Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy ecus Telemetry!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy ecus Telemetry!

Old 02-06-2016, 02:41 AM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Xicoy ecus Telemetry!

We are happy to announce the addition of another three radio brands to our Xicoy telemetry products. Now all 7 major brands are covered by our Flight Computer (FC1). It can interface to Jeti, Futaba, Multiplex, HoTT, JRPropo, Spektrum and Weatronic.

The amount of data displayed on the TX is currently limited by the TX software itself. There are huge differences in telemetry capability betweenthe different radio manufacturers . At present time, only Jeti radios can use all the data available from the FC1 in bidirectional mode, displaying and storing the measured data (RPM, EGT, Pump, Throttle, Fuel remain, 3 axis G meter, Barometric altitude, pitot airspeed, GPS position, Gps height, heading and GPS altitude), plus emulating the engine data terminal from the TX. Other brands have more or less limitations. I'm in direct contact direct with the developers of several radio brands in order to expand the information available, some are very collaborative, but others are very slooooow to answer.

Here you have some videos of a typical engine startup, that show the telemetry screens of the different radios during engine operation, including the non engine data (GPS, Gmeter, Airspeed, Altitude) along with the comments of each particular system, so that you can see what telemetry data the particular radio can display and how this data is presented. All manufacturers contacted promise to improve this area, but at today date, the situation is as you can see on the videos. I'm sorry for the quality of the videos, not easy to hold the camera, the radio and operate the engine all at same time!

Jeti: All engine parameters / sensors displayed, alarms in all parameters, multiengine capable, data terminal emulation. Video: https://youtu.be/XF5vjQvGp9U

Spektrum: All engine parameters / sensors displayed, alarms in some parameters, single engine, no data terminal emulation. Video: https://youtu.be/gxDlzs4WKc0

Multiplex: All engine parameters displayed, Alarms in some parameters. all sensors except GPS (G load unit is Amperes). Multiengine capable. Video: https://youtu.be/5a9D3iYvUgs

HoTT (Graupner): Data terminal emulation (slow). Alarms adjustable in some parameters. G load displayed as Ampers, temperature shows divided by 10 (max 250º). Single engine only. video: https://youtu.be/_nNrGLzmjMA

Futaba T18MZ: All engine parameters and sensors (except GPS) displayed. Alarms on the radio side. Some sensors have incorrect units due at limited flexibility of Futaba. Multiengine operation possible. Video: http://youtu.be/IgSQDmXPUGQ

Futaba T18SZ: Same as the 18MZ, except that the software of the SZ limits to 4 parameters to be displayed in the telemetry screen. Multiengine is possible, limited to 2 measures for each engine. video: https://youtu.be/X5E06nsAEzI

Weatronic: Current Wea software only support GPS and LinkVario sensor. Single engine. Unknown if alarms can be set. The GPS sensor on the FC1 is correctly displayed, but the engine data is displayed emulating the LinkVario sensor, developed for an electric motor, so the RPM is displayed in Amperes and fuel used in mAh. Video: https://youtu.be/dMU0eas5qWQ

JR XG14: Maximum of 6 parameters displayed, remain fuel in mAh. Single engine. Bug in the display of RPM (max displayed 65.000, should be 500.000 as per JR information).: video: https://youtu.be/XdrV18-v2Ls

Besides the TX, there are two more possibilities for standalone telemetry, in the case your current radio don't support telemetry or need/prefer that your helper monitors the data on separate handheld terminal.

Full Range: JetiBox Profi. All sensors displayed alarms, data recording, multiengine, bidirectional data, engine parameters can be modified in flight. Video: https://youtu.be/gE-kaYACaZo

Short range: (to monitor the engine startup and ecu setup): Bluetooth adapter. Your phone becomes the data terminal. Future product, expected by end of April. video: https://youtu.be/SLvKWSqlz-A

On turbine side our FC1 supports now the following turbine manufacturers:

Kingtech: All.
JetsMunt: All.
ATJ: All
Hawk Turbine: All
HYBL turbines: All
Black Mamba: All
Wren: All engines except the PRO series.
Lambert: All using the Xicoy ecu. "Digitech" ecus partially supported, recommended upgrading for improved engine performance.
PST & TJT: All except the ones using "TEMS" ecu.
Jetbeetle: All
JetCat: All from V5
JetCentral: All except the new "SE" series.

