Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Composite P-47 scratch build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Composite P-47 scratch build

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 04:21 AM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Composite P-47 scratch build

A few more.......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95701.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	377.0 KB
ID:	1868113   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43091.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	1868114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm21837.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	1868115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52661.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	1868116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny25593.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	1868117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct17945.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	1868118  
Old 03-30-2013, 05:17 AM
flypilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will there be a kit available?
Old 03-31-2013, 01:13 AM
Oakey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy easter guys. hope all in sunny qld is good and drying out after all the flooding.

cheers

c
Old 03-31-2013, 03:58 AM
P4Patti

Hey Mick - that's such a great looking plane (even if I do say so myself!) I just love the red wing tips too even though technically they weren't there on the original. I flew Richard's "Charlie M" on Friday and it was such a blast. I really lost my nerve after killing off Slick Chick but have grown some again and am back into it.

I've started a new project - a Corsair plug to mould using the method that Richard has been trial and error learning over the last few years and is now documenting on his latest Lightning project
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11452987

I'm going to make an F4U-7 cowl so I can do the French 1950's version which has the yellow and black stripes around the belly and wings. I just love colourful planes! I may start a build thread on that one - I've just started on the one piece wing and -2.2m. I would have liked to start on the P-51 but the Corsair was already drawn up in 3D ready to start and I think I need some more flying experience before tackling that one anyway.

Hey Andrew, great you made it to the Gratton event, shame you weren't able to get up close and personal to Rough & Ready. We have our warbird weekend on here in Bundy 2nd weekend in June - it's a long weekend too if you want to come on up. Plenty of camping at the field! There'll be Charlie M flyng and hopefully Mick will make it down with Rough & Ready as well.

cheers
Patti
Old 03-31-2013, 04:10 AM
Oakey

drying out, phew, spunds like you guys are right back into it.

all the best

Craig
Old 03-31-2013, 02:35 PM
P4Patti

Hi Craig - yes drying out at last and so great to see some sun again and have some decent flying weather. Yep we're back into it and there's even a bigger shed on the drawing board, we've run out of room in the other one! That will make such a difference having a great working space.

Flypilot - no kit planned at the moment , maybe when we retire! We will have to do another mould of the P-47, it's such a great plane but these moulds were the first we'd done and have learnt so much. They're just not up to the job of turning planes out efficiently and without quite a bit of hand work to finish and fit.

cheers
Patti
Old 04-01-2013, 12:57 AM
flypilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: P4Patti

Flypilot - no kit planned at the moment , maybe when we retire! We will have to do another mould of the P-47, it's such a great plane but these moulds were the first we'd done and have learnt so much. They're just not up to the job of turning planes out efficiently and without quite a bit of hand work to finish and fit.

cheers
Patti
Thanks for the reply, A shame as I am sure there is a market for such a great model...Relly look forward to what you guys produce next..

Old 04-02-2013, 05:04 AM
BOLTMAN

I'm going to make an F4U-7 cowl so I can do the French 1950's version which has the yellow and black stripes around the belly and wings. I just love colourful planes! I may start a build thread on that one - I've just started on the one piece wing and -2.2m. I would have liked to start on the P-51 but the Corsair was already drawn up in 3D ready to start and I think I need some more flying experience before tackling that one anyway.

cheers
Patti
That French colour scheme is pretty cool. Does this mean you have gone off the Partenavia?
Old 04-02-2013, 05:09 AM
BOLTMAN

there's even a bigger shed on the drawing board, we've run out of room in the other one! That will make such a difference having a great working space.

cheers
Patti
Will that be all composite & electric???? Seriously though I reckon your shed is not big enough for 2 people both working on reasonably large models. My shed is 9mx6m and I could use more space too. Part of my issue is not having a hangar for the full size aircraft, there is stuff that belongs in the hangar which has to be in my shed until we get a hangar.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:18 AM
eeleyeagle1

Hey Andrew, great you made it to the Gratton event, shame you weren't able to get up close and personal to Rough & Ready. We have our warbird weekend on here in Bundy 2nd weekend in June - it's a long weekend too if you want to come on up. Plenty of camping at the field! There'll be Charlie M flyng and hopefully Mick will make it down with Rough & Ready as well.

cheers
Patti
Hi Patti,

Unfortunately I have other commitments for June long weekend. I look forward to watching any progress on the F4U as I am sure it will be a beauty just like the P47 and all yours and Richards other projects, a credit to you both.

