RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   Calcomp plotter (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/8313905-calcomp-plotter.html)

donnyman 01-03-2009 04:21 PM

Calcomp plotter

I need a operators manual and all the help I can get. I have the Calcomp Draftmaster plus thermal plotter
I THINK i need drivers for it. any info you have will help. also I need a Terminal keyboard IBM # 3151 p/n 1395162. these keyboards are old and many were thrown away. I need it to talk to this plotter.

thanks in advance Donny

Laird SS 01-03-2009 04:37 PM

RE: Calcomp plotter

Have checked on any of this stuff through Google?

CoosBayLumber 01-03-2009 05:33 PM

I am using a Calcomp Draftmaster two on osccasion within Autocad. Works fine, 'cept for buying the highly expensive paper. I have the later style with the black case, not the earlier white case model. Operations Manuals are no longer available, but had been copied over on to CDR, plus the parts manual. They can be obtained via a fellow in Corona Calif, who used to be an employee or try Lorand out of N.Y. state for about $10-20 each. Lottsa pages involved.

But as you will find, once it gets set up, then never need the manual(s) again.

The driver is not available via Calcomp anymore. I use it anyway in Autocad, as it is quicker on set up then. Was an article as how to run in Windows XP, but mort are run in Win. 96, 98, ME or 2000.

Wm.

Hemikiller 01-05-2009 12:02 AM

If you have a Calcomp, you have a Drawingmaster plotter, Draftmaster is/was an HP trademark.

Try http://www.driverguide.com/ and see if they have a driver that matches your plotter. Many Calcomp drivers are Win 3.x, but will work on Win95/98. Do not expect to find an XP driver for a pen plotter, unless you $$$pring for the $200 Winline driver suite.....http://www.winline.com/index.html. You can download a free demo here, just to make sure your plotter is functional... http://www.winline.com/evalpen.html

Do you have the correct RS232 cable? I had to make one for my old Zericon pen plotter. Took me about a week to get it to plot properly.

Regarding the keyboard, try eBay. I don't really understand why you need a special keyboard to run a plotter, but if that's what you need, eBay's your best bet.

donnyman 01-05-2009 09:53 AM

THANK YOU one and all. I am thrilled to get some positive feed back. I will try all suggestions as I am almost in desperation mode. If you will permit I may pm you with request for help. I trust you wont mind

Again THANK YOU DONNY

CoosBayLumber 01-05-2009 12:23 PM

After 1999 Calcomp of Orange County California refused to essentially talk about their older plotters. Thus no updating was done on anything, except for sales.

The driver you need is three part and covers a variety of plotters made by Calcomp. Look for the one with 95nt40.1 in the title someplace. They also have an HP-GL and HP-GL2 emulator, but you do not need that. After unzipping and selection, you need only the first two sections, as the 52 and 53 series plotters are not color. This driver is pretty common, and can be obtained at CADALOG tonight for free download. Be sure to get and use CClean before installing. You do not need their multiple plotter drivers (like SPLOT), unless you are at some biggie, multi-user firm.

The cable you need is NOT a standard RS-232 one, but a common old 36 pin printer cable to LPT connection. Looks like a SCSI type of one and connectas in to the PARALLEL PAR. 1 connection one back. I used to see these printer cables at local electronic swap meets for $1 as they are rather common. Then get a straight through wire extension for another $1 also. If going to one of these swap meets, the keyboard may run you $2 for they are plentiful and obsolete also. But is simplier to run with the KB you now have attached to your computer. Save $2 then.

The plotter software must be enlarged via Windows and it will call up the standard window display (which you do not need) and label the plotter as a second printer. Use your common deskjet as DEFAULT and if need be, designate the new Calcomp plotter as the default one. Once you switch off, you must then go back and designate the paper via Custom settings once again. Do not forget to go back and reset the DEFAULT too.

The paper is rather expensive, and usually comes in a dual roll box at like $130 per box locally. Use after you set it up, it will print out half tones (like in raster images) very-very smoothly. Far more evenly than the inkjet plotter types. The paper will easily keep ten years, so do not be afraid to purchase older stock. The plotter will run easily for 10 years w/o any maintenance as they were built to go, go go, everyday. The older ones do have a fragile point, in that they were run and controlled via a spinning MFD hard drive. These get damaged quite easily during shipping. If things run awkward, it may be damaged. They require removal, and then flash formatted once again. You can actually run Windows Scandisk on them, but that does not fix bad sectors.

Forget the WinLine driver. I got it here. It will only work if you have a plotter that has specially modified circuitry to emulate HP-GL languages. If your's is a common type 52 or 53, they no longer will will modify it to accept the WinLine driver.

