RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   1/5 scale TF P-51B "DING HAO!" feat Inzpan cockpit (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9091354-1-5-scale-tf-p-51b-%22ding-hao-%22-feat-inzpan-cockpit.html)

ProScaleRc 09-13-2009 05:10 AM

1/5 scale TF P-51B "DING HAO!" feat Inzpan cockpit

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I know there are plenty of build threads featuring Top Flite P-51's, so I'm hoping mine is a little somewhat different.

My plan is to build a 1/5 scale P-51B in the "DING HAO!" lively. (see pic)

I'm starting with a Top Flite P-51D ARF stripped back. The "b" conversion is a Spychalla Razerback, with a Malcolm Hood. I will also use a Spychalla 5.5" cowl covering a DA-50 with a Keleo scale exhaust.

The retracts are Robart with Aerotech wheels nestled in scale wheel wells.

The model will be glassed, then detailed using an Aerotech Models detail kit, then panel lined and riveted. The lively will be part airbrushed and part Aeroloft dry decals.

I'm sure all of these features are nothing new, so I will be using one added feature that I have not seen anywhere else, and newly released Inzpan scale cockpit.

I'm hoping all of these different features will create a one of a kind scale model.

Stay tuned for weekly updates.

Cheers,

James

ProScaleRc 09-13-2009 05:14 AM

RE: 1/5 scale TF P-51B

1 Attachment(s)
I originally wanted to go with a P-51D, (see pic) but after seeing so many D's out there I had to do something unique.

ProScaleRc 09-13-2009 05:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My Inzpan cockpit arrived today, WOW, the quality is so amazing. I love it. The only thing I will change is the seat, as the B model has a squared off seat. As my model will be weathered I will also weather the cockpit. The Inzpan box included a tin of paint, so this will make life easy. Nice! :D check out www.inzpan.com

ProScaleRc 09-13-2009 05:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the donk... now that's the stuff!

ProScaleRc 09-13-2009 05:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I felt rather nervous cutting the top off the fuselage. All I could think of is I hope the tail goes back on straight. LOL Well the top is off and the Spychalla razorback fits on beautifully; thanks Leo! I've had a big weekend and I'm getting tired so I will put the tail on tomorrow night.

jeff naul 09-13-2009 10:03 AM

Are you going to make the changes to the wing also?

GaryM 09-13-2009 10:10 AM

Cockpit looks awesome, very interesting project

GaryM

joey_snaproll 09-13-2009 12:39 PM

Way to go James, I'm Glad you went with the B model. nice cockpit.I'll be watching . I have the razor back for for my bird and it's nice. Are you making a sliding canopy or gluing the canopy together? post lot's of pictures.

Joe

Spychalla Aircraft 09-13-2009 02:23 PM

James,

Nice project. I am biased of course because it has my parts on it, but still nice project. Regarding glass on your fuse. Having just put a cowl on my own TF Mustang recently I have an opinion regarding the procedure. I bonded on the cowl, filled the gap flush with lightweight Ultimate Bondo (Auto Body Filler) then overlapped the glass about 1/2 inch onto the cowl. This created a situation where I had to sand and feather that edge in. I would not do it this way again. My recommendation would be to glass the fuse first and trim the edge, then bond on the cowl and the razorback. Filling the seam without the overlap will be easier. Putty can just extend to whichever side is lower. You will have a hard surface to sand against with the glassed balsa versus just balsa alone. Most of the putty is sanded off so weight is not an issue. Just my recommendation and the way I plan to do my next one. Leo

langerl 09-13-2009 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi James!
Glad to see a P-51B/C in production; we don't get many of these.
Say, I noticed you are installing a Keleo scale exhaust. It looks like a Mark 2 or 3. I had considerable trouble with this unit holding together with a DA50 and after working with Kelvin at Keleo, he provided each upgrade (Mark 1-4) at no cost to me. Great guy; he stands behind his products. Anyhow, if you can, check with him to avoid a LOT of headaches with the Keleo. I'm flying the Mark 4 unit and it appears to be holding up (it now has a reinforcing tab on the RIGHT bank of the mufflers also. This is inserted into a two-piece upper right standoff; also provided by Kelvin for this unit).
Hope this saves you some problems!

