Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1/16 Tank sales opportunity

The thread about the Tiger being returned to Bovington got me thinking about a sale opportunity.

I bet we see interest in Tigers and Sherman's ramp up after this movie is released . Retailers should make deals with your local Cineplex, and have caselots of these for sale in the lobby of the theatre. It might be a great way to attract some new tankers!!!!!!

There will be a pile of people moving through the theatre, and you might really capitalize on impulse buying. As we were discussing in another thread, we really need to do what we can to grow the market for the benefit of all. This Brad Pitt movie might be just the ticket to launch sales and interest in 1/16 tanks. Timing is perfect as the movie is released in November and that would be a great lead into Christmas. We might be able to attract hundreds of new tankers

Cheers

Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Why not advertise the hobby during the coming attractions?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Steppes View Post
    Why not advertise the hobby during the coming attractions?
    Yes it would be cool to see some of the different clubs tanks and battle fields on the big screen

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Now that is the way that capitalists EVERYWHERE should be thinking!! Those are great ideas guys! Keep the idea's coming!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    It's a great idea Dan and I completely agree that it's the time to strike, how is another matter.

Problem is there's no ad council for 1/16 tanks like other industries have. HL isn't going to do anything and Tamiya doesn't need to. In terms of malls and cineplexes, you're talking tens of thousands in rent for a kiosk, especially during the Holiday season. There's no way they're going to let you use valuable space during that crunch, nor will they take kindly to anything else considered soliciting.

It's really up to the retailers, but they're small and can't afford tie ins.

As a hobby, you normally advertise within the hobby itself, i.e. banner ads, google or trade magazine adverts. Getting new people has always been an issue, IMPS and AMPs stage make and takes to get kids involved or RC groups do fly ins. Now take that audience and cut it to near zero and you have RC tanks.

Grass roots with clubs in visible areas is the only way I see it growing like DAK does. Sows like WRAM stage demos of planes, helis and boats in their conventions, setting up a tank battle might be good. I push it amongst static modelers and will get a table at the next AMPS East to show off my work, but they usually invest too much time in PE and resin to want their builds to move.

Tying in with WOTs and starting a RC tank You Tube channel like Steve Doric did might scare up interest. Your work and videos are up to it, promote BattleArmor with it's own channel.
    What, me worry?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My thought I guess was more aimed at Mato or IMEX. Treat the theatre like a reseller for a month. Wholesale the tanks to them, and let them profit from the sales.

I guess that might be a kick in the head to your established retailers, but if it was a one time promotional thing that might expand the hobby base, your long term retailers could look at is as an effort to expand the hobby base in a way they might not be able to.

Also who ever just buys one tank!!!!, You set the hook at the theatre and the local retailer reels them in the rest of the year. The promotion might even include some sticker on each box promoting the local retailer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Just make sure they try to sell them on the way out, not before the movie starts. I have no desire to be in a theater with numbers of people fiddling with noisy packaging...

Why not augment the attendance by having a random drawing per showing where a lucky ticket holder gets to claim his Tiger after the performance.

Jerry
    - http://tanks.linite.com/

~ Ad maiorem Dei gloriam ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by ausf View Post
    Tying in with WOTs and starting a RC tank You Tube channel like Steve Doric did might scare up interest. Your work and videos are up to it, promote BattleArmor with it's own channel.
    Well I am retiring from my real job soon. That was one of the things I was thinking of. Starting up a weekly "From the Work Bench" video showing what is required to do the most common this and that with Heng Long tanks

I have learned a few things over the years, some of which has even changed my opinion on a few things, and I was going to voice my opinion on these. Metal tracks for example. Metal tracks are a slippery slope to a lot of other upgrades. I still use some metal tracks. The Mato Leo 2 tracks and the Sherman tracks they offer, not because they are metal, but because they are correct renderings. I have discovered that metal tracks add all kinds of other stresses to your electronics, and gears

We need a bigger voice and need get more people involved..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanque View Post
    Just make sure they try to sell them on the way out, not before the movie starts. I have no desire to be in a theater with numbers of people fiddling with noisy packaging...

Why not augment the attendance by having a random drawing per showing where a lucky ticket holder gets to claim his Tiger after the performance.

Jerry
    LOL about noisy packaging. Last thing in the world we need is reasons for a gunfight.

