Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Looking for Clockwork Picco

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 02:02 AM
GodFire62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Clockwork Picco

Hello,
I'm looking for a new engine for my Savage XL. Heard that clockwork Picco engines are extraordinary !
But I'm unable to find one of them...

Where can I find a .28 clockwork picco engine ?

Thank you !
Old 05-22-2016, 03:45 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Send a PM to Supertib. He isn't with Clockwork anymore, but runs his own shop. Thenitroshop.com.

Be aware - he's a busy guy so you may have to wait a bit to hear back from him.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:39 AM
GodFire62

Ok, thank you for this answer...
Just a question, a clockwork engine is a modified engine, who was tuned before the purchase ?
Old 05-22-2016, 05:16 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by GodFire62
Ok, thank you for this answer...
Just a question, a clockwork engine is a modified engine, who was tuned before the purchase ?
Clockwork is just one company that modifies engines. When an engine is modified, it gets custom tailored to the task it's going to perform. Some engines are modified when new and other folks send their own engines new or used to be modified. Supertib used to run Clockwork but has since opened a new ship under the name I listed previously.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:13 AM
GodFire62

OK, Thank you very much !
Old 05-22-2016, 07:43 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello I am the former co owner of Clockwork Racing ... my email is [email protected]

The Picco 28 is a fantastic engine !! so are several others such as the Nova 28-8 and the LRP 30 and .32
Old 05-22-2016, 08:31 AM
GodFire62

Hello ! I had the LRP ZR32, but he has broke. Little fragment of metal from the engine case scratched the case. Since, I have no confidence in LRP engines...
That's why I was looking about new brand and found Picco.

I heard good things about the .28... Have you got this one ? What do you think about the Picco Boost 5TR .28 Turbo? Should I buy this one, a new LRP ZR32 or the traditionnal Picco P3.28 for my Savage XL Monster truck? I have a 200€ budget. And the HPI exhaust line...

Thank you for your futur answer !

Nathan
Old 05-22-2016, 02:31 PM
supertib

Hello ! I had the LRP ZR32, but he has broke. Little fragment of metal from the engine case scratched the case. Since, I have no confidence in LRP engines...
That's why I was looking about new brand and found Picco.

I heard good things about the .28... Have you got this one ? What do you think about the Picco Boost 5TR .28 Turbo? Should I buy this one, a new LRP ZR32 or the traditionnal Picco P3.28 for my Savage XL Monster truck? I have a 200€ budget. And the HPI exhaust line...

Thank you for your futur answer !

Nathan
I do not have the Picco 28 in stock...but i can get it quickly if needed....... The Picco is a very well made engine, i would suggest the newest Boost version as it will have all the updates to the engine, including a updated carb....

For $299.00 USD you could get a modified " Clocked " Nova 28-8 or a LRP 30..........

its hard for me to recommend which one to get....Picco is a top notch brand but Novarossi is every bit as good, especially their 28 ( In some ways its better ) ..The LRP's when Clocked are more powerful, especially the 32 , but they aren't as durable ...

IMO the Novarossi Rex 28-8 is probably the best choice when you consider all the factors....they are super well built, tune easy and make crazy ass amounts of power....
Old 05-22-2016, 03:04 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I haven't ran my 28-8 yet, but I've run the Picco .28 for about 5 quarts of fuel and it's a total beast. I find the Picco more refined, and the piston/liner fit is tighter in the Picco. I don't know how picky the Nova is on glow plugs, but the Picco is kinda picky. Maybe the newer versions of the Piccos aren't as picky? The glow plug deal is my only real complaint with the Picco. I ordered some P6S plugs for my P3 .28.

Neal - does Picco still make the P3 .28s or are they discontinued in favor of the Boost series?
Old 05-22-2016, 04:46 PM
supertib

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I haven't ran my 28-8 yet, but I've run the Picco .28 for about 5 quarts of fuel and it's a total beast. I find the Picco more refined, and the piston/liner fit is tighter in the Picco. I don't know how picky the Nova is on glow plugs, but the Picco is kinda picky. Maybe the newer versions of the Piccos aren't as picky? The glow plug deal is my only real complaint with the Picco. I ordered some P6S plugs for my P3 .28.

Neal - does Picco still make the P3 .28s or are they discontinued in favor of the Boost series?
Only the Boost now.... all turbo head

I use Nova plugs in my Nova's... OS in my OS, Picco in my Picco... pretty much with turbo engines its usually best to stick to the manufactures plug....some guys get away with running all sorts of plugs in all different engines, but I tend to play it safe....