Below is notes that I copied from old Lorand plotters (sales) web-site that pertained to using the plotter(s) in Windows xp.

Windows 2000/XP Driver for CalComp Raster Plotters

CalComp did not develop a driver specifically for Windows 2000/XP, but the Windows NT 4.0 Raster driver will function in Windows 2000/XP. In addition to the appropriate files for the specific plotter (95NT40_1, 95NT40_2, and for color models 95NT40_3) three additional files are needed. These are on the Windows NT 4 Installations CD (Workstation and server) in the "i386" folder. The files needed are:

PSCRIPT.DLL
PSCRPTUI.DLL
PSCRIPT.HLP

Since these are part of Windows NT and Microsoft does not permit Calgraph to distribute them, they cannot be included with the CalComp driver files. If the CalComp driver is already installed on a Windows NT computer, these files can be located through the Find File function from the Start Menu and copied for use on a new install.

During the driver install after Disk 1 it will request the PSCRIPT files from the Windows CD. You will need to Browse to the directory where you have placed the 3 PSCRIPT files so the driver install can find them.

In addition the PrintProcessor for the driver needs to be installed and selected:
Double click on the PPInst.exe file in the Disk1 Folder
Select the Print Processor to install, Ccprint.dll.
You may need to go to Windows Explorer View Menu Options Item
View tab and select Show all files for ccprint.dll to be displayed.

Go the Start Menu, Settings... Printers.
Select the Printer icon. Right click and pick Properties from the popup menu
On the Advanced Tab click on the Print Processor button
In the Print Processor Windows select/highlight the CCPRINT.DLL print processor.
On the General tab, click on the "Print Test Page" button.

Wm.

donnyman 01-06-2009 01:28 PM

Thank you Coosbaylumber I will follow your suggestions It sounds like you have a handle on the calcomp plotter. I have a dedicated computer attached Because I am being hit with virus's. I am using the printer cable to the lpt1 port my son says it is the simplest method. Again THANK YOU!!!:)

CoosBayLumber 01-07-2009 01:58 PM

Main thing is you need to locate that NT4 driver and the CCClean software. I may heve thme here, if you cannot locate such. And then you need to go through and assign linewidths per color/number. Which always takes me an afternoon of pushing buttons (Oops pushed too often and went too far) and then assigning the default half tones. If only using it in Windows they have a whole different looking menu there, plus the direction of plot is 90 degrees off that of Autocad.

I have a 53436 connected in here via three cables. From back of computer port LPT!, goes along wall, to doorway, around it, along wall again. to backside of plotter, then up to the Parallel port. I got a board for multiple users if you really-really have an old system, such that with touch of one button, any rterminal can acess the plotter. Installed once, and never again. Do not forget to turn it on "Before" you computer when it needs to be used.

Wm.

donnyman 01-08-2009 12:44 AM

Coosbaylumber If you have the drivers to send me you would be doing me a humongous favor I am batting zero here. I have not gotten any response from the download site just nothing. your help is appreciated.

donnyman 03-01-2009 05:55 PM

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D That's right It's up and running! the quietest plotter I have ever seen!

Thank's for your response it did help, much to my shame[sm=red_smile.gif] I had all the drivers I needed from a download a long time ago. my bad!!!!

my son had it plotting in less time than it took to make a cup of instant coffee.(notice I said my son?)I would have never gotten it going.

I'm plotting away!

Donny

CoosBayLumber 03-01-2009 06:25 PM

After first turning it on, mine tends to make a Groaning sound, and then clicks off the paper.

If it is running OK, set the pen sizes, including any you may think of for shaded text, images, or lines.

Remember Autocad drawings are positioned East-west, and all others run via Windows are North-South.

Wm.

donnyman 03-01-2009 09:13 PM

Coosbay

my plotter is a thermal plotter mod. 52436p no pens, do I still has some setting to make???

If you are not paying attention you would not know a plot is on it's way, my computer fan makes more noise.

I am not sure about the east/west- north/south thing but everything so far is good them smiles aint no joke!

now I got to find a pdf to dwg converter the one i downloaded won't let me file the results so is useless.

Thanks again Donny

CoosBayLumber 03-02-2009 12:03 AM

I use the Calcomp 53436 plotter, with the noted driver. The drive system for the main feed roller must be a chain, for it sort of clicks as it goes by. It sort of runs almost too quiet, for while compiling the finished plot, I usually go to telephone and make a call. Then, when done walk by and... watziz onna floor?

There is an Awfull lot of endurance in the 52436. It ought to last you ten years or more. I have run mine only six years now, so have at least four more in it. Paper it the expensive part though.

