Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Heng Long Abrams, Challenger 2 and T90 on "Battlefield Debris" course >

Heng Long Abrams, Challenger 2 and T90 on "Battlefield Debris" course

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long Abrams, Challenger 2 and T90 on "Battlefield Debris" course

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 01:25 PM

Received 268 Likes on 156 Posts
Default “Battlefield Debris” course vs. Heng Long Abrams, Challenger 2 and T90

For those of you who have been following my for fun comparison testing of the Heng Long Abrams, Challenger 2 and T90 here is another additions. I took the "Ditch and Bomb Crater" course and enhanced its difficulty with steeper climbs, looser dirt, pits of deep charcoal ash, simulated walls with rebar and other interesting debris that might be found on a battlefield.

To review the Abrams, Challenger 2 and T90 all have faired well in past testing with the Challenger 2 showing the best overall performance even with its "handicap" of factory plastic tracts. It was followed closely by the T90 then Abrams which had issues with its long nose digging into the ditch wall sides and stopping forward progression.

On this round of testing I expected similar results but that did not happen. The difficulty enhancements made to the course caused minor problems to become big ones and thus each tank weakness showed bright. That is with the exception of the Abrams where its longer nose now became a benefit to overcoming obstacles. I have to add here that since the last testing the Abrams used (green one in pictures) during the preceding tests had some suspension modification and though I did run it in this test, these modifications did greatly effect it performance. I used another Abrams with stock suspension geometry and running the same motors, gearbox and track. This was done to keep the testing reasonably fair and similar to the last test between the three Heng Long model designs.

On this "Battlefield Debris" course the T90 in short failed miserably. Its low ground clearance, long barrel and lack of suspension flexibility caused it to get stuck repeatedly in ways it was not able to free itself and needed recovery help (see photos below). The Challenger 2 also got repeatedly stuck on the steeper climbs with looser dirt and on many of the obstacles due in large part to its front/rear tow hook and rear fuel drums get caught up, it too needed recovery help. I will say that the Challenger 2 issues with climbing and some of the obstacles was do to the plastic tracts just not gripping. I do not believe it would have had to be recovered as much had it been running the same track as both Abrams.

The primary Abrams for this test (tan one in photos) had issues with its low ground clearance (noted about the Abrams R/C model in the last testing) causing it to become high centered, but only needing to be recovered once. All other times it was able to recover itself by simply backing off the obstacle or terrain feature and reseting its approach angel. It had no other issues with any of the obstacles and made short work of the course. The longer nose that had been a issues actually helped it slide up and onto many of the obstacles were its metal/rubber padded track could then grip and pull the Abrams over and though.

The secondary Abrams for the test (green one in photos) had a modified suspension which provided for far greater suspension flexibility and just over 1/4" (~7MM) of additional ground clearance. This made for a tank that was unstoppable. It had no issues with any obstacle or terrain feature and was just a "HOOT" to drive.

As always feel free to add any constructive input or ask questions.

Below are some of the highlight photos from the tests. More photos will follow shortly, hope you enjoy them:

Above T90 getting stuck on burned out tank.

Above Challenger 2

Last edited by Fsttanks; 04-11-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:45 PM

Additional photos of the Heng Long T90 on the "Battlefield" test course:

Above Heng Long T90 getting its barrel stuck in the side of a ditch

Above T90 barrel getting stuck on rebar as it attempts to simply drive past and T90 climbing first obstacle of the day.

Above Heng Long T90 high centered on drain pipe. One of many times it had to be recovered.

Heng Long T90. My favorite photo from its testing session. By the way it was high centered and could not move forward. It was able to back out of this one.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 04-11-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:49 PM

Additional photos of the Heng Long Challenger 2 on "Battlefield" test course:

Above stuck on burned out tank.

Above Challenger 2 stuck crossing ditch and needed recovery. Fuel drums causing the issues.

Above crossing concert & rebar wall

Above one of my favorite photos of the Challenger 2 on a tiered wall & rebar obstacle climb. It was stuck on some "rebar" and needed to be recovered.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 04-11-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:59 PM

Additional photos of both Heng Long Abrams on the "Battlefield" test course:

Last edited by Fsttanks; 04-11-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default World of Tanks