So I agree, one lucky draw winner after every showing, and sales on the way out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Wish i was retiring from my real job. No such luck for me. It will kill me long before I'm able to retire and have already been doing it for over 30 years.
    Tamiya Panther G, HL/Tamiya TigerI, WSN/HL T-34/85, WSN/Tamiya T-34/85, WSN/HL DBCRC2 T-34/85, HL/Tamiya Pershing, Mato/Tamiya Sherman,HL KV-1, HL Pz III, HL/Custom scratch JP, HE/Tamiya Abrams, HE/Tamiya LEO 2A5, Vs Abrams M1A1, Vs T-72, HL Bergepanthe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    On Jan 13, I stated ->
    A computer store owner for over 30 years, eight years ago I started selling Horizon RC air products because of their support. I am now selling Taigen tanks from IMEX because of their support.

Should I sell tanks at Oshkosh this summer along with my WWII maps? I too am not sure of the demand yet tanks will never sell if not shown and demonstrated.
    If only the Brad Pitt tank movie could be shown early at Oshkosh as was the Disney Planes movie last year.
    Did I tell you that I am having a tank battle at the Champaign Aviation Museum March 1st?
    http://www.champaignaviationmuseum.org/

Just trying to get people interested in RC armor.

Rick at The Hackery

I am trying to help now before I retire! With 500,000 people at EAA Oshkosh, how many tanks would I need to sell to help pay for the $2,500 booth cost for the week. IMEX has no interest in helping me out! At the past three RC swap meets, I have had some interest in tanks but no sales. Not sure tanks would be classified as an impulse item at a $100 above cost level. That said, the movie should help sales in general when it comes out later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by YHR View Post
    The thread about the Tiger being returned to Bovington got me thinking about a sale opportunity.

I bet we see interest in Tigers and Sherman's ramp up after this movie is released . Retailers should make deals with your local Cineplex, and have caselots of these for sale in the lobby of the theatre. It might be a great way to attract some new tankers!!!!!!

There will be a pile of people moving through the theatre, and you might really capitalize on impulse buying. As we were discussing in another thread, we really need to do what we can to grow the market for the benefit of all. This Brad Pitt movie might be just the ticket to launch sales and interest in 1/16 tanks. Timing is perfect as the movie is released in November and that would be a great lead into Christmas. We might be able to attract hundreds of new tankers

Cheers

Dan
    You've got a good thought here. I'd have a range though. My best guess would be VS type tanks (1/72) would probably sell the most just on account of cost. ...Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by YHR View Post
    Well I am retiring from my real job soon. That was one of the things I was thinking of. Starting up a weekly "From the Work Bench" video showing what is required to do the most common this and that with Heng Long tanks

I have learned a few things over the years, some of which has even changed my opinion on a few things, and I was going to voice my opinion on these. Metal tracks for example. Metal tracks are a slippery slope to a lot of other upgrades. I still use some metal tracks. The Mato Leo 2 tracks and the Sherman tracks they offer, not because they are metal, but because they are correct renderings. I have discovered that metal tracks add all kinds of other stresses to your electronics, and gears

We need a bigger voice and need get more people involved..
    I'll be your first subscriber "from the workbench!" As new to the hobby, the RC side of this is closer to a Swedish than English. Right now I'm trying to satisfy myself with the detailing and weathering side. I can really use help on the electronics and upgrades. Your idea would be fabulous at expanding the hobby.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by billinmillstonenj View Post
    . My best guess would be VS type tanks (1/72) would probably sell the most just on account of cost. ...Just a thought.
    This was my first thought too.

My foray back into modeling as an adult and ultimately into RC tanks (then planes, helis and next, subs) all can be traced back to me in a train shop looking for a Christmas present for my son. At the counter checking out, there was a 1/72 Dragon RC Tiger I. It immediately struck a chord with me and there was no way I wasn't leaving withhout it. I then modeled a Revell 1/72 Pz IV, then on to 1/35, 1/16, starting a business, etc.

it would be great if DML or VS set up a set of the tanks that were featured in the film, but things like that have to be coordinated well in advance.

Theatres are all corporate now, I doubt any manager would entertain any type of outside sale. Besides the fact that a trip to the theatre is getting pretty expensive, I don't think many would be dropping $150 on a HL as an impulse sale (nor would it be a pleasant experience for a first timer) while walking out.

