Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

AMA and the World Drone Championchips in Hawaii.

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA and the World Drone Championchips in Hawaii.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:54 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AMA and the World Drone Championchips in Hawaii.

http://khon2.com/2016/10/17/world-dr...-kualoa-ranch/

http://dronesportsassociation.com/

The views and small video clips so far look amazing. 200 Pilots from over 38 countries in one of the worlds most exotic locals.

Reports are already in that the AMA is involved and making sure the courses are set in a safe manner, just as they did at the Governors Island event this past summer.

Looking forward to watching the event on ESPN and seeing the results as they come in.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:56 PM
porcia83
Banned

Found a video

http://<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y4U_i-TH6X0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-20-2016, 04:56 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Does anyone want to watch that video and tell me where the required by AMA document #550 spotter was stationed in those woods ? Once you get past the airliner arriving at the airport footage we have FPV footage of flying through the woods and it's plainly obvious that no LOS spotter could have had eyes on that drone as it flew .

I guess as long as it's the "world championships" we don't have to follow the AMA safety code , huh ?
Old 10-20-2016, 05:02 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Does anyone want to watch that video and tell me where the required by AMA document #550 spotter was stationed in those woods ? Once you get past the airliner arriving at the airport footage we have FPV footage of flying through the woods and it's plainly obvious that no LOS spotter could have had eyes on that drone as it flew .

I guess as long as it's the "world championships" we don't have to follow the AMA safety code , huh ?
Not to mention the lack of AMA content in the original post.

I think this thread should be moved to the appropriate drone forum, it could use a little stimulation, not much activity over there.

Astro
Old 10-20-2016, 05:09 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by astrohog

I think this thread should be moved to the appropriate drone forum, it could use a little stimulation, not much activity over there.

Astro
Hi Astro ,

I just can't wait to hear the excuse of why it's OK to brush the spotter requirement aside just because it's a "burdensome" hinderance to these drones zipping around the woods like that ? Now , correct me if I'm wrong but Hawaii IS a US state , right ? And that AMA rules are supposed to be being followed at AMA sponsored events here in the US ? And people wonder why Drone flying , BLOS drone flying more specifically , is looked down on here by most respondents ?

So since we can just go and toss the spotter requirement out the window when we see fit , I am led to wonder how many OTHER AMA rules are just SO confining for the flying camera boys that they don't have to follow them either ?

It's darned near impossible to practice "see and avoid" when no one has actual eyes on the RC craft being flown BLOS , now ain't it ?

Last edited by init4fun; 10-20-2016 at 05:12 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:33 AM
astrohog

Hi Astro ,

I just can't wait to hear the excuse of why it's OK to brush the spotter requirement aside just because it's a "burdensome" hinderance to these drones zipping around the woods like that ? Now , correct me if I'm wrong but Hawaii IS a US state , right ? And that AMA rules are supposed to be being followed at AMA sponsored events here in the US ? And people wonder why Drone flying , BLOS drone flying more specifically , is looked down on here by most respondents ?

So since we can just go and toss the spotter requirement out the window when we see fit , I am led to wonder how many OTHER AMA rules are just SO confining for the flying camera boys that they don't have to follow them either ?

It's darned near impossible to practice "see and avoid" when no one has actual eyes on the RC craft being flown BLOS , now ain't it ?
I think you mentioned your concerns about this in another thread. I see it happen ALL the time (FPV operations with no spotter), both at my flying field (AMA required) as well as out in the general public arena (not sure those who are flying away from the field are AMA or not). When I have reminded those at my field that they require a spotter, they get upset, brush it off and continue with their activities. It is clear that they either do not know the rules, or don't care. Either way, it is a problem. It is part of the reason I believe that the AMA needs to provide some separation from the drones. It (the AMA) is simply NOT set up to be able to monitor flying activities to assure compliance to the rules, yet those that don't follow the rules and make the six o'clock news DO reflect on the AMA's reputation and the general public's and FAA's feelings about RC activity.

Regards,

Astro
Old 10-20-2016, 05:33 AM
porcia83
Banned

Astro
"Reports are already in that the AMA is involved and making sure the courses are set in a safe manner, just as they did at the Governors Island event this past summer"
Old 10-20-2016, 05:35 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by porcia83
"Reports are already in that the AMA is involved and making sure the courses are set in a safe manner, just as they did at the Governors Island event this past summer"
LOL. Weak. Remember context? It is clear you posted here to stir the pot. Deny it if you want, but everybody else can see through your (very thin) veil.

Astro
Old 10-20-2016, 05:46 AM
init4fun

One thing's for sure , till someone can show me the spotter's stations in those trees , those flights aren't #550 compliant .