Andrew
Old 04-06-2013, 03:30 AM
P4Patti

Hi Boltman

Yes, I've ditched the Partenavia as I decided it would be too boring to fly for the effort of making a mould. Admittedly it'd be a great warbird trainer for landing practise with flaps but I actually used to fly Richard's Partenavia when I was learning and was coping with the landings then - most of the time! By having a really good mould for the Corsair, there can be a spare one waiting in the wings (so to speak) so if something were to happen to it it'd be quickly replaced. For us it's cheaper to lay one up than to buy an ARF covered in iron-on anyway - once the moulds are made. I've started cutting the ribs for the wing plug and we've decided to make a small centre section mock up where the undercarriage goes. We want to check the mounting, the fit of the undercarriage and the gear doors to make sure everything is properly fitting and aligned before making a 2.2m mould.

Hey, it's not the size of the shed that counts, it's what you do with it lol. I've seen some pretty tiny work spaces that people have to cope with. Thankfully, we don't have to fit full size aircraft into ours.

cheers
Patti
Old 05-26-2013, 02:01 AM
EeleyEagle

Hi Patti,

A little off topic but I was just browsing through the August 2012 edition of RCM&E and came across the On Silent Wings section and spotted a section in the "Fill that Seat" article about you, Richard and Katherine. It speaks very highly of you all and your talents. Congratulations to you all.

Andrew
Old 06-24-2013, 01:28 AM
BOLTMAN

After a bit more flying of Rough & Ready at the Bundaberg Warbird weekend I have decided to convert R & R to petrol ( Gas to Americans ).

The decision came about due to the differences in flying an electric warbird that I have detailed above in regard to the power characteristics and throttle use. As my immediate future warbird project will be petrol and I will be using R & R as a lead in / practise model for that project, I want R & R to be as similar as possible to my next model.

Don't get me wrong here, I am not saying there is anything wrong with the electric setup, it is just different to where I am going next. It has been a good experience to operate and compete with a large electric warbird and we have definitely proven it is both viable & practical.

So all the electrics have been removed, see the attached pics. All the electric gear you see in the pic comes up to a total weight of 5.4kg or 11lb 14oz. As all of this was in the nose, I am expecting to remove the 125 grams ( 4 1/2 Ounces ) of lead from the tail.

I have ordered a DLE 55cc petrol motor which should arrive in the next few days. Also required is batteries for the radio gear as it was previously running off a BEC.

This conversion will also involve shortening the engine box and installing a new firewall, also a fuel tank & associated plumbing and a throttle servo and choke set-up.

Name:	Qn38341.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	1894632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62605.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	1894633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55467.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	1894634  
Old 06-24-2013, 07:32 PM
P4Patti

Hey Mick

Rough and Ready, soiled for the first time!!

It will be interesting to see how the conversion goes and how it works with the petrol in it. Richard is keen to do a bigger version after the Lightning and all going well that will be available for others and no doubt others will want to put the petrol engines into them. Your R&D will be useful - so I'll let you off

cheers
Patti
Old 06-24-2013, 07:52 PM
P4Patti

Hi Andrew

I've just realised how slack I've been and haven't even replied to your posting, sorry!

Yes, Simon Cocker did speak highly of us in his article but I'm afraid I can't return the compliment! I must say that with all my dealings with people in the modelling world from dozens of countries I have had extremely few negative outcomes, but unfortunately this was one of them.
We're not actually making the pilots to sell anymore as they are just too time consuming and Katherine is at uni now and doesn't have the time to do the sewing for me. We are making a new Mustang pilot for ourselves at the moment - just so that we don't forget the process! It's a head of George Preddy.

Here's a link to our club's warbird weekend held a couple of weeks ago where you can see Rough & Ready alongside her sister "Charlie M" that Richard is now flying. http://bundabergaeromodellers.weebly...june-2013.html

cheers
Patti
Patti
Old 06-24-2013, 11:55 PM
G T

Hi Andrew

I've just realised how slack I've been and haven't even replied to your posting, sorry!

Yes, Simon Cocker did speak highly of us in his article but I'm afraid I can't return the compliment! I must say that with all my dealings with people in the modelling world from dozens of countries I have had extremely few negative outcomes, but unfortunately this was one of them.
We're not actually making the pilots to sell anymore as they are just too time consuming and Katherine is at uni now and doesn't have the time to do the sewing for me. We are making a new Mustang pilot for ourselves at the moment - just so that we don't forget the process! It's a head of George Preddy.

