooth running and center extremely well for budget priced units.

Last edited by karolh; 10-13-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:36 AM
Bob of Aurora

Hi Guys, Thanks for the information. I will look into those other types. Bob in Aurora