Don't hesitate to contact me for any question related to telemetry.

Gaspar

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-06 11.16.03.jpg
Views:	1071
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	2145526   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-06 11.14.52.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	838.2 KB
ID:	2145527  
Old 02-06-2016, 04:54 AM
MattyMatt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome Gaspar!

regarding JR, I see you have the XG14 listed... Have you worked with them on the 28x?
Old 02-06-2016, 06:13 AM
Bobneal1
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gaspar,
If I use two Jetcats (twin) setup do I need 2 flight computers with a Jeti radio?
Old 02-06-2016, 06:28 AM
Gaspar

Originally Posted by Bobneal1
Gaspar,
If I use two Jetcats (twin) setup do I need 2 flight computers with a Jeti radio?
At this moment, yes, but it is planned to support 2 engines on each flight computer to add syncronization functions. I decided to work to first finish the telemetry support for all high end radios and leave the twin engine for the future. I got many more requests for telemetry than for twins.

Haven't not tested in a JR28, but soon will be done.

Gaspar
Old 02-06-2016, 06:36 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Gaspar do I understand correctly this a simple plug and play installation on Jetcat v5 and above?
Old 02-06-2016, 06:44 AM
Carols Love

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can i use this with old style r45 ecu on jetcentral
Old 02-06-2016, 08:08 AM
Gaspar

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Gaspar do I understand correctly this a simple plug and play installation on Jetcat v5 and above?
Yes, but for V5/V6 at this moment you need the adapter RJ12/flat ribbon from JetCat. We will have an equivalent and simpler (no leds) soon.

Gaspar

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JCAdapt.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	2145571   Click image for larger version

Name:	JCadaptB.jpg
Views:	929
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	2145572  

Last edited by Gaspar; 02-06-2016 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-06-2016, 08:10 AM
Gaspar

Originally Posted by Carols Love
can i use this with old style r45 ecu on jetcentral

Yes, in short time. Software is ready, but the RJ45 special lead has not arrived yet, about 2 weeks.

Gaspar
Old 02-06-2016, 09:26 AM
spike5150

Originally Posted by MattyMatt
Awesome Gaspar!

regarding JR, I see you have the XG14 listed... Have you worked with them on the 28x?
I would also like to know the answer to this question - Thanks!!
Old 02-06-2016, 09:54 AM
Gaspar

Originally Posted by spike5150
I would also like to know the answer to this question - Thanks!!
Already replied in post #4...
Old 02-06-2016, 09:59 AM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Excellent progress Gaspar... what is the latest firmware version for FC1 on Jeti radio..

Thanks
Old 02-06-2016, 02:41 PM
Airman98
My Feedback: (9)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes please get telemetry on the 28x. There are several of us in S. Illinois that are waiting for this.
Thanks!!
Old 02-06-2016, 02:41 PM
spike5150

Originally Posted by Gaspar
Already replied in post #4...
woops my bad. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:48 PM
egldriver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm waiting on the 28x update from JR as well. It should make telemetry and other features usable. Thanks for informing all of us of the progress
Old 02-06-2016, 09:56 PM
ZivBit

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Gaspar,

What about Behotec and BF turbines?

Ziv
Old 02-07-2016, 01:54 AM
Gaspar

Hello,

Thanks for your interest. Answers:

@ LA JetGuy: Jeti is fully supported from V1.0. Version 1.1 added the posibility to switch to US units (feet, mph).

@ ZivBit: At this moment is not planned to suport other ecus.

@ JR 28x users: The parametres displayed in the video of the XG14 should be available on the 28x. I will confirm once tested. But don't expect an excellent telemetry system on JR radios, the protocol on the receiver side is extremely slow, for example, it takes 2 seconds to transmit a single set of GPS data.