Here's a link to our club's warbird weekend held a couple of weeks ago where you can see Rough & Ready alongside her sister ''Charlie M'' that Richard is now flying. http://bundabergaeromodellers.weebly...june-2013.html

cheers
Patti
Patti

Thanks for sharing the link to your club,, some great models at the event ! the P47's look great and i will be watching with interest on the larger one you may be producing
Old 06-28-2013, 10:03 PM
BOLTMAN

The DLE 55 engine has arrived. I have decided to keep the cylinder back and the dummy radial intact as much as possible, to achieve this I am going to get a small prop shaft extension made up.

Having taken so much weight out of the nose I can see C of G problems coming, so to help with this the servo tray has been removed and I will have to extend the pull-pull cables to suit a new servo location now in front of the C of G. Previously the servo tray was at the rear of the hatch area.

Attached pics show the fuse now completely gutted..........

Name:	Db84469.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	1895983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41957.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	1895984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66098.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	1895985  
Old 07-18-2013, 04:59 AM
BOLTMAN

Got a new servo tray made & fitted. Servos now located in front of the C of G.

Name:	Qo38942.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	1901744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19919.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	1901745  
Old 07-18-2013, 05:04 AM
BOLTMAN

The prop shaft extension made by a mate is done. This allowed me to finalise the distance back to the new firewall. The engine box was cut back and a new firewall fitted. I have left as much of the engine box forward of the firewall as possible as this will form part of the new cowl mount. The cowl was previously mounted to the original firewall. The part of the engine box removed & original firewall can be seen in the last pic.

Name:	Vt57258.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1901746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz81108.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	1901747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90748.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	1901748  
Old 07-18-2013, 05:29 AM
YAT-28E

Boltman,
Is there any concerns of the prop shaft extension creating a problem with bearings down the road? I always wanted t o add on a nitro engine but feared the prop out so far may cause issues.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2013, 05:41 AM
BOLTMAN

YAT,
The extension is only 40mm ( about 1 1/2 inch ). I don't think it will be problem on this style of model. I would not be keen to do it on an aerobatic model where sudden & continual changes in direction are imposing alot of load on the bearings.
I guess time will tell........
Old 07-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Bundy

Looking good there Boltman. I'm really interested to see how this all comes together with weight , balance , sound and performance.

We received an email from a Bundy club member last night who said he saw 'Rough and Ready' in an American model plane mag with a write up on the Gratton airshow. He can't remember exactly which mag but someone might have seen it and can pass on the details.

Not much real plane building going on here at the moment but lots of activity for future plane building. The new hanger is powering along and we can't wait to get into it and start serious plane building again. We've ended up doing most of the building ourselves. You can spend a month with just the two of us doing the work or get builders in to do it in a week but wait 3 weeks for them to show up! More fun doing it ourselves anyway if a little tired and sore at the end of the day. The money we save doing it ourselves will go along way towards some fancy building tables and new tools.

RAP

Name:	Us53190.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	1901890  
Old 07-18-2013, 05:13 PM
BOLTMAN

HI Bundy RAP,

I plan on having R&R back in the air for our warbird weekend which is August 17 & 18. I hope you are still planning on coming up for that. I will need to visit you guys before then as I would like to do a check flight after all the changes at your field where there is a bit more room. We will also have to re-certify R&R. I have something on everyweekend between now & then so I might have to sneak down for a Wednesday fly.

Re the magazine coverage, I have just sourced a copy of one of the English mags that covered the Gratton Invitational and it does have a pic of R&R in it. It is RC Model World - May issue. I got a back issue from Traplett Australia.

The new hangar is looking good, you guys won't know yourselves with that much room.

Cheers

Mick
Old 07-31-2013, 06:41 AM
BOLTMAN

The next step was to pin the new firewall into the engine box using 3mm ( 1/8" ) carbon fibre rod.

Name:	Wu61975.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1904928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65387.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1904929  
Old 07-31-2013, 06:53 AM
BOLTMAN

Next I have added 12mm ply extended sides and a 3mm ply extended top to the engine box, followed by a 12mm ply bulkhead mounted on the front of the newly extended engine box. This bulkhead is what the cowl will be bolted to. The new sides & top added to the engine box have also been dowelled to the firewall and original engine box with 6mm wood dowel to ensure they don't go anywhere, the new bulkhead to carry the cowl has been glued & screwed in place.

As I am expecting to need nose weight I have made all of this really solid so that it will be able to carry battery packs and the expected lead ballast.

Name:	Rp44275.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	1904931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32892.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	1904932  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.