It will run PDF files, long as you have the Windows software to drive it.

Annoying is that you must set the size to paper if doing direct from Windows. Set to center on page for Windows, as then you will not clip off any of the edges to your plot.

Wm.

donnyman 03-02-2009 09:13 AM

When do you sleep I thought I got up early this morning!

Yes I am still tickled to have my plotter functional. all of what you said about the plotter is true and I like it because if I,m running early in the morning or late at night no one is disturbed.

I looked for paper yesterday, no luck! 36" roll of thermal seems rare to non existent I will be calling some local shops they did carry the paper last i checked, not much on line though if I find some and can afford it I will stock up. most of what I do is personal so it wont get a lot of use.

I haven't tried to print the pdf files but I will based on what you said that would save a lot of work I enjoy redesigning (kit/plans bashing) to my way of building and thinking. when I can get to it I have a f-14 in the build up stages that I modified and so far it is lookin pretty good! other projects have slowed me down quite a bit. I have it in cad that's what the plotter is for. without drawings I'd be lost as to what mods I have made.

Gotta go I'll check in with you later, got questions................Donny

CoosBayLumber 03-02-2009 09:56 AM

You cannot buy single rolls of the Calcomp thermal paper. They usually come in dual roll boxes. I got maybe two spare boxes stored away here in the basement.

Do not let the Expiration date fool you. The paper is reasonably good three years beyond the printed expiration date. Only bad thing have found is down near center of core, the paper will wrinkle. May be due to moisture in storing.

I got some of the 36 inch OP shipped from a place in Atlanta, once in Los Angeles area, Pomona, and Phoenix. The Arizona place says they have lots in stock. The Pomona place says it comes and goes, as Boeing placed an order for three pallet fulls and I got the excess at about $36 each box. The Los Angeles Dept. of Water and Power had an auction and I was only bidder for four rolls about two years ago. Cost more to drive there then than to purchase the boxes.

I think the going cost for paper now is about $130 per two roll box. Add in any shipping and taxes and it is really expensive then. Have a local "Paper" place that will order me some, but at about $175 per two roll box.

At these rates you will soon learn to turn off the plotter and then run only when the work is near completely done. Then use and use that sheet, never tossing it away.

Wm.

donnyman 03-02-2009 10:56 AM

If you can please give me the name of the supplier in Phoenix if you have it, we visit there on occasion (wifes home town).

I was expecting the prices to be high on thermal paper everyone is into inkjet or laser.
considering the mess pen plotter ink makes thermal is the way to go. My use will not be high two rolls should last me a while.

I got two boxes of plain paper For 5 bucks each for my H.P. pen plotters and haven't put a dent in them. It will be up for sale as soon as I feel confident to let it go.

What is the coosbaylumber name are you in business doing laser work ....inquiring (nosey:eek:) minds wanna no!

D.

donnyman 03-04-2009 11:00 AM

Happiness is short lived!

I got his plotter talking to the computer, now when i turn it on the circuit breaker pops [&o] looks like I'll be cleaning a stepping motor or two. oh lucky me other than that I'm in pretty good shape.

here we go But, finding thermal paper is turning into a job all by itself I am feeling like Rodney Dangerfield "Can't get no respect"

The hunt for 36" thermal plotter paper continues

Donny

CoosBayLumber 03-04-2009 11:16 AM

The Xeroxtype of plotters break down quite often. And require special paper that is even harder to locate. H-P tried the same, and I do not see their plotters on the market. The modern Calcomp Inkjet machines were made by Cannon. (Which is why the software interchanges so well).

On the Thermal one you have, leave the top door open once done, taking the pressure off the upper wire. The upper door is spring loaded and will stay open just a bit. I set a chunk of carpet across the top to keep dust out. Release the roller bail once done too. These plotters will go a full year of daily use without looking at.

Whatever, do not run one of the Piezo inkjet models that Calcomp tried to market a few decades ago, for there are zero parts. I think they made 17 in total as per old Tech. I talked to. Got involved with some patent controversy and did not have enough $$ to defend themselves. Which in turn made Lockheed stop their funding. Boeing tried to pick up the funding but after hearing of the on going lawsuit did not.

The thermal will give amazingly smooth transitions in the half tone modes. The Inkjets have a hard departure line you will see. Once you get into the control panel, and set the lines and percents, the whole quality of the end product increases. It just then looks nicer. Beside the ease of punching a button, walking off to answer the telephone or get some coffee, then coming back and finding a very nice looking finished paper product.