The new Picco's are much looser then the older P3 28's.... same with the newer Nova's ..back in the day the old Nova's were nasty tight and guys had too many issues...when the target market is MT's they had to learn to better fit the pistons as a starterbox is much easier to use when dealing with a tight engine as opposed to a pullstart or rotostart ... Add in that the material quality of the engines was high so the breakin procedure usually lasted longer then the attention span of the user... These days the new Boost is fairly well fitted just like the Novarossi, much faster breakins and much less wear and tear on the OWB assemblies.....

On my engine I hand lap the pistons on any tighter engines.... reduces breakin time and drastically reduces the chances of a scuffed piston,,,,

Last edited by supertib; 05-22-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:20 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I don't understand why you would want to lap a Ringless aluminum piston to a brass liner that's gonna expand when hot. On paper it sounds nice for a quick break-in, but it also sounds like it takes life off the P/L set at the same time. I can understand doing this with the old Meehanite piston in a steel liner type of construction - those types of engines took gallons to break-in. But an ABC? I'd never allow that kind of thing in my engines. No offense.

On the flip - I'm glad I grabbed an extra piston/liner for my P3. I don't mind long break-ins and tight engines. Tight engines to me mean I'm getting my money's worth out of it.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:40 PM
supertib

I don't understand why you would want to lap a Ringless aluminum piston to a brass liner that's gonna expand when hot. On paper it sounds nice for a quick break-in, but it also sounds like it takes life off the P/L set at the same time. I can understand doing this with the old Meehanite piston in a steel liner type of construction - those types of engines took gallons to break-in. But an ABC? I'd never allow that kind of thing in my engines. No offense.

On the flip - I'm glad I grabbed an extra piston/liner for my P3. I don't mind long break-ins and tight engines. Tight engines to me mean I'm getting my money's worth out of it.

Actually it is not done inside the sleeve !

The results are actually quite good as not only dos it reduce breakin time but it also trues the piston which is often not perfectly round....What we end up with a lower friction piston that makes a better overall seal....Just lapping the piston alone makes a measurable increase in power over a traditionally broken in engine !!! In fact a few of the factory tuned engines feature fitted pistons ..
Old 05-22-2016, 05:59 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by supertib
Actually it is not done inside the sleeve !

The results are actually quite good as not only dos it reduce breakin time but it also trues the piston which is often not perfectly round....What we end up with a lower friction piston that makes a better overall seal....Just lapping the piston alone makes a measurable increase in power over a traditionally broken in engine !!! In fact a few of the factory tuned engines feature fitted pistons ..
I know you don't lap the piston inside the liner... But in my eyes, taking material off of a piston will to some degree shorten the life of that piston and liner set. Does it have some benefits? Sure... But any modification to a model engine has to be a compromise. In a racing environment where likely an engine will last a season... Maybe two - and get replaced, I can see it being beneficial. For someone who isnt going to replace it in a year or two, the benefits go away. At least the way I see it. If lapping ABC Pistons is standard practice for all modified engines, I wouldn't get an engine done. Not trying to beat you up Neal... Just not on the same team as far as this goes. If we were working with an aluminum liner with an extremely low expansion rate, then I would be on board.

If these engine companies were really "into" innovation and wanted to bring something more advantageous to the table, they would use hard chrome plated aluminum liners. They weigh less and don't lose their fit nearly as quickly. The fit feels the same warm as it does cold. You don't get that kind of fit with a high expansion metal like brass.

Sorry for for the off topic rants.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 05-22-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:07 PM
supertib

the lapped engines are much more user friendly and definitely faster

these pistons aren't as true as i think ! there are high and low spots in the machining and the lapping basically trues the piston and removes the high spots, this ensures an overall better seal then a traditional in car breakin....... I use 1500 AO grease in a specially made lapping die..........Another area is with piston damage, these high revving race engines can be prone to piston scuffing and removing the high spots on the piston dramatically reduces the occurrence of this happening .....

Also consider we repinch our engines these days, many guys believe the engines aren't at their prime til they have been repinched once....
Old 05-22-2016, 06:19 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Since I'm not on the racing side of the fence, some parts of what you do I'll never understand. If you literally are removing microscopic amounts of material, then fine..

