Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR9303 Tx. FAILURE

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 05:46 AM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default JR9303 Tx. FAILURE

Question.......for the first time in my 54years in this hobby, a Tx. has completely failed while in service ( fortunately while in the shop).

Tx. is totally non operational. Not a thing works, no output, nothing on the screen after power up and screen goes black in 5 seconds after turning on. Battery is working fine under load test.

How frequent is this event with a JR9303 Tx. and how many of you encountered such an event???

One other note, this Tx. was purchased in 2006. However, like I have stated in the beginning of this thread, In 54 years, I have never encountered any type of Tx. "Electronic" failure of any type and only (1) Tx. battery failure while in flight with a fatal outcome for the model.

I seek input not to condem anything or anyone but to get a feel for the frequency of total Tx. failures of this nature. In particular the subject JR9303 Tx.

Thank you for your feedback in advance,
Kerry S.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:23 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you checked the fuse?
Old 05-04-2016, 08:39 AM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on checking the fuse. Very common condition with JR radios.
Also note. While it look like the fuse is marked as .3A, it is in fact a 3A fuse. A .3A fuse would be marked as 3/10A.
Pete
Old 05-04-2016, 12:02 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I don’t agree with Pete that it is common for the fuse to blow, it is the first thing I would check. In the twenty or so years of owning JR transmitters, I’ve only had one fuse blow on mine and I can recollect that it occurred another time with a fellow pilot.

Allan
Old 05-04-2016, 01:09 PM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, does it have a clock battery? I had a JR that did and was completely dead until I sent back and they replaced. No don't think the newer transmitters use a clock battery any more. They told me this small battery that keeps the memory should last 10 years, but mine had lasted 6-7

regards

bob
Old 05-04-2016, 01:24 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought one (9303) used once, similar symptoms, simply dead. I picked it up cheap, the original owner said that after he charged it, it wouldn't work. I was figuring that he'd plugged a futaba-type charger into the jr-jack, and the resulting reverse polarity blew the fuse.

When I got it - yep, the fuse was blown. Replaced the fuse, TX still didn't work - either a dark screen or nothing on the screen. turns out the computer board in the TX had failed, had to be replaced.

I'm thinking the fuse isn't blown, since he says the screen goes black. And LCD screen normally doesn't do that if there's no power, and if it goes black a few seconds after turn on, then SOMETHING is getting power and not working correctly.

Sounds like a trip to the repair folks, mine went to Horizon and they replaced the board in the TX. Worked fine after that.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:49 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an 8103 go dead because of an internal memory battery. Thankfully it did not cause a crash, but I noticed it the next time I was going to fly and obviously was grounded. When I replaced that radio with a 9303 I specifically looked up the memory battery longevity for that reason. I was pleased to see that the 9303 and newer radios did not use a memory battery. So that will not be your problem. I suspect that as mentioned before, a trip to the repair shop due to board problems is your issue. I haven't had any problems with the 9303 (knock on wood)

And to be specific about your question, the original 8103's battery went dead in approx 6 years (I later found the manual indicated 5 years battery life) and I've been in the hobby for well over 25 years. No other radio failures.

Rafael

Last edited by Rafael23cc; 05-04-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:13 PM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9303 has no internal battery. Your computer board has gone out. If you send it in to horizon they will replace it for a reasonable price. All your programing will be gone it will be as new. They told me a old battery was the cause. I have sense put in a enoloop battery
Freddy Schneider
Old 05-05-2016, 05:48 AM
RC Pilot 007

send it in

i always good luck with jr radio and great servcie from horizon
Old 05-05-2016, 05:51 AM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to all that have provided a response to my query. For the record, the fuse was fine. Per these responses and as junkjet pointed out, with this type of likely failure, my worst fear is that all of my model programming is lost and a repair will not restore them.

It served me extremely well with no regrets.

Thanks again for the valuable feedback.
Kerry S.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:52 PM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Kerry,
I also have one of the first JR X9303 transmitters (purchased many years ago) which exhibited similar symptoms as yours. I shipped it back to Horizon and they replaced the fuse at No Charge. I did not lose any of the model programming during this incident. Note that it VERY easy to blow the fuse while plugging in the charger. I now turn the transmitter ON when connecting the charge plug into the transmitter socket- the charger light will be OFF in this condition. Once connected, I turn OFF the transmitter and the charger light comes on indicating normal charging. I learned this trick from my JR PCM-10, won at Jets Over Deland back in 1990.
Another note is that you MAY have to rebind all of your receivers bound to this X9303. I discovered this when I sent the transmitter back to Horizon last year due to a broken antenna- wind blew the tranny off the starting stand. Evidently Horizon updates the GUID or some other function during the repair. Again there was No Charge for this. Let me know how all this turns out. Hope to see you in July for the 4th Annual Highland Jets event. Take care, regards to the family.
Art ARRO