I looked and could not locate the vendor for paper in Phoenix. I mailed off a cheque for about $90 of paper plus shipping on a few boxes. I could not locate the name in the cheque registry either. Original cost was about $60 per box in shipping alone. GTO/Calcomp is there now, and I wonder if it was not some associated business of theirs. They are mainly into the digitizer market though.

Wm.

donnyman 03-05-2009 02:47 PM

Wm

I am trying your suggestions before tearing into my plotter. Meanwhile I found a source of paper in Dallas TX. At $54.40 a roll Thats a 36"x 386' roll report grade. The premium grade roll goes for $35.04 a roll plus shipping but is 36"x 206' (less paper less cost)

I will be in the Dallas area this month so I may just pick it up and save a few pennies. The best thing is a source of paper is available.
they custom cut these rolls so they need advance notice but no big deal there.

Now, back to playing with my new toy!
Donny

CoosBayLumber 03-05-2009 10:34 PM

I had tried Report Grade paper before. Normally a bit thin for me. When the postal rates went up, it used it all up, as it mede the box weight under the amount of weight for next whole pound.

Normally I use the Opaque Presentation paper. A bit thicker and still has the half tones I like. Got about four boxes stored away.

You ahd better get the rolls of paper before they are gone.

Wm.

82Pioneer 03-12-2009 08:38 PM

Hi,

I have been reading this thread and I think I have come to the right place for information. First I have come across another source for the paper. www.calcompgraphics.com is advertising as a source for genuine calcomp supplies. They list report grade, Opaque, Premium, Matte Film. They are listing 36 inch and 24 inch.

I am trying to hookup a DrawingMaster Plus 52436 and will be using the informtion on this thread. I have connected with an old printer cable to the parellel. I have downloaded 95NT40_1, 95NT40_2 but haven't installed them yet. I may have some questions because I have never hooked up a plotter before.

I hope to be able to print pdf and tif files once I am done and would appreciate any suggestions if you have figured out how to do it.

The plotter came with 4 rolls of 36 inch paper. I was wondering if it is possible to use 24 inch paper in the Drawing Master Plus? Will I need some sort of adaptor for the 24 inch paper?

82PIoneer

CoosBayLumber 03-13-2009 10:09 AM

The main store in Arizona (and Georgia) for Calcomp plotter papers are about the highest in the nation. That is why so many folks go to outside sources for paper cost and shipping. Was someone on FleeBay trying to sell the mylar film at about $75 each roll. That is a good $100 off of retail.

Do not beleive that a 36 inch wide plotter will accept the narrower paper. It ought to fail the POST test. I installed some that was crooked, (failed) and then some that was about 1/2 inch too narrow (failed).

You may already have a cord for the plotter, if you got a bum old one around. I used an old Epson cord, then ran it to a $1 swap meet special (used) extension. Goes good and solid there. But, and they warn you in manual, do not use a cord set up for teh original H-P printers. They have crossed wires, and ONLY work on H-P printers then. Do not know what they use today.
The main thig is that you need I also installed a $1 SIIG board in the computer just so that I did not need to alter Port settings. Thus came up with an LPT3 port.

Get the NT-4 driver. Un-zip it, and I use only the portion set up for the 52436 on my 53436. It will immediately ask what plotter(?) and then tell you you do not need to recall last one or two expanded disks. Those last couple are for Color purposes only.

If you can see everything in Windows, then it (PDF or TIF) can be printed. You do have to go to the custom paper setting though.

Wm.

82Pioneer 03-15-2009 10:40 PM

I found the drivers and the NT file on driverguides.com. All the files needed were bundled into one down load. So I got the plotter running. Sort of. The XP test page printed out fine. Then I tried to print a TIFF file. The drawings are coming out reverse like a negative. Total black background with white lines and lettering. Have you heard of this issues? I have looked at the print setup and nothing is jumping out at me to correct this issue. I would appreciate any suggestions.

CoosBayLumber 03-17-2009 02:02 PM

You are going to have to investigate the controlling software. Mine here will let you see, view, and print direct from a scanned negative in B&W or color. I can't figure it out, so set the software button to print in positive only.

This may be a onboard software problem more than a driver issue.

Wm.

donnyman 03-17-2009 07:41 PM

My source of paper is still good but (here it comes) They have a ten roll limit, At approx. 55 bucks a roll I will have to pass for now.

I can't use ten rolls of paper maybe four, so if anyone can use some paper and is willing to pay the shipping for there paper from Dallas TEX. maybe we can get together for a group purchase.

this company custom cuts the paper and needs advance notice and payment, he didn't mention any set up charges.

the salesman said they can ship to various places so if you need paper let's get together. the price per roll isn't bad!!

Donny