Ive seen the pinching dies on eBay and stuff... For how much I run my engines, I'd never need to get it done (re-pinching)... I've yet to wear out a P/L set in almost 20 years and that's with running 99% RTR engines on (up until about 3-4 years ago) commercially available hobby shop swill (fuel). I noticed a big (good) change in engine behavior when I started using my own fuel blends I mixed myself.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:38 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Is there a current production (or another Picco re-branded engine) head button that will fit a P3 that takes turbo plugs?
Old 05-23-2016, 08:10 AM
GodFire62

Hello ! Thank you all for your replies !

Supertib, what changes are made on the Boost .28 5TR by Clockwork ?

How do you explain this price difference ? 190$ /299$ = 110$

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Novarossi-Re...sAAOSw~OVW01f1

Are you sure that 110$ makes a difference between a clocked and non-clocked Nova 28-8 Engine ?

Last edited by GodFire62; 05-23-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:35 AM
supertib

Hello ! Thank you all for your replies !

Supertib, what changes are made on the Boost .28 5TR by Clockwork ?

How do you explain this price difference ? 190$ /299$ = 110$

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Novarossi-Re...sAAOSw~OVW01f1

Are you sure that 110$ makes a difference between a clocked and non-clocked Nova 28-8 Engine ?
All sorts of little changes....timing tweaks, lightening the reciprocating mass , compression, deck height etc etc... I use a inertial dyno to develop and quantify my work... So yes my " Clocked " engines are noticeably and measurably more power then their stock counterparts....you wouldn't be paying for snake oil that is for sure...
Old 05-23-2016, 09:02 AM
GodFire62

Ok, thank you very much ! I'll come back to you in few days !
Old 05-27-2016, 06:52 AM
Anthoop

Lapping is an option for racers to use notoriously tight engines without time consumed....it will reduce life of the piston/liner....might make the rod/crank/bearings last longer....
Having a totally round piston on a two stroke is wrong due to the piston seeing such varying temperatures in differrrent areas....you can only make the piston and liner fit together properly by bedding them im together under running conditions...
Back along there were many engines that would take a gaallon and more of fuel before they would free up.....hence the short cut for racers with more money than patience.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:12 AM
Anthoop

Is there a current production (or another Picco re-branded engine) head button that will fit a P3 that takes turbo plugs?
PP2347 is the part number for the turbo head button from Schumacher for the Picco.28...
Old 05-27-2016, 07:31 AM
supertib

Originally Posted by Anthoop
Lapping is an option for racers to use notoriously tight engines without time consumed....it will reduce life of the piston/liner....might make the rod/crank/bearings last longer....
Having a totally round piston on a two stroke is wrong due to the piston seeing such varying temperatures in differrrent areas....you can only make the piston and liner fit together properly by bedding them im together under running conditions...
Back along there were many engines that would take a gaallon and more of fuel before they would free up.....hence the short cut for racers with more money than patience.

so over the last 7 years I have lapped roughly around 1000 engines that were used in competition...I have as well done roughly another 2000 that were not lapped and used in competition..... ultimately the lapped engines do need to be re-pinched faster if you count all the gallons the engines had run, but if we counted the gallons of peak performance the lapped engines give a longer lifespan..... its true a tighter sleeve lasts longer, but its also true it takes upwards of 2 gallons for a quality engine to drop its nuts and reach peak performance...by contrast the fitted engine is at peak performance right out of the gate and is safe to use in competition with no risk of piston damage, something we have issues with in a tight sleeve.......

now next time I have a bad piston I will take pictures to show the high spots some of these can have, and why I prefer to lap the engines before breakin..its not all about saving time, there are substantial performance and durability gains to to be made by doing this...a properly lapped piston is far less prone to scuffing then is a non lapped piston.... and this scuffing can be a real issue on some of these faster accelerating competition engines

As I say I have worked on thousands of competition engines over the years, by dyno tests they are the most powerful land nitro's on the planet, they are used in all levels of competition from professional to novice...they have been used to win National, provincial, Regional and State championships....set records in oval, drag and top speed as well as pulling so at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding !
Old 05-27-2016, 07:47 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Fair enough. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:48 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

PP2347 is the part number for the turbo head button from Schumacher for the Picco.28...
Thanks for that part number. I had read on some other forums about the Schumacher Picco having a turbo head, but came up short for a part number and I hadn't found a Picco FTT head button for sale anywhere. I'll do some looking around for the Schumacher head. Thanks again!!
Old 05-27-2016, 07:57 AM
supertib

when I lap a piston I take off so little that you would need lab equipment to measure the difference...i just basically use the lap to remove any high spots !