How about a display on a few models in one of their cases with some info on them? Local libraries also usually have a spot for local people to promote things.

The best hobby shops I've ever been in all had outside things driving sales and building interest. One place growing up had races on Saturday nights behind the store and had the NYC Parks dept build a RC flying field. That's essentially what you need, a place like a small scale Danville in your neighborhood. Vendor, battlefield, support all in one.
    What, me worry?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    IF you can make $30.00 a tank it is $2500 divided by $30.00 =84 .3 tanks. so you can adjust your need to sell quantity based on that. Now that is your break even number. To make any profit you need to sell twice that, then subtract your finance costs ( money doesn't come free, even if it is your own, time, food, lodgings, assistants ) then the other expenses because 83 tanks won't fit in a volkswagen.
    If your already selling then I would take a small number say 10 to 15 and see how fast they go possibly. Your question is a loaded one. what happens if you go home with your inventory? what happens if it sells the first 10 or 15 people in.
    My first tank purchase was a 2 week decision, The guy I bought my tank from has stopped selling them because he says he never did make enough numbers to make them profitable.
    Yet years later he is printing money with RC Cars at a flea market

[
    Quote Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
    On Jan 13, I stated ->
    A computer store owner for over 30 years, eight years ago I started selling Horizon RC air products because of their support. I am now selling Taigen tanks from IMEX because of their support.

Should I sell tanks at Oshkosh this summer along with my WWII maps? I too am not sure of the demand yet tanks will never sell if not shown and demonstrated.
    If only the Brad Pitt tank movie could be shown early at Oshkosh as was the Disney Planes movie last year.
    Did I tell you that I am having a tank battle at the Champaign Aviation Museum March 1st?
    http://www.champaignaviationmuseum.org/

Just trying to get people interested in RC armor.

Rick at The Hackery

I am trying to help now before I retire! With 500,000 people at EAA Oshkosh, how many tanks would I need to sell to help pay for the $2,500 booth cost for the week. IMEX has no interest in helping me out! At the past three RC swap meets, I have had some interest in tanks but no sales. Not sure tanks would be classified as an impulse item at a $100 above cost level. That said, the movie should help sales in general when it comes out later this year.
    www.shop.immortalhobbies.com

North American Distributor Of The Clark TK20 and TK22 Boards

Are we giving Brad too much credit? I have a bad feeling about this... Of course we will love it because of tanks.

As a 30 year retail/marketing guy, I'm think the selling tanks in the lobby doesn't have a chance.

NOW for us here in my neck of the woods, my idea would be to approach the theater as a public service community oriented piece. Which local managers must be able to get done because I see them all the time when I go to our local theater. Give them a video to run showing the club battles and have literature by a display case of tanks in the lobby they could pick up on leaving the show. Just club business cards would do. That is what I am thinking for my local area. If groups did it at least around thier local areas we might generate some interest. Just a thought....
    Last edited by dgsselkirk; 02-01-2014 at 06:40 PM.
    "In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
    - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

1 x HL KT, 2 x HL Early Panther G, 1 x HL/PP Mk. IV 70 (V), 2 x WSN T-34/85, 1 x HL KV-1, 1 x HL T-34/85, 1 x 6th Hussars 2nd Armoured Brigade Sherman 105/ Jumbo hybrid. All Clark, all IR, all servo recoil.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I had a booth last year at Oshkosh selling my WWII sectional charts and promoting Grimes Field Urbana, Ohio with the two museums and café on the field. My map sales covered my costs and allowed me to not charge the museums a dime for promoting them. So, I did my public service last year. If I do it again, I would like to make some money. While I usually spend 3 days every year at the event, last year I more than doubled my days in Oshkosh.

My question for you is how many 1/16 scale tanks would you expect me to sell at this event. I would only be selling the Taigen line of tanks. The pricing on the tanks would range from$200 to $400. As the metal tanks are heavy, I am concerned about people not wanting to carry them for a great distance. While there won’t be any other tank dealers at the show, Horizon Hobby will be there showing RC aircraft. There will be over 900 vendors at the event selling mainly aviation related items.
    http://airventure.org

Many be Taigen should step up and help me display/ show /sell their tanks at this 500,000 person weeklong event?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oshkosh.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	1964557
    Last edited by twoplanekid; 02-02-2014 at 06:53 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Test the theory. Set up a "street vendor" table outside a showing of "Monument Men". If you sell a few tanks ( probably Shermans would do), consider the possibilities.
    "Monument Men" isn't about tanks but it's period based.

