Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

72mHz vs 2.4gHz

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:10 AM
gunnarmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72mHz vs 2.4gHz

I am using a 72mHz Futaba on my trainer and I am about to step up to my next plane. This radio has always worked well for me - never had any issues. Should I just hang on to this radio or should I upgrade? Are the benefits of 2.4gHz really worth all the money I would have to spend?
Old 05-25-2016, 10:21 AM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Well...I seem to be stuck in the past. I have used 72Mhz exclusively for 30 years and I have never lost a plane. I have had some glitches on an airfield next to the I-15 probably caused by illegal CB'ers. Now, since most RC'ers have switched to 2.4G, I have little worry about someone else shooting me down. Our club still maintains a Freq Pin board, but I am usually the only one who uses it regularly.

I do have one electronic ignition gas Warbird that has yet to be flown. This is the only real reason for me to go to 2.4G. I have a 2.4G module and rx ready to go. Now I said that was the only reason for ME. Your situation may be different.

2.4G Pro's: invulnerable to being shot down by another Tx. Resists electronic ignition interference.
2.4G Con's: reduced range and possibly less secure bind.

I've seen too many 2.4G systems lose bind for no apparent reason. Usually just on the bench, but some experienced flyers have lost planes as well. Just yesterday my buddy crashed his plane claiming he had zero control after hovering on the deck for about 5 minutes. This is the second plane he has lost due to 2.4G issues of mysterious origin. The first was a Spectrum and the second an Orange with two separate transmitters. These observations are of course anecdotal and can not be proved one way or another what truly happened. If 72Mhz was banned tomorrow, I would not have any issue switching to 2.4, but 72Mhz still works for me.

Last edited by warhwk; 05-25-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:23 AM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

600 posts!!! WHOO-HOOOO!!
Old 05-25-2016, 10:34 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

IMHO, if you're comfortable with 72MHz on any given plane, stay with it. I've been flying (RC) since 1972 and ALL my own planes are still on 72MHz, and I don't plan to upgrade any time soon. 72MHz is still legal, and will remain so for a long long time. 27MHz is still legal too, and with CB dying out as it has, I'm sure 27 is safer than it was a few decades ago too.

However, (also IMHO) if I were just starting out on the hobby I would probably opt for 2.4GHz. It definitely IS the way of the future.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:38 AM
gunnarmm

Haha thanks for the insight! Also, glad I could facilitate your 600th post!
Old 05-26-2016, 04:10 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

I used to fly on the 72mhz band but have switched to the ham band and I see no reason to go to 2.4ghz. Many member's of the club I am in have had quite a few problems with interference on the 2.4ghz band and a lot of them have switched back to the 72 or ham band.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:12 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

My answer is the same as on your post on RCG. If you are comfortable with 20 year old technology, stick with it. Its your money
Old 05-26-2016, 06:54 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

One advantage to 72MHz is there are only two transmission protocols when using FM. That means you can use both Futaba and Hitec receivers with your Futaba transmitter. On 2.4GHz, however, there are many transmission protocols and with so many Chinese radios you have to be careful that the receiver you buy works with the transmitter you have.
One disadvantage to 72MHz is that some elitist clubs are banning 72MHz. I guess they don't want to keep up the frequency board.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:38 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

I have heard about some clubs banning the 72mhz, this seem odd since the 72mhz is a good band to be on since everyone else is moving to 2.4ghz. I don't think the club I am in will ban the 72mhz since there has been more problems with the 2.4ghz band than with the 72, 50 0r 53mhz band combined in the recent past.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:39 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
One disadvantage to 72MHz is that some elitist clubs are banning 72MHz. I guess they don't want to keep up the frequency board.
That word is completely out of place. There are a myriad of reasons why a club decides to separate themselves from 72MHZ, to include liability during an event. (it does away with the radio impound, remember those?). The perspective of the problem differs from the point from which you are looking.

As far as interference is concerned, there is no better laboratory than the Joe Nall Fun Fly and the IRCHA Jamboree (1000+ registered pilots in multiple flight lines) to have a 2.4 saturated environment. And I do not see / hear of aircraft falling out of the sky at those events.

Rafael
Old 05-26-2016, 11:52 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I so miss the days of bent and broken telescoping antennas, frequency clips and crystal changes....