Gaspar
Old 02-07-2016, 08:06 AM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is good news for me. Just bought a XG14. Finally made the jump back to jr from spectrum.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:39 AM
SkyKnight
My Feedback: (67)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello,

@ LA JetGuy: Jeti is fully supported from V1.0. Version 1.1 added the posibility to switch to US units (feet, mph).

@ JR 28x users: The parametres displayed in the video of the XG14 should be available on the 28x. I will confirm once tested. But don't expect an excellent telemetry system on JR radios, the protocol on the receiver side is extremely slow, for example, it takes 2 seconds to transmit a single set of GPS data.

Gaspar

Gaspar, any update with pricing and availability for the JR line of radios?

Thank you
Old 02-15-2016, 01:37 AM
Gaspar

Originally Posted by SkyKnight
Gaspar, any update with pricing and availability for the JR line of radios?

Thank you
Hello Alan,

If you are happy with the telemetry shown in the JR video on first post, then it is available now on our flight computer (check DreamworksRC or our website for different options). In my opinion, the JR telemetry is very limited, but well, always better something than nothing. The firmware of our Flight computer can be field updated, so if JR allow new features, you will be able to upgrade.

Gaspar
Old 02-15-2016, 06:42 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello,

Gaspar

JR28X needs a sdk to make a plugin for it , so far jr has not released one .
asked for one but it seems they will make their own App for it since all runs on Android.
you cant get to the radio side , only the apps directly.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:55 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hola Gaspar,

How do you manage to get the jetibox screen to look like it does in your video? Mine does not do that when I hook it all up?

thanks

dave
Old 03-19-2016, 06:42 AM
Jgwright

Dave

I recenty asked Gaspar the same question. You have to arrow to the Tx on the bottom menu bar. Then you press right arrow 2 times and Mx appears. I then pressed down arrow and it then displays the normal Xicoy display. Once you have displayed it the Jeti box seems to retain it in the memory so you can switch between the usual parameters and the tx engine screen without having to do all the arrow presses. If you turn off it does not remember it.

This means you can use the Jeti box as an EDT but you cannot edit it just view it.

I am just getting to grips with the Jeti box amazing bit of kit. Reminder for all that you can use it with any Rx and send the telemetry signals via the supplied Jeti Rx. I use mine with 18SZ and an 14 channel Rx. I have a FC1 installed in the plane. On my first flight with it I found that the Rx regulator switch was not supplying sufficient voltage and the FC1 was tripping out. The Futaba Rx is amazing as it did not cause any problems with the widely fluctuating voltage but I guess it would have only been a matter of time.... the FC1/jeti certainly saved me a plane. Don't forget that both the Jeti box and the FC1 store data for later download.

John
Old 03-19-2016, 07:02 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Current Wea software only support GPS and LinkVario sensor. Single engine. Unknown if alarms can be set. The GPS sensor on the FC1 is correctly displayed, but the engine data is displayed emulating the LinkVario sensor, developed for an electric motor, so the RPM is displayed in Amperes and fuel used in mAh. Video: [URL
https://youtu.be/dMU0eas5qWQ[/URL]
Don't hesitate to contact me for any question related to telemetry.
Gaspar
Interested on using this with Weatronic Bat 60. I could not see the hardware connections. Where does the unit connect to? Mux-Box, LinkVario, other?
Is there anything else needed?
Thanks.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:52 AM
Jgwright

I just heard that using the Jetibox you can also use the arrows as keys to access all the Xicoy ECU functions and are not limited to just viewing it.

John
Old 03-21-2016, 01:31 AM
Gaspar

Originally Posted by Jgwright
I just heard that using the Jetibox you can also use the arrows as keys to access all the Xicoy ECU functions and are not limited to just viewing it.
John
Yes, when you are in the JetiBox mode, thatis accessed like John explained, you can use the Jetibox buttons to navigate through the ecu menus, you can change parameters while in flight... See the finalpart of this video (from minute 2:30), all navigation is done through the JetiBox buttons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE-kaYACaZo Gaspar

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.