Jerry
    - http://tanks.linite.com/

~ Ad maiorem Dei gloriam ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the AAF Tank Museum in Danville Virginia is the flagship facility for RC Tank combat. Tamiya themselves don't have a nicer ground than this. We should all do our part to promote the existence and quality of this field as it serves as an inspiration to RC tankers all over the world. Hopefully, we can get more footage and imagery coming out of there for this purpose.
    Chung-Leong

Tamiya Tiger I, Pershing, Panther G and Leopard 2A6

The Singapore (SG) Tankies Facebook Page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sgtankies/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The idea was to capitalize on the Movie, and bring our Hobby out in the public eye, Hundreds of people streaming out of a movie theatre where the main character is a Sherman tank, may just have a passing interest in an RC battle tank.

Because of licensing etc. the idea may be impossible. Perhaps there already is a deal worked out with the producers of this movie and Walmart will be full of "Fury" WWII tank toys. If a deal like that has already been struck, then there is no way a guy will be able to pitch tanks from the lobby of a theatre.

I am just commenting on the fact that we have an opportunity to get our Hobby out in front of people when there might be a heightened interest. Pehaps Danville should have a "Fury" event when the movie is released,

Anyone who has ever posted an RC tank video on youtube, should go back in and add "Fury" to the metadata of the video. A lot of people may be using that word to search out the movie.
    Last edited by YHR; 02-02-2014 at 10:35 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    and what do you do if Danville is a gabillion miles away? its great for you local guys but the hobby needs to grow outside of this venue to be successful.

I don't think you stand a snowballs chance in hades to sell tanks at a theater regardless of what is playing unless you paid for the floor space. the floor space is going to be way way above any profit you made.
    a crowd of 500,000 I bet you sell a lot less tanks than you think you will.

As for showing off the hobby you are better off driving a tank down a grass boulevard or a beach, trust me you will get lots of interest

Quote Originally Posted by cleong View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the AAF Tank Museum in Danville Virginia is the flagship facility for RC Tank combat. Tamiya themselves don't have a nicer ground than this. We should all do our part to promote the existence and quality of this field as it serves as an inspiration to RC tankers all over the world. Hopefully, we can get more footage and imagery coming out of there for this purpose.
    www.shop.immortalhobbies.com

North American Distributor Of The Clark TK20 and TK22 Boards

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyDude View Post
    and what do you do if Danville is a gabillion miles away? its great for you local guys but the hobby needs to grow outside of this venue to be successful.

I don't think you stand a snowballs chance in hades to sell tanks at a theater regardless of what is playing unless you paid for the floor space. the floor space is going to be way way above any profit you made.
    a crowd of 500,000 I bet you sell a lot less tanks than you think you will.

t
    I would agree with you on that! And that is why I would need help from Taigen to help cover some of the costs. Other Taigen dealers would sell many more tanks after the event resulting from this display than I would at the event. Yet, if one doesn't advertise and promote, one doesn't grow the business.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
    I would agree with you on that! And that is why I would need help from Taigen to help cover some of the costs. Other Taigen dealers would sell many more tanks after the event resulting from this display than I would at the event. Yet, if one doesn't advertise and promote, one doesn't grow the business.
    That is really the point of the thread. There is only so much one individual can do, and there in lies the dilemma our hobby faces. Small profit margins, small base, leaving nothing extra on the table for promotion.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yea we know it will be a big boost. We have stuff planned as well as plenty of trade shows. I have 3 alone this month, the New York Toy Fair, then one more in NY right after that, then one in GA a week after. Then it continues like that for the rest of the year. We also will be visiting Danville sometime this year too, although I'm not sure when yet. I'll make sure and bring a bunch of goodies for everyone to look at.
    Tech, Support, and Sales for IMEX Model Company/Taigen Tanks
    1-800-458-5785 or 352-754-8522 (9-6PM EST Mon-Fri)
    (Too many tanks to list, but atm I am above 30)