Or maybe there really ARE two sets of safety codes ? One for us , as Franklin calls us "the unwashed masses" , and one for the higher ups who feel that attracting the droners at all costs , even the cost of going against the same #550 the rest of us has to follow , is well worth breaking the very requirements that we ALL are led to believe ALL are to follow ?

Maybe Franklin's royalty or religious analogies really weren't all that far off of the mark ?

Edited because I was replying to Astro's post #6 , but quoted the wrong post instead , and so I have removed the mistaken quote .

Last edited by init4fun; 10-20-2016 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:50 AM
porcia83
Banned

I think you mentioned your concerns about this in another thread. I see it happen ALL the time (FPV operations with no spotter), both at my flying field (AMA required) as well as out in the general public arena (not sure those who are flying away from the field are AMA or not). When I have reminded those at my field that they require a spotter, they get upset, brush it off and continue with their activities. It is clear that they either do not know the rules, or don't care. Either way, it is a problem. It is part of the reason I believe that the AMA needs to provide some separation from the drones. It (the AMA) is simply NOT set up to be able to monitor flying activities to assure compliance to the rules, yet those that don't follow the rules and make the six o'clock news DO reflect on the AMA's reputation and the general public's and FAA's feelings about RC activity.

Regards,

Astro
If there is a problem at your field, it should be dealt with at your field. If your fellow members are ignoring you that's something you need to deal with. Perhaps a new safety officer is needed, or a more effective leadership team assuming you brought the matter to their attention. If someone keeps breaking the rules and isn't held accountable, the problems will persist.

More calls for and us and them approach, ie Separation isn't going to solve any purported problem. The AMA isn't set up to monitor flying activities at fields now to ensure compliance of rules, how is separating going to make a difference? The AMA has already provided guidance on the MR usage, just as they have on Turbines. Ultimately it's up to members to comply or not, the AMA can't be everywhere all the time. They were however at the Governors Island event, and currently at this one. Other than someone watching a video and complaining, I haven't heard any other complaints. Looking forward to more videos and updates on the event. The location looks fantastic.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:57 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by porcia83
Other than someone watching a video and complaining,

Dismiss it as complaining all you want to , but till I see a spotter , that is not #550 FPV flight as the rest of the AMA membership is expected to abide by . The double standard may be just fine with you , but I'm betting there ARE gonna be some folks who have a problem with that .

So we have one AMA #550 for the "ruling class" and a different AMA #550 for the "unwashed masses" . Thank You for confirming that .......
Old 10-20-2016, 06:00 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by rcmiket
When you put all your eggs in one basket ( as the AMA has done) you have no choice but to "play" with the rules when you have to..

Mike
Amazing just how , , , Flexible , the rules can get for some , now isn't it ?
Old 10-20-2016, 06:02 AM
porcia83
Banned

LOL. Weak. Remember context? It is clear you posted here to stir the pot. Deny it if you want, but everybody else can see through your (very thin) veil.

Astro
I posted information about an event that the AMA is involved in that might be of interest to others. Nobody is forced to comment if they don't want to. That report was just posted yesterday here in these threads from someone who was in contact with one of the pilots on the ground. He mentioned specific actions the AMA took to ensure the event in NY was handled safely, and they are are doing the same thing in Hawaii. Not sure how much more factual it can be than hearing from someone involved in both events.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:24 AM
astrohog

Factual? I never questioned that. I questioned the relevance here in the AMA forums. The AMA was not the main focus of the OP, rather a very insignificant portion of it. Not to mention init4fun's observation that there didn't seem to be spotters present. So much for the AMA being on site to assure a "safe" race course.

Astro
Old 10-20-2016, 07:06 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Factual? I never questioned that. I questioned the relevance here in the AMA forums. The AMA was not the main focus of the OP, rather a very insignificant portion of it. Not to mention init4fun's observation that there didn't seem to be spotters present. So much for the AMA being on site to assure a "safe" race course.

Astro
There is no relevance and once again he's just trying to stir the pot. what else is new?
Just how many "World Championships" are there? Kinda taints the so called "sport" when there's than one doesn't it?

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-20-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:53 AM
porcia83
Banned

Astro
There is no relevance and once again he's just trying to stir the pot. what else is new?
Just how many "World Championships" are there? Kinda taints the so called "sport" when there's than one doesn't it?

Mike
Again, nobody is forcing either of you to respond. If you don't like the pot or whats in it, hit the back button, or simply don't respond and nothing is stirred. That the AMA is involved in these events, and actually suggested changes to the course and flying in order to ensure compliant with established safety rules, is absolutely on point and relevant to the AMA threads. I believe it was you that was complaining about the AMA's lack of ability to oversee and regulate this kind of activity, and here is a specific example of them doing exactly that, not only once, but twice. If you feel the thread is off topic feel free to report it.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:25 AM
init4fun

Edited because my question kinda answered itself

Last edited by init4fun; 10-20-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:53 AM
porcia83
Banned

I've looked for some updates on what's going on with the event, if I find more video I'll post that up for review. The AMA site doesn't usually provide daily updates on events, they usually will go through highlights after the fact and follow up with a story in the MA mag. So I checked District X's website to see if there were any updates or even notices of the event posted there.
The site hasn't been updated in over a year.