Here's my TF P51 - Contrary Mary; the LAST 78FG commander's mount after Col. Landers. So far, the model is really living up to her namesake :eek:.
[img][/img]

Keep up the good work.

Regards,
langerl

ProScaleRc 09-13-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: joey_snaproll

Way to go James, I'm Glad you went with the B model. nice cockpit.I'll be watching . I have the razor back for for my bird and it's nice. Are you making a sliding canopy or gluing the canopy together? post lot's of pictures.

Joe
Hi Joe,

yes I'm very excited to be using your Malcolm Hood. Thanks again. ;)

I will be making it sliding and was think of having it driven by an air actuator; which should be a challenge in itself.

ProScaleRc 09-13-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: jeff naul

Are you going to make the changes to the wing also?
I looked into it, but the grain my wing boxing is in the correct direction so I don't really need to. With that said I will add a bit of reinforcing via some 3mm carbon sheeting, just to be sure.

ProScaleRc 09-13-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Spychalla Aircraft

James,

Nice project. I am biased of course because it has my parts on it, but still nice project. Regarding glass on your fuse. Having just put a cowl on my own TF Mustang recently I have an opinion regarding the procedure. I bonded on the cowl, filled the gap flush with lightweight Ultimate Bondo (Auto Body Filler) then overlapped the glass about 1/2 inch onto the cowl. This created a situation where I had to sand and feather that edge in. I would not do it this way again. My recommendation would be to glass the fuse first and trim the edge, then bond on the cowl and the razorback. Filling the seam without the overlap will be easier. Putty can just extend to whichever side is lower. You will have a hard surface to sand against with the glassed balsa versus just balsa alone. Most of the putty is sanded off so weight is not an issue. Just my recommendation and the way I plan to do my next one. Leo
Hi Leo,

I was still thinking about what to do there. I was considering attaching the nose then laying then glass along to whole length; nose and all. This way I won't need to use Bondo. I figure if she ever goes nose in on a landing and there is a heap of Bondo it might crack; if it's all glass it should be able to take a reasonable knock. What's your thoughts on this method?

ProScaleRc 09-13-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: langerl

Hi James!
Glad to see a P-51B/C in production; we don't get many of these.
Say, I noticed you are installing a Keleo scale exhaust. It looks like a Mark 2 or 3. I had considerable trouble with this unit holding together with a DA50 and after working with Kelvin at Keleo, he provided each upgrade (Mark 1-4) at no cost to me. Great guy; he stands behind his products. Anyhow, if you can, check with him to avoid a LOT of headaches with the Keleo. I'm flying the Mark 4 unit and it appears to be holding up (it now has a reinforcing tab on the RIGHT bank of the mufflers also. This is inserted into a two-piece upper right standoff; also provided by Kelvin for this unit).
Hope this saves you some problems!

Here's my TF P51 - Contrary Mary; the LAST 78FG commander's mount after Col. Landers. So far, the model is really living up to her namesake :eek:.
[img][/img]

Keep up the good work.

Regards,
langerl
Thanks for letting me know. I'll email Kelvin and see what type I have... PS: nice bird!

dmyers0403 09-14-2009 07:46 AM

I went to your web site and did not see the fiberglass "B" Razorback unit is it still available? If so at what price. Also would like to know who is making/providing the Malsom Canopy (Hood)??

Spychalla Aircraft 09-14-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: dmyers0403

I went to your web site and did not see the fiberglass ''B'' Razorback unit is it still available? If so at what price. Also would like to know who is making/providing the Malsom Canopy (Hood)??
I think dmyers0403 is confused on who is running the thread here. It looks like the first part of this note is actually targetted to me so I will answer it. Because of strong demand I've done very little advertising of my TF Cowling and TF Razorback conversion parts. They are not on my web site because the word-of-mouth sales are all I can handle. Over 45 cowls sold & shipped so far. If the volume slows down, then I will create a page and post them on my web site. If you want one, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you information and pricing.