Haha to be fair, I don't usually see tanks driving ON TOP OF TANKS, of course they would get stuck on em, except for WoT haha. But that is a cool obstacle course without a doubt, tho I think a driving over a burned out car would have been more realistic for a tank to drive over on an obstacle course. Very impressed by the suspension on the green Abrams, looks sick, just wowed by the pic of it in action. You should record the tanks in action on the courses tho and upload on YouTube, I would love to watch it. Just my opinion. (:
The following users liked this post:
Harquebus (02-02-2022)
Old 04-13-2018, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by R3Dsoviet
Haha to be fair, I don't usually see tanks driving ON TOP OF TANKS, of course they would get stuck on em, except for WoT haha. But that is a cool obstacle course without a doubt, tho I think a driving over a burned out car would have been more realistic for a tank to drive over on an obstacle course. Very impressed by the suspension on the green Abrams, looks sick, just wowed by the pic of it in action. You should record the tanks in action on the courses tho and upload on YouTube, I would love to watch it. Just my opinion. (:
Thanks for stopping by and letting me know what you thought. I am glad you enjoyed the photos of this test. This is the second in a series I have posted here with these tanks. I learned from the prior testing that these tanks would exceed at dominating any scale obstacles the real tank might find a bit difficult and make the obstacles look boring in photos/video. So I went for the dramatic effect and used wrecked tanks as they make for more interesting "in action" photos. The majority of the photos I use are video "screen shots" so I do have a far amount video of all the tanks on this and others test courses, but based on the lack of interest I see here for modern r/c tanks it is not worth the extra time to edit the videos and post on YouTube. There is so little interest in modern r/c tanks here I even cut this write up down from three separate reviews to just one short synopsis and basic highlight photos.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fair point (: shame about people not being interested more in the modern tanks, I personally love all era of tanks. I hope there will be a T-14 Armata 1/16 rc in the near future, magnificent looking beast to me, I saw your other posts too of prior testing.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:22 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

I like modern tanks! I like all tanks. I too have an outside area where I "test" my tanks.

I have an Abrams, and I like the duffel bags riding in the stowage basket on your green Abrams. Where did you get them?

Please post some movies of yours in action. I have some movies of modern and WW2 tanks posted on my tank web page. Click link below.

Last edited by Pah co chu puk; 04-13-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
I like modern tanks! I like all tanks. I too have an outside area where I "test" my tanks.

I have an Abrams, and I like the duffel bags riding in the stowage basket on your green Abrams. Where did you get them?

Please post some movies of yours in action. I have some movies of modern and WW2 tanks posted on my tank web page. Click link below.
The cloth duffel bags are very old I have had them for over ten years sitting on a old display tank tucked away in a box in my storage unit. I thought I would dig them out and use them again on both my Abrams. Unfortunately the company "Build A Rama" that made them no longer does. I ran short by a few duffles in having enough for both my Abrams so I had to reproduced a few that are close matches, they ended up being relatively easy to make once I found the right thread count cloth.

My videos are raw footage more intended to capture screen shots and would need editing before I could post them. This would take more time than I have right now. But maybe in a few months when my work load lightens up.

I took a look at your web page and enjoyed the videos of your tank playground. I would be too tempted to leave the roads and drive cross country through some of the brush over and down rocks to give the suspension and tracks a workout. It would be fun.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 04-13-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:36 AM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Off road driving is not the only challenge at Tankland...

Old 04-14-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow! Tankland is beautiful.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:37 PM

Started work on Part 3 of the test course “Step Climbs and Rock Garden”. This is the first obstacle built and it is designed to punish the suspension system. Shown here with one of my Abrams being used to cover the structure so as to not give away the excitement of seeing in use during the review write up. This obstacle is designed to be attempted from each compass point (at 45degree increments N NW W SW...). Yes I did drive the Abrams onto but not completely over and throw the obstacles,did it for photos and it was in the expected easy directions N to S. The drop in front of the tank is over 6” and did not want to chance another tank needing repairs this week.

Going to be a week or so before testing starts as both the Challenger 2 and T90 are down needing repairs. Challenger needs new road wheels and suspension arms both are badly worn out and the T90 has a broken sprocket that was repaired but I do not want to push it hard.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:00 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi, All your tanks are good looking, dedicated model work, and I like the Abrams Tusk I. Enjoy all the images, a lot, and as they say, better to run over your own tanks than mine! John

Old 04-16-2018, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An off topic question, are the tracks between those three interchangeable? BTW, those pics you shared are awesome!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by mizuinu
An off topic question, are the tracks between those three interchangeable? BTW, those pics you shared are awesome!
Yes and No. The Challenger 2 can only run the “Abrams/Leopard” track with the two piece metal sprocket that has two additional rubber “spacers” added. It takes under five minutes to install the spacers. Or it can run the “Abrams” sprocket in place of its own. The T90 can run the “Abrams/ Leopard” track but it needs a different sprocket and a slight modification to the hull around where the drive shaft passes though ( write up on this is forthcoming ). Both will need the track length set accordingly. The Challenger 2 needs two more links and the T90 needs six or eight (?) links less, can’t remember exactly right now.

I have Abrams track set ups for both. They are far different performing tanks when running the metal/rubber padded “Abrams/Leopard” track. With plastic track about equal. The T90 though can achieve close to the same grip performance as the “Abrams/Leopard” track if the plastic or metal track is modified with the addition of silicon pads added to the links. This also has the benefit of retaining lighter weight and a higher top speed. The T90 in the testing has plastic track with the silicon pad modification.

Sorry that is the shortest I could make the answer and cover the Yes an No of it all.