Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

Warbird Racing at the Nats

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 07:05 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warbird Racing at the Nats

Just thought I would get this Thread started.
Dates are set and yes we will be racing these warbirds at the Nats July 15, 16 2016.

Rules will be similar with some very minor differences.

We have been asked to have a good showing, I echo that request.

Need to make plans to have hauling rigs from your area taking peoples stuff so others can fly who need to and save on time from work and family etc...

3 Classes again to be run

Gold - 1:25
Silver - 1:55
Bronze - 2:25
Old 11-20-2015, 10:54 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will go and plan to race all three classes as usual. I think if we can find someone with a large trailer or we all pitch in and get a U-haul/Ryder type truck and drive over. This would good as we could lock our planes up at the field when not there. Thinking if this truck/trailer left Sacramento then onto Reno and then Utah could pick up most of us out here.

Thoughts? I can get some prices on the U-haul type trucks and see what it would cost.

Marty have any connections with Penske? Maybe any of those you do decals for might could sponsor us across the country to the National event and we can mention them when there as part sponsor? Thoughts?

Last edited by airraptor; 11-20-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:23 PM
MFLOOD3800

Marty doesnt get discounts for Penskes trucks - sorry
I think if we all pitch in we can rent a vehicle and tow a trailer and keep costs down, this would probably ensure more participants.
But Jeff, you wouldnt be able to bring 20 airplanes sorry bud
Old 11-20-2015, 06:01 PM
airraptor

well I would bring 8 though. two for each class and a back up. well maybe we could reach out to them and see if could get a small discount I would just not good at that stuff
Old 11-20-2015, 06:19 PM
MFLOOD3800

Not sure if you realize this Jeff, but two for each class is a back up

They wont give a discount unless you have contacts within their organization.
I decal their trucks as well as Uhaul, but dont work for them.

We need something like this though along with a trailer. That way the rest of us could have room for our planes after you load yours

15 planes from NV alone, 8 from Jeff, Id have 2, and hopefully another 10 from other west coast racers. Thats 35 planes right there
We would need a lot of bubble wrap or shelving.

These type of truck/vans are usually around $500 a week plus some mileage.( probably about $800) Id bet its around $1300-$1500 to be split up.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:56 PM
airraptor

if so that isnt a bad price at all. plus chip in for the guys hotel and gas. I will be doing some figuring on prices soon
Old 11-21-2015, 05:02 AM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you really want to bring up being paid or sponsored or profit from the use of your activity and how it it is now being politisized as a commercial operation definition? REALLY? Not to mention AMA disclaimers of business venture liability of claims. Which I never really understood about Bob Violet , Nelson or Jett flying at Nats. Im afraid the drones and FAA are gonna nail it down for certain.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:03 AM
airraptor

wrong thread c/f
Old 11-21-2015, 06:02 PM
MFLOOD3800

Lets get Joe Donkey to drive
Then he could get there on our dime and announce for us.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:03 PM
airraptor

that is a great idea. Would have to see if he could take two weeks off from work though
as it would be about three days drive each way and then if some are flying Q40 also would have to be there by tuesday
Old 11-25-2015, 05:24 PM
MFLOOD3800

Racers,
I have started a FB post for the Nats Race
Please see here for all the upcoming info you will need:

https://www.facebook.com/Warbird-Nat...8030040894122/
Old 12-03-2015, 01:39 PM
PLANEBENDER
My Feedback: (3)

Talked to Ray about this race last night, The only way I would be interested in going is 2 things: 1. We will be granted some practice time at the same field we race at and 2. I can drive out and bring my trailer. I can haul as many as 40 planes in my rig as well as equipment. Would have to figure the total cost and then each guy pay a set fee. I'm not about to ship my stuff and fly out and hotel ect... I would like to travel with Jeff if he wants to ride out with me. It's a 2 guy deal 12 hours of driving each day. Getting there early is a good idea.

Dave
Old 12-03-2015, 02:57 PM
airraptor

Dave I working on an email of everyone that wants to go. the more that goes and the more we combine into vehicles the better. I think there is 4-6 from the bay area that wants to go already. Working on those from sac. Marty can you also work on how many are going from other areas?
Old 12-03-2015, 04:14 PM
MFLOOD3800

As of now there are 2 from Utah and maybe a third. I will find out about the Phx guys , but believe some of them will be racing Q40 already and will be there so hopefully they will race warbird as well.

Dave
as far as practicing, we will have to make a decision once the entry list is in. We are only given Sat to race for sure. I am pushing for registration early on Fri so we can also fly that afternoon and get at least one round in. That way we can get around 5 rounds total. I really dont want to drive all that way and only get 3-4 rounds in. If we have fewer than expected entries we can easily get rounds done in one hour. With that said we could them set a practice time : Example would be registration 8:00-9:00 . Practice 9:00-11:30. Racing starts at noon, or something like that.
I have an email asking some logistical questions. When I find out I will post here and on FB.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:38 PM
MFLOOD3800

Yes motor homes are allowed. You will be parked behind the pit area and would need to walk about 300 feet to the pit area. Of course you can also rent golf carts.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:12 PM
PLANEBENDER
My Feedback: (3)

Sounds fair Marty. Check on: Tables, Chairs, 120V Power, Shade Ect. I would be bringing my own provisions but others will need the following.

Dave
Old 12-05-2015, 01:20 PM
MFLOOD3800

Everyone will need to be self sufficient. I have seen tons of EZ ups in pics. Supplying that much power and cover for the weeks of the Nats would be financially out of the question for the AMA to cover so every one needs to bring their own everything.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:06 PM
MFLOOD3800

Nats wrap up so far :
We currently have 2 options for hauling gear to Muncie: Contact Jeff R if you are interested in sharing costs of a rental vehicle. Contact Dave S if you are interested in sharing expenses of his vehicle and trailer, he is also looking for a partner that doesnt talk continually and bathes regularly, and flies JR equipment.
Hopefully we will need both these options to haul all of our stuff. If not we will decide soon enough which route to go.
Both guys are dependable and you can trust that your equipment will arrive with no damage or missing glow plugs.