I do not know who is making this guys Malcolm Hood.

Leo Spychalla (Spychalla Aircraft LLC)

ProScaleRc 09-28-2009 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally had a chance to work on my bird over the weekend. After lots of contemplating I got the courage the build up the empennage and install the horizontal stab. I was a bit worried about this because if this is set wrong the plane will fly like a piece of *****. So with the use of a set square, a ruler and a incident meter I went to work. I'm very pleased with the outcome and feel that this baby will fly like a dream. I must admit the templates supplied by Leo were very much spot on and made life easier.

See attached an image of the attached stab. There is also an image showing a test fitting of the razorback. Next stage is fitting the tail, more precise measurements. Arrrrr! LOL

dmyers0403: I got the Malcolm Hood off Joey Snaproll on this forum. He did a fabulous job. Thanks Joe! [8D]

Ron101 09-28-2009 07:45 PM

Man that cockpit locks so nice!!
but $373 USD wow! that's the cost of the whole ARC

I have the dynamic balsa kit to build for mine... I've done one before there alot of work but turn out pretty well
not like that one.. but good enough for me

planes going to look great!

can't wait to get back on mine...

Ron

Spychalla Aircraft 09-29-2009 06:21 AM

James, At this stage on the tail, drill in from the front through that plywood and peg the front of the stab with two 1/8" wooden dowels. I think it is a good measure of extra strength and it will provide more of a mechanical joint for the stab versus just relying on the adhesive bond of the lower side. I will eventually add that to the instructions. Leo

JL1 09-29-2009 07:12 AM

For what it's worth, all of the documentation I have for "Ding Hao" shows a yellow outline, rather than red, for the name lettering.
My documentation includes a painting signed by the pilot, James Howard.

ProScaleRc 09-30-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Spychalla Aircraft

James, At this stage on the tail, drill in from the front through that plywood and peg the front of the stab with two 1/8'' wooden dowels. I think it is a good measure of extra strength and it will provide more of a mechanical joint for the stab versus just relying on the adhesive bond of the lower side. I will eventually add that to the instructions. Leo
Good thinking. Thanks!

ProScaleRc 09-30-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: JL1

For what it's worth, all of the documentation I have for ''Ding Hao'' shows a yellow outline, rather than red, for the name lettering.
My documentation includes a painting signed by the pilot, James Howard.
The outline was in yellow when he flew in Asia and change to red when he was reassigned to Europe. He also installed a Malcolm Hood in Europe (early '44) and in mid '44 he painted invasion stripes under wings and on the fuselage; keeping the single stripe on top of the wing and horiz-stab. I also have a B&W photo showing a stripe on the tail/rudder, but no date on the photo.

JL1 10-01-2009 07:03 AM

I beg to differ. He flew p-40's in asia (AVG) and p-51's in Europe. The painting I have is his P-51B in Europe. I also have other documentation of the 354th FG including a squadron history.

ProScaleRc 10-01-2009 06:41 PM

Hi JL1,

I know the oil painting you are talking about. Although a lovely painting, oils really aren't the best thing to base scalability off; you always have to account for artistic freedom by the painter. This famous painting, which can be easily Googled, was painted after the war; which leaves room for error. I have at least 5 publications covering the history of Ding Hao including B&W and colour remastered photos. Photos don't lie, so this is what I based my build off.

As for P-40 in Asia, true, but the P-40's were replaced by P-51B's, C's and eventually D's. Most fighter pilots that flew in Asia eventually flew Mustangs. I have a great Mustang history video that covers this topic.

JL1 10-02-2009 01:14 PM

OK, one step at a time
1. You claim that Howard flew a P-51 "Ding Hao" in Asia with a yellow outline. In fact, He never flew a 51B in Asia as he left there before 51B's were in service there. His first experience with the 51B was in the fall of 1943 in England. This info is from his autobigraphy "Roar of the Tiger"

2. Howards signature on the painting is strong evidence that the colors in the painting are authentic

3 Photos don't lie
[link]http://354thfightergroup.homestead.com/DingHao1.html[/link]