So I checked the district VP's campaign page and noted lots of visits to clubs and events outside of his district, guess he's visiting Texas this week. All the events appear to be fixed wing, can't even find a picture of a heli.

I would have thought an event in his district that had over 200 pilots from over 30 countries would have rated at least a mention, somewhere.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:55 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

One thing's for sure , till someone can show me the spotter's stations in those trees , those flights aren't #550 compliant .

Or maybe there really ARE two sets of safety codes ? One for us , as Franklin calls us "the unwashed masses" , and one for the higher ups who feel that attracting the droners at all costs , even the cost of going against the same #550 the rest of us has to follow , is well worth breaking the very requirements that we ALL are led to believe ALL are to follow ?

Maybe Franklin's royalty or religious analogies really weren't all that far off of the mark ?

Edited because I was replying to Astro's post #6 , but quoted the wrong post instead , and so I have removed the mistaken quote .

Why does the AMA have anything to do with a commercial endeavor like this? Is AMA insurance in effect for this? When we fly for the movies or a TV commercial or a UAV test we don't call the AMA to see if we are doing it right? And we have separate business insurance.

Sorry if I am getting it wrong I don't see a link and I don't know who is sponsoring it. AMA does not have World Drone Championships unless I missed that

Maybe the nice location explains it?

Last edited by mr_matt; 10-20-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:15 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Why does the AMA have anything to do with a commercial endeavor like this? Is AMA insurance in effect for this? When we fly for the movies or a TV commercial or a UAV test we don't call the AMA to see if we are doing it right? And we have separate business insurance.

Sorry if I am getting it wrong I don't see a link and I don't know who is sponsoring it. AMA does not have World Drone Championships unless I missed that

Maybe the nice location explains it?
Actually this whole thread has NOTHING to do with the AMA and has no business in the forum. It belongs in the "catch all" section
I could understand if it was a sanctioned AMA event but it ain't.
Mike
Old 10-20-2016, 12:36 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Actually this whole thread has NOTHING to do with the AMA and has no business in the forum. It belongs in the "catch all" section
I could understand if it was a sanctioned AMA event but it ain't.
Mike
Mike,
I agree. I've looked over this thread and the included links in the original post and I can't find anything that pertains the AMA as well. Therefore I'm going to move this thread to "The Clubhouse" forum which is more suited for a discussion such as this.

Ken
Old 10-20-2016, 01:25 PM
init4fun

Ok , So now that it's been established that this thread actually has nothing to do with the AMA , I will ask all the readers to disregard my posts asking about compliance with AMA document #550 , FPV operations . When I saw the title "AMA and the World Drone Championships" I naturally thought that if the AMA was involved in sanctioning this event that the Spotter would be needed .

So I guess now I gotta ask , AMA or not , in U.S. airspace , is it OK with the FAA to fly hobby classified UAS beyond the operator's line of sight ? Isn't that a bit of what part 107 is supposed to be dealing with ?
Old 10-20-2016, 01:38 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok , So now that it's been established that this thread actually has nothing to do with the AMA >

When I saw the title "AMA and the World Drone Championships" I naturally thought that if the AMA was involved in sanctioning this event that the Spotter would be needed .
init, I google a drone world championship and the only thing from HI I see is this:

http://droneworlds.com/faqs/

And right in the FAQ :

Do I need an AMA pilot license if I'm from another country?

Yes you will need a Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) license in order to fly and compete in the World Championships. It is mandatory as the World Championships are officially sanctioned by the AMA. It also is your insurance coverage for all events that you will compete.

Look at the part I underlined....why are we insuring this commercial operation?

I don't care about the Basketweaving World Championship either, but we should not be insuring it either.

Last edited by mr_matt; 10-20-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:06 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mr_matt
init, I google a drone world championship and the only thing from HI I see is this:

http://droneworlds.com/faqs/

And right in the FAQ :

Do I need an AMA pilot license if I'm from another country?

Yes you will need a Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) license in order to fly and compete in the World Championships. It is mandatory as the World Championships are officially sanctioned by the AMA. It also is your insurance coverage for all events that you will compete.

Look at the part I underlined....why are we insuring this commercial operation?

I don't care about the Basketweaving World Championship either, but we should not be insuring it either.
What's a AMA License?

Mike
Old 10-20-2016, 02:32 PM
rcmiket

Duplicate post.

Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.