Be looking for rules to go public in about 3 weeks.

I wrote an article that will hopefully be published soon.

Im hoping for 1 and 1/2 days of racing with practice on the first day only.

Entry fees are looking to be $45 for the first class and $35 for any other class after that.
Trophies should be handed out for 1st-4th in the over all points winners of heat racing. Then if time permits we will have a trophy race like at Fresno but only handing out one trophy for the 1st place winner of each class.

We need a minimum of 15 pilots (not entries).
I am hoping we get 20-25 pilots and 30-40 entries.
If we accomplish this we may get 2 full days next year if time allows it.
Lets push for this even if you arent able to make it this year, maybe you will in the following years so lets get it established right off the bat
Thx Guys
Old 12-11-2015, 06:05 PM
MFLOOD3800

Built a plane rack to haul the warbirds around
Im already ready for the NATS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	plane rack.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	2135452  
Old 12-14-2015, 11:45 AM
MFLOOD3800

Due to the new registration rules of all RC aircraft within the limits the Faa put forth I strongly encourage all pilots considering competing in any AMA sanctioned events , register their equipment, put the reg# inside the plane or where ever the law will require. Lets be proactive. Im pretty sure this will become mandatory for any official event. The cost is $5 for all of you planes if done in the allotted time frame and then they will also refund you that 100%.

This is in thanks to the quad copter guys operating with no regards to common sense or legal conformance.
Then everybody started calling these quads, drones and it spiraled into what we have now.

here is the link to register your race planes:
http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...rcuniverse.com

Please be advised this will probably become mandatory so lets be the rush and just get it done.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:33 PM
MFLOOD3800

Here is the meat and potatoes of the new ruling we will be required to meet.
Once again, this isnt that painfull of thing, whether you agree or disagree. I am not in favor of this new law but understand the need for it with the new exposure quad copters bring to the table, as well as so many new RTF or BNF park models bringing in non AMA membership or educated Club members. Its the price we all must pay for the continuation of our hobby. Lets just pray it doesnt get even more regulated down the road.

Please do plan on having this number somewhere where it can be seen at the Nats this year.

• All aircraft that are flown using a ground control system, such as a transmitter, are required to participate. This includes fixed-wing aircraft, not just multirotors or drones.
  • Any pilot flying models weighing between .55 pounds (or 250 grams) and 55 lbs is required to register.
  • You will not be required to register every aircraft individually. You only need to register yourself and can affix one registration number to all your aircraft.
  • You must mark all aircraft with your registration number. The number can be inside the aircraft, such as a battery hatch - but should not require tools to access.
  • The FAA plans to launch the online registration website on Monday, December 21.
  • There is a $5 fee to register, which is waived if you register within the first 30 days.
  • You only need to register once every 3 years.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Lvan09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't Club 40 on Saturday? Warbird Friday.

Originally Posted by MFLOOD3800
As of now there are 2 from Utah and maybe a third. I will find out about the Phx guys , but believe some of them will be racing Q40 already and will be there so hopefully they will race warbird as well.

Dave
as far as practicing, we will have to make a decision once the entry list is in. We are only given Sat to race for sure. I am pushing for registration early on Fri so we can also fly that afternoon and get at least one round in. That way we can get around 5 rounds total. I really dont want to drive all that way and only get 3-4 rounds in. If we have fewer than expected entries we can easily get rounds done in one hour. With that said we could them set a practice time : Example would be registration 8:00-9:00 . Practice 9:00-11:30. Racing starts at noon, or something like that.
I have an email asking some logistical questions. When I find out I will post here and on FB.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:43 PM
MFLOOD3800

Lvan,
No we are racing for sure Sat at the paved runway while C40 is racing at their spot. We are gonna do registration early Fri and hopefully get a couple rounds in Fri afternoon as well. So we are looking to race Fri and Sat.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:27 AM
airraptor

yet no ultralight needs a registration
Old 12-18-2015, 07:56 AM
kane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MFLOOD3800
Everyone will need to be self sufficient. I have seen tons of EZ ups in pics. Supplying that much power and cover for the weeks of the Nats would be financially out of the question for the AMA to cover so every one needs to bring their own everything.
Hello to all, my name is Dan Kane and I am the president of the NMPRA. As the representative for the AMA's SIG (Special Interest Group) I will be helping Marty to work through the details of the event. For those that have never been at the Muncie site here is some additional information.

1. The pylon site does have 110V power at two different locations in the pits. 1 location is near the scoring tent is primarily used for scoring. However, we can utilize extension cords and pull from the same tap. A second location is behind the pits closer to the bathroom. This too can be tapped into via extension cords and can power the pits. In the past many have brought their own generators. This is your choice.

2. The NMPRA along with Dub Jett and Mike Langlois rent a very large tent for all the competitiors. The warbird guys are welcome to utilize this space during your event. The cost is $10 per spot and the money is donated back to the Cliff Telford Scholarship fund. Keep in mind that this space is also reserved for the pilots competing in the events following the warbird event. We need to pay close attention to make sure that spots are reserved prior to the event and we do not take any additional space that is allocated to another pilot. Towards the end of January after the AMA registration forms are published the Tent registration process will be listed on the NMPRA website. Stay tuned for details.

More details to come. I will periodically check back in here and hopefully I can answer any questions you may have.

DK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.