Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Don smith B17G

Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 AM
paulo 34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don smith B17G

Hi everybody.After 4 years building a Don Smith B17G, i'm about doing the maidenFor the build, i use Wing span epxy and clear parts that fit pretty good on the DS design.My bomber is nearly 38lbs and powered by Four laser 70.using APC 12x7 propeller it seems to have enough powered as static test show that engine run very nice.I have problems to find the nice CG and want to know if DS B17 builders follow don smith indication.My model is balanced 2cm ahead DS indication.If anyone can help me ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83262.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1903278  
Old 07-23-2013, 11:19 AM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Don smith B17G

Your CG should cause no issue. If I remember correctly it normally is 28% MAC but a bit further ahead is safe. On your first take off be sure and let the plane get plenty of speed before lift off as the .70s will do the job but without much reserve power. The nose may want to rise steeply after lift off as I believe the stabilizer doesn't have enough positive incidence as designed. Mine required a good amount of down trim elevator. Let us know aboout the maiden. Good luck. Mitch
Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 AM
paulo 34

Thanks a lot i'll make a full report as soon as my B17 will fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99941.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	1903566  
Old 07-25-2013, 08:13 AM
luckyb

Had a Don Smith 17 for 12 yrs. many flights. Mitch is right....mine needed much down trim......you have plenty of power for 38 lbs. Mine was 60. Flew well, had a tendency to hunt when going straight. Easy to land.....keep the speed up....it slows rapidly. Great aircraft.....enjoy......Doug