On 2nd thought.... NO I DON'T....
Old 05-26-2016, 01:41 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The main problem I see with using 72MHz equipment is the equipment itself. It is getting old which means that components like capacitors, ceramic filters and discriminators and even crystals are also aging and neither of these components improve with age. If the equipment has been stored in a fairly stable environment without excess humidity or heat, you're probably OK. Just be aware this equipment doesn't last forever without some service from time to time.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:54 PM
crash1ace

I too plan on sticking with my 72Mhz system. Habe too much invested in it to just throw out for the new stuff. Our club still uses the pin board, for both the
27,72 and 2.4 (yes we require a tag still ). I have yet to ever have a radio glitch I'm glad to say too.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:24 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually Joe Nall has rules because they have had saturation in the early days. I prefer 72. Yes you have to play by the rules, but are we not suppose to anyway. We had to be gentlemen or ladies. 2.4 always seems like a free for all. 2.4 is a trash band. We will pay for it down the road. Im stuck getting a 2.4 radio to fly contests. I think is it is AMA sanctioned 72 should still be an option. You have to have 2.4 to fly the NATS or pattern. In other parts of the world there are 2.4 jammers for things like theaters. Illegal for the US, but some have made it here. One could pay havoc. I think the 433mhz has some promise except no major brands play in it . If your only radio is a Kraft, maybe something newer is not a bad idea. I do still keep enough Kraft stuff to keep a couple of sets going.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:01 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Keep in mind 2.4 is only the operating frequency and is not responsible for any of the "magic" every one sees with the new systems. The magic comes from "spread spectrum frequency control utilizing frequency hopping" technology. With out that , the 2.4 band we are on is garbage, and our radios would not be useable. And, like any broadcast radio signal, 2.4 can receive interference, especially in the systems that do not hop frequencies.

FYI: We share 2.4 with a lot of stuff; toys, wifi, microwaves, etc. 72 is dedicated to model use only.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:50 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Percifield

. 72 is dedicated to model use only.

Not to be argumentative but I think with a little research you will find that on the entire 72 band there are industrial channels interspersed between each of the hobby band channels and that even on our assigned hobby channels we are secondary users. If we cause interference for the industrial user then we must cease and desist.

John
Old 05-31-2016, 05:34 PM
TFF

I have been watching the used market because I need to have a 2.4 in my arsenal, and the market has hit its first generation drop out. 72 MHZ went through the original channels, the interim narrower band, and the final narrow band with FM and PCM overtones. 2.4GHZ is hitting the first change. New radios with the telemetry are making high end radios of just a few years ago fall in price. It is making things like 72 MHZ Futaba 9Cs and JR 9 X go for nothing and 9Zs and 10Xs go for less than a straight 6 2.4 radio. Anything vintage even if narrow band FM is worthless unless gutted for 2.4. I like 72 but unless you want to get something like a 9Z 10X, and want to deal with its program style or a 9C or 9X on the easier programing, buy 2.4. It is really sad to say that.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:10 PM
MastuhWaffles

So I actually have one that's at 75Mhz, and I haven't found any interference yet it seems to work fine.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:57 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TFF
...Anything vintage even if narrow band FM is worthless unless gutted for 2.4. ...
If your JR or Futaba or Hitec radio takes a module, all you need to do is get an appropriate Spektrum module to plug into your radio (Fut/Hit = DM8, JR = DM9). No need to "gut" it - you can keep the old programming you're used to, and get the benefit of 2.4gHz for those events you want/need it.

Andy
Old 06-10-2016, 09:58 AM
AndyKunz

Originally Posted by MastuhWaffles
So I actually have one that's at 75Mhz, and I haven't found any interference yet it seems to work fine.
75MHz is only legal for cars and boats, not for planes.

Andy
Old 06-10-2016, 09:05 PM
TFF

I know how to do it, I dont want or like it. Im not even an old guy who could have bought a Kraft Signature new; I was around 10-12 when they were new. I think there is a part of the hobby we are giving away and most dont know it. I have resisted modules because I will go native to go 2.4, I just think there is no need. I show up with a Kraft sometimes just to mess with all the retired guys who got in the hobby when they retired. If it is not PNP they cant play.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:09 AM
AndyKunz

That's fun, I'm sure. I have a couple Krafts that I converted to Spektrum. Messes with the guys who think I forgot to extend the antenna Photos of my desk at work.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Krafts.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	960.4 KB
ID:	2167297   Click image for larger version

Name:	radios.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	2167298  
Old 06-11-2016, 06:54 AM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For those who don't know much about electronics soldering etc and want to keep their radios, annylink or annylink2 is a good solution. I received one from a friend and place in my Futaba T6ex and works fantastic. I added a switch to cut the voltage to the 72Mhz output circuit. STL is a good protocol with a nice failsafe and the RX are cheap.

I have few 2,4 and work fine, but the T6ex with Futaba "PCM" receivers was almost impossible to hack, believe me.

The problem with actual technology is that most come from cheap Chinese manufacturers and use to fails from time to time. The Turnigy 9x is an example, advanced technology but poor quality and you will have to change the TX and Rx to a safest protocol, the reason the 9xr doesn't provide Tx module.

My humble opinion is that new technologies are that, new, then probably for RC non professional any good 72Mhz FM radio would work, and in the end better than a cheap 2,4 of 15 bucks.